Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jamie also in trouble 16:17 - May 21 with 4615 viewsaleanddale

I ate here once and thought it was VERY over rated.

Administrators to Jamie Oliver's restaurant chain say 22 sites have closed resulting in 1,000 redundancies after the business collapsed.

KPMG said attempts to bring fresh investment into the business - at a time of rising costs and fragile consumer confidence - had failed.

The business was left without enough cash to trade while in administration, meaning that all but three of its 25 eateries have closed.
Jamie also in trouble on 16:24 - May 21 with 3683 viewsEllDale

I eat out fairly regularly in Leeds and Jamie's restaurant there on Park Row was overpriced in a very overcrowded market.
We never got past standing in the doorway squinting at the menu.
It never seemed to more than half full at the best of times so I'm not surprised to be honest.
In comparison Gino de Campo's place across the road always seemed to be rammed.
Jamie also in trouble on 16:49 - May 21 with 3626 viewsDaleFan7

Only ever been once, to the one in Leeds. Massively overpriced for what you get and the quality is no better than anywhere else of similar cuisine, no surprise it has struggled to be honest.
Jamie also in trouble on 19:00 - May 21 with 3431 viewsDalenet

There is a challenge when a famous chef takes the thing that he cares about and turns it into a chain where the personality evaporates. He left the chain to be run by management and it turned into a soulless restaurant struggling to compete. Over priced and no better than any other Italian. Carluccio's did the same.

He has lost a fortune. He ploughed £13m from his own money last year to try and save it after closing 13 sites. And another £4m was pumped in at the start of this year. But still it goes bust. Will he learn a lesson? I hope so because 1000 have lost their jobs tonight
Jamie also in trouble on 19:30 - May 21 with 3357 viewsoff2div1

Would sooner go to Willbutts lane chippy.
Jamie also in trouble on 21:07 - May 21 with 3194 viewsBigDaveMyCock

British Steel going the same way and they’re (not me, the BBC, the Guardian, the Independent or the liberal elite but people actually in charge of British steel) placing a fare bit of blame on Brexit. Estimated 25,000 job losses if you take into account periphery industries/businesses reliant on steel production.
Cue idiots telling us how people in charge of British Steel are talking sh1t because they know better.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 5:47]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Jamie also in trouble on 21:17 - May 21 with 3171 viewsTVOS1907

There's currently a thread on Jamie Oliver's messageboard with comments about how Fail fans are obsessed with his restaurants going down the pan.

One poster has even started cutting, pasting and boldening these comments.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Jamie also in trouble on 22:41 - May 21 with 3074 viewsrochdale_ranger

Jamie also in trouble on 21:07 - May 21 by BigDaveMyCock

British Steel going the same way and they’re (not me, the BBC, the Guardian, the Independent or the liberal elite but people actually in charge of British steel) placing a fare bit of blame on Brexit. Estimated 25,000 job losses if you take into account periphery industries/businesses reliant on steel production.
Cue idiots telling us how people in charge of British Steel are talking sh1t because they know better.

Know*
Jamie also in trouble on 23:25 - May 21 with 2993 viewskel

Jamie also in trouble on 21:17 - May 21 by TVOS1907

There's currently a thread on Jamie Oliver's messageboard with comments about how Fail fans are obsessed with his restaurants going down the pan.

One poster has even started cutting, pasting and boldening these comments.

Can he read properly and understand what a question is?
Login to get fewer ads

Jamie also in trouble on 05:48 - May 22 with 2861 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Jamie also in trouble on 22:41 - May 21 by rochdale_ranger

Know*

Thanks, written in a rush.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 5:52]

Jamie also in trouble on 06:26 - May 22 with 2837 viewsisitme

Jamie also in trouble on 21:07 - May 21 by BigDaveMyCock

British Steel is an interesting one and this article (I am sure there will be other from across the political spectrum) outlines some interesting points:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2019/may/21/who-are

This part really stood out:

A fortnight ago the government agreed a £120m loan to cover British Steel’s cost of buying carbon credits under an EU-scheme to limit emissions.

Now whether you agree with environmental taxes or not. The imposition of them puts British Steel at a significant disadvantage compared to Chinese produced steel. This issue also applied when Tata Steel in Wales was faced with significant job losses a couple of years ago.

I also read that in the past two years China has produced more steel than has ever been made in the UK.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 7:22]
Jamie also in trouble on 08:11 - May 22 with 2739 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Jamie also in trouble on 06:26 - May 22 by isitme

British Steel is an interesting one and this article (I am sure there will be other from across the political spectrum) outlines some interesting points:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2019/may/21/who-are

This part really stood out:

A fortnight ago the government agreed a £120m loan to cover British Steel’s cost of buying carbon credits under an EU-scheme to limit emissions.

Now whether you agree with environmental taxes or not. The imposition of them puts British Steel at a significant disadvantage compared to Chinese produced steel. This issue also applied when Tata Steel in Wales was faced with significant job losses a couple of years ago.

I also read that in the past two years China has produced more steel than has ever been made in the UK.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 7:22]

Chinese steel is subject to relatively high tariffs into the EU and beyond (US). Whilst certainly not the whole story, falling orders from within Europe and beyond amidst fear of tariffs (which will be automatic in a no deal scenario) is being cited for its current issues.

Jamie also in trouble on 11:47 - May 22 with 2595 viewsParkinsGimp

Yeah and Jaquar tried to blame Brexit , when in fact it was a global fall in demand for their Diesel cars and a fall off in trends in China for their style of motor , as well as spending a vast amount on computer programmed conveyor systems that they were told were not for them but they went ahead anyway, tehy then had to close down production whilst the new systems were changed back at a ridiculous amount of money, so nothing at all to do with Brexit
Jamie also in trouble on 16:00 - May 22 with 2426 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Jamie also in trouble on 11:47 - May 22 by ParkinsGimp

Yeah and Jaquar tried to blame Brexit , when in fact it was a global fall in demand for their Diesel cars and a fall off in trends in China for their style of motor , as well as spending a vast amount on computer programmed conveyor systems that they were told were not for them but they went ahead anyway, tehy then had to close down production whilst the new systems were changed back at a ridiculous amount of money, so nothing at all to do with Brexit

As you say gimp jaguar have been very short sighted, I was actually told this by an investment fund manager who was shorting them hugely on the markets.

They are way behind terms of ecar technology and have recently suddenly started panicking and trying to catch up, no chance!

Brexit is a convenient excuse for anyone who is struggling to blame something else for bad decisions.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Jamie also in trouble on 20:27 - May 22 with 2268 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Jamie also in trouble on 16:00 - May 22 by Thacks_Rabbits

As you say gimp jaguar have been very short sighted, I was actually told this by an investment fund manager who was shorting them hugely on the markets.

They are way behind terms of ecar technology and have recently suddenly started panicking and trying to catch up, no chance!

Brexit is a convenient excuse for anyone who is struggling to blame something else for bad decisions.

Out of interest. If the CEO of a major corporation said we’re doing well because of Brexit would you be so dismissive? I suspect you wouldn’t. Only positive opinions of Brexit are the truth?
I don’t agree with it but I can understand some of the suspicion towards criticism of Brexit from liberals, lefties and the media. But when business leaders voice criticism backed up with facts from their respective businesses then I’m surprised that their assertions are not, at the very least, given some credence. Brexit will ultimately be judged on whether it benefits a sufficient number of people. If it ends up not doing then you’ll be no doubt looking for someone to blame. It will, however, ultimately be your own inability or unwillingness to listen.

Jamie also in trouble on 20:51 - May 22 with 2225 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Jamie also in trouble on 20:27 - May 22 by BigDaveMyCock

Out of interest. If the CEO of a major corporation said we’re doing well because of Brexit would you be so dismissive? I suspect you wouldn’t. Only positive opinions of Brexit are the truth?
I don’t agree with it but I can understand some of the suspicion towards criticism of Brexit from liberals, lefties and the media. But when business leaders voice criticism backed up with facts from their respective businesses then I’m surprised that their assertions are not, at the very least, given some credence. Brexit will ultimately be judged on whether it benefits a sufficient number of people. If it ends up not doing then you’ll be no doubt looking for someone to blame. It will, however, ultimately be your own inability or unwillingness to listen.

I tend not to believe a lot tbh Bdm. Other than what I have been told by people face to face, I do not believe politicians, business leaders may well be manipulative over anything, it’s a mess let’s face it.

I voted leave, and amazingly I knew the facts and potential consequences, I have an economics degree and I am a financial adviser, my view is long term leaving the EU will benefit us.

Our useless politicians are the problem in my view, may is shite, Corbyn is shite, Farage is in his element and when most of eu seats, if not all, go to brexit, it will Chuck more turds on an already shitty barbecue

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Jamie also in trouble on 20:54 - May 22 with 2222 viewsTVOS1907

Jamie also in trouble on 20:51 - May 22 by Thacks_Rabbits

I tend not to believe a lot tbh Bdm. Other than what I have been told by people face to face, I do not believe politicians, business leaders may well be manipulative over anything, it’s a mess let’s face it.

I voted leave, and amazingly I knew the facts and potential consequences, I have an economics degree and I am a financial adviser, my view is long term leaving the EU will benefit us.

Our useless politicians are the problem in my view, may is shite, Corbyn is shite, Farage is in his element and when most of eu seats, if not all, go to brexit, it will Chuck more turds on an already shitty barbecue

Financial adviser?

How come you haven't volunteered your services to our chums down the A58? You know you want to...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Jamie also in trouble on 21:50 - May 22 with 2170 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Jamie also in trouble on 20:54 - May 22 by TVOS1907

Financial adviser?

How come you haven't volunteered your services to our chums down the A58? You know you want to...

You need to have some finance to be advised on it tvos 😂😂😂

Jamie also in trouble on 08:44 - May 23 with 1994 viewsD_Alien

Jamie also in trouble on 20:27 - May 22 by BigDaveMyCock

There's only one voice that needs to be listened to, and it's not to be heard in a boardroom or in Westminster

It's the result of the 2016 Referendum, and i believe when the results of the EU elections are announced on Sunday evening, that voice will have spoken more clearly than ever

Get us out of the EU

If the UK has a temporary period where our GDP falls a percentage point or two, so be it. We'll come through it, but honouring the result of the Referendum is more important than anything else for the future well-being of the country, certainly anything any CEO could possibly tell us. Or you

[Post edited 23 May 2019 8:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Jamie also in trouble on 09:49 - May 23 with 1936 viewsdawlishdale

Jamie also in trouble on 20:51 - May 22 by Thacks_Rabbits

Wow... where do I start.

Nobody knew the facts regarding leaving when we voted to leave. Nobody could have possibly known just what a tangled mess the whole country would be thrown into (and yes...the politicians with their selfish me me me outlook are almost entirely to blame for the mess)

However... it was entirely predictable that European and worldwide businesses who have invested heavily into the UK economy in the past 20-30 years would be worried about our ability to manage on our own.

This has clearly come home to roost with

No significant foreign investment since the vote
A massive drop in the value of the £.
Withdrawal of many overseas companies from the UK
subsequent loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs
Not to mention the Northern Ireland border conundrum, which was entirely predictable
Hardly any EU citizens will be forced out after we leave...and zero citizens from Asia/africa etc will have to go because of Brexit.

So... whilst you many be patting yourself on the back as an IFA who's portfolio's have increased (due mainly to the fall in the £ which raises the FTSE companies worth ...most of the top 100 trade in $'s ) The far far bigger picture is that we are currently much much weaker as a trading nation, and imho will continue to be weaker for the next 10-15 years at least. Beyond that is anyones guess.

I actually agree with D'alien in that we must deliver the will of the people, or our democracy will have failed completely. But surely, with the country divided almost 50-50 on such an important issue, the politicians could and bloody well should have made it a cross party issue, to avoid all the infighting and name calling that has hugely damaged to electorate's confidence in our politicians.
Jamie also in trouble on 10:17 - May 23 with 1883 viewsD_Alien

Jamie also in trouble on 09:49 - May 23 by dawlishdale

Wow... where do I start.

Nobody knew the facts regarding leaving when we voted to leave. Nobody could have possibly known just what a tangled mess the whole country would be thrown into (and yes...the politicians with their selfish me me me outlook are almost entirely to blame for the mess)

However... it was entirely predictable that European and worldwide businesses who have invested heavily into the UK economy in the past 20-30 years would be worried about our ability to manage on our own.

Not to mention the Northern Ireland border conundrum, which was entirely predictable
Hardly any EU citizens will be forced out after we leave...and zero citizens from Asia/africa etc will have to go because of Brexit.

So... whilst you many be patting yourself on the back as an IFA who's portfolio's have increased (due mainly to the fall in the £ which raises the FTSE companies worth ...most of the top 100 trade in $'s ) The far far bigger picture is that we are currently much much weaker as a trading nation, and imho will continue to be weaker for the next 10-15 years at least. Beyond that is anyones guess.

I actually agree with D'alien in that we must deliver the will of the people, or our democracy will have failed completely. But surely, with the country divided almost 50-50 on such an important issue, the politicians could and bloody well should have made it a cross party issue, to avoid all the infighting and name calling that has hugely damaged to electorate's confidence in our politicians.

Your description of the economic events since the Referendum are mainly true, but i'd argue that it's far more to do with the uncertainty around Brexit than Brexit itself

If the political class had delivered on their manifesto promises, we'd be out by now and starting to shape our future economic partnerships. It's precisely that we can't, as yet, do so that's causing the problem

There is light at the end of this long, dark tunnel however

Once the EU election results give Westminster the kick up the arse it needs, and the Tories have elected a PM who believes in Brexit, we can be out by 31 October and no later. Then we'll see how we can make our way in the world, and not just in the EU. I have confidence in the ability of British companies and British talent to more than succeed

Jamie also in trouble on 10:40 - May 23 with 1852 viewselectricblue

Arcadia could be heading towards oblivion aswell..
Sad times for the high street....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Jamie also in trouble on 12:54 - May 23 with 1779 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Jamie also in trouble on 09:49 - May 23 by dawlishdale

Wow... where do I start.

Some interesting points you have made and I agree with some, however the main reason for this absolutely farcical situation lies at the feet of the incompetence of those who we voted to do our bidding.

I am not going to write an essay on the positive effects of devalued currency, why the ftse is doing ok, or why uncertainty is the main reason we are in limbo, as it’s very much common sense, but if you honestly think Germany and many others are not worried about losing trade with the uk, your very much mistaken.

Our main trade partners in the eu don’t want us to go, they are all scared that one of the biggest economies in the world leaving will be the domino that starts the break up of the eu, there is every chance it will.

Anyway until it’s all done and finished, hopefully sooner rather than later, nothing is sure, but if you think much of Europe is not planning trade agreements ready for when we go, your mistaken.

Oh and for the record I am not an ifa so have no personal gain in what I voted for!

Jamie also in trouble on 13:28 - May 23 with 1739 viewstony_roch975

Jamie also in trouble on 10:17 - May 23 by D_Alien

Your description of the economic events since the Referendum are mainly true, but i'd argue that it's far more to do with the uncertainty around Brexit than Brexit itself

If the political class had delivered on their manifesto promises, we'd be out by now and starting to shape our future economic partnerships. It's precisely that we can't, as yet, do so that's causing the problem

There is light at the end of this long, dark tunnel however

Once the EU election results give Westminster the kick up the arse it needs, and the Tories have elected a PM who believes in Brexit, we can be out by 31 October and no later. Then we'll see how we can make our way in the world, and not just in the EU. I have confidence in the ability of British companies and British talent to more than succeed

We certainly have to leave &, to achieve the advantages as you see them, that's probably without a deal (at least initially). Problem is when nothing changes - the gap between rich & poor continues to increase, leave voters get even less respect or power, taxes are cut so public services can be privatised, the north/south divide increases, politicians are ever richer and more remote.... who then takes the can?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Jamie also in trouble on 13:42 - May 23 with 1728 viewsBigKindo

For ****s sake when did a discussion on the demise of a high street business become a topic for Brexit? Oliver's business probably grew too quickly whilst spreading too thinly the available talent in the operation.
Jamie also in trouble on 14:00 - May 23 with 1702 viewsD_Alien

Jamie also in trouble on 13:28 - May 23 by tony_roch975

We certainly have to leave &, to achieve the advantages as you see them, that's probably without a deal (at least initially). Problem is when nothing changes - the gap between rich & poor continues to increase, leave voters get even less respect or power, taxes are cut so public services can be privatised, the north/south divide increases, politicians are ever richer and more remote.... who then takes the can?

I don't necessarily agree with your prognosis, but at least the EU election taking place provides an opportunity to disabuse those who're seeking a second referendum of any merits it might otherwise have had, in the hope of stopping the Brexit process

Plus, and possibly for the first time, the electorate might actually take some notice of the PR element (STV in NI) which could help bring about the changes to the electoral system that i know you're particularly keen on

If nothing else, Brexit is providing a once in a century chance to give our system of political representation the shake-up it needed to bring it in line with the world of instant communications and the aspirations of a new generations of voters. That was never going to be anything less than a very difficult and uncomfortable experience for us all, and whilst there's no guarantee of anything satisfactory emerging from all of this, at least there's an opportunity which staying within the comfort blanket of an undemocratic EU would never have allowed

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024