Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport 13:30 - Nov 7 with 13821 viewsaleanddale

I have just dropped off my elderly parents at Manchester airport.

WTF - for dropping off passengers ( I mean less than 5 minutes ) to drop them off with bags and a charge of £4.00.

this is £48 per hour!! Profiteering at its worse - Shame on you Manchester airport.

A definite boycott from me - Has any one managed to drop off friends / relatives and get around this charge?.

any ideas welcome.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:35 - Nov 7 with 7880 viewslyberoc

Last time we flew we got dropped off at the roundabout on Ringway Rd and walked in so avoided the charge, it,s not a long walk but would depend on how elderly/infirm the passengers are
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:42 - Nov 7 with 7854 viewsrochdale_ranger

So you’ll spend thousands on flights and accommodation, hundreds on new holiday clothes etc but the four quid drop off charge would put you off flying from Manchester and you would go through the rigmarole of flying from an airport further away at more cost in transportation/fuel?

They have got you by the bollocxs and they know it. When I Book a taxi to the airport the cost of a the drop off is now included with the price.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 13:42]
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:42 - Nov 7 with 7851 viewsEllDale

I've started taking the train. It's not a bad service and under cover all the way once you get off the train.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:43 - Nov 7 with 7845 viewsrochdale_ranger

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:42 - Nov 7 by EllDale

I've started taking the train. It's not a bad service and under cover all the way once you get off the train.

When I lived in Rochdale I used to get the train. Didn’t mind it either.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:53 - Nov 7 with 7822 viewsDaleiLama

The base charge should be £3, which goes up to £4 depending on how long you take to disembark and clear?

In addition to the other comments already posted, there is also a free drop off point at each terminal. But guess what - it's a shuttle service to the airport and whilst the shuttle runs every 6 (?) minutes it may not do as well. So you may then be faced with the stress of waiting and maybe not sitting together depending on how you booked etc.

Like RR, I also go there reasonably regularly on business and the charge is rolled into the cab fare. Out of interest, I asked the cabbie last time I flew where the drop off point was and he didn't even know. After three weeks of being opened, no one had asked to be dropped there.

It is a fooking con and an additional holiday tax on top of all the other taxes you already pay to go away. If we have more summers like the last, I would imagine staycations will become ever more popular. The only consolation is that all other airports are at it and John Lennon introduced it well before Ringway. I think there's only one smaller regional airport that doesn't fleece you now. And to top it off, there are huge security queues, horrendous waits for baggage are routine now and only half the biometric readers are ever operational when you land. Mcr Airport used to be the best. It's bobbins now.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:57 - Nov 7 with 7809 viewsnordenblue

We came back from Spain during half term with the kids and got stung an extra £3 either journey off the taxi driver too for this scam,apparently they buy an annual pass that works out cheaper, talking to him he reckons it's caused absolute chaos since it was brought in, it's intended to ease congestion.

They will bring in a congestion charge soon enough to enter various parts of Manchester,they've tried for a while to bring it in in various formats.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:03 - Nov 7 with 7790 viewsCreepy

I think the problem stems from people having started to use the free drop off area for departures, to also pick people up on arrival. I've been to drop people off on occasions before the charge and it was absolute chaos. Yes, it's annoying having to pay £3 or £4 for a drop off but as a previous poster said, its a small cost in relation to the rest of your trip and the free drop off zone is still available with a free shuttle bus. Plus, if you're getting dropped off at the airport, you'll be saving money on taxis/train fares anyway.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:04 - Nov 7 with 7787 viewsD_Alien

In addition to the above, the signage is shite and in some places, contradictory. For people driving in who're unfamiliar with the layout, it's possible to drive round in circles for a very long time before you find where you want to go, especially if it's dark and raining (it's Manchester...)

I've not flown from Heathrow, but of all the other airports i've used at home and abroad, Manchester is by far the crappiest and the drop-off charges are just the inedible icing on a poisonous cake. As a gateway for most foreign visitors to the region, it's a very bad start

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:04 - Nov 7 with 7789 viewsonedalefan

Free drop off point is next to JetPark 1 and then shuttles round all 3 terminals like all other shuttle buses. Have used it once and was the only person on it. What they should do is use it as a free shuttle to pick up in the same place.
Leeds / Bradford airport has a free drop off / pick up that you can use for an hour.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:06 - Nov 7 with 7780 viewsrochdale_ranger

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:57 - Nov 7 by nordenblue

We came back from Spain during half term with the kids and got stung an extra £3 either journey off the taxi driver too for this scam,apparently they buy an annual pass that works out cheaper, talking to him he reckons it's caused absolute chaos since it was brought in, it's intended to ease congestion.

They will bring in a congestion charge soon enough to enter various parts of Manchester,they've tried for a while to bring it in in various formats.

Manchester City centre is now a joke. I had a meeting near peters square on Monday and parked in the NCP car park behind canal street (not the multi storey one) which I usually do when I’m in town and they have changed the machines so you have to enter your reg but the machines appeared not to be working. I ended up using a car park on tariff st all the way in the northern quarter! It was a good job I arrived in good time. And don’t get me started on the bus lanes and one way systems in town. Total nightmare.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:13 - Nov 7 with 7759 viewsnordenblue

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:06 - Nov 7 by rochdale_ranger

Manchester City centre is now a joke. I had a meeting near peters square on Monday and parked in the NCP car park behind canal street (not the multi storey one) which I usually do when I’m in town and they have changed the machines so you have to enter your reg but the machines appeared not to be working. I ended up using a car park on tariff st all the way in the northern quarter! It was a good job I arrived in good time. And don’t get me started on the bus lanes and one way systems in town. Total nightmare.

Read an article about a firm offering a job for 50k a year and people bluntly turned it down purely on being located in the city centre, the work on Regent street has brought the place to a standstill at any time of day recently too.

The guided bus from where I am near the East Lancs is a brilliant service and beats driving in at most time of the day and for around £4 return you dont have to piss about parking up either, saying that surely building an extra lane for all traffic to use rather than 50 folk sat on a bus would ease congestion more.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 14:14]
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:17 - Nov 7 with 7745 viewsdale5758

i came across this being advertisedt at Gatwick yesterday and was intrigued https://www.help-me-park.co.uk/
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 14:18]

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:45 - Nov 7 with 7702 viewsdeeplishblue

Can I just add a gripe about the "smart" motorway.

It now takes an average of an hour to get back to Rochdale from Trafford park.

The problem area appears to be the new layout at simister island at j18

they have added an extra filter for vehicles wishing to stay on the m60 or taking the m66 owever it appears that drivers are delaying the point at which they manoeuvre into the 2 nearside lanes and this is clogging up lanes 3 and 4. The resultant slowdown usually stretches back to the m61 junction.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:05 - Nov 7 with 7663 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:45 - Nov 7 by deeplishblue

they have added an extra filter for vehicles wishing to stay on the m60 or taking the m66 owever it appears that drivers are delaying the point at which they manoeuvre into the 2 nearside lanes and this is clogging up lanes 3 and 4. The resultant slowdown usually stretches back to the m61 junction.

Tbf Deeplish, I don't think the smart motorway has caused that problem - it's been like that since Adam was a lad. It's just like getting off the M56 onto the M60. Exact same layout, exact same problem. It's related to volume of traffic. I've been a regular user of both and try to avoid them like the plague anywhere near rush hour. Have you tried coming the other way round and up Broadway/A627M (or another variation)? That side usually flows better, but not always.

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:12 - Nov 7 with 7652 viewsrochdaleriddler

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:04 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

In addition to the above, the signage is shite and in some places, contradictory. For people driving in who're unfamiliar with the layout, it's possible to drive round in circles for a very long time before you find where you want to go, especially if it's dark and raining (it's Manchester...)

I've not flown from Heathrow, but of all the other airports i've used at home and abroad, Manchester is by far the crappiest and the drop-off charges are just the inedible icing on a poisonous cake. As a gateway for most foreign visitors to the region, it's a very bad start

Agree it’s crap, Leeds Bradford is better, but they have had charges longer, and flights tend to be dearer. The direct link to the airport from the Calderdale line was supposed to be open now, but is postponed Indefinately due to not opening the extra platforms at Piccadilly . Whilst we piss away billions on HS2 northern transport updates that would make real difference are mothballed

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:16 - Nov 7 with 7454 viewsdeeplishblue

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 15:05 - Nov 7 by DaleiLama

Tbf Deeplish, I don't think the smart motorway has caused that problem - it's been like that since Adam was a lad. It's just like getting off the M56 onto the M60. Exact same layout, exact same problem. It's related to volume of traffic. I've been a regular user of both and try to avoid them like the plague anywhere near rush hour. Have you tried coming the other way round and up Broadway/A627M (or another variation)? That side usually flows better, but not always.

I usually follow google directions - and it v rarely suggests anti clockwise through stockport - unless there is a closure.

I have been working in TP for 15 years so I am used to the ebbs and flows of the M60 but I do think the changes to Simister Island are having a negative effect - previously you might get slow moving traffic at the top of Death Valley 10-20% of the time now it seems more like 80-90%

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 18:02 - Nov 7 with 7375 viewsDaleiLama

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 17:16 - Nov 7 by deeplishblue

I usually follow google directions - and it v rarely suggests anti clockwise through stockport - unless there is a closure.

I have been working in TP for 15 years so I am used to the ebbs and flows of the M60 but I do think the changes to Simister Island are having a negative effect - previously you might get slow moving traffic at the top of Death Valley 10-20% of the time now it seems more like 80-90%

Fair play - I'll defer to your greater experience - my usage is 50:50 weekends too anyway. I'm at J25 of the M60 and when I go up the M61, navigation always takes me clockwise to go North, but it's nearly always quieter going anticlockwise and therefore quicker.

Never heard it called death valley before - love it.

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 18:42 - Nov 7 with 7308 viewsnordenblue

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 18:02 - Nov 7 by DaleiLama

Fair play - I'll defer to your greater experience - my usage is 50:50 weekends too anyway. I'm at J25 of the M60 and when I go up the M61, navigation always takes me clockwise to go North, but it's nearly always quieter going anticlockwise and therefore quicker.

It's been called death valley as long as I can remember, it is true since they've changed the priority and signage at Simister it is far worse than before, and not helped by the bright folk who believe queuing isn't for them and come to a stop in a live lane trying to push in causing even more chaos behind.

I find the Ashton,Oldham side of the M60 much quieter and every time i visit family in Glossop the live traffic satnav always sends me from Worsley towards Prestwich and not round past the Trafford centre and even more so on the way home.

The Worsley junction should just be shut completely as it causes nothing but accidents and queues every morning,why they've put a slip road to the motorway just as there's an interchange where everyone's trying to exit across each other is anyones guess.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 18:45 - Nov 7 with 7307 views49thseason

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:06 - Nov 7 by rochdale_ranger

And now you know why Manchester City centre is on the "most polluted air" list. A classic example of the left hand not knowing there even is a right hand. One might almost think it is being done deliberately since we voted against a congestion charge (which really should be a non-congestion charge .. but I can't find an antonym for congestion)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/14/people-in-manchester-exposed-to-
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 19:01 - Nov 7 with 7282 viewswindowsbug

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 13:42 - Nov 7 by EllDale

Train is no good if you have an early morning flight.
7 am flight, have to be there three hours before hand, etc....
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 19:58 - Nov 7 with 7191 viewsfinberty

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 18:02 - Nov 7 by DaleiLama

I think it was known as Death Valley from the time of its opening in the late sixties/early seventies because of the regular scenes of carnage in the valley. These were attributed to the dense low cloud that used to hover in the valley but not above it, due to the two power stations that used to stand either side of the M62 (as that part of the M60 was still called).

To the north was Radcliffe Power Station, and to the South was Agecroft. Each station had at least six and more likely eight enormous cooling towers, whose emissions hung in the valley. The unwary motorist could hurtle down from Prestwich into this dense blanket. Add the absence of speed restrictions, inadequate lighting and congestion, and the results were predictable.

Both stations were decommissioned in the eighties and demolished in the early nineties, and visibility improved almost overnight once power generation ceased.

I heard it reported at the time that GM Police patrol officers were each only permitted to work that stretch for a maximum of 18 months due to the regular horrific scenes they would encounter.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 23:05 - Nov 7 with 7024 viewsrobtheb

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 14:45 - Nov 7 by deeplishblue

M60 smart motorway as made no difference to the flow of traffic during ampm rush hours.

I live in Rochdale, Passmonds area, and travel regular to Liverpool. It takes between one and half to three hours, depending on breakdowns and accidents.

Now I go over Owd Betts, Grane Road, M65 then pick up M6 to M62.

Distance is further but traffic is much lighter, and can be in Liverpool just over the hour.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 00:52 - Nov 8 with 6946 viewsSandyman

Manc airport is a bit of a bind but using train or tram (fortunately I'm able enough to do so) is a cheap if prolonged way of getting there. Laborious, not customer friendly, but manageable with patience. No extra charges for drop offs and cheaper by far than a taxi.
Of course it would be lots better for the majority of passengers if Manc Airport weren't such robbing barstewards imposing these insane drop off fees. That is rightly the main issue and I can understand why people with cars are preferring Liverpool et al .
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 01:55 - Nov 8 with 6927 viewsDiddyDave

The question is;Who owns Manchester Airport? Whoever it is,they`ll be the ones who keep adding on add ons.
Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 06:55 - Nov 8 with 6855 viewsSandyman

Drop off charges at Manchester Airport on 01:55 - Nov 8 by DiddyDave

The question is;Who owns Manchester Airport? Whoever it is,they`ll be the ones who keep adding on add ons.

"We" own part of it!
https://www.magairports.com/about-us/corporate-structure/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024