Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 10:37 - Aug 1 with 28183 viewsSandyman

Convicts win the toss and bat.
Ashes thread on 12:58 - Aug 23 with 1969 viewsEllDale

Rip up those lucrative central contracts and send them all back to their counties.
Learn the basics again.
if I was as bad at my job I would be out of work by teatime today.
Ashes thread on 13:10 - Aug 23 with 1930 viewskiwidale

Ashes thread on 12:58 - Aug 23 by EllDale

Rip up those lucrative central contracts and send them all back to their counties.
Learn the basics again.

If you do get sacked are you available for the 4th test?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 13:11]

This is not the time for bickering.

Ashes thread on 13:14 - Aug 23 with 1909 viewsEllDale

Already got a ticket for the second day.....
Ashes thread on 13:21 - Aug 23 with 1888 views49thseason

Test matches have become unwatchable. These so-called cricketers are basicly sloggers. They simply do not have the patience, technique orapplication for 5 day matches. The building of an innings is a lost art. The five day game will be finished if these batsmen continue to play limited overs slogathon cricket.
Ashes thread on 13:33 - Aug 23 with 1860 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 13:14 - Aug 23 by EllDale

Already got a ticket for the second day.....

Why aren't you there then?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ashes thread on 13:34 - Aug 23 with 1858 viewskiwidale

somebody just tweeted "What odds on losing a wicket during lunch?" just about sums it up really.

This is not the time for bickering.

Ashes thread on 13:38 - Aug 23 with 1840 viewsEllDale

I was asked if I would be available for the fourth test.
That's the game I have a ticket for.
Ashes thread on 13:48 - Aug 23 with 1819 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 13:38 - Aug 23 by EllDale

I was asked if I would be available for the fourth test.
That's the game I have a ticket for.

Oh. Apologies.

If you hit the speech bubble with the speech marks rather than the plus sign, we'll know which post you're replying to.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 14:09 - Aug 23 with 1784 viewsD_Alien

Okay, so if England can limit the Aussies to around 180 in the second innings and have to chase less than 300, i reckon we'll get them!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes thread on 14:12 - Aug 23 with 1773 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes thread on 19:51 - Aug 22 by Nigeriamark

Extras third top scorer with 13 !!

Only 1 partnership otherwise it could have been all out for less than 100. Warner rode his luck early on

If the sun cracks the flags tomorrow we need to get to 300 ( although I would take 250). Time for our top 4 to fire & try to reach parity with no more than 4 down

Teach me not to laugh at other's misfortune. Our highest score was 12!!!!
Ashes thread on 14:24 - Aug 23 with 1748 viewsfitzochris

Ashes thread on 14:12 - Aug 23 by Nigeriamark

Teach me not to laugh at other's misfortune. Our highest score was 12!!!!

The Ashes should mark the death of batting henceforth.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 14:42]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ashes thread on 14:24 - Aug 23 with 1748 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 14:09 - Aug 23 by D_Alien

Okay, so if England can limit the Aussies to around 180 in the second innings and have to chase less than 300, i reckon we'll get them!

Well we've got one out...

Ashes thread on 15:22 - Aug 23 with 1697 viewsEllDale

I'm glad I haven't got a ticket for the last couple of days of this one. It could be all over in three days.
Ashes thread on 15:41 - Aug 23 with 1673 viewsdingdangblue

Ashes thread on 12:58 - Aug 23 by EllDale

Learn the basics again.

They aren't bad. They've just won the World Cup. The problem is not many players want to bat for a day anymore. The Aussies were just as bad yesterday but managed 1 partnership which is the difference between the scores. Same with the first 2 games, take Steve Smith out of their team and England are 2 up. Batsman are training to hit nearly every ball these days, no patience for long innings.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Ashes thread on 16:33 - Aug 23 with 1623 viewsmingthemerciless

We had a fantastic chance to get a big score today and bowl them out again. We could have evened the series and grabbed back the momentum. Instead we bottled it as usual.
Ashes thread on 17:50 - Aug 23 with 1579 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Ashes thread on 16:33 - Aug 23 by mingthemerciless

We had a fantastic chance to get a big score today and bowl them out again. We could have evened the series and grabbed back the momentum. Instead we bottled it as usual.

Utterly shite. Shots played were appalling and other than root they got themselves out.

How anyone can think Roy can open is ridiculous, at 5 ok, but we need someone who can get 11 unbeaten at lunch, we don’t have an atherton, boycott etc any more.

There is merits in opening with a tail ender and saying just block the stumps, don’t play a shot, and hope they see off a dozen plus overs!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Ashes thread on 02:00 - Aug 24 with 1491 viewspioneer

Ashes thread on 15:41 - Aug 23 by dingdangblue

They aren't bad. They've just won the World Cup. The problem is not many players want to bat for a day anymore. The Aussies were just as bad yesterday but managed 1 partnership which is the difference between the scores. Same with the first 2 games, take Steve Smith out of their team and England are 2 up. Batsman are training to hit nearly every ball these days, no patience for long innings.

They aren’t’ bad? That’s like saying bury aren’t skint.

They are bloody awful....setting records for all time futility.

Yes they won the beer and skittles, despite losing to all sorts and a quirky decision in the final that has since been acknowledged to have been an error.

They are consistently failing to get even reasonable scores.

Time to burn some more bails.
Ashes thread on 10:37 - Aug 24 with 1404 viewsisitme

I think we need a batting rebuild of at least one opener and a number three. Root needs to drop back down to four. Roy is not a test player, Denly is not up to it and too old for him to learn on the job. Buttler is also not really contributing down the order.

The top seven has too many question marks in the intermediate term. Even Burns has not entirely convinced. Could Curran focus more on batting and slot in at 6/7? Is Pope's game any more developed than last time round, although he is really a 5/6 where we are well stocked. Hain has promise but can he bat three? Sibley and Crawley are promising openers. Banton has done well at Somerset but is his game suited to test match cricket or is he another limited overs dasher? Apart from these you have a list of late 20s/early thirties retreds such as Robson, Vince etc who haven't been good enough in the past. I think it might be better to bloody a group of youngsters and give them time eventhough results might suffer in the short term?
Ashes thread on 11:39 - Aug 24 with 1348 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 10:37 - Aug 24 by isitme

I think we need a batting rebuild of at least one opener and a number three. Root needs to drop back down to four. Roy is not a test player, Denly is not up to it and too old for him to learn on the job. Buttler is also not really contributing down the order.

The top seven has too many question marks in the intermediate term. Even Burns has not entirely convinced. Could Curran focus more on batting and slot in at 6/7? Is Pope's game any more developed than last time round, although he is really a 5/6 where we are well stocked. Hain has promise but can he bat three? Sibley and Crawley are promising openers. Banton has done well at Somerset but is his game suited to test match cricket or is he another limited overs dasher? Apart from these you have a list of late 20s/early thirties retreds such as Robson, Vince etc who haven't been good enough in the past. I think it might be better to bloody a group of youngsters and give them time eventhough results might suffer in the short term?

Nice to see a constructive post on the situation.

Ashes thread on 11:57 - Aug 24 with 1319 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Even our so called best batter , Root, very rarely scores a match winning innings.
Lack of technique, application, concentration, all are qualities that are sadly missing from our batting line up. Where are our Atherton, Boycott, or Gooch types who can pile on the runs while grinding down the opposition fast bowlers, rather than grinding down our own bowlers, due to not having enough rest?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Ashes thread on 12:19 - Aug 24 with 1289 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 11:57 - Aug 24 by foreverhopefulDale

Even our so called best batter , Root, very rarely scores a match winning innings.
Lack of technique, application, concentration, all are qualities that are sadly missing from our batting line up. Where are our Atherton, Boycott, or Gooch types who can pile on the runs while grinding down the opposition fast bowlers, rather than grinding down our own bowlers, due to not having enough rest?

It's a different environment to the one in which those players you quote were brought up in, with the focus on being able to score runs rather than defend

Yes, we still have the county championship and the divisional split has made it more competitive, but the ECB have marginalised it so that there's rarely a flow of games for players to truly find form before having to switch to a different format

It's no good saying lets pick someone else - pissing in the wind. It's the structure and focus from the very top that needs to change before the system starts to produce the type of top order players we need on a consistent basis. perhaps now we've got the WC monkey off our backs, it just might - but then the financial side comes into play in terms of attendance at shorter forms of cricket. Ultimately though, it's test cricket that defines careers; we just need leadership to bring forward a new generation

Edit: and i'm sure Root will come good again, batting at 4 and perhaps relieved of the captaincy

[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 12:22]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes thread on 12:59 - Aug 25 with 1124 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Ashes thread on 12:19 - Aug 24 by D_Alien

It's a different environment to the one in which those players you quote were brought up in, with the focus on being able to score runs rather than defend

Yes, we still have the county championship and the divisional split has made it more competitive, but the ECB have marginalised it so that there's rarely a flow of games for players to truly find form before having to switch to a different format

It's no good saying lets pick someone else - pissing in the wind. It's the structure and focus from the very top that needs to change before the system starts to produce the type of top order players we need on a consistent basis. perhaps now we've got the WC monkey off our backs, it just might - but then the financial side comes into play in terms of attendance at shorter forms of cricket. Ultimately though, it's test cricket that defines careers; we just need leadership to bring forward a new generation

Edit: and i'm sure Root will come good again, batting at 4 and perhaps relieved of the captaincy

[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 12:22]

Much of what you say is right, however the Steve Smith replacement guy has just come from the County Championship. I still think individual application is the key, some have it, some don’t.

Stokes showing plenty of the right stuff at the moment, as did Root, until he got out. Root, needs to be able to concentrate on his batting, and start scoring centuries like the Steve Smiths and other top batters do.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Ashes thread on 13:08 - Aug 25 with 1114 viewsmacro

This series was always going to be a struggle all the preparation for the World Cup has meant England are undercooked when it comes to tests. I know some of the Aussies played in the WC but others got their eyes in playing County Cricket. Saying that at least resilience being shown today
Ashes thread on 13:40 - Aug 25 with 1073 viewsfitzochris

Ashes thread on 13:08 - Aug 25 by macro

This series was always going to be a struggle all the preparation for the World Cup has meant England are undercooked when it comes to tests. I know some of the Aussies played in the WC but others got their eyes in playing County Cricket. Saying that at least resilience being shown today

Problem is, the ECB, in my opinion, doesn’t rate county cricket anymore (the schedule for 2020 backs that up) and this 100 big bash competition looks like more quick gratification for both a young market and the coffers.

Still, we may just pull this off today/tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ashes thread on 14:43 - Aug 25 with 1048 viewsisitme

Ashes thread on 13:40 - Aug 25 by fitzochris

Problem is, the ECB, in my opinion, doesn’t rate county cricket anymore (the schedule for 2020 backs that up) and this 100 big bash competition looks like more quick gratification for both a young market and the coffers.

Still, we may just pull this off today/tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Not with three gift wickets this afternoon we won't!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024