Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players few people remember 23:46 - Oct 7 with 8872 viewsJames1980

The other day, a colleague/friend was saying, that if you ask someone to name all seven actors in the Magnificent Seven. He has found the one actor most people forget is Brad Dexter.
So who are the footballers most people forget? As in I don't remember him playing for them/us.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Players few people remember on 17:43 - Oct 10 with 1470 viewsYadHoDale

I remember a pre-season game (might have been against Bury) where a young Turkish player called Alpay came on as sub for Dale at Centre Half, and looked a big bloke with a bit of pace.

Some years later, an Alpay played Full International for Turkey, signed for Villa and kicked lumps off David Beckham at every opportunity.

Whilst "Alpay" might be the Turkish equivalent of "Smith" (or Jordan Williams ), and there may be coincidence involved, I've always wondered if it was the same chap...
Players few people remember on 18:02 - Oct 10 with 1448 viewsTVOS1907

Players few people remember on 17:43 - Oct 10 by YadHoDale

I remember a pre-season game (might have been against Bury) where a young Turkish player called Alpay came on as sub for Dale at Centre Half, and looked a big bloke with a bit of pace.

Some years later, an Alpay played Full International for Turkey, signed for Villa and kicked lumps off David Beckham at every opportunity.

Whilst "Alpay" might be the Turkish equivalent of "Smith" (or Jordan Williams ), and there may be coincidence involved, I've always wondered if it was the same chap...

I think you’re thinking of Bilal Aksoy.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Players few people remember on 18:18 - Oct 10 with 1436 viewsYadHoDale

Players few people remember on 18:02 - Oct 10 by TVOS1907

I think you’re thinking of Bilal Aksoy.

Well that's 2/5 on spelling for me... :)

Thanks for the clarification!
Players few people remember on 19:33 - Oct 10 with 1399 viewsTVOS1907

Players few people remember on 18:18 - Oct 10 by YadHoDale

Well that's 2/5 on spelling for me... :)

Thanks for the clarification!

You're right, though. He was awful.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Players few people remember on 20:16 - Oct 10 with 1376 viewsoddjob007

Seem to recall we had a huge turnover of players in the Buckley / Parkin season... must be a few forgetten names in there...

Edit
Season 03/04
Ashley Probets
Rob Betts
Craig Stracham

Season 11/12 (eyre, beech, Coleman) was similar
Dennis Bogdanovic
Mark Twaddle

[Post edited 10 Oct 2018 20:24]
Players few people remember on 21:46 - Oct 10 with 1333 viewsFrog

Players few people remember on 20:16 - Oct 10 by oddjob007

Seem to recall we had a huge turnover of players in the Buckley / Parkin season... must be a few forgetten names in there...

Edit
Season 03/04
Ashley Probets
Rob Betts
Craig Stracham

Season 11/12 (eyre, beech, Coleman) was similar
Dennis Bogdanovic
Mark Twaddle

[Post edited 10 Oct 2018 20:24]

Twaddle was definitely unforgettable.
Players few people remember on 23:24 - Oct 10 with 1301 viewsmikehunt

How about Kieran Toner? Was it him who scored a brace against Wolves once?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Players few people remember on 07:53 - Oct 11 with 1258 viewsEllDale

Ciaran Toner was better than Clark Keltie.
Login to get fewer ads

Players few people remember on 10:24 - Oct 11 with 1209 viewsMeanwood

Always liked Alan Weir from late 70s early 80s. Lived close by and we would sometimes use his gable end to kick the ball against, he would sometimes come out and ask us to stop, but he would usually end up having a kickabout with us youngsters.
Players few people remember on 12:48 - Oct 11 with 1163 viewsEllDale

Signed at the same time as Dennis Wann, a player I admired.
Players few people remember on 16:11 - Oct 11 with 1123 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Players few people remember on 12:48 - Oct 11 by EllDale

Signed at the same time as Dennis Wann, a player I admired.

The performing Seal was around that time too. A few names from the bad old days of the mid 70`s, Billy Boslem, Mike Brennan, Gary Cooper( couldn`t shoot straight) and Paul Brears all of which gave me nightmares and left me mentally scarred for life. Chris Jones though was a class act but we couldn`t afford to keep him.
Players few people remember on 16:44 - Oct 11 with 1105 viewsEllDale

I felt a bit sorry for Brears because he wrecked his knee ligaments in his first game.
The mid-1970's were a dire time. First team squad of around 14 players and some kids.
There were some good pros like Stan Horne, Jim Grummett, Paul Hallows, Tony Lacey and Bill Summerscales but the supporting cast were awful.
One player I appreciated was Peter Creamer but I think that he emigrated after about six months.
Players few people remember on 21:05 - Oct 12 with 999 viewssoulboy

Players few people remember on 16:44 - Oct 11 by EllDale

I felt a bit sorry for Brears because he wrecked his knee ligaments in his first game.
The mid-1970's were a dire time. First team squad of around 14 players and some kids.
There were some good pros like Stan Horne, Jim Grummett, Paul Hallows, Tony Lacey and Bill Summerscales but the supporting cast were awful.
One player I appreciated was Peter Creamer but I think that he emigrated after about six months.

Steve Arnold signed from Liverpool and played in the 73/74 season was a real disappointment and who could possibly forget George Townsend! One on loan player who has neen mentioned on here before was the infamous left back Roger Denton, who played one game for us at Huddersfield in 73/74 and managed to set up 4 of Huddersfields 5 goals! There were however a couple of good old fashioned defenders round that time, Colin Blant, Arthur Marsh and in 74/75 Dick Mulvaney. I think Creamer was late 70s but he was a solid defender, as were Peter Valentine, Keith Hanvey and Bob Scott from that era, and Malcolm Brown from Stockport but he may have played in the early 80s
Putting it into perspectibe it beggars belief that a lot of todays supporters moan about the currnt team!
[Post edited 12 Oct 2018 21:09]
Players few people remember on 05:48 - Oct 13 with 935 viewspioneer

Players few people remember on 21:05 - Oct 12 by soulboy

Steve Arnold signed from Liverpool and played in the 73/74 season was a real disappointment and who could possibly forget George Townsend! One on loan player who has neen mentioned on here before was the infamous left back Roger Denton, who played one game for us at Huddersfield in 73/74 and managed to set up 4 of Huddersfields 5 goals! There were however a couple of good old fashioned defenders round that time, Colin Blant, Arthur Marsh and in 74/75 Dick Mulvaney. I think Creamer was late 70s but he was a solid defender, as were Peter Valentine, Keith Hanvey and Bob Scott from that era, and Malcolm Brown from Stockport but he may have played in the early 80s
Putting it into perspectibe it beggars belief that a lot of todays supporters moan about the currnt team!

I have mentioned Roger Denton several times on other threads but after much effort my therapist apparently managed to get him washed from my memory.....until you went and undid all his good work.

Without any doubt Roger wins the award for the crappiest player ever to adorn the honoured shirt....but my god you also unearthered someone who pushed him all the way for the award....Mr Stephen Arnold...how he ever got signed by Bill Shankly I will never know.

Like me, you obviosly suffered the dark days of the mid to late 70s. I think we should erect an honours board on which we list all season ticket holders during that period under the heading Lest We Forget.

George Townsend....... good lord we could easily open our own house of horrors.
Players few people remember on 07:29 - Oct 13 with 929 viewssoulboy

Players few people remember on 05:48 - Oct 13 by pioneer

I have mentioned Roger Denton several times on other threads but after much effort my therapist apparently managed to get him washed from my memory.....until you went and undid all his good work.

Without any doubt Roger wins the award for the crappiest player ever to adorn the honoured shirt....but my god you also unearthered someone who pushed him all the way for the award....Mr Stephen Arnold...how he ever got signed by Bill Shankly I will never know.

Like me, you obviosly suffered the dark days of the mid to late 70s. I think we should erect an honours board on which we list all season ticket holders during that period under the heading Lest We Forget.

George Townsend....... good lord we could easily open our own house of horrors.

Denton was probably the crappiest playto have played (sorry turned out for us) but running him a very close second was Vernon Allott who managed to make George Donnelly look like Pele.
I think i need a lie down now in a darkened room.
Players few people remember on 10:16 - Oct 14 with 841 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

My Dad told me if I didn`t wash myself properly, I would get Dick Mulvaney. Not sure how I was supposed to take that as I was quite young. George Townsend was a delight to see for all opposition fans. Peter Creamer and Brian Taylor were part of the new signings which helped our great escape, but Terry Owen (Michael`s Dad) and the maestro Bobby Hoy who had all the tricks that fans nowadays think they`re the first time ever used, were the goalscoring heroes. Barnsley away 0-3 will live long in the memory, especially as it was televised by Yorkshire TV. Other nightmares, Mark Leonard, Steve Doyle mentioned already, Chris Lee (assistants son), there are too many to name.
Players few people remember on 10:32 - Oct 14 with 834 viewskiwidale

Players few people remember on 10:16 - Oct 14 by RooleyMoorBlue

My Dad told me if I didn`t wash myself properly, I would get Dick Mulvaney. Not sure how I was supposed to take that as I was quite young. George Townsend was a delight to see for all opposition fans. Peter Creamer and Brian Taylor were part of the new signings which helped our great escape, but Terry Owen (Michael`s Dad) and the maestro Bobby Hoy who had all the tricks that fans nowadays think they`re the first time ever used, were the goalscoring heroes. Barnsley away 0-3 will live long in the memory, especially as it was televised by Yorkshire TV. Other nightmares, Mark Leonard, Steve Doyle mentioned already, Chris Lee (assistants son), there are too many to name.

"My Dad told me if I didn`t wash myself properly, I would get Dick Mulvaney"

Don't do that I've just splattered my coffee and lost my false teeth over my computer.

This is not the time for bickering.

Players few people remember on 10:44 - Oct 14 with 825 viewskiwidale

I remember most of the players mentioned and don't remember them being that bad it was just the way it was back then. I do remember us signing Les Kinsella Colin Blant Malcolm darling and another who's name Ive forgotten household names from Burnley and Bolton with optimism all great signings on paper but they turned shit overnight in a shit team. We did get one good season out of Darling before he turned shit and as for Colin Blant how many times did he get sent off? a complete carthorse turned thug.

This is not the time for bickering.

Players few people remember on 17:23 - Oct 14 with 776 viewsDaleView

Just out of interest, I wonder how many of the older generation can remember these two centre forwards.
Carl Symonds (dark lad from the Caribean, I think)
Adam Wiselewski ( a Polish fellow)
We are going back to the late 1950's I think.
Players few people remember on 07:57 - Oct 15 with 731 viewsEllDale

Jeez, I'd forgotten about Steve Arnold.
Marsh, Blant, Kinsella was, as I remember it, the "halfback line" in Dick Connor's final season. The argument that led to his dismissal was that the board wanted to concentrate on youth instead of the experienced pros that he had signed but which kept us in the division.
He also had Dick Renwick and Peter Gowans in this category.
I'm too young to remember the two forwards that you mention.
I do remember a striker called Barrie Hutchinson though who played in the season before we went up.
He seemed to get an awful lot of stick from the old timers in the crowd yet he scored an awfully important goal as we surprisingly beat Bradford City on Easter Saturday 1968.
Players few people remember on 11:01 - Oct 15 with 697 viewsmingthemerciless

We're talking of the " ten clowns and a performing Seal " era.
I remember seeing Barry Hutchinson playing for Darlington when they had a promotion team and he looked a real handful. A season or two later when he signed for the ' Dale ' I thought " We've got a good 'un here ". Sadly he was nothing like the lad I saw play for the Quakers.

One player I really rated was a lad from Bolton called Graham Cunliffe. He been let go when Bolton got relegated from the old Div 1 and they needed to cut the wage bill. He was a class act in a sort of defensive midfield role. He always had bags of time and very rarely had to dive into tackles. He read the game perfectly. On the ball he was very constructive and rarely gave it away.

He wasn't a flashy player so a lot of what he did went un-noticed by the non players among the fans but to me as a young player he was great to watch.

He was a top player in the George Morton, Reg Jenkins team that very nearly got promoted.

At the end of that season he called it a day to open a newsagents shop when he still had plenty of football in him !
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 11:09]
Players few people remember on 13:09 - Oct 15 with 662 viewspioneer

Players few people remember on 10:44 - Oct 14 by kiwidale

I remember most of the players mentioned and don't remember them being that bad it was just the way it was back then. I do remember us signing Les Kinsella Colin Blant Malcolm darling and another who's name Ive forgotten household names from Burnley and Bolton with optimism all great signings on paper but they turned shit overnight in a shit team. We did get one good season out of Darling before he turned shit and as for Colin Blant how many times did he get sent off? a complete carthorse turned thug.

The name you cannot remember is Arthur Marsh I think.
Players few people remember on 13:19 - Oct 15 with 648 viewssoulboy

Two players not mentioned on this thread are the iconic Bob Mountford, a real centre forward who dared to put his head where many players were too scared to put their feet and the brilliant winger Tony Whelan. Many times boots and bodies were flying about in the six yard box and Bob would emerge through the lot of them unscathed after putting the ball in the opponents net. As for Whelan his ability to dance round defenders as if they werent there was a joy to watch.
Players few people remember on 13:26 - Oct 15 with 642 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The player to genuinely score at Anfield, that is, an allowed bona fide proper goal and not just a cheeky worldie after the referee’s blown his whistle.

Ladies and gentlemen, Kevin Stonehouse.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 13:28]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Players few people remember on 13:37 - Oct 15 with 627 viewsdawlishdale

Players few people remember on 13:09 - Oct 15 by pioneer

The name you cannot remember is Arthur Marsh I think.

Arthur Marsh could head a ball further than most players could kick it, according to my dad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024