Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coleman on his time with us 17:27 - Oct 17 with 3713 viewsoddjob007

The 56-year-old left Accrington to join Rochdale in 2012, a decision he came to regret hugely, returning to Stanley in September 2014 following spells at Southport and League of Ireland side Sligo Rovers.

"We had such an affinity with the people of the town of Accrington," he says. "We went to funerals, weddings, christenings. We were close to a lot of people in and out of the club.

"But I thought the club was in danger of going under. I just thought I was standing still. I regret leaving now because I went to a club I shouldn't have gone to.

"It was a poor time for me, a depressing time. And I did go into depression. I found it very difficult. You miss the stress more than anything and you miss purpose in your life and it just snowballs and you overanalyse things."
Coleman on his time with us on 18:16 - Oct 17 with 3620 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Has SoftLad written a book?.........a must(not) read if so.
Coleman on his time with us on 19:04 - Oct 17 with 3535 viewsfinberty

“You miss the stress more than anything...”

He ought to have had a good look around at the Dale fans at that time. He’d soon have found some stress.
Coleman on his time with us on 19:23 - Oct 17 with 3479 viewselectricblue

Stress!!!.he got a pay off..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Coleman on his time with us on 20:03 - Oct 17 with 3387 views442Dale

Coleman on his time with us on 18:16 - Oct 17 by Yorkshire_Dale

Has SoftLad written a book?.........a must(not) read if so.

No, there’s a piece on Accrington here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45782437

No matter what happened at Dale, Coleman is deserving of some respect for what he’s achieved. It’s a good article and there are some interesting comments about always aiming to get out of the league you’re in.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Coleman on his time with us on 20:12 - Oct 17 with 3361 viewsBigDaveMyCock

What he’s achieved at Accy since then though has been nothing short of miraculous. Champions with 93 points last season and only lost two so far this season. This comes from a BBC article and he’s not expressly derogatory about Dale. He’s clearly moved on. The article provides some stats and they’re extremely good. Accy have only lost 5 out their last 42 home games and have kept 7 clean sheets out of their last 15. They are doing very well.

Posted prior to seeing 442’s post.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 20:15]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Coleman on his time with us on 20:19 - Oct 17 with 3343 viewsfitzochris

He says some stuff about his time at Dale in this book, too. Not sure if it’s any good or not...

https://amzn.to/2Es4qx9

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Coleman on his time with us on 20:23 - Oct 17 with 3325 viewsfirgrovedale51

The 56-year-old left Accrington to join Rochdale in 2012, a decision he came to regret hugely,
So does Rochdale we lost a true club legend because of him.
Coleman on his time with us on 21:22 - Oct 17 with 3205 viewsrochdale_ranger

We enjoyed success after he left and returned to league one. To say the work he has done at Stanley is anything less then amazing would just be churlish. He just wasn’t the right fit here like Hill wasn’t at Barnsley.
Login to get fewer ads

Coleman on his time with us on 07:55 - Oct 18 with 2960 viewsEllDale

That article mentions first team John Doolan. Is that the same one who played for us?
Could be because Accy under Coleman have always seemed to have had a strong nucleus of Liverpudlians.
Lee McEvilly played a big part in getting them out of the Conference.
I've noticed as well that Sean McConville seems to score a lot of goals for them. The nearest that he came to pulling on a shirt for us was in the team photo!
Coleman on his time with us on 09:54 - Oct 18 with 2860 viewssweetcorn

Coleman on his time with us on 07:55 - Oct 18 by EllDale

That article mentions first team John Doolan. Is that the same one who played for us?
Could be because Accy under Coleman have always seemed to have had a strong nucleus of Liverpudlians.
Lee McEvilly played a big part in getting them out of the Conference.
I've noticed as well that Sean McConville seems to score a lot of goals for them. The nearest that he came to pulling on a shirt for us was in the team photo!

It wasnt, McConville played for us..

Nothing against coleman, I just think we were too big for him (sounds strange saying something like that about dale) meaning he couldnt get away with half the tin-pot shite he did and probably does at accrington.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Coleman on his time with us on 14:31 - Oct 18 with 2674 viewsSandyDrum

I go to quite a lot of Accrington games, I was there away at Shrewsbury last week.

One of my mates supports them and we go and watch each other's team a few times a season for a day out.

What Accrington have at the moment is very similar to what we had the the very first time we went up to League 1.

They're playing some great football, surprising some of the bigger teams. Coleman is working wonders there, just like Hill worked wonders (and still does) for us.

They've got some real momentum going at the moment and it is very much a family club, every fan seems to know each other and I think they're just riding the high that they're on.

I expect them to finish just outside the playoffs, but just like us when we first went up, without some real investment they'll be back in League 2 in a couple of seasons. It's how they react to that which is most important.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Coleman on his time with us on 18:13 - Oct 18 with 2495 viewsYadHoDale

I think Coleman suffered from being left a complete shambles by Steve Eyre when he took over at Dale. He made some decent signings for us -:Josh Lillis, Joe Rafferty, Rhyl Bennett and Bobby Grant are still playing at L1 level, and McConville and Matt Pearson have also developed into useful players since leaving us. Peter Cavanagh also had a couple of useful seasons, while the likes of Allen, Camps and Cannon were working their way through the youth teams.

He did suffer with Crainey and PutterIll being "sicknotes", whilst Donnelly, Gornell, Adebola and Symes all flattered to deceive up front.

By no means a total disaster, unlike some (Eyre, Buckley, Greenhoff were all hopeless) and although it was right to make the change when we did I'm glad he's had success back at Accy.
Coleman on his time with us on 20:25 - Oct 18 with 2381 viewsChaffRAFC

Coleman on his time with us on 18:13 - Oct 18 by YadHoDale

I think Coleman suffered from being left a complete shambles by Steve Eyre when he took over at Dale. He made some decent signings for us -:Josh Lillis, Joe Rafferty, Rhyl Bennett and Bobby Grant are still playing at L1 level, and McConville and Matt Pearson have also developed into useful players since leaving us. Peter Cavanagh also had a couple of useful seasons, while the likes of Allen, Camps and Cannon were working their way through the youth teams.

He did suffer with Crainey and PutterIll being "sicknotes", whilst Donnelly, Gornell, Adebola and Symes all flattered to deceive up front.

By no means a total disaster, unlike some (Eyre, Buckley, Greenhoff were all hopeless) and although it was right to make the change when we did I'm glad he's had success back at Accy.

He changed the attitude of the club and not for the betting. He wanted to run it like a Sunday League team. Lots of stories came out like players being told that if they all gave JC money, they could scrap training sessions and the bookie in the bath etc.

We all know the stories surrounding Gary Jones and his reaction to some "unprofessional" behavior leading to him being shown the door and never setting foot back at the club since despite being one of the biggest legends to have ever been at the club.

We also saw that behavior on the pitch with the antics of Bobby Grant, diving left, right and centre. Stories about Ray Putterill, and me having seen things myself that I didn't like, involving Putterill as it happens.

Some of that you can overlook if you're winning games on a regular basis because while you don't like it, it's having a positive effect, but we weren't winning games and there was a very real danger of going down to the Conference had Keith Hill not come back.

Big respect for what he's done at Accrington, but for me, he's proven that he belongs at what is essentially a non-league club in stature.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Coleman on his time with us on 21:32 - Oct 18 with 2297 viewsD_Alien

Coleman on his time with us on 20:25 - Oct 18 by ChaffRAFC

He changed the attitude of the club and not for the betting. He wanted to run it like a Sunday League team. Lots of stories came out like players being told that if they all gave JC money, they could scrap training sessions and the bookie in the bath etc.

We all know the stories surrounding Gary Jones and his reaction to some "unprofessional" behavior leading to him being shown the door and never setting foot back at the club since despite being one of the biggest legends to have ever been at the club.

We also saw that behavior on the pitch with the antics of Bobby Grant, diving left, right and centre. Stories about Ray Putterill, and me having seen things myself that I didn't like, involving Putterill as it happens.

Some of that you can overlook if you're winning games on a regular basis because while you don't like it, it's having a positive effect, but we weren't winning games and there was a very real danger of going down to the Conference had Keith Hill not come back.

Big respect for what he's done at Accrington, but for me, he's proven that he belongs at what is essentially a non-league club in stature.

I'd 100% agree with that, except there will be many non-league outfits who wouldn't countenance the type of behaviour you've described - just the opposite in fact, being models of honest professional endeavour

But i know your intention wasn't to put non-league clubs into the disreputable category, but to illustrate the lack of professionalism we had to suffer under Coleman

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Coleman on his time with us on 23:28 - Oct 18 with 2185 viewsShun

I heard the story about money in exchange for missed training sessions, which is bad enough, but what were the ones about the bookie in the bath and Putterill? And I never quite understood what happened with Jones, did anything about that come out too?

Personally I don’t think we would’ve been relegated if he’d stayed, far from it. We’d been in a playoff challenge for the first half of the season and even when he was sacked we were still only a few points off the playoffs. I also think that, despite the fans’ resentment at what the team was turning into, the one and only reason he lost his job was that Hill had become available.
Coleman on his time with us on 08:34 - Oct 19 with 2037 viewsfitzochris

Coleman on his time with us on 23:28 - Oct 18 by Shun

I heard the story about money in exchange for missed training sessions, which is bad enough, but what were the ones about the bookie in the bath and Putterill? And I never quite understood what happened with Jones, did anything about that come out too?

Personally I don’t think we would’ve been relegated if he’d stayed, far from it. We’d been in a playoff challenge for the first half of the season and even when he was sacked we were still only a few points off the playoffs. I also think that, despite the fans’ resentment at what the team was turning into, the one and only reason he lost his job was that Hill had become available.

Re: Jones - only Coleman's version of events has been made public: https://amzn.to/2NOimRC

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024