Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
City Tonight 11:38 - Jan 8 with 24940 viewsaleanddale

In what is a welcome distraction from woeful league form! tonight we host the City Kids.

Just what side Hilly will put out is anybodys guess I just hope we are on it for 90 minutes and give a proper account of ourselves.

Should be some floating interest and good to see all 4 sides of the ground open for this one.

Win tonight and then spank Posh 4-0 and we will be back on track
City Tonight on 21:21 - Jan 8 with 3381 viewsrichfoad32

City Tonight on 21:03 - Jan 8 by rdaleouis

Harsh? Really?

Giving away a 2-0 lead to lose the game 4-2 in the second half I think warrants a ‘harsh’ response. I accept that they are a good team but there is no excuse to concede four goals within 45 minutes, having started off the game in such a positive manner.

Yes this isn’t our strongest team by any means but there are still a lot of players in there who are regulars in the starting eleven, week in, week out and they got absolutely humiliated by players who have nothing like the same amount of experience that some of our players do. These are worrying times.

It followed the pattern of all the Checkatrade games so far, a good first half followed by us running out of steam in the second. Only this time we ran into a team who were good enough to take full advantage. I take your point about experienced players, I'm not sold on any combination of McNulty/MJ/Delaney at centre half and shudder to think that this is what we are going to see out the season with. But it was good to see Dooley back, Holden looked decent and Done put in a shift (when he stayed onside). It's funny how a tournament is treated as tinpot or Mickey Mouse until we lose, and then it's taken deathly seriously.
City Tonight on 21:23 - Jan 8 with 3342 viewsdawlishdale

Having actually been, we did play some lovely stuff in the first half, but although we went in 2-0 up, we could easily have gifted a couple of goals . On the contrary to Nigeria Mark, I thought Jim looked dithery...a typical Jim display. He also gave away the penalty and played them onside a couple of times.

However...the positives were... MJ Williams , Kosi, Rathbone , Adshead and Morley all did well. There was some lovely flowing football, and we looked dangerous at times. Dooley's goal was a belter.

Sadly, Matty Done was hopeless again, unless he was trying to set a new record for being offside.

In the second half, a clanger from Norman (again)...in fact, 2 clangers to be honest, and then he even had a hand in their third with yet another rubbish kick out, followed quickly by City's fourth meant that we've shipped 4 at home again.

Hilly's substitutions actually weakened us; especially Rathbone going off.

Overall... a good first half, and then normal (or is it Norman) service resumed in the second half.
City Tonight on 21:26 - Jan 8 with 3302 viewsrichfoad32

City Tonight on 21:05 - Jan 8 by KenBoon

In terms of the overall agenda, when Football League clubs lose to B teams then it's not good. I'm glad we played many of our kids but the scoreline says a hammering and worse shows they managed the game well, playing into the myth the b-teams will improve the national side. The discussion of bringing b teams into the FL comes back and its sides like ours - especially with so many big brands on our doorstep - that get hurt the most. It would hurt our attendances and even worse increase the number of young footballers they can suck in.

All good points. The day they allow B-teams into the football league is the day I give up watching. Have absolutely no interest in that shit.
City Tonight on 21:27 - Jan 8 with 3259 viewsswiggy

Can still get Peterborough at 11/10 to beat us on Saturday. I would sugggest putting a shed load on it’s either quids in or we’ve miraculously got a point or better. Money where mouth is anyone. By the way I’ve put a few bob on before anyone asks.
City Tonight on 21:28 - Jan 8 with 3230 viewsSuddenLad

City Tonight on 20:58 - Jan 8 by richfoad32

Nope. Kids or not, they're a damn good team and it's no disgrace to lose to them. Maybe some of the goals were preventable but I think the reaction of some on here is a little harsh.

Very harsh response by some, but very predictable and way off the mark.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

City Tonight on 21:46 - Jan 8 with 2985 viewsdingdangblue

Very entertaining game. We played very well 1st half and should have scored more but sadly anyone who suggests Done upfront again shouldn't - his time is gone.
Norman - ok he saved a poor penalty but his mistakes cost us that game again - looked an accident waiting to happen whilst in possession all night. Impressed with Matheson although he got beat a fair few times he never gives up. Holden looked good and Morley started well but faded probably due to not playing enough. Adshead a little disappointing - was expecting more of him. Dooley and Rathbone were our best players and it's no surprise when we got over run when they were replaced by Inman and Gillam who were both very quiet. City were superb 2nd half - very quick and lively and lots of comfortable possession - seriously impresseesd with number 61 Felix Nmecha - only 18 but a real Rolls Royce of a player and at times he just strolled around us as if we weren't there. He was on the bench for City's Champions League game v Hoffenheim - a serious talent and way too good for us. No disgrace to lose that tonight and Keith was protecting Rathbone and Dooley for Saturday when they came off.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

City Tonight on 21:50 - Jan 8 with 2932 viewsDaleFan7

A fairly decent first half, though it should have been 2-1 but their player got cocky with a penalty and passed it back to Norman.

We really can't handle conceding goals though, as soon as one goes in you know more are coming. It was another complete capitulation. What Norman was doing for the first and third I don't know. He's the worst keeper I've seen at Dale in 25 years. His kicking is worse than Gilks but he can't back it up with any decent shot stopping.

The who place is bereft of confidence. It was a decent crowd tonight for that competition and the crowd never got on the players backs all night.It's worrying to see our next 2 away games are Peterborough and Barnsley. Both have already put 4 past us this season when we weren't this bad.
City Tonight on 21:52 - Jan 8 with 2896 viewsKenBoon

City Tonight on 21:26 - Jan 8 by richfoad32

All good points. The day they allow B-teams into the football league is the day I give up watching. Have absolutely no interest in that shit.

There's a video somewhere on YouTube that explains why big clubs (and it is the biggest clubs) want B teams. For those who don't quite get the danger here, imagine the following.

These b-teams aren't allowed higher than the third-tier, and predictably they do well every season and maybe even win it. How much do you think the young side that wins that division are worth? The odd one might be called into their first team, but the majority will be snapped up by cash/credit rich Championship clubs and the better ones might get silly money in the Premier League. These are younger players of good stock who've played mens football and are worth more. With two sides these clubs get even more young players in, which damages our youth recruitment.

From a competition view its terribly unfair. They have top-level Premier League facilities and an ability to loan players between the clubs. From a supporters standpoint, any charm of seeing "Manchester United" on the scoreboard (erm programme) would quickly diminish. Traveling fans wouldn't be large and the entire thing is very tin-pot.

We have over 100 professional clubs in this country. Many of them have very good facilities. It's not like other European countries where B-Teams have been the thing for years.

To be successful our youth team has to generate money. If it made a loss it wouldn't be there. It's a money spinner. Same goes for Premier League clubs, but they just make money on a grander scale. Its clubs like ours that'll be stomped on.
Login to get fewer ads

City Tonight on 21:55 - Jan 8 with 2858 views49thseason

City Tonight on 21:50 - Jan 8 by DaleFan7

A fairly decent first half, though it should have been 2-1 but their player got cocky with a penalty and passed it back to Norman.

We really can't handle conceding goals though, as soon as one goes in you know more are coming. It was another complete capitulation. What Norman was doing for the first and third I don't know. He's the worst keeper I've seen at Dale in 25 years. His kicking is worse than Gilks but he can't back it up with any decent shot stopping.

The who place is bereft of confidence. It was a decent crowd tonight for that competition and the crowd never got on the players backs all night.It's worrying to see our next 2 away games are Peterborough and Barnsley. Both have already put 4 past us this season when we weren't this bad.

Next Week......
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 21:56]
City Tonight on 21:59 - Jan 8 with 2794 viewsCreepy

City Tonight on 21:23 - Jan 8 by dawlishdale

Having actually been, we did play some lovely stuff in the first half, but although we went in 2-0 up, we could easily have gifted a couple of goals . On the contrary to Nigeria Mark, I thought Jim looked dithery...a typical Jim display. He also gave away the penalty and played them onside a couple of times.

However...the positives were... MJ Williams , Kosi, Rathbone , Adshead and Morley all did well. There was some lovely flowing football, and we looked dangerous at times. Dooley's goal was a belter.

Sadly, Matty Done was hopeless again, unless he was trying to set a new record for being offside.

In the second half, a clanger from Norman (again)...in fact, 2 clangers to be honest, and then he even had a hand in their third with yet another rubbish kick out, followed quickly by City's fourth meant that we've shipped 4 at home again.

Hilly's substitutions actually weakened us; especially Rathbone going off.

Overall... a good first half, and then normal (or is it Norman) service resumed in the second half.

Weird how we all see things differently. I thought M J Williams was shocking and I cannot for the life of me see any qualities in the lad at all. Hey, all about opinions though. Dan for me was a cut above anyone else for us. New lad, Holden had a promising debut.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 22:01]
City Tonight on 21:59 - Jan 8 with 2792 viewsSuddenLad

City Tonight on 21:55 - Jan 8 by 49thseason

Next Week......
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 21:56]

"The crowd never got on the players backs all night".

Except for the mindless booing again at the final whistle. Real confidence booster that...

City Tonight on 22:06 - Jan 8 with 2715 viewsDaleFan7

City Tonight on 21:46 - Jan 8 by dingdangblue

Very entertaining game. We played very well 1st half and should have scored more but sadly anyone who suggests Done upfront again shouldn't - his time is gone.
Norman - ok he saved a poor penalty but his mistakes cost us that game again - looked an accident waiting to happen whilst in possession all night. Impressed with Matheson although he got beat a fair few times he never gives up. Holden looked good and Morley started well but faded probably due to not playing enough. Adshead a little disappointing - was expecting more of him. Dooley and Rathbone were our best players and it's no surprise when we got over run when they were replaced by Inman and Gillam who were both very quiet. City were superb 2nd half - very quick and lively and lots of comfortable possession - seriously impresseesd with number 61 Felix Nmecha - only 18 but a real Rolls Royce of a player and at times he just strolled around us as if we weren't there. He was on the bench for City's Champions League game v Hoffenheim - a serious talent and way too good for us. No disgrace to lose that tonight and Keith was protecting Rathbone and Dooley for Saturday when they came off.

Agree with most of this about our players. Done was awful, his legs have completely gone. Norman, I've got no more words. Adshead played some tidy stuff but didn't really sparkle as he can today.

Dooley needed to come off he was clearly knackered, replacing him with Inman, might as well have put a scarecrow on the pitch.
City Tonight on 22:09 - Jan 8 with 2676 viewsnordenblue

City Tonight on 21:27 - Jan 8 by swiggy

Can still get Peterborough at 11/10 to beat us on Saturday. I would sugggest putting a shed load on it’s either quids in or we’ve miraculously got a point or better. Money where mouth is anyone. By the way I’ve put a few bob on before anyone asks.

Bradford at 5/1 away at Barnsley are massive odds too, bit of a Yorkshire rivalry and they've come into some form, funny old game
City Tonight on 22:31 - Jan 8 with 2481 viewsrochdale_ranger

City Tonight on 21:59 - Jan 8 by SuddenLad

Except for the mindless booing again at the final whistle. Real confidence booster that...

17 goals conceded in four games. I’m not one for booing at the matches (I wasn’t there tonight) but it can hardly be described as mindless,
City Tonight on 22:34 - Jan 8 with 2453 viewsmikehunt

City Tonight on 21:59 - Jan 8 by SuddenLad

The Sandy were brilliant tonight. They did exactly what people have been asking supporters to do - support the team! They sang Norman’s name in the first half (not in an ironic way either) even after he had made an early blunder, mis-kicking a ball straight to one of their’s, and cheered and sang all match. Until the fourth went in when I did hear “sacked in morning” and “we want Hilly out”.
Booing at the end of the game is ok isn’t it? I know the kids don’t deserve it but this is a culmination of the frustrations of the past two seasons. On its own this game counted for nothing, just a bit of light relief. Score didn’t matter but in the grand scheme of things it is another nail in the coffin for the regime. Our results have become farcical.
Oh and please, send Norman back. That was a most inept goalkeeping display. He is going backwards.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

City Tonight on 22:35 - Jan 8 with 2432 viewsSuddenLad

City Tonight on 22:31 - Jan 8 by rochdale_ranger

17 goals conceded in four games. I’m not one for booing at the matches (I wasn’t there tonight) but it can hardly be described as mindless,

Booing the team you claim to support. It's always mindless.

City Tonight on 22:41 - Jan 8 with 2367 viewsrochdale_ranger

City Tonight on 22:35 - Jan 8 by SuddenLad

Booing the team you claim to support. It's always mindless.

There is clear reasons and reasoning for it. It’s far from mindless. How else can a fanbase register its dissatisfaction?
City Tonight on 22:50 - Jan 8 with 2303 viewsmikehunt

City on course for the quintuple! Now that would be a reason to sack this football lark.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

City Tonight on 22:55 - Jan 8 with 2261 views49thseason

It's not so much the fact of losing, it's the manner that gets to you eventually. As I have said a few times, we are down to the bare bones and I really can't be critical of the kids who played tonight, but the lack of leadership from some of the more senior players is a scandal. You have to question what is going on when 16 and 17-year-olds are showing the likes of Done and Inman how to approach the game with the right attitude. How on earth can Done play professional football for most of his adult life and get to 30 and not be able to figure out the offside rules? Inman made virtually no attempt to impact the game, the man has a heart the size of a pea and you have to say that McNulty has reached the end of the road despite scoring a goal, he didn't try to organise at the back when an older head was needed after half time.
We desperately need some players with some substantial league experience who are prepared to take charge and help the kids out. We need some big lads who are fit enough to run 95 minutes and can fight for a result. We were 2-0 up and could have spent the second half putting the ball into row Z, but oh no, these players are now so frighted of not playing to the KH master plan that they keep inviting trouble in their own 1/3 of the pitch. This is a game that we could and should have won and what a boost that would have been.
City Tonight on 23:02 - Jan 8 with 2203 viewsDaleiLama

City Tonight on 21:46 - Jan 8 by dingdangblue

I enjoyed that. And I've replied to your post as it most closely matches my impressions of the game. Thought we got off to a great start and we were more physical than City which took them a bit by surprise. They pressed us to a point but didn't go in for the final challenge at first, hoping to rush us into mistakes. It didn't work. We dodged a bullet with the pen and played some good stuff - looking to go forward most of the time and attacking without the "pressure" of a League fixture weighing us down. So good to get Dooley back. He's got energy, some pace and will run at people. Always looking to go forward. Sure he's not fully fit yet but had a good game, as did Holden. Done looks completely devoid of confidence and ideas out there. Had a golden opportunity to score and didn't pull the trigger.

Then the howler. That was painful to watch and turned the game - it was like watching a balloon with a slow puncture deflate. I agree with DDB - not a classic by Dan Adshead by his standards. Luke had a good game - he did get beat a few times, but isn't he still 16? Let's not get on his back and expect him to be perfect just yet - reality check needed there. I thought Jim did ok in the first half with the obvious exception of conceding the pen, but he looked responsible for their third from where I sat as he seemed to put up as much resistance as a traffic cone.

I also agree that Hilly took Ollie and Dooley off with a view to both starting vs Posh. And they rightly should if fit.

In the end, we looked leggy, leaden and finally statuesque as City grew in strength and confidence and always looked a yard faster than us second half. For me, their Ian Carlo Poveda-Ocampo was a star also. Like quick silver with feet to match. Would like him on loan too please (joke).

Had we not gifted them their first and at least one of their third or 4th, which were a combination of gifts and lack of resistance, we might have taken it to pens. But we didn't. Oh and they put three past Barnsley too ….. so not exactly shabby - they are fast and good in possession with some good finishers. I am nowhere near as despondent as many and quite enjoyed that game. We scored 2 goals - that doesn't happen too often these days. Still short of confidence though.

PS I though Morley was only ok, but disappointed with Gillam. Early days yet, but every time I've seen him play he looks out of his depth, which you can't say about Adshead, Matheson or even Morley.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 23:15]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

City Tonight on 23:06 - Jan 8 with 2160 viewsDaleiLama

City Tonight on 22:41 - Jan 8 by rochdale_ranger

There is clear reasons and reasoning for it. It’s far from mindless. How else can a fanbase register its dissatisfaction?

There's a forum next Monday. They'll even have microphones if people want to boo extra loud to the people who make decisions at the club.

City Tonight on 23:06 - Jan 8 with 2160 viewsrochdale_ranger

Did they bring many supporters?
City Tonight on 23:10 - Jan 8 with 2131 viewsDaleiLama

City Tonight on 23:06 - Jan 8 by rochdale_ranger

Over 500

City Tonight on 23:11 - Jan 8 with 2126 viewsDaleFan7

City Tonight on 23:06 - Jan 8 by rochdale_ranger

City Tonight on 23:14 - Jan 8 with 2102 viewsrochdale_ranger

Wonder how many of them were Rochdale based. I was talking to a City fan at work today and he was none the wiser.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024