Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 14:39 - Sep 13 with 4083 viewsMorden

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/13/revealed-exciting-football-team-

"Current top flight heavyweights, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal all also finished in the top 10 (for clubs to have played at least 20 seasons in the top four leagues) along with Wolves, Wimbledon, Brighton, Luton and Cambridge.

At the opposite end of the spectrum Halifax Town emerged as the least exciting team in the ranking, slightly ahead of Rochdale, Barnet and Chester."
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 15:14 - Sep 13 with 4034 viewsdeeplishblue

pointless bollocks.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 16:00 - Sep 13 with 3971 viewsrochdaleriddler

If it was just last season and this we would be adrift at the bottom. In home games I mean
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 16:01]

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 17:04 - Sep 13 with 3900 viewsShun

Since Hill’s first appointment I’d wager that we were in the top 10 for continued relative success and excitement, even with the Eyre/Coleman year taken into account. There can’t be many teams who’ve had it as good as we have over the past decade.
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 17:55 - Sep 13 with 3851 viewsAncoats_Blue

I remember a similar article a few years ago, something along the lines of the least successful teams. My reaction to that is the same as the reaction to this article.

My experience of watching Dale is largely positive; 3 play off campaigns, 2 promotions, good cup runs etc. I’d argue I’ve had more “exciting” experience following Dale than a similarly aged fan of say Bury, Oldham, Halifax, Hartlepool, Stockport, York etc to name a few similarly sized clubs

I wasn’t born in the darker days of the club’s history let alone watching us. Whilst I appreciate the numerous re-election campaigns , or the monotony of 36 years in L2 may have been bleak it’s largely irrelevant to a younger fan base (the people the club needs to be attracting).
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 19:18 - Sep 13 with 3735 viewsD_Alien

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 17:55 - Sep 13 by Ancoats_Blue

I remember a similar article a few years ago, something along the lines of the least successful teams. My reaction to that is the same as the reaction to this article.

My experience of watching Dale is largely positive; 3 play off campaigns, 2 promotions, good cup runs etc. I’d argue I’ve had more “exciting” experience following Dale than a similarly aged fan of say Bury, Oldham, Halifax, Hartlepool, Stockport, York etc to name a few similarly sized clubs

I wasn’t born in the darker days of the club’s history let alone watching us. Whilst I appreciate the numerous re-election campaigns , or the monotony of 36 years in L2 may have been bleak it’s largely irrelevant to a younger fan base (the people the club needs to be attracting).

Good post

Just to add though, that whilst the bare facts of those years between say, 1974-2000 do look bleak, the attitude and prevailing mood amongst most Dale fans at the time was one of good humour and genuine excitement at managing to stay afloat in the football league, which has it's own merits as we saw with our great escape from relegation last season

In short, it was far from being all doom and gloom, as i'm sure many another would testify

[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 19:20]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 19:22 - Sep 13 with 3723 viewschalky_ncfc

I had to get nearly to the bottom of the list before I got to Dale,I almost have up t

Notts are twelfth

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 19:41 - Sep 13 with 3688 viewsD_Alien

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 19:22 - Sep 13 by chalky_ncfc

I had to get nearly to the bottom of the list before I got to Dale,I almost have up t

Notts are twelfth

But as you well know, it means nothing!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 19:55 - Sep 13 with 3667 viewsfitzochris

I think it can be easy to forget highlights even in the “dark years” prior to Parkin. I enjoyed Dave Sutton’s era, for example, as mad as he was.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 22:57 - Sep 13 with 3506 viewsSandyman

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 19:55 - Sep 13 by fitzochris

I think it can be easy to forget highlights even in the “dark years” prior to Parkin. I enjoyed Dave Sutton’s era, for example, as mad as he was.

Sutty had his moments, as did Mick Docherty. After that Barrow was a nightmare, but it's been mostly decent since Steve Parkin's first spell in charge. He really did change the psyche of the club and should be remembered well for doing so.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 23:04]
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 23:24 - Sep 13 with 3486 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 19:55 - Sep 13 by fitzochris

Bergara and Dolan were good, albeit for short periods.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 07:10 - Sep 14 with 3364 views442Dale

For me, ‘88 was always the turning point.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 07:21 - Sep 14 with 3359 viewsAncoats_Blue

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 07:41 - Sep 14 with 3348 viewsNigeriamark

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 07:21 - Sep 14 by Ancoats_Blue

although interesting looking at the average over 60 years isn't that useful, they could also break it into chunks e.g the 70's 80's etc

That "bleak" period in the 80's would almost certainly see us at the bottom whereas the last 10 years must put us somewhere near the top 10. As some other posters point out even the bleak times had it's ups ( as long as you ignored the results and the football itself!!). For me it was about the matchday experience, banter, discussing what went wrong and who should play next time etc ( and getting away from the missus for e few hours too)

My favorite game of all time was the win at Crewe on a Friday night when it looked as if we would be re-applying for re-election yet again with a decent chance of not getting back in ( forgotten the season) - The fans that night were brilliant both in number and voice ( We may have taken more than our average home crowd ?)
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 07:55 - Sep 14 with 3333 viewsEllDale

The last dozen years have been amongst the best in the club's history.
But.....in the middle of that we had the Eyre spell when I despaired.
And don't forget that game at Rushden in 2006. We were on the brink then.
I remember that game at Crewe.
And a match at Barnsley in the Doug Collins era which was just as enjoyable.
To be honest I'm just enjoying the ride at the moment.
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 08:28 - Sep 14 with 3322 viewsfitzochris

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 07:55 - Sep 14 by EllDale

The last dozen years have been amongst the best in the club's history.
But.....in the middle of that we had the Eyre spell when I despaired.
And don't forget that game at Rushden in 2006. We were on the brink then.
I remember that game at Crewe.
And a match at Barnsley in the Doug Collins era which was just as enjoyable.
To be honest I'm just enjoying the ride at the moment.

Having spoken to players who played for us during the Parkin era, they are absolutely convinced we would have gone up automatically had he not jumped ship to Barnsely. They all say there was a lull and readjustment period between Parkin leaving and Hollins getting his ideas across.

Had we been promoted under Parkin, who knows what may have happened between then and now? Remember, we had a different chairman at the time and the club set-up was entirely different. It might not have been as sustainable as when we finally did manage promotion.

Sadly, we didn't go up that season, and the modern game finally caught up with us - Simpson, Buckley and Parkin again couldn't cope with it.

That's why we were fortunate to get Dunphy and Hill in many regards. Dunphy told me, for my first book, that there was a £250k black hole' in the club's accounts when he stepped up and he was being advised to go down the administration route. Thank Christ he didn't take the easy option.

Then we have Hill, a progressive manager, landed somewhat fortutitously, who didn't need a massive budget to cope with modern football, just modern ideas and willing players.

With all managers, time catches up with both them and their methods, but the vast percentage of Hill's time at this club has brought happy memories that will be long shared.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 14:10 - Sep 14 with 3211 viewsEllDale

When Parkin left for Barnsley he came back for Gary Jones. If we'd had Jonah all season (whilst recognising that Alan McLaughlin did well when he came in) I'm convinced as well that we'd have been promoted.

I also feel that Paul Simpson might have done better with an experienced second in command.
Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 14:42 - Sep 14 with 3193 viewsDorsetDale

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 07:41 - Sep 14 by Nigeriamark

although interesting looking at the average over 60 years isn't that useful, they could also break it into chunks e.g the 70's 80's etc

That "bleak" period in the 80's would almost certainly see us at the bottom whereas the last 10 years must put us somewhere near the top 10. As some other posters point out even the bleak times had it's ups ( as long as you ignored the results and the football itself!!). For me it was about the matchday experience, banter, discussing what went wrong and who should play next time etc ( and getting away from the missus for e few hours too)

My favorite game of all time was the win at Crewe on a Friday night when it looked as if we would be re-applying for re-election yet again with a decent chance of not getting back in ( forgotten the season) - The fans that night were brilliant both in number and voice ( We may have taken more than our average home crowd ?)

78/79 I reckon, the same season you and I "borrowed" your mum's car to drive over to Huddersfield for another night match. Started snowing heavily on M62 and the windscreen wipers hardly worked, slowest drive ever!!

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 16:20 - Sep 16 with 2986 viewsNigeriamark

Revealed: How exciting your football team has been to support since 195 on 14:42 - Sep 14 by DorsetDale

78/79 I reckon, the same season you and I "borrowed" your mum's car to drive over to Huddersfield for another night match. Started snowing heavily on M62 and the windscreen wipers hardly worked, slowest drive ever!!

I’d only passed my test a week or so before and was cacking it on that drive home. Got worse the next day when I got home from school and my mum asked me if I had taken her car to Huddersfield the night before. Af course I had to say no.
Her next question was could I explain how she had found a Huddersfield Town car park ticket in her car that morning !!

Moral of the story - never lie to your parents, they always know
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024