Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 10:37 - Aug 1 with 28202 viewsSandyman

Convicts win the toss and bat.
Ashes thread on 18:10 - Sep 13 with 1972 viewsColDale

Can be no coincidence the number of times the Aussies' innings comes to a close half an hour from the close of play
Ashes thread on 20:14 - Sep 13 with 1876 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Ashes thread on 18:10 - Sep 13 by ColDale

Can be no coincidence the number of times the Aussies' innings comes to a close half an hour from the close of play

I think Burns has come out of this as a credible opener, but we need 3 opening batsman in reality with our middle order effectively all number 5’s.

Crawley must me worth a look and Burns obviously stays in so, assuming jimmy won’t be about much longer I would go with.

Burns
Crawley
?????
Root
Denley
Stokes
Bairstow/Buttler
Curren
Stone/Broad
Leach
Archer

Obviously jimmy is not included currently, plunkett I like and woakes is not good
enough, we only need 1 of buttler and bairstow.

We need a 3 who is an opener for the inevitable fail of 1 of top 3.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Ashes thread on 12:39 - Sep 14 with 1746 viewsfitzochris

Denly looks much more like an opener this innings. He obviously wanted out in the first to get to the hospital for the birth of his second child :)

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ashes thread on 14:24 - Sep 14 with 1686 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Ashes thread on 17:31 - Sep 13 by Nigeriamark

Aussies 187-8 and Smith out for 80. That’s 2 sub 100 scores on the trot (80 and 82)so looks like he is on the wain😃

Even a falling Smith has more influence on a match than our so called best batsman Root. Our best batsman of course is Stokes.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Ashes thread on 14:24 - Sep 14 with 1684 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 12:39 - Sep 14 by fitzochris

Denly looks much more like an opener this innings. He obviously wanted out in the first to get to the hospital for the birth of his second child :)

Burns has done enough to get a decent run as opener now, and Denly is getting there, although i'd prefer him at three with Root back to four

The thing is, apart from touring Australia, they won't find batting against a relentless attack like the Aussies pretty much anywhere else

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes thread on 12:02 - Sep 15 with 1552 viewsDaley_Lama

Ashes thread on 12:31 - Sep 13 by Daley_Lama

Openers both out
Saffer and Smiffer both in

All just a little bit of history repeating.

ps. Warner did not look like he hit it, no matter what snicko said.

Ad infinitum.

Ps. Warner definitely hit that one.

Poll: DF in or out

Ashes thread on 14:07 - Sep 15 with 1499 viewsD_Alien

Smith

Gone

Ashes thread on 14:28 - Sep 15 with 1469 viewsfitzochris

Ashes thread on 14:07 - Sep 15 by D_Alien

Smith

Gone

And cheaply, too.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 18:35 - Sep 15 with 1390 viewsisitme

Good and fairly comfortable win in the end for England. A series that probably raises more questions than answers.

A change in the guard at Sky as well with Gower and Botham not having their contracts renewed. Not really a fan of Gower but I like Botham and will miss his insight. Probably paying the price for being elderly, white, males.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 19:54]
Ashes thread on 18:50 - Sep 15 with 1358 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 18:35 - Sep 15 by isitme

Good and fairly comfortable win in the end for England. A series that probably raises more questions than answers.

A change in the guard at Sky as well with Gower and Botham not having their contracts renewed. Not really a fan of Gower but I like Botham and will miss his insight. Probably paying the price for being elderly, white, males.

Article in the ST today about that. There is an element of ageism, but apparently it's also about their inability to adapt to new technology required for in-play analysis

It's been an Ashes series that's lived up to the tradition; extremely hard fought, right to the very end and full of superb individual performances. People refer to hype in sport, but nobody could've predicted some of the action. Aussies edged it of course, and deserved to retain the Ashes but we've got much to build on. Archer, Curran & Burns are likely to feature for the next decade at least

Ashes thread on 18:59 - Sep 15 with 1342 viewskiwidale

Just my opinion see if you agree or not. It was A series dominated by two men Steve Smith and Ben Stokes. Australia won 2 Tests and ultimately retain the ashes the on the back of Smiths batting while England managed to a Win a test they had no right to win and stay in the series long enough to draw the series because of Stokes heroics with both Bat and ball. Australia just shaded the series and Smith just shaded the Man of the series.

This is not the time for bickering.

Ashes thread on 19:40 - Sep 15 with 1289 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 18:35 - Sep 15 by isitme

I think Botham has been enjoying his last day a bit too much...

It seems Vaughan tweeted last night about his time with Channel 5 ending, so perhaps he's moving to Sky next year.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ashes thread on 19:58 - Sep 15 with 1270 viewsisitme

Ashes thread on 19:40 - Sep 15 by TVOS1907

I think Botham has been enjoying his last day a bit too much...

It seems Vaughan tweeted last night about his time with Channel 5 ending, so perhaps he's moving to Sky next year.

I think Channel 5 has lost rights for the highlights to BBC, who will then schedule them in prime time on BBC1, especially the tour to Sri Lanka next year.

Vaughan would be a good addition, although I suspect we might see more women and more Wasim/Waqar, who were both good the last time Pakistan toured.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 20:11]
Ashes thread on 20:00 - Sep 15 with 1254 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Is Bumble David Lloyd staying with Sky? ?Personally, I will miss Gower and Beefy.

Great series, of magnificent Test Cricket. Australia just better, but England did enough to win the two tests for a draw, and could even have won the series if the rain hadn’t intervened for a draw.

Ashes thread on 20:11 - Sep 15 with 1227 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 20:00 - Sep 15 by foreverhopefulDale

Is Bumble David Lloyd staying with Sky? ?Personally, I will miss Gower and Beefy.

Great series, of magnificent Test Cricket. Australia just better, but England did enough to win the two tests for a draw, and could even have won the series if the rain hadn’t intervened for a draw.

Someone asked Bumble the very same on Twitter and he seemed to imply he was staying.

Ashes thread on 20:12 - Sep 15 with 1224 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 19:58 - Sep 15 by isitme

I think Channel 5 has lost rights for the highlights to BBC, who will then schedule them in prime time on BBC1, especially the tour to Sri Lanka next year.

Vaughan would be a good addition, although I suspect we might see more women and more Wasim/Waqar, who were both good the last time Pakistan toured.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 20:11]

Aye, just read that about the BBC, but the way I read Vaughan's tweet, it was as though he was moving elsewhere. He hasn't replied to people asking him, though.

Ashes thread on 20:22 - Sep 15 with 1208 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Ashes thread on 20:11 - Sep 15 by TVOS1907

Someone asked Bumble the very same on Twitter and he seemed to imply he was staying.

Hope so, he is so entertaining.

Ashes thread on 20:45 - Sep 15 with 1181 viewsDaley_Lama

Gower - will miss
Beefy - not so much

Really hope these two aren’t making room for Alistair Cook and his chin. Great player - boring as hell commentator.

Poll: DF in or out

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Sep 15 with 1158 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 20:45 - Sep 15 by Daley_Lama

Gower - will miss
Beefy - not so much

Really hope these two aren’t making room for Alistair Cook and his chin. Great player - boring as hell commentator.

Alastair Cook and Jimmy Hill?

Now that would be a miracle.

Ashes thread on 21:20 - Sep 15 with 1132 viewsSandyman

And Australia STILL haven't won a series on English soil since 2001.

Which will still apply in 2023.

fek you guilty cheats
Ashes thread on 21:22 - Sep 15 with 1127 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 20:45 - Sep 15 by Daley_Lama

Gower - will miss
Beefy - not so much

Agreed

He can't write an interesting sentence in his newspaper column(s) either

Needs to seriously think about whether he's cut out to be a journo/commentator. You need to be able to speak your mind, and he's just too polite

Ashes thread on 03:35 - Sep 16 with 1019 viewspioneer

Ashes thread on 18:59 - Sep 15 by kiwidale

Just my opinion see if you agree or not. It was A series dominated by two men Steve Smith and Ben Stokes. Australia won 2 Tests and ultimately retain the ashes the on the back of Smiths batting while England managed to a Win a test they had no right to win and stay in the series long enough to draw the series because of Stokes heroics with both Bat and ball. Australia just shaded the series and Smith just shaded the Man of the series.

I think you could add Chris Broad into the names of who dominated. He produced his very best at times that mattered after looking like he might be past his best earlier in the year.

That batting line up still has me worried.
Ashes thread on 08:20 - Sep 16 with 925 viewsSheffdale

Ashes thread on 03:35 - Sep 16 by pioneer

I think you could add Chris Broad into the names of who dominated. He produced his very best at times that mattered after looking like he might be past his best earlier in the year.

That batting line up still has me worried.

Giving your age away with that one. I often call him Chris too!
Ashes thread on 09:23 - Sep 16 with 890 viewspioneer

Ashes thread on 08:20 - Sep 16 by Sheffdale

Giving your age away with that one. I often call him Chris too!

Oops! Well Chris also had a mighty series against the convicts too. Hope theres a son (or grandson) or two to continue the dynasty.
Ashes thread on 11:50 - Sep 16 with 833 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 09:23 - Sep 16 by pioneer

Oops! Well Chris also had a mighty series against the convicts too. Hope theres a son (or grandson) or two to continue the dynasty.

Women's cricket has a much higher profile these days - but a men's team full of Broads?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024