Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochedale 07:06 - Feb 19 with 2925 viewsDiddyDave

Had a trip back to New Zealand recently and happened to go into an English style pub,the Prince Albert,in Cambridge,heart of the country`s horse racing industry. Got my pint of Kilkenny and walked around looking at all the various prints of rural England obviously from a couple of hundred years ago. The most interesting was a Map of Lancaster,showing Rochedale with the middle e and in quite bold letters as opposed to other towns and hamlets. Is this how Rochdale was spelt back in the day? If so,does anybody know when and why the middle e was dropped off? I`ve googled the town many times and have never seen it spelt thus,but there`s a suburb in Brisbane that does call it Rochedale,implying the people who settled there in the 1800s came from SE Lancashire.
Rochedale on 09:13 - Feb 19 with 2788 viewsAncoats_Blue

Literacy rates weren’t very high pre the late 19th century and there were many variations in the spellings of place names, surnames etc. One man wrote Rochedale, another Rochdale. Somewhere along the line the current format was agreed as correct.
Rochedale on 09:57 - Feb 19 with 2716 viewsDaleiLama

Rochedale on 09:13 - Feb 19 by Ancoats_Blue

Literacy rates weren’t very high pre the late 19th century and there were many variations in the spellings of place names, surnames etc. One man wrote Rochedale, another Rochdale. Somewhere along the line the current format was agreed as correct.

It could be argued literacy rates are going back to those levels with txt spk etc?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Rochedale on 10:29 - Feb 19 with 2658 viewsD_Alien

To turn this on it's head, so to speak, I've always wondered why the River Roch is pronounced as if it has an 'e' on the end, or perhaps an 'a' after the 'o'

As it stands, shouldn't Roch be pronounced like crotch?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochedale on 11:19 - Feb 19 with 2573 viewskiwidale

Rochedale on 10:29 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

To turn this on it's head, so to speak, I've always wondered why the River Roch is pronounced as if it has an 'e' on the end, or perhaps an 'a' after the 'o'

I've wondered that myself, maybe the dialect used in Rochdale back then rendered it as river Roch rather than Roche?... back to the opening post the Brisbane district of Rochedale has no association with Rochdale it was named after the original settlers the Roche family from Ireland.

My local supermarket here in Browns bay is selling Rochdale cider its NZ's oldest cider brewery located in the Stoke district of Nelson NZ.

http://www.rochdalecider.com/our-range/

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 11:24]

This is not the time for bickering.

Rochedale on 11:35 - Feb 19 with 2543 viewsdownunder

Rochedale on 11:19 - Feb 19 by kiwidale

I've wondered that myself, maybe the dialect used in Rochdale back then rendered it as river Roch rather than Roche?... back to the opening post the Brisbane district of Rochedale has no association with Rochdale it was named after the original settlers the Roche family from Ireland.

My local supermarket here in Browns bay is selling Rochdale cider its NZ's oldest cider brewery located in the Stoke district of Nelson NZ.

http://www.rochdalecider.com/our-range/

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 11:24]

And a very nice cider it is.
Rochedale on 12:54 - Feb 19 with 2428 viewsEllDale

I always understand that the town was called Rochedale at one stage but that the middle e was dropped in Medieval times.

How many people call it Rochdull though?!
Rochedale on 13:06 - Feb 19 with 2409 viewsnordenblue

Rochedale on 12:54 - Feb 19 by EllDale

I always understand that the town was called Rochedale at one stage but that the middle e was dropped in Medieval times.

There's a fair few folk drop an "e" in Rochdale every week...
Rochedale on 16:37 - Feb 19 with 2201 viewsrochdale_ranger

Rochedale on 12:54 - Feb 19 by EllDale

Like milnra as oppose to milnrow. Or whit’oth as oppose to whitworth.
Login to get fewer ads

Rochedale on 20:13 - Feb 19 with 2005 viewsrochedale

Not every day you get a thread named after you, thought I’d done something wrong for a minute.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Rochedale on 20:27 - Feb 19 with 1993 viewsfinberty

Rochedale on 10:29 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

On a slight tangent, shouldn't the river in Cambridge be pronounced Came not Cam?
Rochedale on 23:07 - Feb 19 with 1889 viewsDaleiLama

Rochedale on 20:27 - Feb 19 by finberty

On a slight tangent, shouldn't the river in Cambridge be pronounced Came not Cam?

Might have to get Meg Ryan to adjudicate on that one?

Rochedale on 23:09 - Feb 19 with 1883 viewspioneer

Rochedale on 23:07 - Feb 19 by DaleiLama

Might have to get Meg Ryan to adjudicate on that one?

maybe the city should be pronounced CAMbrige

I am still struggling with the silent P in bath
Rochedale on 23:11 - Feb 19 with 1876 viewsDaleiLama

Rochedale on 23:09 - Feb 19 by pioneer

maybe the city should be pronounced CAMbrige

I am still struggling with the silent P in bath

It's your age!

Rochedale on 23:22 - Feb 19 with 1854 viewsShakerbhoy

Back in the early 1700s...Rochdale was formally known as Chit'ole
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising