Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL - step up to the plate 09:58 - Aug 28 with 1294 viewsjonahwhereru

The EFL used to by a gentleman’s club run for gentlemen with clubs.
However the commercials have changed dramatically over the years, and the governing body has been critically lacking in vision and leadership in the administration of the game.
To assist in restoring the reputation of the league they need to take drastic in house action. I think they now need to have an EFL appointed individual in a non decision making role on every board. With responsibility for approving any documentation produced by the boards.
Financing of such a scheme would need to be sorted, but it may be membership fees where it comes from. I do not see a conflict with an individual being on more than 1 board, especially if clubs are in different divisions.
Unless they do something radical to get behind closed doors of poorly run clubs the league will loose all credibility. The p-ss poor management of numerous clubs has culminated in the worst season I can remember for the stock of football clubs, and particularly the owners.
Something has to change.
EFL - step up to the plate on 10:22 - Aug 28 with 1219 viewsisitme

Or radically clubs could not overspend!

In all seriousness the so called wage cap should be strictly enforced with significant points deductions for breeches and relegation for repeat offenders.
EFL - step up to the plate on 10:56 - Aug 28 with 1132 viewsboromat

I think a wage cap on the EFL leagues would be a great step forward and may cause the premier league a few issues.

It may mean the championship struggle to bring in the calibre of players it currently does but it wouldn't be any less of a competition and young British players would get more of a chance.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

EFL - step up to the plate on 11:00 - Aug 28 with 1114 viewstony_roch975

Agree, but aren't wages only part of solvency issue - ground ownership/mortage asset stripping (as with Bury) not as easy to control?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

EFL - step up to the plate on 11:12 - Aug 28 with 1076 viewsboromat

EFL - step up to the plate on 11:00 - Aug 28 by tony_roch975

Agree, but aren't wages only part of solvency issue - ground ownership/mortage asset stripping (as with Bury) not as easy to control?

Yeah that's more difficult. I'm not that well up on how best to combat that. Either a government body that oversees the running of football clubs or maybe a strategy to increase % ownership by fans and supporter trusts.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

EFL - step up to the plate on 11:23 - Aug 28 with 1039 viewsD_Alien

EFL - step up to the plate on 11:12 - Aug 28 by boromat

Yeah that's more difficult. I'm not that well up on how best to combat that. Either a government body that oversees the running of football clubs or maybe a strategy to increase % ownership by fans and supporter trusts.

Absolutely the latter

Football clubs were formed for the entertainment and edification of the masses at local level, but have become (to an unsustainable degree) the playthings of chancers and crooks

A move by the EFL to require all their clubs to have a significant percentage of shares in the hands of trusts would be a very positive outcome of recent events; a percentage that'd ensure that nothing of the kind could ever happen again. That wouldn't necessarily stop clubs from going to the wall, but that'd only happen through inadequacy on the football field rather than financial manipulation

I guess the problem might arise where an EFL club were promoted to the Premier League, but there's always ways and means with sufficient creative thinking

That'd be bringing the game back to the fans, in the way it was always meant to be

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

EFL - step up to the plate on 11:49 - Aug 28 with 946 viewsheywooddale

The fit and proper person's test will never have the power to properly investigate potential owner if they are smart enough, Notts County and Munto proved that years ago. The level of access required for a property investigation probably only lies within the power of the police or the goverment to be fair. Plus it can't speak to intent of an owner, I'd hazard a guess Day look reasonably safe on paper at the point of purchasing Bury, no real way to tell at that point exactly how much of a car crash he was going to turn them into.

I'm not sure the exact answer but i think penalties such as deduction need to come in well before CVA's and administration are on the horizon at that point it's already too late. The EFL needs to find a way to disuade owners from the type of behaviour that gets clubs in trouble very early on. By the time the -12 point is applicable most owners are likely to cut their losses and run. Leaving the mess for other.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024