Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your favourite game that didn't mean much 14:35 - Nov 14 with 5718 viewsForever_and_a_Dale

Interested to know what peoples favourite matches are that they have attended but aren't all that special in reality. Dale or non-Dale.

Watching big Pete rise like a salmon to head home the equaliser in injury time was magnificent

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 14:52 - Nov 14 with 4170 viewschalky_ncfc

Arnold v Port Vale

This game will stick in my memory as it was the first game where I saw Arnold who i supported as a lad play a professional club as we had reached the FA Cup first round proper, normally there was a gate of around 200 but that day there was 4000 there,a total eye opener,it was also my first introduction to football violence as loads of Forest came up to welcome the Vale fans and it was kicking off everywhere,the replay was also my first away game as the first leg had ended 0-0 and for a while we had the lead at 1-2 but eventually lost something like 5-2
The following year I left school,got a job and headed down to Meadow Land for the first time but that Port Vale game has lasted in my memory far longer than any Notts game

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 15:34 - Nov 14 with 4117 views442Dale

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 14:52 - Nov 14 by chalky_ncfc

Arnold v Port Vale

This game will stick in my memory as it was the first game where I saw Arnold who i supported as a lad play a professional club as we had reached the FA Cup first round proper, normally there was a gate of around 200 but that day there was 4000 there,a total eye opener,it was also my first introduction to football violence as loads of Forest came up to welcome the Vale fans and it was kicking off everywhere,the replay was also my first away game as the first leg had ended 0-0 and for a while we had the lead at 1-2 but eventually lost something like 5-2
The following year I left school,got a job and headed down to Meadow Land for the first time but that Port Vale game has lasted in my memory far longer than any Notts game

And you know why. Your joker in charge is really making the club look ridiculous again today btw.

Back on topic: nine men, 1-0 at Burnley or the 7-2 at Stockport.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 17:02 - Nov 14 with 4023 viewsEllDale

Winning 2-1 at Halifax on August Bank Holiday 2000 thanks to a screamer from Jonah.
3-0 at Valley Parade in December 2010
3-0 at Southport in 1970 in our first season back in Division Three
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 17:25 - Nov 14 with 3996 viewsColDale

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 19:27 - Nov 14 with 3874 viewsmacro

Winning at MK with ten men for most of the game

The 7-1 at Stockport. The heavy defeat v Shrewsbury with Holt celebrating like a look

Joe Thompson (?) Hat trick at Aldershot
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 19:43 - Nov 14 with 3856 viewsSuddenLad

I'd have to go for the 9-man victory at Turf Moor, against all the odds. An amazing afternoon, backs to the wall stuff and we came away victorious.

'Just another game' turned into an unforgettable performance.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 20:17]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 19:49 - Nov 14 with 3849 viewssince58

Beating Everton in that pre season friendly.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 20:28 - Nov 14 with 3799 viewsdingdangblue

This game was pretty awesome on a Friday night.

Also this one was a real sign of intent for the next season. I think Hartlepool could have sealed the title with a win? It was at the end of Hill's first half season in charge and we were brilliant.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 22:07 - Nov 14 with 3718 viewssoulboy

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 20:28 - Nov 14 by dingdangblue

This game was pretty awesome on a Friday night.

Also this one was a real sign of intent for the next season. I think Hartlepool could have sealed the title with a win? It was at the end of Hill's first half season in charge and we were brilliant.

Southampton away, 2 0 win.
Rotherham home, 1 0 down, Dagnall came off the bench to make his first apperance for months following injury and hit a second half hat trick, 5 1.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 23:16 - Nov 14 with 3659 viewsdownunder

At home v Hull. Paddy Mc Court showing his skills on a Mud bath of a pitch. Think it ended 4-3.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 23:33 - Nov 14 with 3636 viewsSandyman

Playing one of the dirtiest, most cynical, time wasting sides (that wasn't managed by Darren Ferguson). Marshall for them was a disgrace to the game with his acting, with a shocker of a ref, and Calvin sorts it in the 95th timewasting minute. Heh.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 23:44 - Nov 14 with 3616 viewsBlueDales

The comeback from 3-0 down at half time to draw 3-3 at Morecambe at the start of our 09/10 promotion season.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 23:50 - Nov 14 with 3607 viewsdingdangblue

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 23:16 - Nov 14 by downunder

At home v Hull. Paddy Mc Court showing his skills on a Mud bath of a pitch. Think it ended 4-3.

The mud bath game was v York I think. Ended 5-4.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 23:51]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 00:27 - Nov 15 with 3590 viewsoddjob007

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 23:50 - Nov 14 by dingdangblue

Some memories there! Love that McEvilly goal.. players bouncing off him!

Townson... our last player to play for England?

Beating bury 2-1 (?!) at their place in the early 2000s and Townson jumped into the crowd, think there were at least a couple of thousand Dale fans there that day. Had been a while since we played them as well. Anyone care to add any detail to my sketchy memory?!
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 06:45 - Nov 15 with 3538 viewsNigeriamark

Not so much the whole game but a last minute goal by Eui Martinez at York to seal a 2-1 win. 25 yard screamer into the top corner. Always comes to mind ( as do many away from home last minute winners inc Calvin at Bradford)
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 11:40 - Nov 15 with 3446 viewspioneer

Bradford city away winter 1970. Our bubble had burst and we were falling out of contention in the top half . Went to Bradford midweek as underdogs and played them off the park3-0. Tony Buck scored a wonderful goal... might have been his last before his leg break.

happy days coming back over tops that night
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 13:18 - Nov 15 with 3363 viewsEllDale

I remember that one.
Hadn't the original fixture been abandoned at halftime a few weeks previously due to fog?
Couldn't see from one side of the ground to the other.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 13:44 - Nov 15 with 3346 viewsaleanddale

Both home league games at Spotland games I think they must have been the same era...

Dale 6-0 Chester - total domination

Dale 4-3 Cambridge - amazing comeback from 1-3 down.

Worthy mention also for Dale 3-2 Mk with both goals in added time. 1-2 down to three points and a win in the blink of an eye!
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 13:45 - Nov 15 with 3347 viewsfunkkk

Loved that era of watching Dale. First time I thought we might actually achieve something.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 18:25 - Nov 15 with 3207 viewsregjenkins

Sticking with favourate games that didn't mean much, the lincoln game at home on 12th February 2005. Earnie Cooksie was sent off for handing a goal bound shot in the first half. Expecting the usual Lincoln jinks from then on Dale went on to win 3 v 1. Holt, Heald and Goodall the scorers. A comfortable win. Just felt proud to be Dale that day.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 19:21 - Nov 15 with 3173 viewssoulboy

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 13:18 - Nov 15 by EllDale

I remember that one.
Hadn't the original fixture been abandoned at halftime a few weeks previously due to fog?
Couldn't see from one side of the ground to the other.

Yes, it was abandoned at half time due to fog and a nearby factory making it worse by churning out loads of black smoke. A blessing in disguise as the home team were winning 1 0!
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 19:53 - Nov 15 with 3137 viewsbazingadale

i remember a thrilling 0-0 draw at home to hartlepool in the FA cup back in the parkin days.
A thrilling end to end game i dont know how we didnt score with Sako and barker up front.

Shocked nobody else mentioned this one
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 20:42 - Nov 15 with 3078 viewsdownunder

My bad. That was the one. Edit, McCourt did not score. I am getting games mixed up. I blame old age.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 20:47]
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 20:58 - Nov 15 with 3055 viewsrochdale_ranger

Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 18:25 - Nov 15 by regjenkins

Sticking with favourate games that didn't mean much, the lincoln game at home on 12th February 2005. Earnie Cooksie was sent off for handing a goal bound shot in the first half. Expecting the usual Lincoln jinks from then on Dale went on to win 3 v 1. Holt, Heald and Goodall the scorers. A comfortable win. Just felt proud to be Dale that day.

I rember that one.great save from Cooksey. God I miss that guy. Does anybody know how his wife and son are doing?

Also attended the two games Dingdang has posted. Two great games. My favourites are the seven-two against county and when we came back from 3-1 down against Shrewsbury to win. Joe hart was in net for them and it was the week George best died. Parkin was a tit but we played some good stuff under him at times.
Your favourite game that didn't mean much on 22:28 - Nov 15 with 2983 viewsfinberty

The nine man win at Turf Moor. Three abiding memories: the John Francis assault on Jimmy Graham; big Alex Jones coming off the bench to put John FrAncis into the wall, and Keith Welch in the nets keeping everything out.
A couple of questions for those who went. Was this Andy Milner 's first game for Dale, or was that the previous season? I remember him turning the Burnley fullback inside out in his first match. And who, besides Alex Jones, was sent off?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024