Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 20:49 - Mar 26 with 4347 viewsSuddenLad

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/march/ted-burgin/?fbclid=IwAR3JGkgJyLo9b

Great Dale keeper. Was in the first Dale team I ever saw play. RIP Ted.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 21:02 - Mar 26 with 3307 viewsBigKindo

Having arrived at Dale didn't he keep something like 11 consecutive clean sheets which resulted in the nickname of 'Virgin Burgin.'
RIP
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 21:04 - Mar 26 with 3306 viewshammerdale

Saw his first game for Dale against Peterborough United in January 1961, Dale were leading 1-0 when fog decended and the match was abandoned.Ted gave great service to Rochdale.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 21:35 - Mar 26 with 3229 viewsTVOS1907

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 21:02 - Mar 26 by BigKindo

Having arrived at Dale didn't he keep something like 11 consecutive clean sheets which resulted in the nickname of 'Virgin Burgin.'
RIP

Not according to the records; we lost 4-1 at Palace in his fourth game!

He had kept clean sheets in the three games before that, however.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 22:10 - Mar 26 with 3175 viewsmingthemerciless

The first goalkeeper I ever saw playing for the " Dale. He'd been a top player in his heyday, the non travelling stand by goalkeeper for the 1954 England World Cup team.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 22:10 - Mar 26 with 3175 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Lucky to have met Ted about 30 years back. Lovely chap who helped a few training sessions at St. Mary’s Juniors.

Certainly put our keeper through his paces!!
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 22:21 - Mar 26 with 3150 viewsD_Alien

Have vague memories of attending his testimonial game

Revered by all at Dale, RIP

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 22:27 - Mar 26 with 3140 viewsTVOS1907

Richard Wild interviewed Ted for the Rochdale v Norwich TVOS in August 2007, which I've reproduced below, for anyone who's interested:

It was a mild summer’s evening in Blackpool when the latest Rochdale Legend to be the subject of ‘The Big Interview’ was about to receive an unexpected knock on his door. Tonight The Voice of Spotland brings you the fascinating story of Ted Burgin…

In life you seldom have the privilege of meeting people who genuinely inspire you. In my case I was lucky enough to meet such a person last week when at 8pm on a Monday evening, I had the joyous task of knocking on the door of 80-year old former Rochdale goalkeeper Ted Burgin. Without an appointment or even knowledge I would be calling, I would go on to have the honour of spending the next 90 minutes in his company and it is something that will live with me for a long time.

As I walked up his garden path I first of all began to wonder just what a retired gentleman enjoying the setting sun by the seaside in Blackpool would make of a stranger knocking on his door asking to interview him for a matchday magazine at Rochdale! It had been over 40 years since Burgin had played at Spotland and to my knowledge nobody had spoken to him since then about his time as a Dale player.

After a few minutes deliberating, I decided bravery was the better part of valour and I knocked confidently on his front door with my well-rehearsed speech running through my mind. After a couple of knocks a bedroom window opened and an inquisitive lady enquired as to why I was knocking on her door. I must have come across reasonably well and not mumbled too much because a few minutes later a certain Ted Burgin appeared at the front door and invited me in.

My first impression was how remarkably well he looked. Dressed in a tracksuit, albeit one with an Everton badge on I have to report, I passed comment on his appearance and it soon transpired he’d been in his converted gym in the loft and had cut short a work out to talk to me.

“I spend as much time up there as I can,” he explained. “I like to keep fit and I’ve got a good array of machines up there that help.” A quick visit to the loft later in the evening confirmed that weights and aerobic equipment did exist and a demonstration of every piece of apparatus confirmed they were all in full working order.

After sitting down in the kitchen I began my line of questions. Although I’d never had the privilege of seeing Burgin in action - he played 246 times between 1960 and 1965 and was arguably the best goalkeeper to ever play for the club - I began by asking about the League Cup Final of 1962. Burgin had played in every game in that cup run and with Norwich being tonight’s visitors, it was a fitting place to start.

“I just remember making a mistake for their first goal that allowed Bill Punton to score,” Ted reminisced. “It was a pig of a night with water covering the pitch, but I somehow misjudged a through ball and literally glided all the way outside my area. It virtually left Punton with an open goal and although the conditions were bad, it was a mistake I shouldn’t have made.

“We eventually lost the game 3-0 and in truth we were never in it. We did, however, miss a host of chances in the return leg at Carrow Road and we could easily have been back on level terms had we scored them. Of course we didn’t and we lost 4-0 on aggregate, but we’d played every game during that run with a smile on our faces and this is something I’ll always remember.”

As he continued to talk my eyes were obviously drawn to his rather distorted fingers. On both his hands his little finger bent at what I considered right angles, but fortunately for me he was quick to explain the reasoning.

“When we played the grounds would often be frozen solid. I can remember playing on surfaces that were rutted and when you dived on them your first point of contact with the ground would always be my little finger.”

He explained in such detail, virtually diving to his left and right with hands out-stretched, that I could almost imagine him in his playing days and I shuddered to think of the pain those fingers took in his illustrious career.

“I’ve had many an operation on them, but I suppose I’ve just got used to them now,” he added.

The conversation moved on to his arrival at Spotland in 1961. It was Tony Collins who persuaded the former England ‘B’ International to move from the might of Leeds United and I was relieved to hear it wouldn’t prove a decision he’d regret.

“I’d fallen out of love with football at the time. I’d been at Leeds with the likes of Jack Charlton, but it was far too much of a clique for me and not the type of dressing room I enjoyed. When I was persuaded to come to Rochdale I began to feel wanted again and I quickly settled into my new surroundings.

“I found it easier to communicate with experienced players like Stan Milburn and Doug Winton, people who could read the game, but ultimately play it in the spirit it was intended to be played. That was very important to me and along with Ray Aspden we formed a solid backline.

“To be honest I always wondered why Ray never played at a better standard because I’d played behind far worse central defenders than him earlier in my career. He was as strong as an ox and somebody else who I got on very well with.

“My first game at Spotland proved to be something of a memorable affair. We were due to play Peterborough, who were running away with the division, but as kick-off approached fans were ringing the club asking if the game was on due to fog.

“The problem was there was no fog at the ground and we kicked off as normal. After a short while a thick blanket of fog just descended on the ground and after sitting in the changing room for a while, the game was abandoned.

“I’d actually driven to Rochdale from my home in Leeds in an A35 van that day, but because of the fog I had to leave it at the ground and get the train home!”

Burgin remained a Rochdale player for the next six years; until his final season at the club, when injuries took their toll, he missed just seven games. I’m sure you’ll agree this is a remarkable achievement and of course it wasn’t one I’d let pass without asking him about.

“In the end my hands became so bad that I just knew I had to call it a day. A surgeon called Knott confirmed my suspicions after yet another operation in 1966 and in truth they weren’t the only problem I’d been having. Those hard grounds had eventually taken their toll on my body and aged 39 I retired from full-time football. I still played a bit afterwards and enjoyed, it but I retained an interest in the game and still do to this day.”

I have no doubts at all when I say that if his body had allowed Ted to, he’d have played for many more years. His enthusiasm for the game was still there for all to see and I was amazed to hear that until very recently he’d coached several times a week at local schools and even at Bloomfield Road with the professional keepers.

“I’ve decided I better stop doing so much because when I get home my legs just start to dance when I go to bed. By this I mean it’s as if they want to carry on because they’re always used to being active and it’s the same after I’ve been out on the bike.

“To be honest it’s become a bit of a problem for me so I’ve cut right back and am now focusing on teaching my grandchild. He’s due to come to see me next week and we’ve got to put into practise what I’ve been telling him on the phone recently. He seems really keen to learn and I hope what I’ll tell him will make him a better player.”

Ted now contends himself with mowing all the gardens of his neighbours after the service he received wasn’t up to standard!

“I thought after they’d been that I could do better myself, so I did!” Hardly surprising I’m sure you’ll agree.

After a tour around his house and the discovery of various fit balls and other modes of exercise, I had to remind myself Ted had turned 80 in April. His appearance and demeanour belied somebody of his age and I couldn’t feel anything other than inspired being in his presence. Add to that the fact he played over 200 times for my club and had appeared in arguably the biggest game in our history only served to heighten my warmth for the man.

It was an honour to have conducted this interview.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 22:27 - Mar 26 with 3138 viewsDiddyDave

Great servant for Dale,think we got him from Sheff Utd. After he retire worked for Rochdale Council on Entwistle Road at the Refuse place next to the Baths.
I recall that he was unbeaten going to the match at Crystal Palace and remember the result coming through on Grandstand with great anticipation if he could do it again. Sadly not!
Login to get fewer ads

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 07:50 - Mar 27 with 2969 viewsEllDale

The first keeper that I remember at Spotland abd a class act .
Always came across as a lovely bloke as well, would always sign autographs and chat.
That was an era when fans could relate to players better.
Similarly, I always remember having a spell working alongside Stan Milburn and then with Walter Birch at Newgate House and talking to Colin Parry on the bus from Ashton!

RIP
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 08:11 - Mar 27 with 2940 viewskiwidale

Ted Burgin was a class keeper in the first Dale team that I considered a very good team circa around 1960 onwards but what would I know I was only about 11yrs it contained the like of Stan Milburn Doug Wragg Ray Aspen Colin Whittaker Jim Thompson and many others. Ted stayed in the town and worked for the council, he played amateur football well into his 50's in the Rochdale amateur league for a team I cant remember he played purely for the love of the game. RIP Ted you were a good'un.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 8:13]

This is not the time for bickering.

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 08:34 - Mar 27 with 2913 viewsmingthemerciless

That's a lovely interview. He was right about Ray Aspden, I always thought he could have played at a higher level. Paul Butler was a bit like him in style. Much as I liked Ted I think Les Green was the best keeper I've seen at Spotland.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 09:10 - Mar 27 with 2881 viewsEllDale

There have been plenty of good keepers at Spotland over the years.
My dad used to say cynically that this was because they always had plenty of practice!
Ted Burgin, Les Green, Chris Harker, Tony Godfrey, Mike Poole, Keith Welch, Ian Gray, Neil Edwards to name but several.
Green was brilliant even though he was only around 5 feet 8 inches tall.
His sale to Derby kept the club afloat and helped Bob Stokoe build a promotion team.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 09:30 - Mar 27 with 2864 viewskiwidale

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 08:34 - Mar 27 by mingthemerciless

That's a lovely interview. He was right about Ray Aspden, I always thought he could have played at a higher level. Paul Butler was a bit like him in style. Much as I liked Ted I think Les Green was the best keeper I've seen at Spotland.

Les green's reputation as a top keeper which he undoubtedly was is founded in his subsequent move to Derby county however his career at Dale was short just one season being an ever present in 1968. Ted Burgin was a fixture in the Rochdale side for several seasons and worthy of legend status. I'm not saying Ted Burgin was better than Les Green but compare their respective careers overall and Burgin's was far longer at an higher level
than Green's. Its just my opinion of course and my memory is clouded however the stats suggest that Burgin was the better keeper. Agreed lovely interview.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 9:32]

This is not the time for bickering.

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 10:14 - Mar 27 with 2822 viewsmingthemerciless

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 09:30 - Mar 27 by kiwidale

Les green's reputation as a top keeper which he undoubtedly was is founded in his subsequent move to Derby county however his career at Dale was short just one season being an ever present in 1968. Ted Burgin was a fixture in the Rochdale side for several seasons and worthy of legend status. I'm not saying Ted Burgin was better than Les Green but compare their respective careers overall and Burgin's was far longer at an higher level
than Green's. Its just my opinion of course and my memory is clouded however the stats suggest that Burgin was the better keeper. Agreed lovely interview.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 9:32]

I can only go off what I saw with my own eyes. In the season that Green was at Spotland he pulled off some amazing saves playing in a very average team. If we were picking my all time Dale team he'd be the goalkeeper. No disrespect to Ted who gave the club many years of good service.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 10:54 - Mar 27 with 2789 viewsD_Alien

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 22:21 - Mar 26 by D_Alien

Have vague memories of attending his testimonial game

Revered by all at Dale, RIP

After reading the TVOS interview, realised it must've been Stan Milburn's testimonial

Just remember my older brother raving about Ted Burgin during the game

Can anyone remember, was it against a Leeds Utd XI?

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 12:22 - Mar 27 with 2735 viewsmingthemerciless

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 10:54 - Mar 27 by D_Alien

After reading the TVOS interview, realised it must've been Stan Milburn's testimonial

Yep, I remember it well. It was on a lovely sunny evening so it must have been late in the season. Quite a few famous old players turned out for Stan. I don't think it was against Leeds, it was a sort of an " International 11 ".

A couple of months later I was walking in the warehouse at TBA and who should be walking towards me but Stan Milburn pushing a sack truck.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 12:24]
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 12:52 - Mar 27 with 2690 viewsEllDale

You never seem to bump into former players doing "normal" jobs these days.
In addition to the ones mentioned above I remember Dennis Butler working in Bamford Post Office on War Office Road.
And I used to see Derek Ryder in the Healey Hotel when was a brewery rep.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 13:21 - Mar 27 with 2667 viewsBuckTheTrend

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 10:54 - Mar 27 by D_Alien

Ted Burgin's testimonial was on 2nd May 1966 vs Leeds United.
The 4-page programme is quite valuable today.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 13:23 - Mar 27 with 2655 viewsD_Alien

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 13:21 - Mar 27 by BuckTheTrend

Ted Burgin's testimonial was on 2nd May 1966 vs Leeds United.
The 4-page programme is quite valuable today.

Ah, thanks for that - perhaps it was Ted's testimonial i was at then. Very young at the time

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 15:31 - Mar 27 with 2554 viewsArthurDaley

I think it was Ted who ended Brian Clough's career. Both going for a ball and somehow Clough ended up with a broken leg.
RIP Ted.

A large VAT Dave

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 15:48 - Mar 27 with 2542 viewssince58

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 08:11 - Mar 27 by kiwidale

Ted Burgin was a class keeper in the first Dale team that I considered a very good team circa around 1960 onwards but what would I know I was only about 11yrs it contained the like of Stan Milburn Doug Wragg Ray Aspen Colin Whittaker Jim Thompson and many others. Ted stayed in the town and worked for the council, he played amateur football well into his 50's in the Rochdale amateur league for a team I cant remember he played purely for the love of the game. RIP Ted you were a good'un.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 8:13]

I Think Ted played for cleansing. Not sure but I think he had the ship Inn at Slattocks
for a while.
R.I.P. TED.
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 16:12 - Mar 27 with 2518 viewsSuddenLad

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 15:31 - Mar 27 by ArthurDaley

I think it was Ted who ended Brian Clough's career. Both going for a ball and somehow Clough ended up with a broken leg.
RIP Ted.

That was Chris Harker at Bury. Clough broke his leg in a clash and that finished him.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 16:27 - Mar 27 with 2497 viewsEllDale

Being mischievous I wonder if Ted Burgin ever told Stan Milburn that he wasn't happy about cliques at Leeds which included a certain Jack Charlton!?
Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 18:20 - Mar 27 with 2439 viewsArthurDaley

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 16:12 - Mar 27 by SuddenLad

That was Chris Harker at Bury. Clough broke his leg in a clash and that finished him.

Opps, quite right SL, the 70 year old brain isn't what it was.

A large VAT Dave

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 18:22 - Mar 27 with 2436 viewshammerdale

Ted Burgin dies aged 91 on 22:10 - Mar 26 by mingthemerciless

The first goalkeeper I ever saw playing for the " Dale. He'd been a top player in his heyday, the non travelling stand by goalkeeper for the 1954 England World Cup team.

Ted actually travelled to Switzerland as reserve keeper
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024