Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? 09:16 - Sep 16 with 7830 viewsColDale

When comparing him with the other greats, take into consideration the level that Hendo has done it at, the longevity of doing it and the influence that he has on the team, and can we drop the "one of" when talking about Hendo?
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 05:59 - Sep 18 with 1552 views1907

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 21:16 - Sep 17 by mingthemerciless

I'm not up to speed with the latest group of players but of the ones I have seen Reg was the best. We've had players that have gone on to bigger things like Craig Dawson, David Cross and Alan Taylor to name a few but if you're looking for a player who typified a real club man when times were tough Reg was number one for me. He was there through thick and thin, and there was plenty of thin in those days, but he always looked a class act.

Alan Reeves was a top player also. Football wise he was a better player than Dawson but maybe not quite as good a defender especially with the ball in the air.

I just can’t agree with that last paragraph.

Craig Dawson / Rickie Lambert / Grant Holt have all had successful Premier League football careers. Lambert was even successful at international level.

Dawson will always be the best defender ever to grace this club due to what he has achieved and level of football he has played at for such a period of time.
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 06:59 - Sep 18 with 1520 viewsrkershaw

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 05:59 - Sep 18 by 1907

I just can’t agree with that last paragraph.

Craig Dawson / Rickie Lambert / Grant Holt have all had successful Premier League football careers. Lambert was even successful at international level.

Dawson will always be the best defender ever to grace this club due to what he has achieved and level of football he has played at for such a period of time.

Only true greatness can but bestowed upon a player that brings up his 500th career goal with a miraculous spin volley ala Ibrahimovich ...... please could somebody download?!?
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 09:55 - Sep 18 with 1459 viewsDaleiLama

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 06:59 - Sep 18 by rkershaw

Only true greatness can but bestowed upon a player that brings up his 500th career goal with a miraculous spin volley ala Ibrahimovich ...... please could somebody download?!?

Bonus video (including that overhead kick and a Hendo copycat goal!)

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 10:26 - Sep 18 with 1423 viewsdeeplishblue

Reading posts on here about Hendo passing Stevie Whitehall resulted in me doing a bit of surfing - I remember that this son Danny was on our books at one point so I googled him and found this.

it seems that he is doing well over there in the USA

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 10:42 - Sep 18 with 1406 viewsDaleiLama

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 10:26 - Sep 18 by deeplishblue

Reading posts on here about Hendo passing Stevie Whitehall resulted in me doing a bit of surfing - I remember that this son Danny was on our books at one point so I googled him and found this.

Try Googling the word askew. Weird!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 11:17 - Sep 18 with 1379 viewsJimmyRustler

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 10:26 - Sep 18 by deeplishblue

That video should come with a cringe disclaimer
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 11:55 - Sep 18 with 1344 viewsSheffdale

This is a thread that will not come up with a definitive answer but as I have had the privilege of watching two of the key contenders, Reg and Hendo, I'll add my thoughts. We live in the moment and it's interesting that the thread starts in the afterglow of a fabulous first career hat-trick for Hendo. I was glad I was there to see it and when the third went in I instinctively turned to people behind me because we knew that we had seen another Hendo classic to add to the catalogue.

Over the last few seasons, we will have threads on Hendo's petulance and when some write in anger and frustration, they unbelievably question his fitness to wear the shirt. What we need of course is a sense of perspective that we can only get with Hendo a few years down the line. Today we can get a fuller picture of the footballer than we could 50 years ago and Hendo comes across really well in interviews. With our heroes from yesteryear, there is seldom much to chew on apart from our memories and Observer press cuttings. I'm writing for the programme this year and have done some interviews with past players who say positive things about Reg's influence in the dressing room. So very much a club man and like Hendo good to have around.

Reg was undoubtedly a shining light in the promotion team of 68/69 but what I recall most was the team itself. It was a very small squad assembled by Stokoe pre-season that somehow gelled. Reg was a key member and I endorse other comments above on his style, sportsmanship and how he continued to give all in the seasons that followed. Some will recall Reg's barren spell in autumn 1968. After the first home match when he scored two from the spot, he didn't find the net again until Boxing Day at Workington. In fact Terry Melling was recruited to add firepower in the early autumn. Imagine the 1968 message board thread -" Call Reg Jenkins a striker?" "Is Reg past his best?" So that's why we need perspective because the moment clouds our judgement.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 12:48]
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 12:45 - Sep 18 with 1293 viewsrkershaw

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 11:55 - Sep 18 by Sheffdale

This is a thread that will not come up with a definitive answer but as I have had the privilege of watching two of the key contenders, Reg and Hendo, I'll add my thoughts. We live in the moment and it's interesting that the thread starts in the afterglow of a fabulous first career hat-trick for Hendo. I was glad I was there to see it and when the third went in I instinctively turned to people behind me because we knew that we had seen another Hendo classic to add to the catalogue.

Over the last few seasons, we will have threads on Hendo's petulance and when some write in anger and frustration, they unbelievably question his fitness to wear the shirt. What we need of course is a sense of perspective that we can only get with Hendo a few years down the line. Today we can get a fuller picture of the footballer than we could 50 years ago and Hendo comes across really well in interviews. With our heroes from yesteryear, there is seldom much to chew on apart from our memories and Observer press cuttings. I'm writing for the programme this year and have done some interviews with past players who say positive things about Reg's influence in the dressing room. So very much a club man and like Hendo good to have around.

Reg was undoubtedly a shining light in the promotion team of 68/69 but what I recall most was the team itself. It was a very small squad assembled by Stokoe pre-season that somehow gelled. Reg was a key member and I endorse other comments above on his style, sportsmanship and how he continued to give all in the seasons that followed. Some will recall Reg's barren spell in autumn 1968. After the first home match when he scored two from the spot, he didn't find the net again until Boxing Day at Workington. In fact Terry Melling was recruited to add firepower in the early autumn. Imagine the 1968 message board thread -" Call Reg Jenkins a striker?" "Is Reg past his best?" So that's why we need perspective because the moment clouds our judgement.

Thank you for uploading the Zlatan wonder goal........what a finish!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 14:23 - Sep 18 with 1225 viewsaleanddale

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 11:17 - Sep 18 by JimmyRustler

It is very cringe

Very American so fair play.

As an aside why was the crowd so quiet on Saturday?

3-0 up and zero atmosphere! Are we missing the lads in the corner?
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 14:55 - Sep 18 with 1204 viewsmingthemerciless

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 11:55 - Sep 18 by Sheffdale

The season after the ' Dale got promoted they played Bolton away in the League Cup.

I think the ' Dale were winning 2-1 when the got a direct free kick about 35 yards out from goal on the left hand side. Reg took the free kick and really gave it the treatment. It went like a rocket right across goal and flew into the far top corner. It was like it had been drawn with a ruler and pencil, no bending it, straight as an arrow. It must have travelled about 45 yards. Eddie Hopkinson in Bolton's goal who was an ex England international just stood and watched it.

Bolton came out at half time and Johnny Byrom ran the 'Dale ragged to turn a 3-1 ht lead into a 5-3 defeat but I'll never forget that goal.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 14:59]
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 15:13 - Sep 18 with 1180 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 14:23 - Sep 18 by aleanddale

It is very cringe

Very American so fair play.

As an aside why was the crowd so quiet on Saturday?

3-0 up and zero atmosphere! Are we missing the lads in the corner?

The lads in the corner were there, and struck up an occasional chant with drumming

I thought the atmosphere was reasonable, and i'm guessing the crowd were a bit wary given the three previous fixtures. 2700 home fans was also pretty good and prior to the ST initiative would likely have been several hundred less given our home form and the opposition

The gasp when Hendo twisted to fire home his third was audible even before the ball hit the net!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 15:34 - Sep 18 with 1142 viewsShun

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 11:17 - Sep 18 by JimmyRustler

The Key Lime Pie song was... interesting. Calling rkershaw, we need a rag pudding version.
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 16:36 - Sep 18 with 1106 viewssoulboy

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 14:55 - Sep 18 by mingthemerciless

The season after the ' Dale got promoted they played Bolton away in the League Cup.

I think the ' Dale were winning 2-1 when the got a direct free kick about 35 yards out from goal on the left hand side. Reg took the free kick and really gave it the treatment. It went like a rocket right across goal and flew into the far top corner. It was like it had been drawn with a ruler and pencil, no bending it, straight as an arrow. It must have travelled about 45 yards. Eddie Hopkinson in Bolton's goal who was an ex England international just stood and watched it.

Bolton came out at half time and Johnny Byrom ran the 'Dale ragged to turn a 3-1 ht lead into a 5-3 defeat but I'll never forget that goal.

I was there that night, there was a huge thunderstorm in the first half and the game ended up 6-3!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 16:39]
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 16:39 - Sep 18 with 1105 viewsEllDale

I think that Reg did an awful lot of unselfish work off the pitch just as I am sure that Hendo is a leader amongst the current crop of players.
I remember when Dick Connor signed Jack Howarth from Aldershot for a lot of money.
Howarth was in the Bowling Green on Spotland Road one Saturday night with Reg and he couldn't stop saying how good Reg had been with him, introducing him to the town and making sure that he wasn't sat on his own in a hotel.
The significant thing was that Howarth had been more or less signed to replace Reg and sure enough the latter was given a free transfer in the summer of 1972.
That didn't stop him from looking after Jack and making him welcome.

I honestly don't know how to compare them and I've seen plenty of both. Different games, different eras.

Does anyone know if Albert Whitehurst was a battering ram type of forward or the more subtle, darting around class of player?
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 19:53 - Sep 18 with 993 viewsTVOS1907

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 16:39 - Sep 18 by EllDale

I think that Reg did an awful lot of unselfish work off the pitch just as I am sure that Hendo is a leader amongst the current crop of players.
I remember when Dick Connor signed Jack Howarth from Aldershot for a lot of money.
Howarth was in the Bowling Green on Spotland Road one Saturday night with Reg and he couldn't stop saying how good Reg had been with him, introducing him to the town and making sure that he wasn't sat on his own in a hotel.
The significant thing was that Howarth had been more or less signed to replace Reg and sure enough the latter was given a free transfer in the summer of 1972.

I honestly don't know how to compare them and I've seen plenty of both. Different games, different eras.

Does anyone know if Albert Whitehurst was a battering ram type of forward or the more subtle, darting around class of player?

BigKindo is your man for that sort of information...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 20:42 - Sep 18 with 968 viewsSheffdale

On Albert Whitehurst, a number of us would be interested to know. I see died in 1976 so I wonder whether he was keeping an eye on us as we nailed promotion in 1969? Do programmes from that era (or Observer articles) comment on his death?
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 21:05]
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 20:46 - Sep 18 with 957 viewspioneer

reg was released in summer 1973. He was joint top goalscorer that season with malcolm darling but missed a lot of games with injury.
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 21:29 - Sep 18 with 910 viewskiwidale

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 20:46 - Sep 18 by pioneer

reg was released in summer 1973. He was joint top goalscorer that season with malcolm darling but missed a lot of games with injury.

Its all coming back like a bad dream I remember reading in the OB about Jenkins release came out of the blue. I still haven't got over the shock it signalled the end of my age of innocence, how could they do that to him it wasn't fair. There had been no sign that Reg was nearing the end he was still great to watch and still scored goals. Relegated the season after his release GOOD served the fckers right followed by 40odd years in the Rochdale division for penance. I'm still bitter If we had kept him we would be premier league now.

This is not the time for bickering.

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 02:16 - Sep 19 with 842 viewssoulboy

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 21:29 - Sep 18 by kiwidale

Its all coming back like a bad dream I remember reading in the OB about Jenkins release came out of the blue. I still haven't got over the shock it signalled the end of my age of innocence, how could they do that to him it wasn't fair. There had been no sign that Reg was nearing the end he was still great to watch and still scored goals. Relegated the season after his release GOOD served the fckers right followed by 40odd years in the Rochdale division for penance. I'm still bitter If we had kept him we would be premier league now.

There was quite a bit of bad feeling towards the club at the time, not only did many supporters felt he was released prematurely, but he wasnt offered a testimonial.. If anyone ever deserved one, then it was big Reg.
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 05:43 - Sep 19 with 829 viewskiwidale

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 14:55 - Sep 18 by mingthemerciless

I was at that game 1-3 at HT did not flatter us but we got footballed to death in the second half which was a one way procession we conceded 5 goals and we were lucky. Getting back to Reggie's free kick that you mention it was just a typical Jenkins free kick anything in range (30 yards plus) of goal we expected him to score. Non of this continental bending it around or up and over the wall for Reg he just fired it at and through the wall any defender with any sense got out of the way and those that didn't finished in the net with the ball or the infirmary.

This is not the time for bickering.

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 07:02 - Sep 19 with 805 viewspioneer

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 02:16 - Sep 19 by soulboy

There was quite a bit of bad feeling towards the club at the time, not only did many supporters felt he was released prematurely, but he wasnt offered a testimonial.. If anyone ever deserved one, then it was big Reg.

Reg had a testimonial - it was a 'shared' one with Graham Smith and Dennis Butler at the end of 73-4 season - yes the season to forget, when interest in the club was at an all time low. I hate to think what they each got out of it.
There was a sponsored walk around the tops (I think the club got the buxom barmaid off Coronation street to start the walkers) and a game (v Oldham I think).

It was all a bit of a disaster and further added to the insult of the treatment Reg got.

There was no mention of Albert Whitehurst's passing in 1976 - the club were not very good at much in those years and former players were out of sight and out of mind. However in Whitehurst's case there doesn't seem to be much information available - like the precise date (as opposed to year) of his death. Anybody who scored goals at the rate he did deserved better too.

Lets hope in 30 years time we dont have have fans bemoaning the lack of recognition of the achievements of Jones and Henderson at the club.
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 07:37 - Sep 19 with 777 viewsEllDale

Thanks for correcting me over the year that Reg was released Pioneer.
He was indeed joint top scorer in 1972/73 with eight goals which isn't a massive tally but, as you say, he missed a fair bit of the campaign.
I seem to remember that towards the end of that season we signed Leo Skeete from Mossley and he made a goalscoring debut versus Grimsby (?). Perhaps the club thought that he was the future?
There was an item of memorabilia on Ebay the other week which was a circulated letter from Gus McLean advising other Football League clubs that Reg was available on a free transfer along with Rod Jones, Charlie Simpson and Kenny Williams.

Talking of Hendo, one of my lads remarked last night that he is apparently eligible to play for Scotland! I wonder if he was ever considered?
When he scored that sublime goal against Leeds one of the pundits on the TV highlights programme was Gordon Strachan who was the Scotland boss at the time.
Did it ever cross his mind to give Hendo a chance given the paucity of forwards that he had to select from?
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 08:41 - Sep 19 with 742 viewsmingthemerciless

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 16:36 - Sep 18 by soulboy

I was there that night, there was a huge thunderstorm in the first half and the game ended up 6-3!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 16:39]

A real game of two halves. The 'Dale footballed a very good Bolton side off the park in the first half to go in 3-1 up.
Second half was another story. They had Byrom up front who was a class act. It was one way traffic in the second half.
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 09:44 - Sep 19 with 701 viewsaleanddale

Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 07:37 - Sep 19 by EllDale

Thanks for correcting me over the year that Reg was released Pioneer.
He was indeed joint top scorer in 1972/73 with eight goals which isn't a massive tally but, as you say, he missed a fair bit of the campaign.
I seem to remember that towards the end of that season we signed Leo Skeete from Mossley and he made a goalscoring debut versus Grimsby (?). Perhaps the club thought that he was the future?
There was an item of memorabilia on Ebay the other week which was a circulated letter from Gus McLean advising other Football League clubs that Reg was available on a free transfer along with Rod Jones, Charlie Simpson and Kenny Williams.

Talking of Hendo, one of my lads remarked last night that he is apparently eligible to play for Scotland! I wonder if he was ever considered?
When he scored that sublime goal against Leeds one of the pundits on the TV highlights programme was Gordon Strachan who was the Scotland boss at the time.
Did it ever cross his mind to give Hendo a chance given the paucity of forwards that he had to select from?

Gordon Strachan was asked the question ( By GL on match of the day )

He just gave a wry smile and dismissed the idea quite quickly.

What a goal that was BTW - His best ever in a Dale shirt I recon.
Ian Henderson - greatest of all time? on 12:05 - Sep 19 with 649 viewsmingthemerciless

In that era top goalscorers were usually of the battering ram style. You had two wingers firing in crosses, two inside forwards making the bullets, and you were supposed to just knock the defenders out of the way and put the ball in the back of the net.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024