Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Set up against Posh? 17:34 - Sep 13 with 1767 viewsjonahwhereru

YLast season Keith Hill deployed Ollie Rathbone in a man to man marking of Maddison in this fixture, which resulted in both having a reduced influence on the game. This season Maddison is again the heart beat of their side. Should we go with the same tactic or stick to what has been working for us this season?
For me I would go man to man on him, perhaps using Ryan instead of Rathbone, or switch the task as the game developes. It is a mark of how highly I rate the lad. Having seen Dale at Southend I would normally have said more of the same please. But nothing wrong with reusing a tactic which has worked in the past.
Views?

I am optimistic that we can get something from the game tomorrow. We always seem to perform decent their.
UTD
Set up against Posh? on 18:48 - Sep 13 with 1644 viewsKnowlesy

This did work to nullify Maddison last year but I'm sure that BBM has his own ideas about how to win the game. Hill's tenancy to change his entire philosophy game by game to counter other teams rather than play to our strengths was one of the major reasons that he failed in his last few years IMHO.

Our system seems to work, even against the better sides and we were unlucky against Sunderland. I say more of the same please.
Set up against Posh? on 21:01 - Sep 13 with 1481 viewsAncoats_Blue

Set up against Posh? on 18:48 - Sep 13 by Knowlesy

This did work to nullify Maddison last year but I'm sure that BBM has his own ideas about how to win the game. Hill's tenancy to change his entire philosophy game by game to counter other teams rather than play to our strengths was one of the major reasons that he failed in his last few years IMHO.

Our system seems to work, even against the better sides and we were unlucky against Sunderland. I say more of the same please.

Aye, why Change an effective formula. I’m looking forward to tomorrow and fairly pragmatic In that if we avoid defeat I see that as a good result away at one of the fancied sides for promotion. Hoping we kick off a tough month in good fashion.
Set up against Posh? on 21:05 - Sep 13 with 1474 viewsShun

Indeed. We’ve played really well this season playing our own brand of football, let’s not change that. The game where Rathbone shadowed Maddison for 90 minutes was a smart tactical move by Hill, but it also smacked a bit of pandering to Posh a bit too much - in a ‘we’re not going to play our own game, we’re just going to stifle your best player as much as possible’ sort of way, and it also came at a time where Posh were clearly far better than us. Now, however, after just outplaying Sunderland (albeit somehow losing) we’re a different proposition altogether.

I’m also looking forward to seeing Maddison and Camps on the same pitch, two of the best midfielders in League One.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 21:10]
Set up against Posh? on 22:12 - Sep 13 with 1374 viewsboromat

It's still early in the season so I'd go for it play our own game and see how we get on.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Set up against Posh? on 22:31 - Sep 13 with 1343 viewsD_Alien

We've attracted some significant attention for our style of play recently; deservedly so

Fans across the board (not just this one) have been giving our goal at Southend some serious kudos; the RND article adds to that and - almost unbelievably, considering where we've come from - our club is now regarded as a paragon of great footballing probity and values

Any opposition manager knows they've got their work cut out to deal with what WE'VE got. Let them do the worrying - let's just enjoy this time. We won't win every week, but bloody hell, we're winning whatever the result

[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 22:33]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Set up against Posh? on 22:47 - Sep 13 with 1308 viewsD_Dale

Good to see a thread about tomorrow's game, even if it hasn't been started until after the management and players have, presumably, arrived at a hotel in the vicinity of Peterborough.

I'd assumed that there wasn't much optimism about meeting a team that had the goal-scoring potential of not only Marcus Maddison but also Mohamed Iisa and Ivan Toney. And the fact that Posh have won their last three league matches (scoring 9 and conceding 0, including in their last home game a 3-0 defeat of Sunderland).

Of Soccerbase's odds for tomorrow's eleven League 1 fixtures, the odds against a Dale win are the longest - 9/2 - apart from one other side: Bolton, 5/1 against a win at Rotherham.

Form in the last five seasons: Posh have won 3 and lost 2 at home to Dale (and won 3 and lost 2 at Spotland).

We last drew at Peterborough in May 2007 (3-3). I think most fans would take a draw tomorrow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024