Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chesterfield? 12:10 - Sep 12 with 3439 viewsCleedale

Sort of guessed that Chesterfield were having a rough time in the Conference but never realised they were already 5 points adrift at the very bottom.

Not so many years ago didn't they build a new all-purpose stadium that was supposedly self-financing and was at the cutting edge of the way lower league (and other) footie clubs were hoping to go in that it could be used for other stuff. ie. Not closed for 13 days in every fortnight.

Always saw them as generally having bigger support than us but does anyone know how/why this has come about? What's gone wrong? Is it ownership, bad management. I enjoyed away days at their old ground but is the £14M alleged regeneration being mooted for us part of a similar pathway? Worrying.
Chesterfield? on 12:23 - Sep 12 with 3361 viewsSuddenLad

I'm surprised how quickly they have plummeted to the depths of the Conference. I thought their move from Saltergate was the beginning of a renaissance for them and they had a decent team and provided good opposition for a few seasons.

That all seems a distant memory now and they are in danger of falling even further down the ladder, which is unthinkable. I haven't read anything that suggests they are in serious financial trouble, but they have been hiring and firing managers with unhealthy regularity over he last couple of years. That can't have helped, but really doesn't explain their massive drop in form.

As for the £14 million 'regeneration', there are and will be people watching like hawks to check and counter-check that there is no risk to the future of the club. That's for certain.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Chesterfield? on 13:07 - Sep 12 with 3219 views1907

They even made it into the League One play offs one year
Chesterfield? on 13:09 - Sep 12 with 3215 viewsheywooddale

Chesterfield? on 12:23 - Sep 12 by SuddenLad

I'm surprised how quickly they have plummeted to the depths of the Conference. I thought their move from Saltergate was the beginning of a renaissance for them and they had a decent team and provided good opposition for a few seasons.

That all seems a distant memory now and they are in danger of falling even further down the ladder, which is unthinkable. I haven't read anything that suggests they are in serious financial trouble, but they have been hiring and firing managers with unhealthy regularity over he last couple of years. That can't have helped, but really doesn't explain their massive drop in form.

As for the £14 million 'regeneration', there are and will be people watching like hawks to check and counter-check that there is no risk to the future of the club. That's for certain.

£14 Million 'regeneration? What is that in reference to? Missed that one? Anyone enlighten me?
Chesterfield? on 13:15 - Sep 12 with 3185 viewsAncoats_Blue

They have a lot of debt although as I understand it a lot is owed to their (now-ex?) chairman I think they issues lay in spending a lot in an attempt to get into the champsionship and failing to do this.
Like Bury they have a history of financial incompetence in my eyes.
I've always liked my trips there and it's probably my most visited away fixture after Bury so hope they re appear in the league one day.
Chesterfield? on 13:18 - Sep 12 with 3177 viewsSuddenLad

Chesterfield? on 13:09 - Sep 12 by heywooddale

£14 Million 'regeneration? What is that in reference to? Missed that one? Anyone enlighten me?

Are we for sale at £14m? by Dalenet 15 Aug 2019 8:07
https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/toy-industry-veteran-who-became-16741847

This article is a good read on the vision set out by David Bottomley. Can't work out whether we are trying to get somebody to buy the club for £14m or whether they are seeking further investment of £8m to build the wider facilities that we need.

The numbers are clearly specific so there must be plans costed to build out the facilities. Was anything shared at the AGM?

[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 13:19]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Chesterfield? on 13:20 - Sep 12 with 3164 viewsheywooddale

Chesterfield? on 13:18 - Sep 12 by SuddenLad

Are we for sale at £14m? by Dalenet 15 Aug 2019 8:07
https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/toy-industry-veteran-who-became-16741847

This article is a good read on the vision set out by David Bottomley. Can't work out whether we are trying to get somebody to buy the club for £14m or whether they are seeking further investment of £8m to build the wider facilities that we need.

The numbers are clearly specific so there must be plans costed to build out the facilities. Was anything shared at the AGM?

[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 13:19]

Thanks
Chesterfield? on 13:59 - Sep 12 with 3050 viewsDaley_Lama

Chesterfield? on 13:20 - Sep 12 by heywooddale

Thanks

Cheats never prosper.

Poll: DF in or out

Chesterfield? on 15:48 - Sep 12 with 2878 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Chesterfield? on 13:59 - Sep 12 by Daley_Lama

Cheats never prosper.

Seem to remember years back rumours about bungs and one of their players blowing the whistle on them when they went up, he went to Carlisle and was welcomed with “one grassing bastard” chant from the sandy.

Think they went up as champions season before and seem to remember a fair bit of resentment from us and a few other clubs, if anyone can add more details would be nice.

Always found them a good bunch (unlike Mansfield) both home and away and the social club was great for banter, no issues ever getting in even in Dale colours.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Login to get fewer ads

Chesterfield? on 16:06 - Sep 12 with 2832 viewsboromat

Chesterfield? on 15:48 - Sep 12 by Thacks_Rabbits

Seem to remember years back rumours about bungs and one of their players blowing the whistle on them when they went up, he went to Carlisle and was welcomed with “one grassing bastard” chant from the sandy.

Think they went up as champions season before and seem to remember a fair bit of resentment from us and a few other clubs, if anyone can add more details would be nice.

Always found them a good bunch (unlike Mansfield) both home and away and the social club was great for banter, no issues ever getting in even in Dale colours.

From memory the amount of points deducted meant they still went up. If more points would have been deducted we could have had a shot in the play offs.

My memory isn't great though 🙈

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Chesterfield? on 16:12 - Sep 12 with 2814 viewsAncoats_Blue

Chesterfield? on 15:48 - Sep 12 by Thacks_Rabbits

Tbf they play in the same colours. But yeah, their fans always seem a good bunch.
Chesterfield? on 16:56 - Sep 12 with 2727 viewsEllDale

I think the season in question was 2000/2001.
I also believe that their chairman at the time was called Darren Brown who down for various financial scams.
They certainly assembled a good side which ran away with the league but they were all allegedly getting "bungs" which explains how they managed to attract such a calibre of player.
From memory goalkeeper Mike Porritt was one and striker Luke Beckett another.
I'm sure that when Porritt came back to Spotland some of the fans in the Sandy were waving brown paypackets at him.
Like you say even with a ten point deduction they still went up.
Chesterfield? on 17:06 - Sep 12 with 2702 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Chesterfield? on 16:56 - Sep 12 by EllDale

I also believe that their chairman at the time was called Darren Brown who down for various financial scams.
They certainly assembled a good side which ran away with the league but they were all allegedly getting "bungs" which explains how they managed to attract such a calibre of player.
I'm sure that when Porritt came back to Spotland some of the fans in the Sandy were waving brown paypackets at him.

Pollett put the kettle on was a good chant. Did he play for (FPFCB) former professional football club bURY?

Thanks for the replies and info.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Chesterfield? on 18:44 - Sep 12 with 2557 viewsTVOS1907

Chesterfield? on 16:56 - Sep 12 by EllDale

Mike Pollitt

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Chesterfield? on 13:54 - Sep 19 with 1815 viewsregjenkins

I just resented their club sticking visitors in a corner of the ground. Shows a lack of respect for visitors.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024