Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andy Murray 17:23 - Jan 11 with 3970 viewskiwidale

A lot people dislike him for simply being Scottish and for a tounge in cheek comment football related about England football. For me he is a Champion in a Tennis era that is as good as any in the past.

This is not the time for bickering.

Andy Murray on 18:07 - Jan 11 with 2921 viewsjonesy

Presumably a wind-up?
Andy Murray on 09:13 - Jan 12 with 2720 viewsColDale

Would have had less respect for Murray had he come out with some tabloid appeasing reply stating he wanted all home nations to do well.

Never been a massive tennis fan but surely Murray will go down as one of Britain's greatest ever sportsmen. He may come across as being dour but his matches were as entertaining as any other player, with the serve seemingly less important in his matches than other people. He reached the top in a popular sport and was consistently in the top four for a good ten years. Who else could lay claim to Britain's greatest ever sportsman? Linford Christie? Lennox Lewis? I'd struggle to include any cyclists as our ability to produce so many top class cyclists gives the credit beyond the actual cyclists.
Andy Murray on 10:33 - Jan 12 with 2662 viewsMorden

Andy Murray on 09:13 - Jan 12 by ColDale

Would have had less respect for Murray had he come out with some tabloid appeasing reply stating he wanted all home nations to do well.

Never been a massive tennis fan but surely Murray will go down as one of Britain's greatest ever sportsmen. He may come across as being dour but his matches were as entertaining as any other player, with the serve seemingly less important in his matches than other people. He reached the top in a popular sport and was consistently in the top four for a good ten years. Who else could lay claim to Britain's greatest ever sportsman? Linford Christie? Lennox Lewis? I'd struggle to include any cyclists as our ability to produce so many top class cyclists gives the credit beyond the actual cyclists.

Absolutely. There's not much more nauseating than hearing sports stars spouting stuff just for forms sake which they obviously don't believe. Same with Hansen. At the World Cup he was criticised for not leaping up in delight when England scored like the English pundits did. It would have looked very odd, like us cheering a Germany goal.
Andy Murray on 12:37 - Jan 12 with 2593 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Andy Murray on 09:13 - Jan 12 by ColDale

Agree with most of that, except that the Cyclists still have to have amazing athleticism , fitness and strength to do what they do, so I would add , Sir Chris Hoy, the Kennys, Victoria Pendleton Chris Froome etc and of course from athletics Sir Mo, Dame Kelly, Jessica Ennis etc. Of course many other sports including some that don’t require a lot of athleticism could supply names, like Darts and Snooker.

Andy Murray though as represented Britain brilliantly, as well as Scotland, but mostly when he has played, he has had the GB tag as his country, an absolute star of tennis, as well as promoting the female side of things.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Andy Murray on 12:44 - Jan 12 with 2588 viewselectricblue

Never been a Murray fan christ im not even a tennis fan and i blame the BBC for that...

But why oh why would anybody sit there infront of the media crying his eyes out for all to see that injury as almost valled time on his well paid career..

Smacks of attention seeking to me or i want my mummy..

You dont getting other sports personalities scriking their eyes out because they have to retire...

Get a grip Murray...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Andy Murray on 12:51 - Jan 12 with 2559 viewsD_Alien

Andy Murray on 12:44 - Jan 12 by electricblue

Never been a Murray fan christ im not even a tennis fan and i blame the BBC for that...

But why oh why would anybody sit there infront of the media crying his eyes out for all to see that injury as almost valled time on his well paid career..

You dont getting other sports personalities scriking their eyes out because they have to retire...

Get a grip Murray...

Must admit, i have some sympathy with that view, electric, and I'm a Murray fan

I wouldn't call it attention seeking, just unnecessary, especially considering his success both personal and as the mainstay of British Davis Cup/Olympic triumphs were unlikely to be repeated. There's many a sportsperson whose careers end unfulfilled - he might've given that some thought

Good luck to him in the future

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Andy Murray on 12:56 - Jan 12 with 2553 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Get a grip Murray...

Of course none of of the stars from our sport of football have ever broken down emotionally, like during an important match on the world stage as an example.

Murray doesn’t need to attention seek , he is already one of the most famous sports stars in the world. I don’t think he attentionally broke down, it just happened, it does, nothing to be ashamed of, neither was it when Paul Gasgoine broke down after getting himself banned from the next match.

Andy Murray on 13:16 - Jan 12 with 2532 viewsRalphs12

Get a grip Murray...

Or you know, hes wearing his heart on his sleeve in the press conference and being honest, that the playing career that he has dedicated his life to is coming to an end.

We want our sports personalitys to show some emotion and that they care, Murray has been repeatedly slated for having no personality but then when they/he do/does they are "attention seeking"? Is that what the england players did when we got beat at the world cup?

But maybe you are right he should just be stoney faced and say "oh well my careers over, better go count the money in the bank, yippee"

Frig me, he gives a sh*t, shame on him.
Login to get fewer ads

Andy Murray (n/t) on 14:43 - Jan 12 with 2450 viewsPooley

[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 15:02]
Andy Murray on 14:51 - Jan 12 with 2440 viewssweetcorn

Get a grip Murray...

Loads of sportsmen cry when they retire, wtf are you talking about

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Andy Murray on 14:56 - Jan 12 with 2429 viewssweetcorn

Andy Murray on 12:51 - Jan 12 by D_Alien

Must admit, i have some sympathy with that view, electric, and I'm a Murray fan

I wouldn't call it attention seeking, just unnecessary, especially considering his success both personal and as the mainstay of British Davis Cup/Olympic triumphs were unlikely to be repeated. There's many a sportsperson whose careers end unfulfilled - he might've given that some thought

Good luck to him in the future

His career has been forced short, in reality he’s been retired since he was 29, as the last 2 years he’s barely played and when he has his body hasnt allowed him to perform to his high standards.

He was world number 1 when he got injured, so of course he’s going to feel unfilled, just because he’s had a successful career, doesn’t mean he feels satisfied and will be thinking what could have been..
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 14:57]

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Andy Murray on 15:04 - Jan 12 with 2402 viewsD_Alien

Andy Murray on 14:56 - Jan 12 by sweetcorn

His career has been forced short, in reality he’s been retired since he was 29, as the last 2 years he’s barely played and when he has his body hasnt allowed him to perform to his high standards.

He was world number 1 when he got injured, so of course he’s going to feel unfilled, just because he’s had a successful career, doesn’t mean he feels satisfied and will be thinking what could have been..
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 14:57]

Yeah, but compared to the 90+ % of tennis players who win f*ck all, he's been blessed. Just saying he's led a privileged sporting life and forget other sportsmen, he's in the top 1% of lifetime achievers. Feeling sorry for himself isn't justified but as i say, good luck to him and hope he makes something of the rest of his life - like everyone else has to do

Andy Murray on 15:17 - Jan 12 with 2373 viewsrochdaleriddler

Andy Murray on 15:04 - Jan 12 by D_Alien

Yeah, but compared to the 90+ % of tennis players who win f*ck all, he's been blessed. Just saying he's led a privileged sporting life and forget other sportsmen, he's in the top 1% of lifetime achievers. Feeling sorry for himself isn't justified but as i say, good luck to him and hope he makes something of the rest of his life - like everyone else has to do

HE says thanks

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Andy Murray on 21:04 - Jan 12 with 2240 viewsDaleiLama

Very interesting 7 pages in the Times on him today and also discussion on here.

On the "Scottishness" issue, I too was guilty of disliking him based on his comments about supporting anyone other than England at footy, but in context, he was a teenager and was responding to an English friend who had taken the piss out of Scotland's poor record and performances. He then received comments on social media like "I hope you never win another tennis game in your life" and someone walked past him when he was on the phone and said "Scottish w@nker". He is also pro-independence for Scotland but again, there are two sides to every story and his two proudest moments are his second Wimbledon and carrying the Union Jack in Rio.

With regards to his public display of emotion, I can see both sides to the debate but at the end of the day, I'm quite sure he had no choice in this. I lost my father a little over a year ago. I still get emotional at all sorts of stuff, including Dennis's funeral service on Thursday and even Dianne Oxberry's passing. Triggers cause reactions which are sometimes uncontrollable.

In the context of greatest sportsmen, the Times put him in the conversation with Charlton, Redgrave, Coe and Botham. Cyclists have put up great feats of endurance and sacrifice too. There are even more arduous endurance events than that. It's a tough call to make. Modern tennis turns me off with the ludicrous cannon serves so I don't profess to have watched much, but one thing is for sure, he competed and won against a golden era of opponents in terms of being tough to beat. He became no. 1. Not only that but he won at the home of tennis at Wimbledon, with the equivalent tennis weight of expectation as a home World Cup for England. Not only did he not bottle it, he overcame the pressure and triumphed twice.

I took two things from the coverage - he maximised his potential and he gave Dunblane a reason to smile again. He certainly (in spite of my personal luke-warmness towards him) has some very powerful arguments going for him as Britain's GOAT.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 21:13]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Andy Murray on 22:57 - Jan 12 with 2178 viewskiwidale

Andy Murray on 21:04 - Jan 12 by DaleiLama

Very interesting 7 pages in the Times on him today and also discussion on here.

On the "Scottishness" issue, I too was guilty of disliking him based on his comments about supporting anyone other than England at footy, but in context, he was a teenager and was responding to an English friend who had taken the piss out of Scotland's poor record and performances. He then received comments on social media like "I hope you never win another tennis game in your life" and someone walked past him when he was on the phone and said "Scottish w@nker". He is also pro-independence for Scotland but again, there are two sides to every story and his two proudest moments are his second Wimbledon and carrying the Union Jack in Rio.

With regards to his public display of emotion, I can see both sides to the debate but at the end of the day, I'm quite sure he had no choice in this. I lost my father a little over a year ago. I still get emotional at all sorts of stuff, including Dennis's funeral service on Thursday and even Dianne Oxberry's passing. Triggers cause reactions which are sometimes uncontrollable.

In the context of greatest sportsmen, the Times put him in the conversation with Charlton, Redgrave, Coe and Botham. Cyclists have put up great feats of endurance and sacrifice too. There are even more arduous endurance events than that. It's a tough call to make. Modern tennis turns me off with the ludicrous cannon serves so I don't profess to have watched much, but one thing is for sure, he competed and won against a golden era of opponents in terms of being tough to beat. He became no. 1. Not only that but he won at the home of tennis at Wimbledon, with the equivalent tennis weight of expectation as a home World Cup for England. Not only did he not bottle it, he overcame the pressure and triumphed twice.

I took two things from the coverage - he maximised his potential and he gave Dunblane a reason to smile again. He certainly (in spite of my personal luke-warmness towards him) has some very powerful arguments going for him as Britain's GOAT.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 21:13]

That's the best post on this thread and a big call for GOAT however when you consider how may grand slams are won by players over 30 you could argue Murray had yet to peak, factor in the undisputed fact that two of the greatest players of his or any generation were coming to the end of their dominance, Murray may well have gone on to many more grand slams. He is a true Champion for me and his emotional press conference only shows that he is human. Murray is proud to be both Scottish and British just like Im am proud to be both English and British.

This is not the time for bickering.

Andy Murray on 23:54 - Jan 12 with 2131 viewsDaley_Lama

I’ve always chuckled at the hatred he got for his I will support anybody agai st England comment.

That’s the moment I began liking him. He’s Scottish, if he doesn’t hate England (full stop) then he bloody well should at football. Politically correct not to, I don’t care for political correctness.

He’s dour, again, he’s Scottish, bravo.

Won some majors during a golden era, Timmy couldn’t get close.

Poll: DF in or out

Andy Murray on 13:04 - Jan 13 with 1976 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Andy Murray on 23:54 - Jan 12 by Daley_Lama

I’ve always chuckled at the hatred he got for his I will support anybody agai st England comment.

That’s the moment I began liking him. He’s Scottish, if he doesn’t hate England (full stop) then he bloody well should at football. Politically correct not to, I don’t care for political correctness.

He’s dour, again, he’s Scottish, bravo.

Won some majors during a golden era, Timmy couldn’t get close.

Absolately. And when it came to it like in the Davis Cup and Olympics he was proud to represent GB.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 16:47]

Andy Murray on 09:40 - Jan 14 with 1807 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I wouldn`t say he has been blessed or privileged. He`s had to work bloody hard for what he has achieved and doesn`t have the natural flair or skills the other top players around him have. His achievements have been made on the back of very hard work and no little sacrifice from a very early age. Yet, he has been at the top of the sport for the last 10 years, which when the likes of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal to name but 3, have been around at the same time, is no mean feat. Had just one of the aforementioned not been around, he would have won double the number of titles. Nothing wrong with showing emotion. If any of us fans had to stop going to watch the team we love, I`m sure many would shed a few tears.
Andy Murray on 09:50 - Jan 14 with 1792 viewsD_Alien

Andy Murray on 09:40 - Jan 14 by RooleyMoorBlue

I wouldn`t say he has been blessed or privileged. He`s had to work bloody hard for what he has achieved and doesn`t have the natural flair or skills the other top players around him have. His achievements have been made on the back of very hard work and no little sacrifice from a very early age. Yet, he has been at the top of the sport for the last 10 years, which when the likes of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal to name but 3, have been around at the same time, is no mean feat. Had just one of the aforementioned not been around, he would have won double the number of titles. Nothing wrong with showing emotion. If any of us fans had to stop going to watch the team we love, I`m sure many would shed a few tears.

I was thrilled by his success, and it also sounds like he's been a leading advocate for gender equality in tennis, which i very much support

My point about being "blessed" was with the 90-odd percent of tennis pros who never win anything in mind, though it'd be tough on them to say that Murray has worked any harder. Their careers end without much sympathy - just saying it's not sympathy he needs in that context

Looks like today's match could be his last. Let's praise him by all means, but sympathy? No

[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 9:53]

Andy Murray on 10:01 - Jan 14 with 1770 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Andy Murray on 09:50 - Jan 14 by D_Alien

I was thrilled by his success, and it also sounds like he's been a leading advocate for gender equality in tennis, which i very much support

My point about being "blessed" was with the 90-odd percent of tennis pros who never win anything in mind, though it'd be tough on them to say that Murray has worked any harder. Their careers end without much sympathy - just saying it's not sympathy he needs in that context

Looks like today's match could be his last. Let's praise him by all means, but sympathy? No

[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 9:53]

I`d sympathise with any sports person whose career is cut short by injury. As far as Murray is concerned I would say he does work harder than most, that is why he has been successful, while the likes of Dan whatshisname takes a line of white powder rather than training. 90%+ of tennis players aren`t British, so I don`t give a toss about them, unless their careers are cut short by injury :P

Would you feel sorry for a darts player having to give up cos he has stenosis or summat?

All that said, I do get your point and sympathy isn`t quite the word for Murray`s situation.
Andy Murray on 10:19 - Jan 14 with 1749 viewsD_Alien

Andy Murray on 10:01 - Jan 14 by RooleyMoorBlue

I`d sympathise with any sports person whose career is cut short by injury. As far as Murray is concerned I would say he does work harder than most, that is why he has been successful, while the likes of Dan whatshisname takes a line of white powder rather than training. 90%+ of tennis players aren`t British, so I don`t give a toss about them, unless their careers are cut short by injury :P

Would you feel sorry for a darts player having to give up cos he has stenosis or summat?

All that said, I do get your point and sympathy isn`t quite the word for Murray`s situation.

And it'd also be fair to say that he probably wasn't looking for sympathy, as such

I've nowt against anyone showing emotion btw

Battling to stay in the match...

Andy Murray on 12:14 - Jan 14 with 1671 viewsD_Alien

Andy Murray on 10:19 - Jan 14 by D_Alien

And it'd also be fair to say that he probably wasn't looking for sympathy, as such

I've nowt against anyone showing emotion btw

Battling to stay in the match...

Epic match, and gave everything he had, as always

Andy Murray on 12:37 - Jan 14 with 1634 viewsJimmyRustler

Great player who has been really unlucky with injuries towards the end of his career. Not the most talented player to ever grace the court but more than made up with that with his grit and determination. With that being said, he's probably in the top 5 returners of all time for me and is certainly one of the fastest players around the court I've ever seen. Big fan of his tennis but not enough charisma to ever endear him to me tbh
Andy Murray on 14:28 - Jan 14 with 1534 views1907

Get a grip Murray...

Easily one of the worst posts I’ve ever read in this forum. What a bizarre view of the world you have.
Andy Murray on 14:58 - Jan 14 with 1514 viewspioneer

A lot of his injury issues emerged following that crazy year where he played tournament after tournament without a break in order to reach No 1 ranking. Always a thought that to achieve his goal he might have 'overdone it' . However I expect he might believe it was a price worth paying.

He is definitely not looking for sympathy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024