Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just how well are Dale doing? 11:36 - Aug 30 with 3031 viewschalky_ncfc

I've been posting on here a fair few years now and wondered if these last few seasons are the best that Rochdale AFC have experienced,there was some flirting with promotion not long back and who can forget when you just escaped relegation in the final seconds of the season,you've made the news from the state of your pitch to financing Spanish Dale to watch you play,taking on Spurs home and away and arguably a bigger game yet to come against Utd,your finances look stable and for a small club you seem to be holding your own in League One,other clubs who you have had grievances with in the past have been relegated to non league or finished completely,have Dale had a better feel good period in football than this in the past?

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Just how well are Dale doing? on 11:42 - Aug 30 with 3002 viewsCockneyDale

There are certainly many reasons to be proud of the club's achievements. But the minute you rest on your laurels...
Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:22 - Aug 30 with 2892 viewsD_Alien

Not better, but the period 1968-1972 was probably on a par, before we lost the plot

We did so again in 2012, and were in grave danger up to around February this year

Still early doors with BBM, but the signs are very promising. As has rightly been said, laurels are not to be rested upon

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:27 - Sep 2 with 2541 viewsaleanddale

Lessons learned from the past and from the plight of others who have tried doing things in a more gung ho fashion.

The reality is the last 6 years is up there as the best ever in terms of recent history.

Back further than 1980 I have no idea but the difference between 1980 and now although only 40 years it might as well be 100 its immeasurable.

Long may it continue.
Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:45 - Sep 2 with 2475 viewswimborne_dale

Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:22 - Aug 30 by D_Alien

Not better, but the period 1968-1972 was probably on a par, before we lost the plot

We did so again in 2012, and were in grave danger up to around February this year

Still early doors with BBM, but the signs are very promising. As has rightly been said, laurels are not to be rested upon

So what are laurels for?

Edgar Allan's Crow

Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:57 - Sep 2 with 2433 viewsMolly

Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:45 - Sep 2 by wimborne_dale

So what are laurels for?

To team up with Hardy
Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:57 - Sep 2 with 2433 viewsD_Alien

Just how well are Dale doing? on 12:45 - Sep 2 by wimborne_dale

So what are laurels for?

A living example occurred when i visited Venice with my other half in April 2018

We were lucky in that it was graduation day for students at Venice University, and very much added to the atmosphere in the city. The students were all wearing laurels on their heads - wreaths, but not in the usual funereal sense we attach to them - but rather as a signifier of success in their studies. It's an ancient signifier of success, but rather than "rest" on that achievement it should be a stepping stone to future progress

But i'm sure you knew that...

Just how well are Dale doing? on 13:02 - Sep 2 with 2400 viewsMolly

Similarly when Cambridge University have their inter college rowing races any crew who beat 3 of their opponents' rowing 8s will row back up river allowed to wear laurel wreaths. A sign of achievement.
Just how well are Dale doing? on 13:12 - Sep 2 with 2358 viewsAussieDale

And yet.....despite season ticket prices being probably the lowest in all divisions, local support is still poor and, judging by the general tenor of this board, a high percentage of those that do go seem to be motivated by a desire to complain than to praise. If this seasons displays, particularly last Saturdays unbelievable performance at Southend, doesn't raise the level of local interest you'd wonder what it would take.
Login to get fewer ads

Just how well are Dale doing? on 13:20 - Sep 2 with 2336 viewsD_Alien

Just how well are Dale doing? on 13:12 - Sep 2 by AussieDale

And yet.....despite season ticket prices being probably the lowest in all divisions, local support is still poor and, judging by the general tenor of this board, a high percentage of those that do go seem to be motivated by a desire to complain than to praise. If this seasons displays, particularly last Saturdays unbelievable performance at Southend, doesn't raise the level of local interest you'd wonder what it would take.

I think we all know what you're saying AD, and it's a very old point of debate: but if someone hasn't been brought up to watch football live (as the majority in Rochdale, for various reasons, haven't) it's a very difficult ask. Having a pay-on-the-day policy which actively discourages potential curious punters doesn't help either

Just how well are Dale doing? on 14:40 - Sep 2 with 2201 viewsaleanddale

Just how well are Dale doing? on 13:20 - Sep 2 by D_Alien

I think we all know what you're saying AD, and it's a very old point of debate: but if someone hasn't been brought up to watch football live (as the majority in Rochdale, for various reasons, haven't) it's a very difficult ask. Having a pay-on-the-day policy which actively discourages potential curious punters doesn't help either

The pay on the day policy is a bloody embarrassment!

I had a mate bring his 3 year old to the Doncaster game and he could not believe the on the day prices. They actually enjoyed the game but just will not be coming again as he feels ripped off.

That's a floater and a 3 year old turned right off and they will not be the only ones.
Just how well are Dale doing? on 16:27 - Sep 2 with 2025 viewsJames1980

Recall something from A'Level economics many years ago to do with price elasticity. Perhaps demand for match tickets for Rochdale home games is inelastic ie a reduction in price won't lead to a vast increase in tickets sold and an increase won't lead to many of those that were planning to come no longer attending. Hence the current pricing policy.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Just how well are Dale doing? on 16:54 - Sep 2 with 1943 viewsblackdogblue

Better than County have been doing so fook off 😀😀

On a serious note though Chalky, agree with what others are saying, we are playing a lot better now the tombola machine is at Bolton. BBM has steadied the team & not massive changes week in week out.

After last season, I know how Bolton fans feel as we got thumped week in week out & had the worst goal difference at one point...

We’re never going to win the Premiership unless I win the Euro million lottery, but a go at promotion / play offs would give us something to aim for without breaking the bank. Else it’s just mid table security in League 1. Win or lose, as long as the pride is there at the club, will still turn up & moan about the pies & the smoking ban at half time 😀😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Just how well are Dale doing? on 17:05 - Sep 2 with 1910 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Just how well are Dale doing? on 16:54 - Sep 2 by blackdogblue

Better than County have been doing so fook off 😀😀

On a serious note though Chalky, agree with what others are saying, we are playing a lot better now the tombola machine is at Bolton. BBM has steadied the team & not massive changes week in week out.

After last season, I know how Bolton fans feel as we got thumped week in week out & had the worst goal difference at one point...

We’re never going to win the Premiership unless I win the Euro million lottery, but a go at promotion / play offs would give us something to aim for without breaking the bank. Else it’s just mid table security in League 1. Win or lose, as long as the pride is there at the club, will still turn up & moan about the pies & the smoking ban at half time 😀😀

Just watch the you tube goals chalky on the Southend thread, they make the hairs on your neck stand up!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Just how well are Dale doing? on 17:56 - Sep 2 with 1817 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Yes we are doing REALLY well at the moment......but we are all aware things can go south at any time.....as always we want to get to 50 points (we may need less) as soon as possible and then we can enjoy the bonus thereafter.
It's how it works..it's the Rochdale Way.......no bigheads here. But we do have a well-drilled and fit squad who are playing for the team and we hope it continues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024