Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday or Sunday 07:51 - Dec 4 with 2351 viewsEllDale

I know that this will upset the traditionalists but I enjoyed kicking off at 2.00pm this Sunday rather than the conventional Saturday afternoon start at 3.00pm.
It fitted in far better with bus and train timetables for me personally and was a far better, leisurely journey.
In fact I'd rather like it if we played the odd league match on Sunday and would be interested if anyone else would see it as a worthwhile experiment?
Saturday or Sunday on 08:22 - Dec 4 with 2302 viewsjudd

Not for me. It were crap.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Saturday or Sunday on 08:38 - Dec 4 with 2275 viewsTVOS1907

Saturday or Sunday on 08:22 - Dec 4 by judd

Not for me. It were crap.

Same for me.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Saturday or Sunday on 11:05 - Dec 4 with 2128 viewsdalenumber2

I liked it being on a Sunday (apart from the result)
Saturday or Sunday on 12:07 - Dec 4 with 2052 viewsaleanddale

3pm Saturday.....

Always.

At our level there is just no need to even consider anything else.

and MNF can fook right off!!
Saturday or Sunday on 12:14 - Dec 4 with 2033 viewsjudd

Saturday or Sunday on 12:07 - Dec 4 by aleanddale

3pm Saturday.....

Always.

...although it were easier to get served in the Reform Club.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Saturday or Sunday on 12:51 - Dec 4 with 1962 viewsAncoats_Blue

Saturday or Sunday on 12:07 - Dec 4 by aleanddale

3pm Saturday.....

Always.

I’m a traditionalist so always prefer sat 3PM but some clubs have found Friday nights a success In the past. I seem to recall Stockport and Southend doing this for years and getting decent crowds.
Saturday or Sunday on 13:07 - Dec 4 with 1940 viewsNigeriamark

As long as the fixtures are published in advance then I wouldn't mind a mixture. Changes of a Saturday fixture at short notice would be more of a problem but I would only assume this would happen for cup matches
Saturday or Sunday on 13:29 - Dec 4 with 1891 viewsTVOS1907

Saturday or Sunday on 13:07 - Dec 4 by Nigeriamark

As long as the fixtures are published in advance then I wouldn't mind a mixture. Changes of a Saturday fixture at short notice would be more of a problem but I would only assume this would happen for cup matches

There is also a limit on how many games clubs can move from the Saturday afternoon slot. Could be wrong, but it’s something like a maximum of 2/3, and even then you need approval from various other parties.

This is outwith games being moved for TV or to fit in with cup ties.

I can see some benefits from one-off experiments, but Saturday at 3pm should be sacrosanct, in my opinion.

Login to get fewer ads

Saturday or Sunday on 14:04 - Dec 4 with 1855 viewsD_Alien

There might be one valid reason for moving games to a Sunday - and that's if every other club did so

Having the majority of games played at the same time as your rivals is something that adds hugely to sporting interest

Take last season's final game against Charlton. The element of our L1 status changing during the course of the game added massively to the excitement. That was a one-off (hopefully!) but taking that element away on a weekly basis would, in my opinion, diminish the sporting context

Yes, tv requires premier league clubs to split their fixtures over the weekend and Monday, but at the business end of the season that mish-mash is removed, and do we want to copy the premier league? Some might argue that playing on a Sunday when our rivals have already played on Saturday confers an advantage, but it could also confer additional unwanted pressure

Leave things as they are - not for the sake of tradition, but because it matters that we should do so
[Post edited 4 Dec 2018 14:23]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Saturday or Sunday on 14:21 - Dec 4 with 1820 viewsMorden

If games moved to Sunday it would clash with all the Premiership games on the telly and you know how difficult it is to move those fans from their sofa

I presume it only started off like that because men used to work on Saturday mornings and go to the match in the afternoon (back in time for tea [TM]). Nothing opened save the churches on Sunday
Saturday or Sunday on 15:28 - Dec 4 with 1743 viewsEllDale

That's exactly why rugby league moved to Sundays in the early 1970's - there was no competition.
Even the pubs weren't open apart from 12 noon till 2.00pm.
Saturday or Sunday on 15:32 - Dec 4 with 1739 viewsJimmyRustler

I honestly prefer Friday night games to Sunday. Can't remember who we played (could have been Cheltenham?) but we had a game on a Friday when Coleman was in charge (was it Boxing Day?) and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Sundays are for turning up hungover at Church and then getting back on it with the blood of Christ
Saturday or Sunday on 16:18 - Dec 4 with 1687 viewsaleanddale

Saturday or Sunday on 15:32 - Dec 4 by JimmyRustler

I honestly prefer Friday night games to Sunday. Can't remember who we played (could have been Cheltenham?) but we had a game on a Friday when Coleman was in charge (was it Boxing Day?) and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Sundays are for turning up hungover at Church and then getting back on it with the blood of Christ

Of course Boxing Day / New years day and the Easter Holiday could fall on any given day and all are welcome and fair enough - these still fall under "traditional" match days.

Saturday 3pm

Tuesday 19.45 are the only day / time for me for league games.

Must be the one down side of being in the Premier league all the odd kick off times/ days.
Saturday or Sunday on 18:22 - Dec 4 with 1545 viewsroccydaleian

Saturday or Sunday on 13:29 - Dec 4 by TVOS1907

There is also a limit on how many games clubs can move from the Saturday afternoon slot. Could be wrong, but it’s something like a maximum of 2/3, and even then you need approval from various other parties.

This is outwith games being moved for TV or to fit in with cup ties.

I can see some benefits from one-off experiments, but Saturday at 3pm should be sacrosanct, in my opinion.

Logistically it were no different, but I kept thinking Sunday was an Saturday, so I nearly didert go in work on Monday cause I kept thinking it was an Sunday.
Saturday or Sunday on 19:17 - Dec 4 with 1476 viewsWalboro

Still remember the Sunday match at Bradford City in the early 80s sat in the stand which burnt down and getting there early and going in the west indian club outside which didnt look like it had shut from the previous day also no music was played due to it being a Sunday think this match couldve been our first Sunday Match Joe Cooke and ces pod were playing for them.
Saturday or Sunday on 20:05 - Dec 4 with 1440 viewsD_Dale

Saturday or Sunday on 19:17 - Dec 4 by Walboro

Still remember the Sunday match at Bradford City in the early 80s sat in the stand which burnt down and getting there early and going in the west indian club outside which didnt look like it had shut from the previous day also no music was played due to it being a Sunday think this match couldve been our first Sunday Match Joe Cooke and ces pod were playing for them.

Sunday 8th March 1981.

I'd arranged to meet my dad, but he'd gone behind the goals and I was in the stand. At half-time I asked a copper if there was any way of getting out, and he obligingly suggested I climbed down at the front of the stand. Only when he offered to give me a hand did I realise how high it was, and was reminded four years later, 11 May 1985, the day of that awful fire when many of the fans struggled to find a way out.
Saturday or Sunday on 20:32 - Dec 4 with 1405 viewsmikehunt

Saturday or Sunday on 15:32 - Dec 4 by JimmyRustler

‘Course you enjoyed this game - we won it 4-1😁 what was good about this game was a “meet the players” after the match. They and Coleman wandered around the Ratcliffe talking to anyone. Coleman was trying to save his arse at the time but that was a splendid initiative - Which should be resurrected for all our Christmas home fixtures.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Saturday or Sunday on 20:33 - Dec 4 with 1404 viewsDaleFan7

Wouldn't mind the odd Friday night game but if they started moving Saturday games to Sunday I'd stop going. Just personal preference though.
Saturday or Sunday on 20:55 - Dec 4 with 1369 viewsTVOS1907

Saturday or Sunday on 18:22 - Dec 4 by roccydaleian

Logistically it were no different, but I kept thinking Sunday was an Saturday, so I nearly didert go in work on Monday cause I kept thinking it was an Sunday.

Eh?

Saturday or Sunday on 21:34 - Dec 4 with 1330 viewspioneer

Saturday or Sunday on 14:21 - Dec 4 by Morden

If games moved to Sunday it would clash with all the Premiership games on the telly and you know how difficult it is to move those fans from their sofa

I presume it only started off like that because men used to work on Saturday mornings and go to the match in the afternoon (back in time for tea [TM]). Nothing opened save the churches on Sunday

Main reason for no sunday games up to 1970s was the law of the land.At the time clubs were not able to charge admission on Sundays... that was why there were no games. Rugby league found a crafty way around it by making admission by teamsheet only and selling team sheets at the same price of normal admission. I still have my admission sheet for Hornets first Sunday home game against Featherstone in 1968. This lasted for a couple of seasons before legislation was changed.

I think Dales first Sunday home game was in the season from hell 73-4 and if I remember rightly they did it despite Hornets, who were a top team at the time in the top 4-5 in the league and reaching cup finals, playing at the same time. I wrote to then secretary Gus McLean asking what were they thinking. Never got a reply.
Saturday or Sunday on 10:14 - Dec 5 with 1135 viewsoff2div1

My second club is Leeds and a game on Saturday 3.00 is rare this season. Games Friday Sunday Monday or Saturday 12.30 or 5.00 are the common thing this season because of Sky. That's why fans sing "Sky TV is fing sh1t" Saturday 3.00 for proper football fans.
Saturday or Sunday on 11:19 - Dec 5 with 1113 viewsJames1980

From an entirely selfish point of view 2pm on Saturday would be good as it would mean getting home a bit earlier.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Saturday or Sunday on 11:20 - Dec 5 with 1112 viewsEllDale

I'm sure that I saw a stat somewhere that said that Man Utd have had three home league games in twelve months that kicked off at 3.00pm on a Saturday.
Friday nights and Monday nights are ok I suppose but the poor old punter who relies on public transport can't always get home if a game doesn't finish until nearly 10.00pm.
Still, when did the working class customer ever count where Premiership clubs are concerned?

Going back to rugby league, when they switched to Sundays a lot of the teams in Yorkshire chose to kick off at 3.30pm. I was always told that this was because the early shifts at local pits finished at 2.00pm so it gave the miners time to get in the shower and still have time for a couple of pints before the game started.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024