Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC 13:44 - Feb 5 with 6871 viewsphilofOAFC

Just heard Joe Thompson has retired from professional football at Rochdale FC.
This man scored the goal that ultimately relegated OAFC last season but it is more fitting that he is remembered as a brave young man who beat cancer twice and returned to play for Rochdale FC until his body could no longer meet the demands of the professional game.
You, Joe Thompson, are a credit to yourself, your family, your club and football in general but also to 1000s of young people struck down by this awful condition.
Good luck in all you do in the future Joe from all at OAFC

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 14:11 - Feb 5 with 6774 viewsDaleiLama

Class.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 16:10 - Feb 5 with 6578 viewsbig_dave

Nice one, Phil..
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 20:00 - Feb 5 with 6244 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 16:10 - Feb 5 by big_dave

Nice one, Phil..

30 up votes I can’t say I have ever seen on here! Well said Phil!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 16:48 - Feb 6 with 5803 viewsMolly

Phil, your post puts a lot of things into perspective. As a fan of one of Rochdale's nearest rivals it's fantastic that you can come onto the Rochdale website and say what you said. It shows that the world of football is sometimes far more important than petty bickering and arguements.
The fact that your post has thus far been given 50 up votes shows what Rochdale fans think of it.
Thank you.
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 23:36 - Feb 6 with 5519 viewsphilofOAFC

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 16:48 - Feb 6 by Molly

Phil, your post puts a lot of things into perspective. As a fan of one of Rochdale's nearest rivals it's fantastic that you can come onto the Rochdale website and say what you said. It shows that the world of football is sometimes far more important than petty bickering and arguements.
The fact that your post has thus far been given 50 up votes shows what Rochdale fans think of it.
Thank you.

Thanks Molly. I love my football, love OAFC but in truth I love all fans who feel the same way about their club as I do mine.
When I was stood at Northampton on the last game of last season nervously awaiting news from Spotland and the news came through you were 1-0 up, I remember thinking "Hope Joe Thompson scored". May seem a strange thought when you are watching your charges fighting against relegation but it was what came to me. The rest is history...…. Dale deservedly survived, we deservedly went down.
I think Joe should rightly remembered by all of football for the fortitude and bravery he showed in fighting cancer and is an inspiration to us all. Football means a lot to us all but some things are definitely more important. I hope the testimonial game is against OAFC as I am sure our lot would respond in numbers and support a worthwhile cause. Best of luck to Joe for rest of his life & to you lot for rest of season.
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 00:44 - Feb 7 with 5465 viewsSandyman

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 23:36 - Feb 6 by philofOAFC

Thanks Molly. I love my football, love OAFC but in truth I love all fans who feel the same way about their club as I do mine.
When I was stood at Northampton on the last game of last season nervously awaiting news from Spotland and the news came through you were 1-0 up, I remember thinking "Hope Joe Thompson scored". May seem a strange thought when you are watching your charges fighting against relegation but it was what came to me. The rest is history...…. Dale deservedly survived, we deservedly went down.
I think Joe should rightly remembered by all of football for the fortitude and bravery he showed in fighting cancer and is an inspiration to us all. Football means a lot to us all but some things are definitely more important. I hope the testimonial game is against OAFC as I am sure our lot would respond in numbers and support a worthwhile cause. Best of luck to Joe for rest of his life & to you lot for rest of season.

Good shout. Thank you. And lets not forget what both our clubs did for Ernie Cooksey as well who is fondly remembered by OAFC and RAFC.
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 22:15 - Feb 7 with 5081 viewsphilofOAFC

Cheers Sandyman. Ernie Cooksey was a wonderful servant to both clubs, he was the epitome of everything that is good about football, a journeyman who made the most of his talent and became a professional footballer. So sad he was taken by that bloody awful disease but his memory lives on within both OAFC and Rochdale FC and it proves that when it boils down to it, there is more between football fans of rival clubs than maybe we care to openly admit.
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 09:33 - Feb 8 with 4888 viewsDaleiLama

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 22:15 - Feb 7 by philofOAFC

Cheers Sandyman. Ernie Cooksey was a wonderful servant to both clubs, he was the epitome of everything that is good about football, a journeyman who made the most of his talent and became a professional footballer. So sad he was taken by that bloody awful disease but his memory lives on within both OAFC and Rochdale FC and it proves that when it boils down to it, there is more between football fans of rival clubs than maybe we care to openly admit.

I think your OP had the power to touch anyone who read it, since everyone will be affected either directly or indirectly by this insidious disease. Football is just a game and you get a second chance with a relegation. Too many people don't with cancer. The most up votes I can remember seeing in my time posting was in the 30s iirc - 66 for yours (at time of typing) is off the charts. Your words and the sentiment behind them are so genuine that they elicited this kind of overwhelming response. We do indeed have a lot more in common than we have to divide us. And we are all northerners as well! Good luck to Latics too.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2019 10:56]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 22:02 - Feb 16 with 4470 viewsphilofOAFC

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 09:33 - Feb 8 by DaleiLama

I think your OP had the power to touch anyone who read it, since everyone will be affected either directly or indirectly by this insidious disease. Football is just a game and you get a second chance with a relegation. Too many people don't with cancer. The most up votes I can remember seeing in my time posting was in the 30s iirc - 66 for yours (at time of typing) is off the charts. Your words and the sentiment behind them are so genuine that they elicited this kind of overwhelming response. We do indeed have a lot more in common than we have to divide us. And we are all northerners as well! Good luck to Latics too.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2019 10:56]

Thanks Daleilama

I haven't heard any more about Joe's benefit game, I do hope its against Latics but aim to attend whatever.
Good luck for rest of season, may catch you again in league 1 although doubtful
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 23:35 - May 29 with 3917 viewsphilofOAFC

Just heard about the testimonial - have shared it on OAFC Fans Page group on Facebook - hopefully get a few BIffos to attend to pay respects to a great inspiration

" A very worthy cause, this lad beat cancer twice but sadly it forced him into early retirement. This lad is a credit to himself, his family and Rochdale FC and to all those who are living with cancer & other awful conditions.
This lad also scored the goal that ultimately sent Latics down but that was down to our ineptitude so cannot hold it against him.
I know Latics fans are a decent lot and particularly those on this group, thought I'd share this for any like minded Latics fan who might wish to attend & pay respects to a young man who was struck down in his prime but came back twice before it stopped him"

Good luck Joe from all at OAFC - from a Biffo with humility lol
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 23:57 - May 29 with 3891 viewsphilofOAFC

This is the fella who's goal ultimately relegated us to league two but I have nothing but respect for him. At times like this real football fans come together x

Another Biffo with humility lol - think OAFC will be well represented - hopefully anyway
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 14:21 - May 30 with 3453 views1907

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 23:35 - May 29 by philofOAFC

Just heard about the testimonial - have shared it on OAFC Fans Page group on Facebook - hopefully get a few BIffos to attend to pay respects to a great inspiration

" A very worthy cause, this lad beat cancer twice but sadly it forced him into early retirement. This lad is a credit to himself, his family and Rochdale FC and to all those who are living with cancer & other awful conditions.
This lad also scored the goal that ultimately sent Latics down but that was down to our ineptitude so cannot hold it against him.
I know Latics fans are a decent lot and particularly those on this group, thought I'd share this for any like minded Latics fan who might wish to attend & pay respects to a young man who was struck down in his prime but came back twice before it stopped him"

Good luck Joe from all at OAFC - from a Biffo with humility lol

You’re alright for a BIFFO you Phil
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 16:10 - May 30 with 3352 viewsaleanddale

Cheers Phil.

80 + votes!

Never seen that before.

Top Man.
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 17:45 - May 30 with 3282 viewsShun

Great stuff Phil.

Summer hols are traditionally a no-Dale period for me but I’ll definitely make an exception for this. I’m curious who he’s going to get to play.
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 17:53 - May 30 with 3262 viewsJames1980

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 17:45 - May 30 by Shun

Great stuff Phil.

Summer hols are traditionally a no-Dale period for me but I’ll definitely make an exception for this. I’m curious who he’s going to get to play.

Have you bought your ticket?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 19:00 - May 30 with 3188 viewsphilofOAFC

Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 16:10 - May 30 by aleanddale

Cheers Phil.

80 + votes!

Never seen that before.

Top Man.

lots of interest on our Group - one lad is organising a coach & all proceeds be donated to Joe Thompson fund.

An inspiration to us all
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 13:12 - Apr 12 with 1087 viewsphilofOAFC

Just heard the awful news that Joe Thompson's cancer has returned .....absolutely devastated for him and his young family ; don't give up Joe (as if you would), all true football fans even us across the A627, are with you all the way. Cancer has no colours
Joe Thompson retirement - from all at OAFC on 14:54 - Apr 12 with 885 viewsblackdogblue

Thanks Phil … kind words 👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024