Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 18:46 - Jun 6 with 1887 viewsaleanddale

Just watching the news what a fitting tribute.

75 years ago Great Britain played a major part in liberating Europe with the D day beach landings in Northern France.

These lads were mostly aged 16 to 22. 4500 + lost there lives on Normandy Beaches during the fighting as they landed.

Brave does not even start to cover it. I will raise a glass to those lads tonight.

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 19:05 - Jun 6 with 1854 viewselectricblue

Such brave souls......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 19:19 - Jun 6 with 1832 viewsArthurDaley

It certainly brought a tear to my eyes and a lump to my throat . Having visited Normandy early on this year and stood on the beaches its a wonder any one survived D Day. We visited a lot of the cemetery's and as aleandale said the biggest majority were in their early twenty's. God bless you lads for your ultimate sacrifice .

A large VAT Dave

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 19:50 - Jun 6 with 1796 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 06:36 - Jun 7 with 1692 viewsaleanddale

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 19:50 - Jun 6 by DaleiLama

Quality....

Compare this to the morons in Porto following Enger land causing trouble.
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 07:43 - Jun 7 with 1657 viewsfrenzied

An extraordinary generation.

A fitting photo I saw on the net was of one the old soldiers stood with his walking stick yet the huge shadow behind him depicts a soldier.

As we see them now it’s difficult to comprehend that the vast majority of the troops had only basic training they were from civvy street,my own father was a railway porter one day and then within 12 months was shipped to the Far East in Burma to fight the Japanese...not for the faint hearted..

At 22 yrs of age I couldn’t have fought my way out of a paper bag,let alone face the situation that generation were thrown into.
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 10:25 - Jun 7 with 1605 views49thseason

If there are people on here who have family that were in the forces, I would recommend sending off for their war records if they have not already done so, I got my fathers record a few years ago and have managed to piece together most of his journey from Marland to El Alamein , Sicily, back to the UK then into Normandy, across the Seine, Ruhr, and Rhine and into Hamburg via the battle of the bulge and Arnhem, and eventually back home.The record list dates of movements and embarkations and disembarkations, units joined and left etc. I cant remember if there is a fee but you only need basic details, name, dob, unit if know. And you can apply online these days I think.
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 10:57 - Jun 7 with 1587 viewsrochdale_ranger

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 10:25 - Jun 7 by 49thseason

If there are people on here who have family that were in the forces, I would recommend sending off for their war records if they have not already done so, I got my fathers record a few years ago and have managed to piece together most of his journey from Marland to El Alamein , Sicily, back to the UK then into Normandy, across the Seine, Ruhr, and Rhine and into Hamburg via the battle of the bulge and Arnhem, and eventually back home.The record list dates of movements and embarkations and disembarkations, units joined and left etc. I cant remember if there is a fee but you only need basic details, name, dob, unit if know. And you can apply online these days I think.

Do you know the website mate.
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 11:37 - Jun 7 with 1562 views49thseason

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 10:57 - Jun 7 by rochdale_ranger

Do you know the website mate.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Apparently, its £30 unless you are a spouse of the deceased or are applying for your own record. Even so, I would suggest it's a valuable family heirloom and something grandchildren and Great Grandchildren will appreciate.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 11:41]
Login to get fewer ads

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 13:49 - Jun 7 with 1499 viewsmingthemerciless

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 10:25 - Jun 7 by 49thseason

Bloody hell, your dad had a rough time. My dad was in the Desert Rats also but ended up fighting his way through Italy ending up at Lake Garda when the war ended. He went back there later a few times and loved it.
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 13:54 - Jun 7 with 1497 viewsEllDale

My dad went through Italy as well and swore that he'd never go back.
Mum eventually persuaded him to go to Sorrento and he loved it though.
The most harrowing experience in our family was just after the war when my grandad was one of the first Allied servicemen to enter Belsen.
That stayed with him till he died.
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 14:24 - Jun 7 with 1471 views49thseason

Lucky is probably the better description. He was RAOC and had a truck full of artilliary supplies , being chased across the desert by german planes with a truck full of shells was probably not a high point. He came home in early December 1944 to attend his fathers funeral and arrived back in France just in time to reinforce the US troops who were getting hammered in the Ardennes. He was then queued up on the "road to hell" with xxx corps trying to get to Arnhem. When he eventually got there , one of the first people he met was a lad he knew from Edenfield who had parachuted in and been taken prisoner at the very start of Market Garden and had managed to escape and was in hiding until xxx corps arrived.. He used to describe it a 5 of his best years wasted and like many others I think it probably affected him for the rest of his life. Certainly enough to turn him into a Dale fan!
D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 03:17 - Jun 8 with 1337 viewsDiddyDave

D Day - 75 years today 06/06/1944 on 11:37 - Jun 7 by 49thseason

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Apparently, its £30 unless you are a spouse of the deceased or are applying for your own record. Even so, I would suggest it's a valuable family heirloom and something grandchildren and Great Grandchildren will appreciate.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 11:41]

Very interested in this,in fact I`ve downloaded that form to send in,so I can hopefully erect a bronze plaque for my Dad. Thing is,when I contacted the only bloke in NZ who makes them,he said I had to have Dad`s regimental service number and preferably his pay book. My Dad wrote a brief account of his wartime experiences twenty or thirty years ago of which I have a copy including his Army number,but wouldn`t have a clue about his pay book. I have a cousin who lives in London so I`ll fill in that form and send it to her (she has all his war medals) and she owes me a couple of favours,so I`m sure she won`t mind sending off the thirty quid. Anyway,thanks for putting that address in,I`ll see how I get on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024