Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
expectations 23:26 - May 31 with 5708 viewskiwidale

Next season will be our 6th consecutive season in Division 1 we have had 3 relative successful years with a tilt at the play offs, the last 2 seasons we were successful in avoiding relegation, I view that as success. I personally would accept another season of honest graft where maintaining or league status would be another successful season. Younger fans might not be happy with that but us older followers brought up on meager rewards are more inclined to accept a battle to stay in Division 1 is far better than a battle to stay in the football league. The primary goal come August will be 50/52 points It would be a bonus to be on that figure with games to play the last two seasons have been far too stressful for anybody's liking so for me a comfortable mid table finish without any last game drama will be another success.

This is not the time for bickering.

expectations on 05:12 - Jun 1 with 4245 viewspioneer

Soon we will have to rename it the Rochdale division
expectations on 06:24 - Jun 1 with 4219 viewsfrenzied

I cant see us ending up in the top half....15th would be a success.

Just to stay in league 1 would be an achievement.
expectations on 06:49 - Jun 1 with 4208 viewsDalenet

I just want to be entertained and see us use the players in their best positions to get the most out of them. Mid table would be success for me - don't want another relegation scrap. Would love to see one or two youngsters come through
expectations on 07:36 - Jun 1 with 4175 viewskiwidale

All reasoned replies so far the Rochdale division has a certain charm to it. Div I or div 3 in old money is unprecedented in my 60 years plus of following Dale. Being entertained is a bonus and its not an unreasonable request nor is establishing us as a third tier club. I think championship football is highly unlikely without major investment and be careful what you wish for its a fine balance between over ambition and bankruptcy.

expectations on 07:50 - Jun 1 with 4153 viewssouthealingdale

Agree on seeing some of the youngsters come through, that would be great.
Been watching dale since 79. Never thought we would ever manage 6 seasons in division 3.

It will be 8 in the last 10 too. Remarkable.

Long may it continue.

Staying up will do for me.

@upthedale on Twitter

expectations on 08:18 - Jun 1 with 4106 viewsisitme

Players to be played in their correct positions, work hard and the manager to be positive. Some good football, unexpectedly good results and the development of young players would also be a bonus.
expectations on 09:25 - Jun 1 with 4012 viewsYouTubeDale

I am expecting a good season ahead with BBM at the helm. He is the real Messiah, that other bloke just turned out to be a very naughty boy. Taking BBM’s 11 games in charge as a form guide would put us in 6th place and therefore in the play-offs. I am predicting us to be near the playoffs by the end of the season. BBM has a pre-season to get his house in order. Yes, his budget is being cut but he knows what he is doing and he will galvanise the squad yet again yielding points from a group of players worth far more than the sum of their individual parts.

I just hope we have a savy contract in place for BBM ,compensating us well, in readiness for the time other teams want to poach him and we have to start all over again.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB3?saison_id=

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

expectations on 09:47 - Jun 1 with 3967 viewsfitzochris

expectations on 09:25 - Jun 1 by YouTubeDale

I am expecting a good season ahead with BBM at the helm. He is the real Messiah, that other bloke just turned out to be a very naughty boy. Taking BBM’s 11 games in charge as a form guide would put us in 6th place and therefore in the play-offs. I am predicting us to be near the playoffs by the end of the season. BBM has a pre-season to get his house in order. Yes, his budget is being cut but he knows what he is doing and he will galvanise the squad yet again yielding points from a group of players worth far more than the sum of their individual parts.

I just hope we have a savy contract in place for BBM ,compensating us well, in readiness for the time other teams want to poach him and we have to start all over again.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB3?saison_id=

My expectations are much more reserved than that. BBM galvanised a side with a common cause and a short-term aim. He also played the majority of his games against the lower echelons of League One. The games he played against three of the top teams ended in defeat, two of them heavily.

It is for this reason that I think a top-half finish may well be beyond us this season. However, as long as we take points off those teams deemed to be the “smaller teams” of the division, I think we can avoid the horrors of the previous two seasons.

First step is to clear out the peripheral players we have at the club ASAP (some of who have inexplicably been offered contracts). Next is to bring in the very definite new blood needed for certain positions. If all this is achieved to allow a cohesive pre-season, and we avoid injuries to key players during this time, I’ll be confident of the above.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

expectations on 10:42 - Jun 1 with 3864 viewsboromat

I'm hoping for a 'boring' league season where we're never worried about the relegation zone. I agree seeing so e of these youngsters given a chance would be great, especially Adshead Morley and Gilliam they've been around the first team enough now. Obviously be good to get Matheson back in there. And the new pros could be good for the checkatrade competition.

Apart from that lets get to the 50 points mark as quick as possible even if it's ugly then start to express ourselves and maybe shock a few teams. A nice little cup run would be great.

Last few seasons we've gone ugly at the end of the season to save ourselves. Maybe we start ugly this time.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

expectations on 10:56 - Jun 1 with 3840 viewsboroblue

expectations on 05:12 - Jun 1 by pioneer

Soon we will have to rename it the Rochdale division

If we can fire Gillingham and Peterborough off next year (7th season for those two) then we will be the longest serving along with Fleetwood (assuming we stay in it!)
expectations on 11:02 - Jun 1 with 3814 viewsTVOS1907

expectations on 10:56 - Jun 1 by boroblue

If we can fire Gillingham and Peterborough off next year (7th season for those two) then we will be the longest serving along with Fleetwood (assuming we stay in it!)

On a similar theme, it seems that Wrexham will be the longest serving National League club next season.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

expectations on 11:04 - Jun 1 with 3814 viewsdawlishdale

expectations on 09:47 - Jun 1 by fitzochris

My expectations are much more reserved than that. BBM galvanised a side with a common cause and a short-term aim. He also played the majority of his games against the lower echelons of League One. The games he played against three of the top teams ended in defeat, two of them heavily.

It is for this reason that I think a top-half finish may well be beyond us this season. However, as long as we take points off those teams deemed to be the “smaller teams” of the division, I think we can avoid the horrors of the previous two seasons.

First step is to clear out the peripheral players we have at the club ASAP (some of who have inexplicably been offered contracts). Next is to bring in the very definite new blood needed for certain positions. If all this is achieved to allow a cohesive pre-season, and we avoid injuries to key players during this time, I’ll be confident of the above.

This is much more along my feelings. Unless we somehow avoid re-signing some of the players who were mostly rubbish for us last season, and add at least three quality signings, I can see another battle to avoid the drop.
Talk of a reduced budget is logical, but ultimately, will put more pressure on us. Sadly, Hill completely wasted the increase he was given last season, and it's put the Directors into reverse.
expectations on 12:25 - Jun 1 with 3703 viewsjonahwhereru

My expectAtions have been exceeded big style over the last 10 years. To have become an established league one side is a great achievement.

Under BBM we became resilient and hard to beat, with 6 1- 0 wins. The 2 Ethans were a significant contributing factor in the last third of the season. I would love to see one of the youngsters make it, with 7 pros under 20 years old we need one to step forward. However L1 is hard and for all Adshead and Morlwy’s Promise last year, neither cut it at league level. Mr Ellis has faith in the youth and I have faith in Mr Ellis so here’s hoping.

TBH I am hoping at least 3 of those offered contracts don’t sign. That will give BMM some wriggle room,even if he does not think he needs it. Until the window closes we won’t have much idea, but at this juncture I think it will be another year in the bottom third of the table. The only good news is I am shite at football predictions
expectations on 14:40 - Jun 1 with 3571 views49thseason

At the start of each season, I ask myself 1 simple question.." are there 4 teams worse than us?" if there are 4 worse teams, there are some statistics that still need to be met:
1. win 10- 12 home games- problematic given the competition this year
2. score 1 more than you concede in the season - Defence not good enough and still short of a striker so probably heading for a negative goal difference
3. Draw as many as you lose - I am preparing for lots of draws

So the big question.. are there 4 teams worse than us? The question is somewhat complicated by the possibility of not being able to claim the usual 6 points from bury.
expectations on 17:58 - Jun 1 with 3448 viewsShun

With reference to the OP, despite much of the season being a struggle we actually finished the season pretty mid-table.

As for the coming season I’ll echo a few others’ comments that I’ll be happy with some good football, players in their correct position, a continuing commitment to develop youth, and also Henderson edging closer to becoming our greatest ever forward. I’m predicting a lower mid-table finish.
expectations on 18:38 - Jun 1 with 3390 viewsThacks_Rabbits

expectations on 09:47 - Jun 1 by fitzochris

Anything where we are safe with 6 matches to go I would be very happy with? Especially if we decide to play decent football, play some youngsters and win a lot more games at home.

On the subject of the contracts offered, it totally depends on the terms, I would say.

I assume done and Wilbraham are 2 of those whose new contracts have been questioned, but it could well be both have been offered a third of their current wage, maybe alby in a player coach role, we need more coaches and someone to help youth players. Alby on a year deal as player coach, learning the ropes, whilst offering experience at say 60k a year may well suit both parties.

Done knows what he gets here, and won’t get massive money elsewhere now, and both the above may be happy just to have a job somewhere they like, with a manager they like.

I am only guessing, but those 2 for say £120k a year would offer something, without breaking the bank, and still free up around 250k of reduced wages.

Time will tell I guess!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

expectations on 22:41 - Jun 3 with 3045 viewsdogboy

Wow kiwidale you have just aged me by all those years I still remember going down to the Greave paper shop to get the Manchester evening news to find that we had been relected every year in the 70's oddly enough it was always sunny and I can remember kissing the newspaper
expectations on 23:13 - Jun 3 with 3009 viewskiwidale

expectations on 22:41 - Jun 3 by dogboy

Wow kiwidale you have just aged me by all those years I still remember going down to the Greave paper shop to get the Manchester evening news to find that we had been relected every year in the 70's oddly enough it was always sunny and I can remember kissing the newspaper

I remember the lottery of the re-election how we survived what seemed like the annual application is hard to fathom given the prominence of successful non league clubs both local and national. looking back at the 60's and the emergence of clubs like Peterborough and Oxford and the demise of traditional lower league clubs such as Barrow, Workington, Gateshead, Southport and Acrington Stanley. How we managed to survive is a miracle in itself to be where we are now as a club was a pipe dream dreamed only by children like you and me. Still I have fond memories of a simpler time. I remember Dad would take me in the old Brickcroft after the game we were usually the first back well before the results came through to be greeted by "all reet Ron good game was it" to which his stock reply was "shite".
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 7:44]

expectations on 04:05 - Jun 4 with 2929 viewsdownunder

expectations on 22:41 - Jun 3 by dogboy

I was "best man" at my mates wedding in 1984. I started my speech with "there are a lot of happy people in Rochdale today. The football club have been re elected." Yes, it was sunny as well.
expectations on 07:57 - Jun 4 with 2858 viewsBigDaveMyCock

expectations on 04:05 - Jun 4 by downunder

I was "best man" at my mates wedding in 1984. I started my speech with "there are a lot of happy people in Rochdale today. The football club have been re elected." Yes, it was sunny as well.

Was that like a Druid think or sommat they did in them days.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 7:59]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

expectations on 09:03 - Jun 4 with 2788 viewsDaleiLama

No idea what to expect this year on such a small sample size.
We fell from "contenders to pretenders" quickly for reasons we all know.
There are still some decent players in the squad, some good young uns coming through and some holes.
BBM has shown he'll play players where they belong and stick with who he thinks deserves a spot and with the plan. He motivated the team to play with a renewed passion many had lost, and made us difficult to beat in a lot of games (although we rode our luck in a few and were swamped in some).
If BBM recruits well (either permanently or on loan) and continues to get the best out of the team we have, we shouldn't be touching cloth again come season's end. It's asking a lot in his first full season mind but hope springs eternal.
Biggest area for improvement for me would be midfield. We need to take advantage of the possession we have and create more chances/score more goals from there.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:17 - Jun 4 with 2757 viewskiwidale

expectations on 07:57 - Jun 4 by BigDaveMyCock

expectations on 09:17 - Jun 4 with 2757 viewskiwidale

Back things were simple back then weddings were a bloke and a lass not two blokes the worlds upside down.

expectations on 11:30 - Jun 4 with 2666 viewsdownunder

Nah, the Druid wedding was my sister's third wedding, last year.
expectations on 12:05 - Jun 4 with 2625 viewsDaleyBrent

Success for me would be:

- Going back to the type of Rochdale we used to know and love under Hilly 3 years ago: Make sure we are the hardest working team in the division. Play with no fear.
- Keep building commercially off the pitch ensuring we have a club for the future regardless of our division;
- Make sure we make the most of the young talent we have coming through. We haven't got a sellable asset on our books at the minute; maybe Adshead?
- Stay in the division.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024