Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillam's popped his Cork 17:10 - Feb 14 with 3827 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/february/mattygillamjoinscorkcity/
[Post edited 14 Feb 2019 17:12]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Gillam's popped his Cork on 17:42 - Feb 14 with 3718 viewsjonahwhereru

Good news for all concerned.

The player will benefit from broadening his horizons and the chance of more game time. It helps cement our relationship with all things Cork. Although BBM’s family legacy in them parts gives us an edge in any event. Good for the Dale as it reduces the number of options Keith has available. I think the size of the squad has not helped him in seeing the wood for the trees.

Hopefully he will make an impact.

Not sure which players contracts expire this summer but with 7 loanees required-at the club I would expect all those who’s contracts are running down to be released. Otherwise we would not need all these loanees, bar Lonergan.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 10:03 - Feb 15 with 3296 viewsParkinsGimp

Unfortunately he is not good enough for even League 2 level.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 10:22 - Feb 15 with 3265 viewsscarrow

Gillam's popped his Cork on 10:03 - Feb 15 by ParkinsGimp

Unfortunately he is not good enough for even League 2 level.

Made a prediction that your comment was going to be negative before I even read it. Such a happy Chappy aren’t you gimpy

Poll: Final position

Gillam's popped his Cork on 11:09 - Feb 15 with 3202 viewsseasidedale

Gillam singed a 2 year deal last summer
Gillam's popped his Cork on 11:19 - Feb 15 with 3193 viewsnordenblue

Gillam's popped his Cork on 11:09 - Feb 15 by seasidedale

Gillam singed a 2 year deal last summer

That will take it's toll on his throat.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 12:26 - Feb 15 with 3104 viewsDaleFan7

It's a weird one with Gillam. We couldn't score goals last season and he never played. I thought he'd be one of the released players in the summer which he wasn't. Offered a 2 year deal so thought he'd be in Hills plans.

However, he's hardly played this season either and when he has he's been victim to Hill's just shove someone out wide to fit the system. Now he's been loaned out.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 14:07 - Feb 15 with 3002 viewsdawlishdale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 12:26 - Feb 15 by DaleFan7

It's a weird one with Gillam. We couldn't score goals last season and he never played. I thought he'd be one of the released players in the summer which he wasn't. Offered a 2 year deal so thought he'd be in Hills plans.

However, he's hardly played this season either and when he has he's been victim to Hill's just shove someone out wide to fit the system. Now he's been loaned out.

The bottom line with Gillam is that he isn't good enough, and lacks pace. He clearly has some talent and can score goals, but looks sluggish at L1 level.

Always seems to try hard, but I can't see him progressing unless he can speed up a bit.

Hope he enjoys his time at Cork.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 14:22 - Feb 15 with 2975 viewsJimmyRustler

Gillam's popped his Cork on 14:07 - Feb 15 by dawlishdale

The bottom line with Gillam is that he isn't good enough, and lacks pace. He clearly has some talent and can score goals, but looks sluggish at L1 level.

Always seems to try hard, but I can't see him progressing unless he can speed up a bit.

Hope he enjoys his time at Cork.

I don't think he's particularly slow, nor do I believe that you need pace at this level to be successful. I just don't think he's good enough for League 1 football to be honest. Mind you, how many minutes has he actually had playing in his preferred position?
Login to get fewer ads

Gillam's popped his Cork on 14:27 - Feb 15 with 2957 viewsSaxonDale

Wouldn't trust him to make a positive impact in our team if we needed one- good decision.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2019 14:36]
Gillam's popped his Cork on 11:24 - Feb 16 with 2589 viewsDaleFan7

If all the above is true, which it probably is. Why are we offering people 2 year deals that aren't good enough and aren't going to play?
Gillam's popped his Cork on 15:30 - Feb 16 with 2478 views49thseason

Gillam's popped his Cork on 11:24 - Feb 16 by DaleFan7

If all the above is true, which it probably is. Why are we offering people 2 year deals that aren't good enough and aren't going to play?

Given that you need 18 players for a matchday squad, I guess you probably need a squad of getting on for 30 players simply to cover the bases. signing 3 or 4 kids on 2-year deals if they are only makeweights is obviously a better option, at least from a salary perspective, to paying seasoned pros and if one of them goes on to be a star player .... happy days. KH uses these players in the Checkatrade etc and thus gives his starting 11 fewer games to worry about getting injured in. I don't think every squad member is intended to be a potential starter every week, just a fairly competent should the need arise.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 16:07 - Feb 16 with 2422 views442Dale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 15:30 - Feb 16 by 49thseason

Given that you need 18 players for a matchday squad, I guess you probably need a squad of getting on for 30 players simply to cover the bases. signing 3 or 4 kids on 2-year deals if they are only makeweights is obviously a better option, at least from a salary perspective, to paying seasoned pros and if one of them goes on to be a star player .... happy days. KH uses these players in the Checkatrade etc and thus gives his starting 11 fewer games to worry about getting injured in. I don't think every squad member is intended to be a potential starter every week, just a fairly competent should the need arise.

Gillam, if he’s good enough, should be in the squad more often than not. That he isn’t and we’ve cluttered it up with a multitude of other players who can play in the positions he does indicates that he isn’t contributing at a level others have at similar stages of their careers - think Allen, Camps who when they made the squad, they stayed there.

The size of the squad has been one of the main reasons we have struggled for two seasons now.
There is no need to have more than two keepers, seven defenders, five midfielders and five forwards with the youth players looking to make an impact ie. some senior players missing out on a place on the bench/team if the youngsters are good enough. Of those 19 some will have the ability to play different roles eg. CH who can play full back or midfield (think Rhys Bennett) midfielders/forwards who can play in different positions much as they do now.

At present we have:
GK - 3 including an emergency loan and a youngster
Defenders - 8 including three left backs none of whom have started the last two games
Midfielders - 5
Forwards - 8 including three on-loan of which only one can realistically be included in the squad at present.

Those outfield numbers do not include any of Adshead, Morley or Matheson who supporters have reasonably high hopes for. We are not using our available resources anywhere near well enough, and that’s being kind.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gillam's popped his Cork on 17:08 - Feb 16 with 2342 viewsMancDale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 16:07 - Feb 16 by 442Dale

Gillam, if he’s good enough, should be in the squad more often than not. That he isn’t and we’ve cluttered it up with a multitude of other players who can play in the positions he does indicates that he isn’t contributing at a level others have at similar stages of their careers - think Allen, Camps who when they made the squad, they stayed there.

The size of the squad has been one of the main reasons we have struggled for two seasons now.
There is no need to have more than two keepers, seven defenders, five midfielders and five forwards with the youth players looking to make an impact ie. some senior players missing out on a place on the bench/team if the youngsters are good enough. Of those 19 some will have the ability to play different roles eg. CH who can play full back or midfield (think Rhys Bennett) midfielders/forwards who can play in different positions much as they do now.

At present we have:
GK - 3 including an emergency loan and a youngster
Defenders - 8 including three left backs none of whom have started the last two games
Midfielders - 5
Forwards - 8 including three on-loan of which only one can realistically be included in the squad at present.

Those outfield numbers do not include any of Adshead, Morley or Matheson who supporters have reasonably high hopes for. We are not using our available resources anywhere near well enough, and that’s being kind.

Something I've wondered for a while is how bad we've been affected by the enforcement of the transfer windows. Previously we'd been able to bring in players at any point during the season to cover for injuries or give us a boost when we've been struggling. Now that's no longer an option it seems we've been carrying a bigger squad but with less quality. When I look at our squad it's a lot tougher to pick a first 11 than it used to be. Obviously it's the same for every team but it seems we've struggled more to adapt to it.

Whatever division we're in next season I hope we risk a smaller squad and concentrate more on players we can trust week in week out. If we get loads of injuries and have to rely on youth players then so be it. At least most reasonable fans would accept it.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 17:40 - Feb 16 with 2287 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 17:08 - Feb 16 by MancDale

Something I've wondered for a while is how bad we've been affected by the enforcement of the transfer windows. Previously we'd been able to bring in players at any point during the season to cover for injuries or give us a boost when we've been struggling. Now that's no longer an option it seems we've been carrying a bigger squad but with less quality. When I look at our squad it's a lot tougher to pick a first 11 than it used to be. Obviously it's the same for every team but it seems we've struggled more to adapt to it.

Whatever division we're in next season I hope we risk a smaller squad and concentrate more on players we can trust week in week out. If we get loads of injuries and have to rely on youth players then so be it. At least most reasonable fans would accept it.

But wouldn’t that effect the majority of the other League 1 and 2 teams, other than the well off ones?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Gillam's popped his Cork on 17:45 - Feb 16 with 2270 viewsMancDale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 17:40 - Feb 16 by foreverhopefulDale

But wouldn’t that effect the majority of the other League 1 and 2 teams, other than the well off ones?

Yeah obviously it would, I'm not trying to make excuses. The question I'm asking is if we've struggled to adapt to it more than others. Also it'll affect teams like us more than the bigger teams.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 18:35 - Feb 16 with 2215 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 17:45 - Feb 16 by MancDale

Yeah obviously it would, I'm not trying to make excuses. The question I'm asking is if we've struggled to adapt to it more than others. Also it'll affect teams like us more than the bigger teams.

Maybe our manager and his team just haven’t managed the switch well.

Gillam's popped his Cork on 18:50 - Feb 16 with 2186 viewsMancDale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 18:35 - Feb 16 by foreverhopefulDale

Maybe our manager and his team just haven’t managed the switch well.

I agree we've not managed it well. That's probably at least part of the reason why we've struggled the last two seasons having previously stayed up easily.
Gillam's popped his Cork on 18:53 - Feb 16 with 2171 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 18:50 - Feb 16 by MancDale

I agree we've not managed it well. That's probably at least part of the reason why we've struggled the last two seasons having previously stayed up easily.

I forgot, when did transfer window start, didn’t KH do ok or indeed well, when it first came in?

Gillam's popped his Cork on 21:11 - Feb 16 with 2068 viewsseasidedale

I seem to remember that in the 08-09 season, I think. we had a large squad and we chopped and changed almost as much as now, and although we reached the play offs we didn’t seem to play well at all, so there may be something in smaller squads
Gillam's popped his Cork on 21:37 - Feb 16 with 2029 views442Dale

Gillam's popped his Cork on 21:11 - Feb 16 by seasidedale

I seem to remember that in the 08-09 season, I think. we had a large squad and we chopped and changed almost as much as now, and although we reached the play offs we didn’t seem to play well at all, so there may be something in smaller squads

As per Soccerbase we actually had 25 different players start league games that season.

Going off there, since Hill returned to the club we’ve had the following number start league games (plus varying numbers between one and four who only appeared as a sub:
13/14: 25
14/15: 28
15/16: 27
16/17: 27
17/18: 30
18/19: 31

Stats can of course be used in various ways to back an argument, but the two poorest seasons so far in terms of results have seen 30+ players start league games.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gillam's popped his Cork on 07:50 - Feb 18 with 1726 viewsEllDale

I noticed that Doncaster brought on Kieran Sadlier as a substitute yesterday and much was made by the commentary team on his background with Cork City.
There must be plenty of their former players over here at the moment!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024