Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? 18:47 - Dec 5 with 7468 viewsjudd

Or is that a knee jerk reaction to this unholy raft of resignations, retirements, redundancy and a seemingly blind desire to completely change everything?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 16:13 - Dec 6 with 3518 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 12:00 - Dec 6 by EllDale

Purely as a matter of interest, are the directors accused of smirking during a fans forum last year and in the midst of controversy over spectators being allowed to leave the Sandy at halftime for a quick pint/fag still on the board?
Or was it the same person?

Did n't one of the Directors tell a fan to "f*ck off if you don't like it " a good few months ago?

Anyone remember this and who it related to?
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 09:38 - Dec 7 with 3263 viewspioneer

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 07:43 - Dec 6 by EllDale

Perhaps Chris Dunphy looked around, took a deep breath and realised that Messrs Andy Kelly, Paul Hazlehurst and Bill Goodwin, allies for so many years, had all left.
Did that make him outvoted and outgunned at board level?
As for a replacement, I note that the German chairman of Bradford City resigned this week.
We do have a connection of course but that it is yet another conspiracy theory.
The one unknown factor in all this upheaval of course is the position of the manager.
Does it increase his power? Or does it weaken it?

if we ever get taken over by a German I’ll buy a season ticket for that lot t’other side of Heywood.
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 10:24 - Dec 7 with 3207 viewsSuggers

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 20:03 - Dec 5 by ColDale

Can only take people as I find them, and through the Trust, I've had plenty of dealings with DB. We've never agreed on everything but he has been a massive supporter of the Trust over these last few months. He played a big part in us being nominated for the Best Club / Trust relationship, and he was great in that period following Russ's departure when we were running without a Chief Exec. I've no inside knowledge whatsoever about what happens now and next appointments, but I'd suggest that the club will continue to be run in the Dale way, with decisions taken by the Board as a whole rather than by an individual.

You must not have been there at the Exiles Day then Col....
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:09 - Dec 7 with 3161 viewsrochdale_ranger

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 10:24 - Dec 7 by Suggers

You must not have been there at the Exiles Day then Col....

Why what happened?
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:13 - Dec 7 with 3155 viewsSuddenLad

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 16:13 - Dec 6 by Yorkshire_Dale

Did n't one of the Directors tell a fan to "f*ck off if you don't like it " a good few months ago?

Anyone remember this and who it related to?

That was part of a heated argument taking place in the Main stand. Some supporters were complaining about the verbal spat involving the manager and some fans. The complaint to said Director met with a 'blunt' response inviting the supporters to 'Go forth amd multiply, if things weren't to their satisfaction'.

Said Director is still in situ and not involved in the recent 'musical chairs' event in the boardroom.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:50 - Dec 7 with 3120 viewsD_Alien

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:13 - Dec 7 by SuddenLad

That was part of a heated argument taking place in the Main stand. Some supporters were complaining about the verbal spat involving the manager and some fans. The complaint to said Director met with a 'blunt' response inviting the supporters to 'Go forth amd multiply, if things weren't to their satisfaction'.

Said Director is still in situ and not involved in the recent 'musical chairs' event in the boardroom.

Yes, i've already said he remains on the board

How do you know he's not involved? It's highly unlikely he hasn't been involved in some regard - in fact it'd be remiss of him not to be!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 12:18 - Dec 7 with 3073 viewsSuddenLad

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:50 - Dec 7 by D_Alien

Yes, i've already said he remains on the board

How do you know he's not involved? It's highly unlikely he hasn't been involved in some regard - in fact it'd be remiss of him not to be!

What I meant, specifically, was that he remains on the Board, and the various 'comings and goings' don't include him personally. I have no doubt he has been party to the events taking place, bur he retains his seat.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 15:56 - Dec 7 with 2905 viewskel

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 12:18 - Dec 7 by SuddenLad

What I meant, specifically, was that he remains on the Board, and the various 'comings and goings' don't include him personally. I have no doubt he has been party to the events taking place, bur he retains his seat.

Which director was it? Thought you sat in the pearlstreetpaul?
Login to get fewer ads

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 21:54 - Dec 7 with 2713 viewsReedy

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 15:56 - Dec 7 by kel

Which director was it? Thought you sat in the pearlstreetpaul?

Whilst not having much dealings with the board or knowing many of them on it - I must admit the last few days are very worrying from whichever way you look at it. To have so many re-shuffles in a short space of time is good for no-one. What I find really bizarre is that Mason was given a role on the board and a week later he has left the club "to pursue other opportunities" - it doesn't add up somewhere.

Bottomley being made the CEO is quite frankly laughable, he talks a good game, but never, ever backs it up with any actions. His involvement with the goldbond has been pathetic and lackluster at best. He has no experience (that I know of) of running a football club or even in sport - it looks to me as a desperate appointment to plug holes in a sinking ship. I've overheard him a few times bigging up his experience in business, but the fact is none of this qualifies of him to run my football club, he has been a director for three years, but I don't know of any positive impact he has had (I stand to be corrected here)

If it's also true that the new chairman lives the thick end of 200 miles away, I would suggest his day to day running of the club will be minimal apart from matchdays and board meetings - does the Bottomley has complete running of the club on a day to day basis? If so, this would worry me even more.

Over the past couple of years when the football has been poor at best, we all knew we had a stable board and a stable football club - over the past week this has become very unstable and worrying - I hope this is all wrong and proves to lead to some really exciting times ahead, but I doubt it.

Blog: The FA Cup

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 00:04 - Dec 8 with 2636 viewsjudd

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 21:54 - Dec 7 by Reedy

Whilst not having much dealings with the board or knowing many of them on it - I must admit the last few days are very worrying from whichever way you look at it. To have so many re-shuffles in a short space of time is good for no-one. What I find really bizarre is that Mason was given a role on the board and a week later he has left the club "to pursue other opportunities" - it doesn't add up somewhere.

Bottomley being made the CEO is quite frankly laughable, he talks a good game, but never, ever backs it up with any actions. His involvement with the goldbond has been pathetic and lackluster at best. He has no experience (that I know of) of running a football club or even in sport - it looks to me as a desperate appointment to plug holes in a sinking ship. I've overheard him a few times bigging up his experience in business, but the fact is none of this qualifies of him to run my football club, he has been a director for three years, but I don't know of any positive impact he has had (I stand to be corrected here)

If it's also true that the new chairman lives the thick end of 200 miles away, I would suggest his day to day running of the club will be minimal apart from matchdays and board meetings - does the Bottomley has complete running of the club on a day to day basis? If so, this would worry me even more.

Over the past couple of years when the football has been poor at best, we all knew we had a stable board and a stable football club - over the past week this has become very unstable and worrying - I hope this is all wrong and proves to lead to some really exciting times ahead, but I doubt it.

That's terribly hard on him. I'm sure he'll be a pillar in the community and let's see what comes of it.

Might even be a good move in fixing ticket prices for a good while.

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 08:11 - Dec 8 with 2529 viewssmaclad1

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 21:54 - Dec 7 by Reedy

I'm not too sure Mason's departure is so bizarre. I seem to remember from the announcement of his appointment there were queries as to how this fitted in with his wider 'consultant' role. I don't think he was ever going to be a permanent CE, but was someone on the market with relevant experience who had some availability when we needed the CE post filled asap. The Chairman-elect's message on the Club site referred to his continuing role for the Club as an executive consultant which is more consistent with his other business interests.

That Andrew Kilpatrick lives 200 miles away is neither here nor there. For what it's worth, from what has been said/posted it sounds as though Tiny Pockley spends a fair amount of time away from Rochdale. At the end of the day, company Chairmen and Directors need not be hands on - it need not be a 24/7 or a M-F 9-5 role. If people think this is what Chris Dunphy has been doing they are mistaken - or at least I hope they are mistaken as CD has his own business to run. And that business is presumably what pays his bills, not his role at RAFC.

Obviously you get a mix of people on the Board of a company running a football club. Some have their own businesses to run, or have their own professional career to consider also. Then you get people who have (too much?) time on their hands. Then there is the critieria or qualities you look for in a Director. What might be looked for in a 'normal' company goes out of the window at a football club - or seems to here, where to judge by some posts what we look for most of all is someone with an undying support of and loyalty to the Club. Which is all well and good, but it might not produce the best qualified Directors from a business sense.

Anyway, back to people with (possibly) too much time on their hands. The appointment of DB as chief executive. What has not been made clear yet is whether he will be relinquishing his Directorship. Of course he does not need to do so - employees can be made Directors (as per Frances and Gina), and Directors can be employees. Whereas F & G are non-executive Directors, DB would remain a Director - not to sure there is any particular implication in this other than what might be specified in the company's Articles. Being both a Director AND CE does put a different slant on what has been (recent) practice at the club to have a discrete post of salaried CE - the combined role does seem to suggest some added 'clout', and means that there will be a near permanent day-to-day Board level presence at the Club.

What is also not clear either is DB's terms of his 'employment' as CE. Is this via a contract of employment; is it permanent or fixed term; is it written or implied? These things do have a potential implication if he makes a complete balls of things and the Club want to get shut of him, and he refuses to go quietly. He will then need to be shifted from the Board and, potentially more complicated, moved on from his employed position. Like many on this Board I do have reservations about DB. Never met him, but what I have heard and from what I have read on here does not fill me full of confidence. Having said that, a new Board will produce a new dynamic, new working relationships and things will obviously take time to settle. And, of course, being CE and doing the more mundane day-to-day role might take the edge of some of his wilder flights of fancy.

Change is always unsettling, and more so when it catches you by surprise, moves at a bewildering speed and you don't know the full background to what has gone/is going on. All we can do is sit tight and wait and see what the future holds. On the face of it the Board will maintain it's Dale supporting basis, and it might be argued will have a wider experience base to it.

Some have suggested a fans forum or a company EGM to consider this/be told what is going on. I think that any shareholders sufficiently concerned should seek an EGM - one area for clarification might be the nature of DB's appointment and separation of duties as CE and Director. For the rest of us, let's hold fire until the Trust meets the Directors in January. I do hope that the new Chairman attends this meeting as I would have concerns if he missed this early opportunity to engage with the supporters.
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 10:13 - Dec 8 with 2431 viewsD_Alien

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 08:11 - Dec 8 by smaclad1

I'm not too sure Mason's departure is so bizarre. I seem to remember from the announcement of his appointment there were queries as to how this fitted in with his wider 'consultant' role. I don't think he was ever going to be a permanent CE, but was someone on the market with relevant experience who had some availability when we needed the CE post filled asap. The Chairman-elect's message on the Club site referred to his continuing role for the Club as an executive consultant which is more consistent with his other business interests.

That Andrew Kilpatrick lives 200 miles away is neither here nor there. For what it's worth, from what has been said/posted it sounds as though Tiny Pockley spends a fair amount of time away from Rochdale. At the end of the day, company Chairmen and Directors need not be hands on - it need not be a 24/7 or a M-F 9-5 role. If people think this is what Chris Dunphy has been doing they are mistaken - or at least I hope they are mistaken as CD has his own business to run. And that business is presumably what pays his bills, not his role at RAFC.

Obviously you get a mix of people on the Board of a company running a football club. Some have their own businesses to run, or have their own professional career to consider also. Then you get people who have (too much?) time on their hands. Then there is the critieria or qualities you look for in a Director. What might be looked for in a 'normal' company goes out of the window at a football club - or seems to here, where to judge by some posts what we look for most of all is someone with an undying support of and loyalty to the Club. Which is all well and good, but it might not produce the best qualified Directors from a business sense.

Anyway, back to people with (possibly) too much time on their hands. The appointment of DB as chief executive. What has not been made clear yet is whether he will be relinquishing his Directorship. Of course he does not need to do so - employees can be made Directors (as per Frances and Gina), and Directors can be employees. Whereas F & G are non-executive Directors, DB would remain a Director - not to sure there is any particular implication in this other than what might be specified in the company's Articles. Being both a Director AND CE does put a different slant on what has been (recent) practice at the club to have a discrete post of salaried CE - the combined role does seem to suggest some added 'clout', and means that there will be a near permanent day-to-day Board level presence at the Club.

What is also not clear either is DB's terms of his 'employment' as CE. Is this via a contract of employment; is it permanent or fixed term; is it written or implied? These things do have a potential implication if he makes a complete balls of things and the Club want to get shut of him, and he refuses to go quietly. He will then need to be shifted from the Board and, potentially more complicated, moved on from his employed position. Like many on this Board I do have reservations about DB. Never met him, but what I have heard and from what I have read on here does not fill me full of confidence. Having said that, a new Board will produce a new dynamic, new working relationships and things will obviously take time to settle. And, of course, being CE and doing the more mundane day-to-day role might take the edge of some of his wilder flights of fancy.

Change is always unsettling, and more so when it catches you by surprise, moves at a bewildering speed and you don't know the full background to what has gone/is going on. All we can do is sit tight and wait and see what the future holds. On the face of it the Board will maintain it's Dale supporting basis, and it might be argued will have a wider experience base to it.

Some have suggested a fans forum or a company EGM to consider this/be told what is going on. I think that any shareholders sufficiently concerned should seek an EGM - one area for clarification might be the nature of DB's appointment and separation of duties as CE and Director. For the rest of us, let's hold fire until the Trust meets the Directors in January. I do hope that the new Chairman attends this meeting as I would have concerns if he missed this early opportunity to engage with the supporters.

Bang on, imo - especially the points about not needing to live close by in terms of responsibilities

To which i'd add, having achieved a huge amount during his tenure for which he will be forever fondly remembered, our outgoing chairman seemed to have latterly produced a power vacuum at the head of club affairs, and i think we need look not much further for the reasons behind these dramatic developments

I look forward, cautiously, with optimism

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:37 - Dec 8 with 2331 viewsjudd

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 08:11 - Dec 8 by smaclad1

Well said.

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 06:10 - Dec 12 with 2044 viewssmaclad1

….as threatened on the Oldham Checkatrade thread.

Think we need answers from someone as to why the match was scheduled for 7pm. If the club are looking to manage this competition by only opening the main stand for home fans, imagine we'll see a 6pm kick-off for the City u-21s match? Never mind Board issues, we need an EGM and fans forum to ask questions as to why the club are going out of their way to disenfranchise paying customers.
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 20:01 - Dec 12 with 1856 viewsfitzochris

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 06:10 - Dec 12 by smaclad1

….as threatened on the Oldham Checkatrade thread.

Think we need answers from someone as to why the match was scheduled for 7pm. If the club are looking to manage this competition by only opening the main stand for home fans, imagine we'll see a 6pm kick-off for the City u-21s match? Never mind Board issues, we need an EGM and fans forum to ask questions as to why the club are going out of their way to disenfranchise paying customers.

To be fair, it was a 1853 crowd last night, with 911 away fans, and home fans up by 50% on the last Checkatrade Trophy game.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 05:58 - Dec 13 with 1603 viewssmaclad1

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 20:01 - Dec 12 by fitzochris

To be fair, it was a 1853 crowd last night, with 911 away fans, and home fans up by 50% on the last Checkatrade Trophy game.

To be fair, I had acknowledged the attractiveness of the fixture on the Checkatrade Oldham thread, and considered why the Club would want to manage down the numbers attending. Must be the first time in the history of the Club that they have gone out of their way to reduce the attendance at a match.
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 07:34 - Dec 13 with 1547 views442Dale

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 05:58 - Dec 13 by smaclad1

To be fair, I had acknowledged the attractiveness of the fixture on the Checkatrade Oldham thread, and considered why the Club would want to manage down the numbers attending. Must be the first time in the history of the Club that they have gone out of their way to reduce the attendance at a match.

There have been 7pm kick offs before in the Checkatrade. By all accounts, Oldham’s following was bigger than some thought it may be, so it’s hard to determine that the crowd would have been much bigger if played 45 minutes later. These things will never please everyone, bit of trial and error never hurt though.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 07:45 - Dec 13 with 1532 views1907

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 05:58 - Dec 13 by smaclad1

Near enough every Checkatrade game was a 7pm kick off last season, so give over with such conspiracy lunacy!
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 08:24 - Dec 13 with 1491 viewsDaleiLama

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 07:34 - Dec 13 by 442Dale

There have been 7pm kick offs before in the Checkatrade. By all accounts, Oldham’s following was bigger than some thought it may be, so it’s hard to determine that the crowd would have been much bigger if played 45 minutes later. These things will never please everyone, bit of trial and error never hurt though.

I suspect a lot of folks missed kick off. Traffic was queuing from Ceme traffic lights back to M60 almost solidly and I got there with about 5 mins to spare after doing some embarrassing pushing in to make it in time. I think against Oldham, it wasn't a good idea on balance.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:37 - Dec 13 with 1351 viewssmaclad1

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 07:45 - Dec 13 by 1907

Near enough every Checkatrade game was a 7pm kick off last season, so give over with such conspiracy lunacy!

Alright, it's partly born out of frustration - having dutifully turned up at the 7.45pm kick-off group stage matches - enduring horrendous traffic on the way there and motorway closures on the way home - to then have the start time brought forward once the competition gets interesting is a bit shite. 7pm might be OK for the 50-60% of our regular home support who live within 5 or 6 miles of the ground, but is a bugger for those of us who work and have to travel some distance.

As a business you don't disenfranchise your customers. That is what the club have done here. Did the club lose out on gate money because of a 7pm kick-off? Indisputably, yes. Why?

Last season is a red herring - I'm talking about this season and a reasonable expectation that had been built up through the group stage matches. Go back far enough and Dale played at least one mid-week game in the afternoon - no-one's suggesting that (yet).
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 12:24 - Dec 13 with 1316 viewspioneer

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 11:37 - Dec 13 by smaclad1

Alright, it's partly born out of frustration - having dutifully turned up at the 7.45pm kick-off group stage matches - enduring horrendous traffic on the way there and motorway closures on the way home - to then have the start time brought forward once the competition gets interesting is a bit shite. 7pm might be OK for the 50-60% of our regular home support who live within 5 or 6 miles of the ground, but is a bugger for those of us who work and have to travel some distance.

As a business you don't disenfranchise your customers. That is what the club have done here. Did the club lose out on gate money because of a 7pm kick-off? Indisputably, yes. Why?

Last season is a red herring - I'm talking about this season and a reasonable expectation that had been built up through the group stage matches. Go back far enough and Dale played at least one mid-week game in the afternoon - no-one's suggesting that (yet).

The midweek afternoon games were during periods of industrial action when the government restricted the use of floodlights. They were not decisions taken by the club.
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 13:03 - Dec 13 with 1271 viewsEllDale

Please don't bring back memories of that Cambridge nightmare......
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 19:20 - Dec 13 with 1097 viewspioneer

Come on Sheffdale, you have always fancied yourself as a writer of horror stories... perhps a programme piece on 73-4 the next time we have a game on halloween.
Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 20:14 - Dec 13 with 1045 viewsTVOS1907

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 19:20 - Dec 13 by pioneer

Come on Sheffdale, you have always fancied yourself as a writer of horror stories... perhps a programme piece on 73-4 the next time we have a game on halloween.

That season has already been covered in 2003/04 and 2013/14, as part of the 30 and then 40 Years Ago series.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 21:13 - Dec 13 with 994 viewsSheffdale

Shareholder EGM / fans forum? on 20:14 - Dec 13 by TVOS1907

That season has already been covered in 2003/04 and 2013/14, as part of the 30 and then 40 Years Ago series.

Phew!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024