Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 10:37 - Aug 1 with 27912 viewsSandyman

Convicts win the toss and bat.
Ashes thread on 16:29 - Aug 5 with 1982 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes thread on 15:31 - Aug 5 by fitzochris

An inability to remove Smith quickly in either innings and an inability to bat to the situation cost us.

I'm worried that lessons won't be learned in time for the next test.

If I read you correctly other than batting and bowling we weren’t that bad :-)
Ashes thread on 16:32 - Aug 5 with 1972 viewsfitzochris

Ashes thread on 16:29 - Aug 5 by Nigeriamark

If I read you correctly other than batting and bowling we weren’t that bad :-)

It’s a struggle when you recall we had them at 122-8 in the first innings. Smith saved them when he was backed up and did so again in the second innings. If we found a way to stop him piling on runs until he got bored, today’s chase may have been achievable.

As it was, we were playing for a draw at best, and failed to bat accordingly.

It’s remarkable we posted a lead of 90 in the first innings, given the similar wobble we had there.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ashes thread on 16:42 - Aug 5 with 1955 views49thseason

Ashes thread on 15:48 - Aug 5 by mingthemerciless

Same with all our sporting teams I'm afraid. When the going gets tough we fold ! We're bringing through a generation of players who have had it easy all their lives and when it come to a real scrap they haven't got what it takes to deal with it.
Football, Cricket, Rugby - we can knock over the small nations but when the big boys come calling we s--t ourselves.

I played cricket for 40 years and now I cant bear to watch. As a lad, I used to sit riveted for hours listening to the commentary on the radio, as Trueman and Statham bowled at Aussies and West Indies players, Ken Barrington, Graveney, Edrich. Players that would bat for and bowl for days if they had to, making every second count. Today's players are pale copies, they wear the cap but there isn't much underneath it, they wear the shirt but have hearts the size of a budgie. I played with some decent former professionals, blokes who were students of the game and could spot a weakness in half and over and were good enough to exploit it. Not so much these days, poor shot selection, lots of wafting, too much trying to hit the cover off and not enough working the ball. 5 dayTest Match Cricket and limited-overs are completely different games and we need to grow players for both games and not try to makes one size fit all.
Ashes thread on 17:58 - Aug 5 with 1880 viewsmingthemerciless

Ashes thread on 15:50 - Aug 5 by 1907

We’ve just won a Cricket World Cup & our football team performed better at last years Football World Cup than they have done in decades.

Yes but when the chips were down in the football World Cup we bottled it. OK so we won the " tip and run " Cup in the cricket but these are the games that count.
Ashes thread on 17:59 - Aug 5 with 1876 viewsmingthemerciless

Ashes thread on 16:42 - Aug 5 by 49thseason

I played cricket for 40 years and now I cant bear to watch. As a lad, I used to sit riveted for hours listening to the commentary on the radio, as Trueman and Statham bowled at Aussies and West Indies players, Ken Barrington, Graveney, Edrich. Players that would bat for and bowl for days if they had to, making every second count. Today's players are pale copies, they wear the cap but there isn't much underneath it, they wear the shirt but have hearts the size of a budgie. I played with some decent former professionals, blokes who were students of the game and could spot a weakness in half and over and were good enough to exploit it. Not so much these days, poor shot selection, lots of wafting, too much trying to hit the cover off and not enough working the ball. 5 dayTest Match Cricket and limited-overs are completely different games and we need to grow players for both games and not try to makes one size fit all.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. As Bill Shankly once said about a player " A heart as big as a Carraway seed ".
Ashes thread on 18:08 - Aug 5 with 1864 viewskiwidale

Ashes thread on 16:27 - Aug 5 by Nigeriamark

Landed 30 minutes ago. Not surprised TBH. Huge pressure on the next game as we need to win the series to get the Ashes back. Let’s hope for a response

England did not win the Cricket world cup on the field they prevailed because of an umpire error of the over throw rule.

This is not the time for bickering.

Ashes thread on 03:22 - Aug 6 with 1751 viewsDiddyDave

Ashes thread on 18:08 - Aug 5 by kiwidale

England did not win the Cricket world cup on the field they prevailed because of an umpire error of the over throw rule.

Shush Kiwi,they`re still in Gagaland over it,the only team in the history of cricket who actually "won" a game without scoring more runs than the other side.
Ashes thread on 06:47 - Aug 6 with 1722 viewsfitzochris

Ashes thread on 03:22 - Aug 6 by DiddyDave

Shush Kiwi,they`re still in Gagaland over it,the only team in the history of cricket who actually "won" a game without scoring more runs than the other side.

They?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 07:16 - Aug 6 with 1720 viewsColDale

Ashes thread on 16:32 - Aug 5 by fitzochris

It’s a struggle when you recall we had them at 122-8 in the first innings. Smith saved them when he was backed up and did so again in the second innings. If we found a way to stop him piling on runs until he got bored, today’s chase may have been achievable.

As it was, we were playing for a draw at best, and failed to bat accordingly.

It’s remarkable we posted a lead of 90 in the first innings, given the similar wobble we had there.

There were three occasions we had the Aussies on the ropes. 122-8 in the 1st innings, England at end of day 2 at 267-4, and Aussie 2nd innings 75-3. Two occasions Smith pulled it out the bag, and the other, we just capitulated. Aussies are great at doing this. They were arguably behind the game at the end of each of the first three days and still managed a hammering.

Was one of those games like in 2005 but in reverse. Anderson's injury was like McGraths - arguably worse that it happened four overs in rather than the warm up, and I fear this may prove to be Jimmy's last ever appearance for England. A five man attack as we prepared for would have made the difference. Anderson taking Smith early in that first innings and we're all sat here following an innings defeat of the Aussies claiming they are the worst Aussie team to have ever toured.

Longer term, we need to ensure we're not doing the Aussies any favours. Letting Siddle (criminally underused by the Aussies over the years) and Bancroft to come over and play County Cricket for the first three months of the season is making it easy for them. Dead simple, no Aussies playing county cricket in an Ashes year.

Maybe the biggest mistake is having the World Cup and Ashes tour in the same year. Maybe we could have rearranged like the Aussies did when they were due to host both in the same year.

We're not a million miles off and the real danger is ensuring we don't rip everything up and starting again. The Aussies have shown themselves to have a weak batting line up (10 out of 11 anyway), and we've got more than enough quality in ours to get a decent score.
Ashes thread on 09:08 - Aug 6 with 1683 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 03:22 - Aug 6 by DiddyDave

Pathetic comment.

Did you hate England so much when you lived here or has it developed since you moved down under and became more superior than everything you've left behind?

And by the way, I saw Littleborough beat Bacup on a bowl-out once, having failed to score more runs than them in the rest of the game.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Ashes thread on 09:11 - Aug 6 with 1683 viewskiwidale

Ashes thread on 09:08 - Aug 6 by TVOS1907

Pathetic comment.

Did you hate England so much when you lived here or has it developed since you moved down under and became more superior than everything you've left behind?

And by the way, I saw Littleborough beat Bacup on a bowl-out once, having failed to score more runs than them in the rest of the game.

FFS is the truth so unpalatable are we now akin to Lord Haw Haw
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 9:13]

Ashes thread on 09:15 - Aug 6 with 1675 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 09:11 - Aug 6 by kiwidale

FFS is the truth so unpalatable are we now akin to Lord Haw Haw
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 9:13]

No, but there seems to be this campaign to find any way possible to denigrate England winning the World Cup.

It wouldn't happen anywhere else.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Ashes thread on 09:30 - Aug 6 with 1655 viewskiwidale

Ashes thread on 09:15 - Aug 6 by TVOS1907

No, but there seems to be this campaign to find any way possible to denigrate England winning the World Cup.

It wouldn't happen anywhere else.

A campaign really? Silly comments... Diddy Dave and myself are proud Rochdalians living overseas we dont hate England and we haven't joined ISIS, I cant speak for Diddy but I will never be a Kiwi as long as Ive got an hole in my arse and if you don't like our opinion over a cricket match go suck Rangers Plums.

Ashes thread on 09:42 - Aug 6 with 1633 viewsD_Alien

Bitter antipodeans need to get over England winning the World Cup by the existing rules; narking about it still is simply sour plums

When the rules were that one-day games finishing level were won by the team losing least wickets, dozens of games were settled that way during that period, so they're factually incorrect too

Then the rules evolved, and i use that word advisedly. They may evolve further, but what doesn't seem to change is the world being plagued by sore losers

Get over it; it's not good for your health

[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 9:44]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes thread on 09:53 - Aug 6 with 1611 viewskiwidale

Ashes thread on 09:42 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

Bitter antipodeans need to get over England winning the World Cup by the existing rules; narking about it still is simply sour plums

When the rules were that one-day games finishing level were won by the team losing least wickets, dozens of games were settled that way during that period, so they're factually incorrect too

Then the rules evolved, and i use that word advisedly. They may evolve further, but what doesn't seem to change is the world being plagued by sore losers

Get over it; it's not good for your health

[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 9:44]

Thanks for inquiring after my health D_A Im feeling chipper I fully expect to see Christmas hope you are the same. Bitter antipodeans what gives you that idea? It's not like you to pile in so early in the season lad whats happened to bonhomie? it could be be a long season.

Ashes thread on 09:56 - Aug 6 with 1607 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 09:53 - Aug 6 by kiwidale

Thanks for inquiring after my health D_A Im feeling chipper I fully expect to see Christmas hope you are the same. Bitter antipodeans what gives you that idea? It's not like you to pile in so early in the season lad whats happened to bonhomie? it could be be a long season.

Using that old "early in the season" shite again? Again??

Fook off

Ashes thread on 10:05 - Aug 6 with 1590 viewskiwidale

Ashes thread on 09:56 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

Using that old "early in the season" shite again? Again??

Fook off

Very droll you're still the master of the put down.

Ashes thread on 10:07 - Aug 6 with 1586 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 10:05 - Aug 6 by kiwidale

Very droll you're still the master of the put down.

I'm simply in very RUDE health

And btw, we're two-thirds the way through the cricket season

[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 10:09]

Ashes thread on 11:26 - Aug 6 with 1509 viewsmingthemerciless

I was as delighted as most on here when we won the limited overs cup but compared with beating the Aussies and taking back the Ashes it was a sideshow.
Ashes thread on 12:12 - Aug 6 with 1464 viewssweetcorn

Ashes thread on 15:48 - Aug 5 by mingthemerciless

Same with all our sporting teams I'm afraid. When the going gets tough we fold ! We're bringing through a generation of players who have had it easy all their lives and when it come to a real scrap they haven't got what it takes to deal with it.
Football, Cricket, Rugby - we can knock over the small nations but when the big boys come calling we s--t ourselves.

What a load of drivel..

Sure we just won the world cup?

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Ashes thread on 19:52 - Aug 6 with 1365 viewsmingthemerciless

Ashes thread on 12:12 - Aug 6 by sweetcorn

What a load of drivel..

Sure we just won the world cup?

And what else ?
Ashes thread on 20:09 - Aug 6 with 1349 viewssweetcorn

Ashes thread on 19:52 - Aug 6 by mingthemerciless

And what else ?

Well we’ve won the world cup in one of the sports you’ve mentioned since i’ve been alive..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Ashes thread on 20:48 - Aug 6 with 1320 viewsDaleiLama

Ashes thread on 19:52 - Aug 6 by mingthemerciless

And what else ?

We are the only nation to win the WC @ football, rugby and cricket. Not bad for a little island with no pluck.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ashes thread on 11:13 - Aug 15 with 1214 viewsfitzochris

Ashes thread on 12:23 - Aug 5 by fitzochris

Jason Roy doing his best to prove he isn't a Test batsman.

He’s at it again. Looked uncomfortable facing every ball.

Ashes thread on 15:30 - Aug 18 with 1049 viewsD_Alien

Brilliant charge by Stokes, leaving 267 from 48 overs, and no Smith

Can we do it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024