Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Women's World Cup 12:02 - Jun 12 with 10859 viewsD_Alien

Might be passing many people by but i've started watching, with the England v Scotland game. The skill levels have certainly improved and some of the passing & moving (trying hard to avoid euphemisms here) is on a par with the men's game. Certainly, more entertaining than watching the England performances in the Nations Cup

One talking point that's emerged is the US 13-0 trouncing of Thailand. Some commentators are calling it "disrespectful" that the US really went to town right up to the final whistle. I beg to differ. It's a competitive game in the World Cup - why should any sports team ease up (apart from saving their legs for the next game) if they don't have to? In my opinion, it'd be more disrespectful of an opponent to just start passing the ball around without trying to score. It's one of the bugbears I had about Hill's tenure - he stated on several occasions that he found going beyond 4-0 "disrespectful". How odd! Great to see the crowd applauding both teams off the pitch at the end

Thailand beat Cambodia 12-0 in a qualifying game, albeit not in front of a worldwide audience, so they can't complain about being hammered, and to their credit they seem to have taken it on the chin

Looking forward to the latter stages of the tournament when it gets serious. England seem competent but will have their work cut out at that stage against teams like the US

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Women's World Cup on 19:14 - Jun 23 with 1999 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Difficult game for the Ref but the Nigerians tantrums were bizarre......the miserable Manager used to be the fitness coach till a few months ago....fine example of his art?

Well done our lot for keeping cool..... trouble is, Norway in the next round will muller us if we are so sloppy......we can't keep getting away with it.
Women's World Cup on 19:27 - Jun 23 with 1969 viewsKenBoon

Women's World Cup on 19:14 - Jun 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

Difficult game for the Ref but the Nigerians tantrums were bizarre......the miserable Manager used to be the fitness coach till a few months ago....fine example of his art?

Well done our lot for keeping cool..... trouble is, Norway in the next round will muller us if we are so sloppy......we can't keep getting away with it.

The Cameroon players 'protested' as a group and the referee was far too soft to start throwing around cards. They had the measure of her from then on but thankfully not of VAR where the referee couldn't get involved to get it wrong again. I didn't see the other officials come onto the pitch to back the referee up when they were having their tantrums, when there are big incidents you usually see other officials backing up the referee, so I have some sympathy there. Hopefully FIFA will make another rule change and ban the player for that foul at the end. It was atrocious and a referee not wanting to send them into another rant by just booking shouldn't stop a proper punishment. They should look at a better angle of the Cameroon player who ran into the referee too. It might have been innocent but the close up angle isn't good and it looks like she shoves the referee over.

Aside from that England were pretty poor. Have the same mistakes in them as a senior and under-21s mens teams do. Without VAR Cameroon could have gotten something.
Women's World Cup on 19:43 - Jun 23 with 1947 viewsD_Alien

Not sure what Phil Neville thought he was doing, saying at the half time interview it was "almost too easy" for England, not the right message under any circumstances

Agree about VAR getting the decisions right. I think the nature of the women's game seems to allow for greater leeway in players "showing emotion" on the pitch (i.e. dissent) which is usually pretty mild compared to the men's game. I actually thought the ref did pretty well under the circumstances, and allowed the game to end without the whole thing turning into a major incident. Also agree that review of the foul at the end should result in further punishment for the player involved, who basically tried to take our lass out of the World Cup out of spite

[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 19:45]

Women's World Cup on 19:57 - Jun 23 with 1908 viewsblackdogblue

Women's World Cup on 19:43 - Jun 23 by D_Alien

Not sure what Phil Neville thought he was doing, saying at the half time interview it was "almost too easy" for England, not the right message under any circumstances

Agree about VAR getting the decisions right. I think the nature of the women's game seems to allow for greater leeway in players "showing emotion" on the pitch (i.e. dissent) which is usually pretty mild compared to the men's game. I actually thought the ref did pretty well under the circumstances, and allowed the game to end without the whole thing turning into a major incident. Also agree that review of the foul at the end should result in further punishment for the player involved, who basically tried to take our lass out of the World Cup out of spite

[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 19:45]

3 Irons on a shirt..

Best of luck to them

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Women's World Cup on 20:09 - Jun 23 with 1878 viewsBartRowou

Women's World Cup on 19:57 - Jun 23 by blackdogblue

3 Irons on a shirt..

Best of luck to them

Three obvious decisions wrong: the elbow in the face, an England penalty not given and that challenge at the end near the halfway line.

VAR gets some decisions right and some wrong just like the old system with the ref and the linespeople. If it's going to be so subjective, what's the point?

Plus, that game finished at 6.33 which is three minutes past five in old money. That's train-missing territory.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Women's World Cup on 20:10 - Jun 23 with 1876 viewsArthurDaley

The elbow on the English player in the first 3 minutes deserved a red card.

A large VAT Dave

Women's World Cup on 20:12 - Jun 23 with 1871 viewsD_Alien

Women's World Cup on 20:09 - Jun 23 by BartRowou

Three obvious decisions wrong: the elbow in the face, an England penalty not given and that challenge at the end near the halfway line.

VAR gets some decisions right and some wrong just like the old system with the ref and the linespeople. If it's going to be so subjective, what's the point?

Plus, that game finished at 6.33 which is three minutes past five in old money. That's train-missing territory.

Not really, when spectators will probably allow for extra time/penalties

btw, it's not VAR that gets decisions "wrong", but those human beings reviewing the action on VAR, but i agree it can sometimes be a matter of interpretation especially with fouls and showing them in slow motion can often make it look worse than in real time when collisions happen at speed

[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 20:15]

Women's World Cup on 21:57 - Jun 23 with 1747 viewsmingthemerciless

Women's World Cup on 19:27 - Jun 23 by KenBoon

The Cameroon players 'protested' as a group and the referee was far too soft to start throwing around cards. They had the measure of her from then on but thankfully not of VAR where the referee couldn't get involved to get it wrong again. I didn't see the other officials come onto the pitch to back the referee up when they were having their tantrums, when there are big incidents you usually see other officials backing up the referee, so I have some sympathy there. Hopefully FIFA will make another rule change and ban the player for that foul at the end. It was atrocious and a referee not wanting to send them into another rant by just booking shouldn't stop a proper punishment. They should look at a better angle of the Cameroon player who ran into the referee too. It might have been innocent but the close up angle isn't good and it looks like she shoves the referee over.

Aside from that England were pretty poor. Have the same mistakes in them as a senior and under-21s mens teams do. Without VAR Cameroon could have gotten something.

There was a similar incident involving an Oldham rugby league player last season when he was accused of contact with the ref. I can't remember how many games suspension he got but he lost half a season.
Login to get fewer ads

Women's World Cup on 22:19 - Jun 23 with 1709 viewskel

The game was against Cameroon.
Women's World Cup on 23:46 - Jun 23 with 1597 viewssweetcorn

Women's World Cup on 22:19 - Jun 23 by kel

Same continent, same difference?

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Women's World Cup on 00:16 - Jun 24 with 1578 viewsKenBoon

The Cameroon.
Women's World Cup on 01:57 - Jun 24 with 1558 viewsrochdale_ranger

They all look the same though don’t they mayyyyyte?
Women's World Cup on 05:46 - Jun 24 with 1509 viewsDiddyDave

Just watched the highlights of England`s game and Germany`s. To a neutral you`d have to think the European teams were well looked after by VAR,I know I didn`t think the first German goal should`ve been allowed. A German girl was standing right in front of the goalie when the shot came in,so even though she didn`t attempt to play the ball,in my opinion she was interfering with play by obstructing the goalie`s view. Anybody agree?
Women's World Cup on 05:52 - Jun 24 with 1500 viewsDaleiLama

The 'Roons looked they were playing on 'roids so that would fit?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Women's World Cup (n/t) on 10:41 - Jun 24 with 1362 viewsMolly

Women's World Cup on 00:16 - Jun 24 by KenBoon

The Cameroon.

Women's World Cup on 12:55 - Jun 24 with 1254 viewsmingthemerciless

Women's World Cup on 05:46 - Jun 24 by DiddyDave

Just watched the highlights of England`s game and Germany`s. To a neutral you`d have to think the European teams were well looked after by VAR,I know I didn`t think the first German goal should`ve been allowed. A German girl was standing right in front of the goalie when the shot came in,so even though she didn`t attempt to play the ball,in my opinion she was interfering with play by obstructing the goalie`s view. Anybody agree?

I haven't seen that incident but the modern off side rule is crazy.
Women's World Cup on 13:17 - Jun 24 with 1212 viewselectricblue

Women's World Cup on 12:55 - Jun 24 by mingthemerciless

I haven't seen that incident but the modern off side rule is crazy.

After the England v Cameroon game yesterday Alex Scott mentioned that if an attacking player is in an off side position and obstructing the keepers view then its off side..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Women's World Cup on 13:19 - Jun 24 with 1207 viewsDaleFan7

There's a video now that seems to show one of the Cameroon players spitting on Toni Duggan.
Women's World Cup on 13:29 - Jun 24 with 1201 viewsKenBoon

Women's World Cup on 05:46 - Jun 24 by DiddyDave

The US got a ropey one where a player who actually challenged for the ball, causing the Denmark? player to clear was deemed not interfering with play. I saw the german off-side one from afar (pub) and it did look like she was interfering in play. The thing is, the on-pitch referees in the England game gave pretty much everything in favour of Cameroon. Elbow - no red card. Spitting - no red card. Disallowed perfectly good England goal until overturned by VAR. Gave their offside goal before having overturned by VAR. Strong penalty shout missed in live and not given on VAR (probably correct decision but certainly seen them given) and missing the disgraceful injury time 'tackle', having a look at it on VAR and only giving a yellow card. Throw in how the referee allowed Cameroon to bring the game into disrepute and the only possible conspiracy theories would be against England.
Women's World Cup on 13:49 - Jun 24 with 1186 viewsD_Alien

Women's World Cup on 13:29 - Jun 24 by KenBoon

The US got a ropey one where a player who actually challenged for the ball, causing the Denmark? player to clear was deemed not interfering with play. I saw the german off-side one from afar (pub) and it did look like she was interfering in play. The thing is, the on-pitch referees in the England game gave pretty much everything in favour of Cameroon. Elbow - no red card. Spitting - no red card. Disallowed perfectly good England goal until overturned by VAR. Gave their offside goal before having overturned by VAR. Strong penalty shout missed in live and not given on VAR (probably correct decision but certainly seen them given) and missing the disgraceful injury time 'tackle', having a look at it on VAR and only giving a yellow card. Throw in how the referee allowed Cameroon to bring the game into disrepute and the only possible conspiracy theories would be against England.

Perfectly summed up

Women's World Cup on 16:18 - Jun 24 with 1095 viewsmingthemerciless

Women's World Cup on 13:17 - Jun 24 by electricblue

After the England v Cameroon game yesterday Alex Scott mentioned that if an attacking player is in an off side position and obstructing the keepers view then its off side..

Another one of my complaints is when a player may be in an off side position but not interfering with play and they're jogging back to get onside. Another player suddenly breaks through and has a shot on goal which is blocked and bounces away. The player that was jogging back has turned around and gets to the ball first and puts the ball away.

That player got to the ball first because they were off side in the first place and they've gained an advantage by being off side.
Women's World Cup on 22:03 - Jun 27 with 875 viewsD_Alien

And so to the semis

We've still got room for improvement, especially defensively where we could be punished by a more clinical side; but up front, we're pretty clinical ourselves. 3-0 didn't flatter us

[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 22:09]

Women's World Cup on 22:08 - Jun 27 with 846 viewsArthurDaley

Lucy Bronze, what a player , what a goal.

A large VAT Dave

Women's World Cup on 22:20 - Jun 27 with 816 viewsDorsetDale

That Cameroon farce can now be forgotten.

An entertaining game that saw England dominate early and get the goals their attacks deserved. Yes some mistakes but that performance will have France/USA knowing they'll have to be at their very best two games on the trot to get in the final. England can get better still.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Women's World Cup on 22:20 - Jun 27 with 815 viewsjudd

Women's World Cup on 22:03 - Jun 27 by D_Alien

And so to the semis

We've still got room for improvement, especially defensively where we could be punished by a more clinical side; but up front, we're pretty clinical ourselves. 3-0 didn't flatter us

[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 22:09]

I predicted semis when our number 17 was introduced...

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024