Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 10:37 - Aug 1 with 27918 viewsSandyman

Convicts win the toss and bat.
Ashes thread on 23:36 - Sep 5 with 1896 viewskiwidale

Three days left with some rain expected the Aussies wont need to bat again means England may have to bat more than two days for a draw, chances none.

This is not the time for bickering.

Ashes thread on 07:36 - Sep 6 with 1837 viewsEllDale

Really enjoyed my day at the Test.
Total admiration for the way in which Smith has rescued his career.
So single minded. Almost Boycott-esque.
Ashes thread on 16:27 - Sep 6 with 1740 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes thread on 07:36 - Sep 6 by EllDale

Really enjoyed my day at the Test.
Total admiration for the way in which Smith has rescued his career.
So single minded. Almost Boycott-esque.

First good session England have had this match. Will be good if both of these guys can get a century, and we certainly need to be batting tomorrow.

Is the follow on still 200 or did it get reduced to 150 as per the county championship?
Ashes thread on 16:38 - Sep 6 with 1726 viewsfitzochris

Tea break perfectly timed to see Malinga take four wickets in four balls!

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ashes thread on 16:51 - Sep 6 with 1695 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 16:27 - Sep 6 by Nigeriamark

First good session England have had this match. Will be good if both of these guys can get a century, and we certainly need to be batting tomorrow.

Is the follow on still 200 or did it get reduced to 150 as per the county championship?

If it's a five day game (i.e. a test match) the follow on is 200

The follow on was reduced to 150 during the Lord's test because a full day's play was lost, making it effectively a four day game. I think it has to be a full day, not just a combination of stoppages that might add up to a full day

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes thread on 18:58 - Sep 6 with 1638 viewsJames1980

A mate just commented that a few balls after Roy was out to a pace bowler. A light reading is taken and the umpires decided it's time to go off.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Ashes thread on 22:29 - Sep 6 with 1583 viewskiwidale

Much now depends on whether England can bat beep into day 4 the morning session will be key, with a new ball due in 6 overs If we succumb early the Aussies will enforce the follow on and win possibly with a day to spare. The late wickets hurt and the chances of a draw are still very very slim however we are still alive, will the Aussies enforce a follow on if the target is less than 250? remember they do not have to win this or the 5th test to retain the ashes. I don't expect a follow on they don't need to do that that I expect England will be asked to chase 350 plus with a day plus a session to do it.

[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 22:34]

Ashes thread on 22:34 - Sep 6 with 1566 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 22:29 - Sep 6 by kiwidale

Much now depends on whether England can bat beep into day 4 the morning session will be key, with a new ball due in 6 overs If we succumb early the Aussies will enforce the follow on and win possibly with a day to spare. The late wickets hurt and the chances of a draw are still very very slim however we are still alive, will the Aussies enforce a follow on if the target is less than 250? remember they do not have to win this or the 5th test to retain the ashes. I don't expect a follow on they don't need to do that that I expect England will be asked to chase 350 plus with a day plus a session to do it.

[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 22:34]

With the weather set fair for the weekend, they almost certainly won't enforce the follow on, and risk having to chase a target after winning the toss

We usually bat beep* which is why Stokes' innings at Headingley was so exceptional

the first hour tomorrow will determine whether we stay in the hunt for the Ashes

*expletive deleted

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 22:37 - Sep 6 with 1563 viewskiwidale

Ashes thread on 22:34 - Sep 6 by D_Alien

With the weather set fair for the weekend, they almost certainly won't enforce the follow on, and risk having to chase a target after winning the toss

We usually bat beep* which is why Stokes' innings at Headingley was so exceptional

the first hour tomorrow will determine whether we stay in the hunt for the Ashes

*expletive deleted

I edited my post before reading your reply I agree with you.

Ashes thread on 13:42 - Sep 7 with 1420 viewskiwidale

If England can get another 150 extras we are still in this game.

Ashes thread on 13:42 - Sep 7 with 1411 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 13:42 - Sep 7 by kiwidale

If England can get another 150 extras we are still in this game.

I don't think the rules allow that many additional batsmen in a lineup

Ashes thread on 14:19 - Sep 7 with 1385 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Yet again as a unit our top order collectively fail, and our best batsman Root fails to get the century required. Root so good at getting 50s but, not at match winning or saving centuries.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Ashes thread on 14:21 - Sep 7 with 1383 viewsfitzochris

At least we’ve avoided the follow on. We needed something to cheer, no matter how pathetic.

Ashes thread on 14:32 - Sep 7 with 1373 viewsmingthemerciless

I can't see it making a lot of difference. They'll throw the bat for the rest of the day then give us the last 1/2 hr or so tonight and all tomorrow. What's the weather forecast for tomorrow ? The art of grinding the bowling down doesn't exist any more in English cricket, we either get quick runs or get out.
Ashes thread on 16:59 - Sep 7 with 1324 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes thread on 14:32 - Sep 7 by mingthemerciless

I can't see it making a lot of difference. They'll throw the bat for the rest of the day then give us the last 1/2 hr or so tonight and all tomorrow. What's the weather forecast for tomorrow ? The art of grinding the bowling down doesn't exist any more in English cricket, we either get quick runs or get out.

There was a little bit of hope when they wen't 4 down, then Guess Who slams the door in our face !!!

Probably need to survive 3 and a bit sessions and hope Lyon bowls as badly in the second innings as the first.

Or Rain
Ashes thread on 19:17 - Sep 7 with 1263 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes thread on 16:59 - Sep 7 by Nigeriamark

There was a little bit of hope when they wen't 4 down, then Guess Who slams the door in our face !!!

Probably need to survive 3 and a bit sessions and hope Lyon bowls as badly in the second innings as the first.

Or Rain

Good one to win from here !!!
Ashes thread on 19:47 - Sep 7 with 1232 viewsJames1980

Ashes thread on 19:17 - Sep 7 by Nigeriamark

Good one to win from here !!!

More chance of Sunningdale buying me a pint than England saving this test

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Ashes thread on 16:29 - Sep 8 with 1110 viewsmoth5368

Anyone beginning to believe we can draw this?
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 16:30]
Ashes thread on 16:36 - Sep 8 with 1103 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes thread on 16:29 - Sep 8 by moth5368

Anyone beginning to believe we can draw this?
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 16:30]

Ask us again in an hour...

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Ashes thread on 16:38 - Sep 8 with 1099 viewsD_Alien

New ball due in 10 overs

If this pair are still together 10 overs after that...

Ashes thread on 16:51 - Sep 8 with 1075 viewsfitzochris

Ashes thread on 16:38 - Sep 8 by D_Alien

New ball due in 10 overs

If this pair are still together 10 overs after that...

:(

Ashes thread on 16:52 - Sep 8 with 1068 viewsD_Alien

Ashes thread on 16:51 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

:(

Aye, Hazlewood was making the old ball talk

[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 16:53]

Ashes thread on 18:37 - Sep 8 with 994 viewsrich_dale

Ashes thread on 16:52 - Sep 8 by D_Alien

Aye, Hazlewood was making the old ball talk

[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 16:53]

After they got it changed!
Ashes thread on 19:55 - Sep 8 with 912 viewsfitzochris

It’s a fair result and we can have no complaints. For all the talk of Smith, he was backed up when it mattered where we had nobody capable of hanging around to build a threatening score.

Tailenders blocking at both ends has a certain drama, I guess, but when you know the runs are irrelevant you feel any positive outcome would be undeserved. It was never going to be a Stokesesque finale.

Australia’s rotating attack has been superior to ours, too. Archer is new and therefore hot and cold, leaving Broad to be our only consistent threat. Anderson’s injury has been keenly felt.

While the Ashes are gone, hopefully we can stop the Aussies claiming a series win at the Oval.

Ashes thread on 20:44 - Sep 8 with 850 viewsrich_dale

Ashes thread on 19:55 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

It’s a fair result and we can have no complaints. For all the talk of Smith, he was backed up when it mattered where we had nobody capable of hanging around to build a threatening score.

Tailenders blocking at both ends has a certain drama, I guess, but when you know the runs are irrelevant you feel any positive outcome would be undeserved. It was never going to be a Stokesesque finale.

Australia’s rotating attack has been superior to ours, too. Archer is new and therefore hot and cold, leaving Broad to be our only consistent threat. Anderson’s injury has been keenly felt.

While the Ashes are gone, hopefully we can stop the Aussies claiming a series win at the Oval.

Good summary. We need to find some new batting talent that can deliver at this level, Cook's absence still being felt, as much as Anderson's was in this series. Also a chance to shake up the coaching staff now and selectors.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024