Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fiddly Hilly? 20:22 - Nov 2 with 14203 viewsD_Dale

I thought there might have been some comment on the manager's pre-match thoughts posted on the OS this afternoon. Some of them are pasted below.

Over the years, unless forced to make changes because of injury or suspension, Hill has tended to follow the 'don't change a winning side' mantra. Surely he's not really going to make 'at least six changes' to the team that beat Charlton?

Also surprising is the information that last Saturday he was so late in deciding his selection that the team sheet had to be rewritten.

I appreciate his preparedness to share his thoughts, but the implication that he'll pick the team to start against Luton in an intuitive, last-minute sort of way is a bit unnerving. Maybe it's part of a cunning plan to foil the visiting manager's tactics.

“It was a good win last weekend against Charlton. It leaves me quite confused, to be honest” said Hill in his pre-match interview.

“It took me the best part of a full week and a few hours to select that side - Tony had already done the team sheet when I came in [on the morning of the game] and he had to fill a new one in, so as much as we did really well against Charlton and showed our working qualities, I think I’ve got to rip the plan up and start again because we don’t seem to be getting any consistency.

“When we win we games, I think I’ve got to change at least six players to get another winning formula for the next game.

“I feel as though it’s not just a question of our plans, it’s also a feeling as well [which is why I made the decision on the day of the game]. We got it right against Charlton, but we got it so wrong — the players and myself against Wycombe — but we got it so right against Bradford. If I go on training, I think probably a third of the team that started on Saturday don’t play.”
Fiddly Hilly? on 20:38 - Nov 2 with 5596 viewsrich_dale

Beat me to it. He seems to vest a lot into how training goes during the week. Can take an educated guess at some of the players he doesn't think are pulling their weight. Hope he at least keeps the same back four.
Fiddly Hilly? on 20:45 - Nov 2 with 5576 viewsrochdaleriddler

So a player can play well in a game, then upset Hill in training and get dropped?. I think a winning team should earn the chance to play in the next game, we have subs to alter things if needed. This chopping and changing is silly

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Fiddly Hilly? on 20:58 - Nov 2 with 5541 viewsrich_dale

Fiddly Hilly? on 20:45 - Nov 2 by rochdaleriddler

So a player can play well in a game, then upset Hill in training and get dropped?. I think a winning team should earn the chance to play in the next game, we have subs to alter things if needed. This chopping and changing is silly

Agreed. Just because a player doesn't train that well in the week doesn't mean the team from last Sat won't gel on the day and play well again.
Fiddly Hilly? on 20:59 - Nov 2 with 5538 viewsMolly

There's a simple solution to that one. When we win a game don't bother training the following week.
Fiddly Hilly? on 21:09 - Nov 2 with 5516 viewsrochdaleriddler

Fiddly Hilly? on 20:59 - Nov 2 by Molly

There's a simple solution to that one. When we win a game don't bother training the following week.

how would we learn to defend corners and crosses, without the intensive work that clearly goes in training

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Fiddly Hilly? on 21:22 - Nov 2 with 5497 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Fiddly Hilly? on 21:09 - Nov 2 by rochdaleriddler

how would we learn to defend corners and crosses, without the intensive work that clearly goes in training

Teach them boxing instead??
Fiddly Hilly? on 21:23 - Nov 2 with 5491 viewsMolly

Fiddly Hilly? on 21:09 - Nov 2 by rochdaleriddler

No problem. We simply put the numbers 1 to 11 in a hat and before each match Hilly draws out the lucky winner to decide who's turn it is to make the World class error that week.
Fiddly Hilly? on 22:26 - Nov 2 with 5402 viewsnordenblue

While at the same time he moans about a lack of consistency, I wonder where that stems from...Jesus wept if this is what going to all these fancy coaching courses does I'd be giving them a wide swerve..... He has the ability to massively overcomplicate a very simple game,in his own typical cliche riddled bollox "there's no question about that"
Login to get fewer ads

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:29 - Nov 2 with 5392 viewsdalenumber2

"I think I’ve got to rip the plan up and start again because we don’t seem to be getting any consistency"
Fiddly Hilly? on 22:47 - Nov 2 with 5363 viewsJames1980

Does anyone on here know if B o D watch training sessions?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:48 - Nov 2 with 5353 viewsdingdangblue

'we got it so wrong — the players and myself against Wycombe'

Is that a 1st for Hilly?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:52 - Nov 2 with 5346 viewsdingdangblue

Bloody hell! Andy Cannon must be training worse than Paddy McCourt!! 😮

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:57 - Nov 2 with 5351 viewsColDale

I loved the completely random reference to Tony Ellis's handwriting
Fiddly Hilly? on 23:33 - Nov 2 with 5294 viewsrochdale_ranger

Hill must be acting the goat if DDB is having a pop at him.
Fiddly Hilly? on 23:36 - Nov 2 with 5290 viewsnordenblue

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:48 - Nov 2 by dingdangblue

Is that a 1st for Hilly?

Not really he's got the idea of defending wrong for over 18 months
Fiddly Hilly? on 08:48 - Nov 3 with 5119 viewsDale23years

Fiddly Hilly? on 22:48 - Nov 2 by dingdangblue

Is that a 1st for Hilly?

Deffo first time, but fair play to him for it, he put it right next game as well. Think if we lose today the above comments might come back to bite him on the arse.

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Fiddly Hilly? on 09:37 - Nov 3 with 5050 viewsDaleiLama

"As much as we did really well against Charlton and showed our working qualities, I think I’ve got to rip the plan up and start again because we don’t seem to be getting any consistency"

Had he said we are playing a better team (e.g. Barnsley) and that level of performance wouldn't have by been good enough, I could have understood it.

Saying we did really well but aren't consistent just reminds me why I don't put great stock in what he says or bother listening to it most of the time. For me this is an individual error, as is making 6 changes. Anyway, let's see.

Up the Dale

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Fiddly Hilly? on 09:49 - Nov 3 with 4993 viewsfunkkk

Wow. Anyone else find this massively alarming? In November he has no idea; what his best team is, who wil play from one week to the next or what system to use.

Imagine if a premier league manager came out with these words, they'd be slaughtered in the press. It's borderline incompetence.
Fiddly Hilly? on 09:57 - Nov 3 with 4981 viewsdalenumber2

He talks in riddles, always has. I don’t think he knows what he’s saying most of the time. I think’pinch of salt’ is the best approach when listening to his interviews.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 10:07]
Fiddly Hilly? on 10:12 - Nov 3 with 4953 viewsColDale

Fiddly Hilly? on 09:49 - Nov 3 by funkkk

Wow. Anyone else find this massively alarming? In November he has no idea; what his best team is, who wil play from one week to the next or what system to use.

Imagine if a premier league manager came out with these words, they'd be slaughtered in the press. It's borderline incompetence.

Incompetence which currently has us on track for our sixth best season in our 111 year history.

Its an honesty from Hilly which a game playing PL manager wouldn't dream of doing. I reckon he's probably finding things more frustrating now than he ever has before. IN fairness we slaughtered Steve Eyre when he said he stumbled across that side at Bury that time but if Hilly is guilty of anything, its possibly from trying to many different things because of the size of the squad rather than deciding on a plan and sticking with it.

He'll have a best XI in his head but that best XI hasn't performed this season. What works on paper isn't automatically transferring to a matchday. Take the keeper - I think Moore is our 3rd best keeper at best and there's no comparison between him and Lillis, but Moore has two clean sheets in three matches.

It's been an awkward season, but the wins have been deserved as have the defeats so we are probably in a very true position in the table and like I said, there have only been five seasons in our history where we have bettered where we are now.
Fiddly Hilly? on 10:15 - Nov 3 with 4940 viewsJimmyRustler

Bizarre comments from a bizarre man
Fiddly Hilly? on 10:23 - Nov 3 with 4900 viewsrochdaleriddler

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:12 - Nov 3 by ColDale

Incompetence which currently has us on track for our sixth best season in our 111 year history.

Its an honesty from Hilly which a game playing PL manager wouldn't dream of doing. I reckon he's probably finding things more frustrating now than he ever has before. IN fairness we slaughtered Steve Eyre when he said he stumbled across that side at Bury that time but if Hilly is guilty of anything, its possibly from trying to many different things because of the size of the squad rather than deciding on a plan and sticking with it.

He'll have a best XI in his head but that best XI hasn't performed this season. What works on paper isn't automatically transferring to a matchday. Take the keeper - I think Moore is our 3rd best keeper at best and there's no comparison between him and Lillis, but Moore has two clean sheets in three matches.

It's been an awkward season, but the wins have been deserved as have the defeats so we are probably in a very true position in the table and like I said, there have only been five seasons in our history where we have bettered where we are now.

I accept that Hill has done wonders, the frustrating thing is now he is like a pop singer that doesn’t like playing his old hits, and is now a bit above himself and sings them in a jazz fusion style to be ‘innovative’ and different. Fact is the fans want the same old, but go along with it because they keep hoping he will revert to type and play to the crowd.

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:27 - Nov 3 with 4885 viewsfitzochris

He’s not yet reached the stage where he releases an album and forces it into everybody’s iTunes account.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:27 - Nov 3 with 4879 views442Dale

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:12 - Nov 3 by ColDale

Which is why he needs to stop mentioning how happy he is with the quality of the squad and look to reduce it because there’s a clear message that the quantity has no bearing on that quality or results. We are currently wasting money and possibly stifling the development of younger players by carrying the amount of individuals we are. A great example of this is Aaron Morley.

Still, it’s good to see Hill take accountability in an interview and give a clear illustration of why we are currently experiencing these issues and an obvious route forward. The problem creator is also the problem solver.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:34 - Nov 3 with 4858 viewsfitzochris

Fiddly Hilly? on 10:27 - Nov 3 by 442Dale

Which is why he needs to stop mentioning how happy he is with the quality of the squad and look to reduce it because there’s a clear message that the quantity has no bearing on that quality or results. We are currently wasting money and possibly stifling the development of younger players by carrying the amount of individuals we are. A great example of this is Aaron Morley.

Still, it’s good to see Hill take accountability in an interview and give a clear illustration of why we are currently experiencing these issues and an obvious route forward. The problem creator is also the problem solver.

Zach Clough is a case in point. Hilly was offered him on loan (thanks to Sam Hart’s agent) and felt he couldn’t say no to a player of that reputable quality.

However, he clearly isn’t a Keith Hill player or trainer and is potentially another antagonist in justifiably asking why he isn’t playing.

Perkins is another. Bring him back for a year by all means, but two???

I think Hill has some brave decisions to make in January (and perhaps some are out of his hands).

Meanwhile, he has pretty much said what he needs to do. We have to hope it works.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024