Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just heard a rumour 09:39 - Mar 4 with 31800 viewsdeeplishblue

That Hilly's been sacked......

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Just heard a rumour on 13:23 - Mar 4 with 3080 viewsBobbyjoe

Just heard a rumour on 12:36 - Mar 4 by Brierls

"Any longer and we'd have most certainly been relegated"

That hasn't changed and we've just got rid of the man who's got us promoted from League Two. Twice.

Some who wanted Hill out will be looking back on his tenure with more than a tinge of sadness if/when we're struggling in League Two. They won't have the balls to admit they were wrong, they'll just call for another new manager, then another, then another.

If we stay up, or go down and then mount a serious challenge for League One next season, I'll hold my hands up and say it was the right decision. It would be unrealistic to then ask us to mount a challenge in League One.

It's like Brexit without the fcuking false promises!
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 12:38]

Doesn't follow, though, Brierls. Hill might have struggled next season as well. We'll never know. Past performance is no guarantee. Pep might be able to do it every time, but he always gets the money!

Your Brexit analogy is an interesting one. It would be fascinating to know whether Hill in/outers parallel Brexit views. Regardless of whether either is the correct decision, you have my genuine sympathy at losing your country and your manager!

(You can always change country. I know I feel like doing!).
Just heard a rumour on 13:28 - Mar 4 with 3015 viewsrochdale_ranger

Just heard a rumour on 13:23 - Mar 4 by Bobbyjoe

Doesn't follow, though, Brierls. Hill might have struggled next season as well. We'll never know. Past performance is no guarantee. Pep might be able to do it every time, but he always gets the money!

Your Brexit analogy is an interesting one. It would be fascinating to know whether Hill in/outers parallel Brexit views. Regardless of whether either is the correct decision, you have my genuine sympathy at losing your country and your manager!

(You can always change country. I know I feel like doing!).

What an embarrassing post.
Just heard a rumour on 13:34 - Mar 4 with 2936 viewsShun

Just heard a rumour on 11:02 - Mar 4 by rochdaleriddler

Need to support the club now, Hill has gone

Can’t tell if serious or not. Why didn’t you have this attitude before Hill went?
Just heard a rumour on 13:35 - Mar 4 with 2936 viewssweetcorn

Just heard a rumour on 13:34 - Mar 4 by Shun

Can’t tell if serious or not. Why didn’t you have this attitude before Hill went?

I’m not the only one who saw this i see..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Just heard a rumour on 13:40 - Mar 4 with 2876 viewsrochdale_ranger

Because we were stagnant. Hopefully a new manager will come in and rejuvenate the team. You usually see an upturn in results when you get a new face in. Our next games are massive games but winnable ones. Change was needed, you cant tell me you have enjoyed this season or last season no matter how gutting it is that we have had to get rid of Hill under such circumstances.
Just heard a rumour on 13:42 - Mar 4 with 2851 viewssweetcorn

Just heard a rumour on 13:40 - Mar 4 by rochdale_ranger

Because we were stagnant. Hopefully a new manager will come in and rejuvenate the team. You usually see an upturn in results when you get a new face in. Our next games are massive games but winnable ones. Change was needed, you cant tell me you have enjoyed this season or last season no matter how gutting it is that we have had to get rid of Hill under such circumstances.

“You usually see an upturn in results when you get a new face in”

Do you? For every manchester united there is a fulham or an ipswich. It can go either way, I don’t see things improving this season..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Just heard a rumour on 13:46 - Mar 4 with 2813 viewsrochdale_ranger

Just heard a rumour on 13:42 - Mar 4 by sweetcorn

“You usually see an upturn in results when you get a new face in”

Do you? For every manchester united there is a fulham or an ipswich. It can go either way, I don’t see things improving this season..

Of course you are right there is a flipside to every coin. I personally think we would have gone down with Hill at the helm, now dependant on who comes in and what changes are made I think we have a chance.

No disrespect to yourself or people who thought Hill earned the right to take us down and have another go at getting us up but I thought if we did go down he would take us down again.

Its football its a gamble.
Just heard a rumour on 13:48 - Mar 4 with 2791 viewsmikehunt

Just heard a rumour on 13:21 - Mar 4 by Shun

Really gutted about this. I didn’t want it at all. I feel he’d earned the right to take us down and have another go at bringing us up again.

I wonder how this will affect the players, too. For all this season’s faults, one accusation that can’t be made is that the players weren’t trying for him. Our best player (by far) is also on record for saying how much he loves working for Hill.

Sad, sad day. Farewell to a legend.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 13:33]

But Shun, you could say that Hill took us down last season. Bar that last day stroke of luck. That was the bad season he had earned. We all assumed he would have learned from that and built a team to survive, comfortably, for a couple of seasons. He hasn't been able to do it. And things seem to be spiralling out of control. A change had to come. And while it is still possible to get the wins we need to stay in this division, that decision had to be taken.
We don't know how next season might have panned out under him: a Bury, Oldham or Chesterfield. But it felt certain that we would be in Div 2.
I, with heavy heart, have to agree with his leaving.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Login to get fewer ads

Just heard a rumour on 13:56 - Mar 4 with 2713 viewsBobbyjoe

Just heard a rumour on 13:28 - Mar 4 by rochdale_ranger

What an embarrassing post.

Sorry, did I touch a nerve!
Just heard a rumour on 13:57 - Mar 4 with 2712 viewsNinco

Just heard a rumour on 13:46 - Mar 4 by rochdale_ranger

Of course you are right there is a flipside to every coin. I personally think we would have gone down with Hill at the helm, now dependant on who comes in and what changes are made I think we have a chance.

No disrespect to yourself or people who thought Hill earned the right to take us down and have another go at getting us up but I thought if we did go down he would take us down again.

Its football its a gamble.

I agree with you. I don't get these people who think that because he got us promoted before, he will get us back up again. It doesn't work like that. The clubs around you change. There are clubs in league 1 now that can spend more on one player than we spend on our entire team and we can't compete. We will never get the 6000 gates that some of the clubs get, so the budget we have now is what we are stuck with and it just isn't viable any more.

Saying that, I am not sure that any other manager could get us promoted, because they would be working with the same budget, but at least with someone else I can get back to watching enjoyable football albeit in league 2. The football Hill had them playing was often awful to watch. Different team each week, players out of position, players dropped when they are playing well, ball being hoofed to anyone. Glad those days are over and looking forward to good entertaining passing football with players enjoying their game and fans enjoying watching it without being moaned at by the manager or blamed for defeats. If that has to be in league 2, then so be it.
Just heard a rumour on 13:59 - Mar 4 with 2688 viewsScunnydale

Just heard a rumour on 13:48 - Mar 4 by mikehunt

But Shun, you could say that Hill took us down last season. Bar that last day stroke of luck. That was the bad season he had earned. We all assumed he would have learned from that and built a team to survive, comfortably, for a couple of seasons. He hasn't been able to do it. And things seem to be spiralling out of control. A change had to come. And while it is still possible to get the wins we need to stay in this division, that decision had to be taken.
We don't know how next season might have panned out under him: a Bury, Oldham or Chesterfield. But it felt certain that we would be in Div 2.
I, with heavy heart, have to agree with his leaving.

Last year was a freak. Yes, he'd presided over us as we sank to the bottom of the table and stayed there for a long time, looking completely doomed. However, we seemed to lose by the odd goal in most games and, with games in hand, we looked to be in a false position. We were playing decent enough football (by and large) but not having the rub of the green.

Hill then changed the team and got us winning games, gaining enough points to take it down to the last game of the season. Yes, it was tense, nerve-wracking and fantastic, but I wouldn't say that was luck.

I should point out that I've been a long-time resident of the Hill In camp and I've never wanted him to be sacked. However, it's been no huge surprise to me that it's come to this.

Do I think that, should we be relegated this season, Hill would have been the best man to get us back up? Quite probably.
Do I think anyone else on the early odds list can rescue us or get us back up next season? Possibly.
Do I think it was the right decision to sack him? Regrettably so.
Do I think that Hill is our best-ever manager and will I always remember him with huge fondness? Abso-bloody-lutely.

(grammar edit)
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 14:00]
Just heard a rumour on 14:00 - Mar 4 with 2670 viewsCleedale

Not sure what to add to all the above...except...

It's sure going to be an interesting run-in for the remaining games AND
if we see a positive reaction from players...

...well, that would answer one hell of a lot of debate that's been on here for many a moon.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 14:01]
Just heard a rumour on 14:06 - Mar 4 with 2617 viewsDale_1993

Genuinely gutted. Can see the reasons for the sackings but would have leaned more to giving him a chance next season.

Felt he'd earned the right to have a go at League 2 next season (should we have got relegated). If I had to choose a manager I'd want in charge of Rochdale in Lg2 then I'd want Keith Hill. He's done it twice before and may have been able to assemble a squad in summer to do that. It's a lot harder assembling a squad for league one when you've struggled the season prior, but would be easier if successfully promoted in lg2.

One of Hill's downfalls appears to be his stubbornness, ego and untouchable attitude. If this sacking alters his character then I would happily welcome him back again. We could get the older Keith that was so successful the first couple of times.
Just heard a rumour on 14:10 - Mar 4 with 2582 viewsrochdaleriddler

I did, imho Hill needed to go for the good of the club. I’m actually looking forward to going on Saturday now. Not felt like that for ages.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Just heard a rumour on 14:13 - Mar 4 with 2548 viewsFrog

A sad, but understandable decision, 4 out of his 6 years were a real thrill but he seems to have lost his way unfortunately. Recent tactics and team selections have been baffling at times and I think it's the right time for a change.

Good luck Keith and thank you for the past.
Just heard a rumour on 14:29 - Mar 4 with 2439 viewselectricblue

Perhaps his time away from a club will do him the world of good and somewhere down the line a different club will benefit from the keith hill that was in a successful period..

My brother seems to think hill may end up at salford in the summer.....
Who knows..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Just heard a rumour on 14:45 - Mar 4 with 2337 viewsBrierls

Just heard a rumour on 13:56 - Mar 4 by Bobbyjoe

I'm not sure, but you may have got an unwitting answer to your question!
Just heard a rumour on 14:50 - Mar 4 with 2301 viewsSandyDrum

Interestingly (or maybe not) - not a mention of this on the Bury messageboard.
Minimal discussion on the Oldham one too...

Can't help but feel if the boot was on the other foot we would be having a field day on here.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Just heard a rumour on 15:05 - Mar 4 with 2213 viewsAncoats_Blue

Just heard a rumour on 14:50 - Mar 4 by SandyDrum

Can't help but feel if the boot was on the other foot we would be having a field day on here.

That’s because Dale fans our obsessed with our neighbours and your checking on Gigg Lane and OWTB proves this ;).
Just heard a rumour on 15:05 - Mar 4 with 2212 viewsrochdale_ranger

Just heard a rumour on 13:56 - Mar 4 by Bobbyjoe

Im neither a mad brexiteer or mad remainer I just found it a bit cringe that you would like to leave the country over the issue.
Just heard a rumour on 15:14 - Mar 4 with 2134 viewsTVOS1907

It's on the bury board. They have a separate football board and there's a very long thread on managers being sacked. It's been added on there with the usual hilarious quips.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just heard a rumour on 15:21 - Mar 4 with 2089 viewsBrierls

It's interesting that your reaction to us sacking our best ever manager was to go looking on the messageboards of rival clubs.

Seeing as you brought up the subject of the boot being on the other foot...even though we take the piss out of bury and Oldham fans (and vice versa), I expect their reaction will be something along the lines of "you've done what?!". If you haven't see us week in week out then you won't have seen the decline (I'm very much a Hill fan, but there has been a decline), but you will be able to see that 'success' has been achieved more than 'failure' under Hill. From the outside I think it will look like a bonkers decision. From the inside I still don't agree with it even though the results suggest otherwise.

I was disappointed when bury sacked Clark, but only because he's a dreadful manager who wasn't going to bring them success. I doubt bury or Oldham fans are going to be disappointed we've sacked Hill.
Just heard a rumour on 15:32 - Mar 4 with 2000 viewskel

The mong board had quite a few threads on it but their software allows them to merge all the separate threads into one so as to appear they are not obsessed. For a set of fans that claim not to care about Rochdale, some of them even posted about it before the official announcement.
Just heard a rumour on 15:33 - Mar 4 with 1992 viewsSandyDrum

Just heard a rumour on 15:21 - Mar 4 by Brierls

It's interesting that your reaction to us sacking our best ever manager was to go looking on the messageboards of rival clubs.

Seeing as you brought up the subject of the boot being on the other foot...even though we take the piss out of bury and Oldham fans (and vice versa), I expect their reaction will be something along the lines of "you've done what?!". If you haven't see us week in week out then you won't have seen the decline (I'm very much a Hill fan, but there has been a decline), but you will be able to see that 'success' has been achieved more than 'failure' under Hill. From the outside I think it will look like a bonkers decision. From the inside I still don't agree with it even though the results suggest otherwise.

I was disappointed when bury sacked Clark, but only because he's a dreadful manager who wasn't going to bring them success. I doubt bury or Oldham fans are going to be disappointed we've sacked Hill.

To be fair, it's a slow day at work and I enjoy reading their forums a couple of times a week to get an alternative view on football.

It wasn't just a 'let's go and see what they've said' thing, I just generally go on there and a few other messageboards during the week.

I completely agree with what you've said there.

An account on Twitter was posting his record as Dale manager (which is still more wins than losses) and it made it look like we were nuts for sacking him - but I then posted our league record since the start of the 2017/18 season in reply and it puts into perspective that maybe Hill had simply taken us as far as he could.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Just heard a rumour on 15:43 - Mar 4 with 1901 viewsBobbyjoe

Just heard a rumour on 15:21 - Mar 4 by Brierls

From the outside looking in, manager sackings always look daft, at best. Chris Sutton, whose perspective on football I enjoy hugely, insofar as he could care less about Rochdale, would, I imagine, go apoplectic along the lines of, "What the hell do Rochdale fans expect..."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024