Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As Things Are Looking Up... 21:30 - Sep 15 with 5095 viewsCleedale

...I was trying to remember the highest and lowest attendances where I'd attended matches at Spotland; not pre-season but competitive 1st team League or Cup matches.

Never bought many home programmes in more recent years but have stacks from way-back-when. So, although not all details available I was a supporter (but not attending) the 2-1 FA Cup victory over Coventry in 1971 (played on a Monday afternoon re-failing floodlights?) when I think the gate was about 13,000. Saw my first game around 1972/73 and seem to think there was an all-time-low of about 400'ish. Perhaps someone can fill in the details of that - was it Cambridge at home and was that also something to do with power cuts/miners strike/floodlights? and therefore played on a mid-week afternoon?

Anyways, digressing here a tad.

Think mine were from the same season - Northampton (FA Cup) 1989/90 : 9,048 and Chester (Ley.Daf.) : 787.

Both these matches were when Spotland was the old ground with the Pearl Street Hill/Mound which I believe was made from deposits collected in levelling the pitch? Some deposits hey? Or some slope?

I'd be interested to know what your individual highest and lowest attended matches at Spotland were and does anyone know of anyone who attended when there was the record 24,000 against Notts County?

Also, can anyone verify whether that 9,000'ish gate has been surpassed since (apart from any rugby league final) the ground came into it's present state - ie. re-all the newer stands?

Many thanks if you can be as boring as me! One point of interest is that Dale's average league attendance over the last 30 years is 2,718 which is very similar to what it is today.

As Things Are Looking Up... on 18:43 - Sep 16 with 997 viewsTVOS1907

As Things Are Looking Up... on 17:56 - Sep 16 by ColDale

Is it right that this kit was replaced midway through a season because the sponsor had faded in the wash over the season or was that just a rumour at the time?

If it was a rumour at the time, it's the first I've heard of it!

There was never any explanation about why we went back to blue; I thought it was just Docherty's preference.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024