Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Someone better at maths than me 19:38 - Apr 22 with 11946 viewsCockneyDale

With a couple of the teams below us due to play each other still, I have a feeling that it may be already impossible for seven teams to pass us and that we are actually already mathematically safe. Can anyone work it out?!
Someone better at maths than me on 16:52 - Apr 23 with 3800 viewsfermin

Someone better at maths than me on 14:34 - Apr 23 by dingdangblue

Southend are at home to Sunderland on the last day. Sunderland may be unable to get automatic by then and could rest players for the play offs. The best thing we can do is beat Southend on Saturday and its all over. We could lose on Saturday and might not need a point at Charlton. Just praying things go our way and we dont need a point at Charlton. Its certainly more in our hands than last season! Wimbledon and Accrington both losing tonight would be helpful.

As a natural pessimist I am with NorthYorksDale! However, we just need to avoid defeat against Southend to be safe.
Someone better at maths than me on 17:29 - Apr 23 with 3701 viewsdingdangblue

For anyone interested, Luton v Wimbledon live commentary is on Talksport 2 tonight.

https://talksport.com/radioplayer/live/talksport2.html

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Someone better at maths than me on 19:47 - Apr 23 with 3509 viewsgeraldo

Someone better at maths than me on 16:52 - Apr 23 by fermin

As a natural pessimist I am with NorthYorksDale! However, we just need to avoid defeat against Southend to be safe.

If we avoid defeat on Saturday we will be safe as Southend will then not be able to catch us with the last match to come
Someone better at maths than me on 20:18 - Apr 23 with 3421 viewsD_Alien

Someone better at maths than me on 19:47 - Apr 23 by geraldo

If we avoid defeat on Saturday we will be safe as Southend will then not be able to catch us with the last match to come

It's precisely the same scenario as 50 years ago, and great that some of those lads will be there to see it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Someone better at maths than me on 20:21 - Apr 23 with 3406 viewssykeboy

Someone better at maths than me on 19:49 - Apr 22 by SaxonDale

Shows the optimistic/ pessimistic amongst us! I still think 250/1 is great odds for us to go down, certainly haven’t cracked open any celebratory beers just yet.

Now 150/1 😳
Someone better at maths than me on 20:43 - Apr 23 with 3333 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Someone better at maths than me on 20:21 - Apr 23 by sykeboy

Now 150/1 😳

That will be due to judds fiver 😂😂😂

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Someone better at maths than me on 20:45 - Apr 23 with 3317 viewsjudd

Someone better at maths than me on 20:43 - Apr 23 by Thacks_Rabbits

That will be due to judds fiver 😂😂😂

I've not backed it but a Bristol Rovers supporting colleague has put a tenner on his team going down at 250/1

Poll: What is it to be then?

Someone better at maths than me on 21:48 - Apr 23 with 3155 viewsSheffdale

Late late show for AFC Wimbledon 2-2 now. Sorry - Missed the match night thread too!
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 21:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Someone better at maths than me on 22:13 - Apr 23 with 3063 viewsjonahwhereru

I readily admit to having a nervous disposition, and tonight’s results have not helped. Yep I know it’s in our hands, but I will gladly take any help we can get.
Bradford and achy both to win on Saturday PLEASE!!!
Someone better at maths than me on 22:19 - Apr 23 with 3021 viewsBlueDales

From what I can work out, if Wimbledon don't beat Wycombe on Saturday then we are safe whatever happens at Spotland (given the points mathematics of Plymouth and Scunthorpe still having each other to play). A point on Saturday and we are safe, anyway.
Someone better at maths than me on 22:33 - Apr 23 with 2967 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Someone better at maths than me on 22:19 - Apr 23 by BlueDales

From what I can work out, if Wimbledon don't beat Wycombe on Saturday then we are safe whatever happens at Spotland (given the points mathematics of Plymouth and Scunthorpe still having each other to play). A point on Saturday and we are safe, anyway.

We will be ok. Please all stop worrying.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Someone better at maths than me on 11:35 - Apr 24 with 2718 viewsMundell

New to the site, but an exile who has followed Dale from afar for many decades.

Anyway, last season's last match of the season excitement was almost too much for me. For this reason I've been hoping to relax and enjoy this season's final curtain against Charlton free from the pressure of needing something from the game to stay up. The question is, how likely is that? At the risk of repeating some of what has already been said in this thread, I thought I'd share the status as I see it.

As others have said, if Dale draw with Southend on Saturday (or win obviously) we are SAFE. At a minimum we'd finish above Bradford City, Walsall, either Plymouth or Scunthorpe (if not both) and Southend.

However, if we lose to Southend life could become a lot more complicated. In this scenario only a win at Charlton would ensure mathematical safety, i.e. regardless of what happens elsewhere. Given that Charlton haven't lost at home since October 6th another last day of the season triumph against the Addicks is fairly unlikely though, unfortunately.

Here's how it all fits together. If we lose to both Southend and Charlton we still only go down IF EACH of the following happens;

Wimbledon win both remaining games, against Wycombe (H) and Bradford (A).
AND Southend draw (or better) at home against Sunderland on the final day of the season.
AND Wycombe, having lost to Wimbledon, draw (or better) v Fleetwood (H) on the final day of the season.
AND Shrewsbury take one point (or more) from Coventry (A) and Walsall (H).
AND Bristol Rovers take one point (or more) from Fleetwood (A) and Barnsley (H).
AND Either Scunthorpe win both games, against Bradford (H) and Plymouth (A), OR, Plymouth take four (or more) points from Accrington (A) and Scunthorpe (H).

If any of these six things doesn't happen, we are SAFE.

If Dale lose to Southend, but then draw at Charlton, then the club would be relegated if EACH of the following happens;

Wimbledon win both remaining games.
AND Southend beat Sunderland.
AND Wycombe beat Fleetwood.
AND Shrewsbury take two points (or more) from their remaining games.
AND Bristol Rovers take two points (or more) from their remaining games.
AND Either Scunthorpe or Plymouth win both of their remaining games.

Individually, each of these outcomes looks entirely plausible. Fortunately, the odds fall sharply when we look at the likelihood of them all happening together and that's why we're 100-1, or wider, to go down. However, a defeat against Southend on Saturday may well nevertheless set up a very tense final day.

If we do lose to Southend then we'll only be safe going into the final day if one of the following happens;

EITHER Wimbledon fail to beat Wycombe (H) OR Scunthorpe fail to win AND Plymouth lose.

Hope that all makes sense. A draw (or better) against Southend is what the Doctor has ordered!!

PS Edit Should have added that in the event Dale lose at home to Southend, but then draw at Charlton, there is a further possibility that would ensure survival. Accrington would also then need an additional point to finish above us. This would need to come either from their home match v Plymouth (preventing Plymouth winning both of their matches) or from their final game away at Portsmouth.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2019 13:19]
Someone better at maths than me on 11:44 - Apr 24 with 2690 viewsjonesy

Blimey! Well done. Like you say a draw (or better) on Saturday is what is required.
Someone better at maths than me on 11:50 - Apr 24 with 2683 viewsDorsetDale

Someone better at maths than me on 11:35 - Apr 24 by Mundell

Anyway, last season's last match of the season excitement was almost too much for me. For this reason I've been hoping to relax and enjoy this season's final curtain against Charlton free from the pressure of needing something from the game to stay up. The question is, how likely is that? At the risk of repeating some of what has already been said in this thread, I thought I'd share the status as I see it.

As others have said, if Dale draw with Southend on Saturday (or win obviously) we are SAFE. At a minimum we'd finish above Bradford City, Walsall, either Plymouth or Scunthorpe (if not both) and Southend.

However, if we lose to Southend life could become a lot more complicated. In this scenario only a win at Charlton would ensure mathematical safety, i.e. regardless of what happens elsewhere. Given that Charlton haven't lost at home since October 6th another last day of the season triumph against the Addicks is fairly unlikely though, unfortunately.

Here's how it all fits together. If we lose to both Southend and Charlton we still only go down IF EACH of the following happens;

AND Southend draw (or better) at home against Sunderland on the final day of the season.
AND Wycombe, having lost to Wimbledon, draw (or better) v Fleetwood (H) on the final day of the season.
AND Bristol Rovers take one point (or more) from Fleetwood (A) and Barnsley (H).
AND Either Scunthorpe win both games, against Bradford (H) and Plymouth (A), OR, Plymouth take four (or more) points from Accrington (A) and Scunthorpe (H).

If Dale lose to Southend, but then draw at Charlton, then the club would be relegated if EACH of the following happens;

Individually, each of these outcomes looks entirely plausible. Fortunately, the odds fall sharply when we look at the likelihood of them all happening together and that's why we're 100-1, or wider, to go down. However, a defeat against Southend on Saturday may well nevertheless set up a very tense final day.

If we do lose to Southend then we'll only be safe going into the final day if one of the following happens;

EITHER Wimbledon fail to beat Wycombe (H) OR Scunthorpe fail to win AND Plymouth lose.

Hope that all makes sense. A draw (or better) against Southend is what the Doctor has ordered!!

PS Edit Should have added that in the event Dale lose at home to Southend, but then draw at Charlton, there is a further possibility that would ensure survival. Accrington would also then need an additional point to finish above us. This would need to come either from their home match v Plymouth (preventing Plymouth winning both of their matches) or from their final game away at Portsmouth.

Welcome to the board Mundell. Hope the headache garnered from working that lot out is now only a memory.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Someone better at maths than me on 12:10 - Apr 24 with 2633 viewsdingdangblue

I cant imagine with Dale involved it will be plain sailing! We are used to end of season drama's now but it never gets any easier. All those scenarios look unlikely but then I remember when we went to Torquay hoping to get promoted I'm sure it could only happen if 4 or 5 other results went our way and they all did - unfortunately we got mullered 5-0. The one result I can see happening is Wycombe getting something at Wimbledon - especially when you have the added story of Akinfenwa up against his old team who he helped get promotion into league 1.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Someone better at maths than me on 12:23 - Apr 24 with 2608 viewsShun

Kinell! Impressive work, Mundell!
Someone better at maths than me on 15:04 - Apr 24 with 2403 viewsDaleiLama

As you have shown an impressive aptitude towards finding a way through intractable problems with complex outcomes Mundell, why don't you get Mrs May on the blower and offer to go and negotiate Brexit for us now? You're on a roll.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2019 15:04]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Someone better at maths than me on 15:18 - Apr 24 with 2359 viewsjudd

Someone better at maths than me on 15:04 - Apr 24 by DaleiLama

As you have shown an impressive aptitude towards finding a way through intractable problems with complex outcomes Mundell, why don't you get Mrs May on the blower and offer to go and negotiate Brexit for us now? You're on a roll.

...or at least explain the offside rule to her...

(Ducks)

Poll: What is it to be then?

Someone better at maths than me on 15:20 - Apr 24 with 2357 viewsTVOS1907

Someone better at maths than me on 15:04 - Apr 24 by DaleiLama

I thought it was Southend who were on a roll...

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Someone better at maths than me on 15:28 - Apr 24 with 2335 viewsDaleiLama

Someone better at maths than me on 15:20 - Apr 24 by TVOS1907

I thought it was Southend who were on a roll...

And the Arctic Monkeys?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Someone better at maths than me on 16:38 - Apr 24 with 2184 viewsaleanddale

Someone better at maths than me on 16:38 - Apr 24 with 2180 viewsD_Dale

So there's no scenario in which goal difference might be a factor?

I'll bet you're good at Cluedo, Mundell.
Someone better at maths than me on 17:51 - Apr 24 with 2020 viewsdingdangblue

Someone better at maths than me on 16:38 - Apr 24 by D_Dale

So there's no scenario in which goal difference might be a factor?

I'll bet you're good at Cluedo, Mundell.

Yes goal difference is a factor in some of his scenarios. It sends us down.

Someone better at maths than me on 19:28 - Apr 24 with 1883 viewsrobbowood

If we lose both games

If Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Gillingham, Southend, Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury all win both their remaining games and Wycombe beats Fleetwood and Accrington beats Portsmouth (and also say Walsall beats Peterborough not thta it matters)

andd you'ld get massive odds for all the above to happen but if it did the table will read

14 Bristol Rovers 46 +0 56
15 Shrewsbury 46 -6 56
16 Accrington Stanley 46 -20 54
17 Southend 46 -10 53
18 Wycombe 46 -12 53
19 AFC Wimbledon 46 -20 52
20 Scunthorpe 46 -25 52
21 Rochdale 46 -32 51
22 Plymouth 46 -20 50
23 Walsall 46 -24 46
24 Bradford 46 -32 37

Even if we got a point at Charlton we would be on 52 points and go down on goal difference

So a draw against Southend would keep us up as the bottom five would then be

20 Rochdale 46 -31 52
21 Southend 46 -11 51
22 Plymouth 46 -20 50
23 Walsall 46 -24 46
24 Bradford 46 -32 37
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024