Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where would you go? 19:28 - Jul 13 with 10005 viewsJames1980

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr0a8889c35ce74100b70b85ba4af335.aspx

Thinking about getting one of these tickets. Where would you folk say would be the best route?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Where would you go? on 18:28 - Oct 18 with 1654 viewsrochdaleriddler

Where would you go? on 18:01 - Oct 18 by blackdogblue

Dicken Green - Closed now a resteraunt
anything on drake st further up than Xanadu’s (gone), Navigation, Dick Whittington, Last orders etc all gone
any pub on Belfield, printers arms - gone
three ships - gone
highland laddie now a take away
that Irish bar Murphy’s - gone
Could rattle another 10 paces at least within 15-20 mins walk from the bus station as well in cba

Not much left to be honest

Not exactly great pubs were they, people stopped going in coz most were shyte

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Where would you go? on 18:48 - Oct 18 with 1636 viewsnordenblue

Where would you go? on 18:20 - Oct 18 by Thacks_Rabbits

Thanks fhd & bd.

I do find it sad that so many pubs have gone, I doubt any of my favourite haunts are left now, well most I know are gone, sawyers, wagon and horses, baileys, industry, Gale, Phoenix, Britannia, enteistle, the manor, and that pub near Asda, real ale pub with outside toilets, forget the name.

Pubs, pool, 9 card, crib, darts, football etc were a 7 day a week entertainment (I drove most nights) and for various reasons this has been destroyed, along with the community it attracted.

Still at least now you can get 12 cans for the price of a pint and a taxi and get leathered and have a fag where you want, anyone would think the government wanted this!

Merry Monk?
Where would you go? on 18:52 - Oct 18 with 1623 viewsD_Alien

Where would you go? on 18:28 - Oct 18 by rochdaleriddler

Not exactly great pubs were they, people stopped going in coz most were shyte

You'd think that'd be pretty obvious wouldn't you, but some people seem to need the bleeding obvious explaining to them

You seem to get around the pubs in the town centre and the wider borough as well as anyone on here, and it's good to hear balanced views being put forward instead of the usual negativity towards the town that so many have been brought up with they just can't adjust their mindset to the positive changes that are taking place

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Where would you go? on 20:00 - Oct 18 with 1558 viewsblackdogblue

Where would you go? on 18:48 - Oct 18 by nordenblue

Merry Monk?

Yep Merry Monk, again a more real ale pub now a solicitors.. Spread Eagle another..

There was a time u could walk down from the Dog & if you stopped in every pub on the way down to Rochdale u would be pi$$ed by the time you got there. There were 2 pubs at the lights where the laddie used to be, the wool pack for dark memories of a den of iniquity itself, another before JR Pizza on the same side? all gone.. Sandyman is the font of all knowledge of local pubs past & present, my Grandad 😂😂

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Where would you go? on 20:10 - Oct 18 with 1543 viewsblackdogblue

Where would you go? on 18:52 - Oct 18 by D_Alien

You'd think that'd be pretty obvious wouldn't you, but some people seem to need the bleeding obvious explaining to them

You seem to get around the pubs in the town centre and the wider borough as well as anyone on here, and it's good to hear balanced views being put forward instead of the usual negativity towards the town that so many have been brought up with they just can't adjust their mindset to the positive changes that are taking place

Really? Let’s cause an argument in an empty house then...

What “improvements” - opening up the River? Caused flooding chaos..

New Cinema? - We have one?

Next? - one at Elk Mill & the Rock

metro link? - reported on MEN, most crime area committed between Rochdale & Oldham (one person smoking a crack pipe...

Why is the riverside development changing our lives for the better??

Where would you go? on 22:49 - Oct 18 with 1504 viewsrochdaleriddler

Where would you go? on 18:52 - Oct 18 by D_Alien

I have been known to take a drink or two

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Where would you go? on 23:11 - Oct 18 with 1493 viewsD_Alien

Where would you go? on 22:49 - Oct 18 by rochdaleriddler

I have been known to take a drink or two

That's one in each hand then

aka - a balanced view

Where would you go? on 01:19 - Oct 19 with 1469 viewskiwidale

Makes sad reading.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/rochdale.html

This is not the time for bickering.

Login to get fewer ads

Where would you go? on 10:08 - Oct 19 with 1380 viewsMolly

Where would you go? on 01:19 - Oct 19 by kiwidale

Makes sad reading.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/rochdale.html

It would do if not for the fact that many of them closed in the 18 or early 19 hundreds.
Where would you go? on 10:26 - Oct 19 with 1372 viewsfitzochris

Pub closures are not unique to Rochdale. It’s a UK wide issue caused by high business rates, tax on alcohol and deep discounting by supermarkets. That said, minimum pricing in Scotland hasn’t forced punters back into the pub in droves.

As for the town centre, improvements are clearly under way and I reckon I notice and appreciate them more as a visitor to the town now, rather than still living there. However, areas still look like they did years ago, if not worse. Find me an industrial town that has a different story, though. I think Rochdale’s is a very British story rather than a very Rochdale one.

I made a rule never to discuss politics on here, so I’ll leave it at that.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Where would you go? on 18:40 - Oct 22 with 1218 viewsJames1980

I know Rochdale is not unique regarding this, one thing I noticed on my walk from the station to town this afternoon was the litter. Such a shame because of the impression it gives.

Where would you go? on 19:40 - Oct 22 with 1174 viewschalky_ncfc

Where would you go? on 18:40 - Oct 22 by James1980

I know Rochdale is not unique regarding this, one thing I noticed on my walk from the station to town this afternoon was the litter. Such a shame because of the impression it gives.

Turn around and get back on the next train home before you start "Harping on" about ginnels,barm cakes and Ow doing it to people you don't even know

Run James,run! It's still not to late to save yourself
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 19:43]

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Where would you go? on 19:42 - Oct 22 with 1170 viewsJames1980

Where would you go? on 19:40 - Oct 22 by chalky_ncfc

Turn around and get back on the next train home before you start "Harping on" about ginnels,barm cakes and Ow doing it to people you don't even know

Personally I think litter is one of the first things any local authority should deal with.

Where would you go? on 19:45 - Oct 22 with 1161 viewschalky_ncfc

Where would you go? on 19:42 - Oct 22 by James1980

Personally I think litter is one of the first things any local authority should deal with.

Nevermind the litter,what you going to do with a whippet and flat cap in Lewes?

Where would you go? on 20:07 - Oct 22 with 1143 viewsblackdogblue

Where would you go? on 19:45 - Oct 22 by chalky_ncfc

Nevermind the litter,what you going to do with a whippet and flat cap in Lewes?

Fook off Chalky, do you wear a feather in ur cap? Or are you one of the Merry men 😀

Where would you go? on 09:06 - Oct 23 with 1067 viewschalky_ncfc

Where would you go? on 20:07 - Oct 22 by blackdogblue

Fook off Chalky, do you wear a feather in ur cap? Or are you one of the Merry men 😀

I've always walked around with a feather in my cap bdb

Where would you go? on 11:22 - Oct 23 with 1042 viewskiwidale

Where would you go? on 19:40 - Oct 22 by chalky_ncfc

bit rich coming from Nottingham were the town hero was a thief

[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 11:24]

This is not the time for bickering.

Where would you go? on 12:18 - Oct 23 with 1007 viewschalky_ncfc

Where would you go? on 11:22 - Oct 23 by kiwidale

bit rich coming from Nottingham were the town hero was a thief

[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 11:24]

Taking from the rich and giving to the poor shows just what a charitable city Nottingham is,I doubt that Rochdale was even a couple of mud huts in the 12th century

Where would you go? on 12:53 - Oct 23 with 992 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I don`t think there is such a thing as a shite pub. People make the pub what it is, so if the clientele are rough, then the pub is likely to be.

Spotland Rd has been raped of all its establishments. Golden Ball, Carters Rest, Jolly Waggoner (Funnies), The Victoria, The Albert,Bowling Green and Highland Laddie have all gone and probably more that I can`t remember.

You could say the same about most roads leading in and out of the town and the majority have gone because of smoking bans, clamp down on drink driving and the economy.

I would expect the same can be said about most towns in the north of England, but Rochdale does seem to have been hit harder than most.
Where would you go? on 13:33 - Oct 23 with 973 viewsD_Alien

Where would you go? on 12:53 - Oct 23 by RooleyMoorBlue

I don`t think there is such a thing as a shite pub. People make the pub what it is, so if the clientele are rough, then the pub is likely to be.

Spotland Rd has been raped of all its establishments. Golden Ball, Carters Rest, Jolly Waggoner (Funnies), The Victoria, The Albert,Bowling Green and Highland Laddie have all gone and probably more that I can`t remember.

You could say the same about most roads leading in and out of the town and the majority have gone because of smoking bans, clamp down on drink driving and the economy.

I would expect the same can be said about most towns in the north of England, but Rochdale does seem to have been hit harder than most.

I suspect the definition of a shyte pub that rr referred to would be much more in line with "one that people stop using so it's forced to close due to lack of income". It's certainly a definition that i'd suggest

There may well be an example of a thriving pub making a lucrative living for its landlord/brewery closing down, but i'd be grateful if you'd point it out to me

[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 13:37]

Where would you go? on 16:17 - Oct 23 with 926 viewsEllDale

The usual reasons are mentioned above as to why pub culture has declined - smoking ban, drink driving clampdown, cheaper supermarket beer etc but few people recall how the government a few years smashed the tied house culture which was used by the big brewery companies.
It forced them to sell a lot of their tied houses with the result that a lot of them were purchased by hedge fund backed companies like Punch Taverns.
It's all about profit with these people; if a new tenant starts making money and runs a successful pub they'll automatically raise the rent accordingly.
There's no incentive to run a successful pub under these conditions and leads to a rapid turnover of publicans.
Where would you go? on 16:31 - Oct 23 with 907 viewsD_Alien

Where would you go? on 16:17 - Oct 23 by EllDale

The usual reasons are mentioned above as to why pub culture has declined - smoking ban, drink driving clampdown, cheaper supermarket beer etc but few people recall how the government a few years smashed the tied house culture which was used by the big brewery companies.
It forced them to sell a lot of their tied houses with the result that a lot of them were purchased by hedge fund backed companies like Punch Taverns.
It's all about profit with these people; if a new tenant starts making money and runs a successful pub they'll automatically raise the rent accordingly.
There's no incentive to run a successful pub under these conditions and leads to a rapid turnover of publicans.

The tied house culture needed smashing, and has led to the superb range of quality ales on sale now in the new types of establishment, which includes decent grub being served and a much more welcoming atmosphere for all sections of society

Local breweries have established a foothold in the market and its a joy to sample the ever-changing range available now; this wouldn't have been possible before. Business, for those pubs able to cater for a variety of tastes, is booming

I was really pleased to see a group of middle-aged Asian women call into the Regal Moon a couple of weeks ago, get their coffee cups and enjoy the refills. They were dressed in their traditional garb. No-one bothered them (it was mid-afternoon) and they had a chat, a laugh and then left with a smile on their faces. So did i. It felt like this is how cultural integration should be

They wouldn't have gone within a million miles of the types of establishment referred to above as examples of "sad to see them close"

[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 16:33]

Where would you go? on 16:37 - Oct 23 with 886 viewsEllDale

My wife and her mates also have no problem at all in going to the Regal Moon and other JD Wetherspoon pubs for breakfast and those refill coffees.
Three cheers for Tim Martin in that respect!
She would never have dared go in a pub on her own when I first met her.
That's a sign of a changing, and a more enlightened, society.
Where would you go? on 20:39 - Oct 30 with 739 viewsJames1980

Highly recommend Ravenglass as a place to go and cannot sing the praises of Rosegarth Guest House enough.

Where would you go? on 20:53 - Oct 30 with 730 viewsTVOS1907

Where would you go? on 20:39 - Oct 30 by James1980

Highly recommend Ravenglass as a place to go and cannot sing the praises of Rosegarth Guest House enough.

How did you get on in Clitheroe, James?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024