Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hornets 20:42 - Sep 20 with 11449 viewssoulboy

Does anyone know whats happening at Hornets? Theres been no mention of them in the Observer for the last 3 weeks to my knowledge. Admittedly they've not had much to shout about this season, and in their last 3 games they've been hammered but at least you would expect the local paper would give them some coverage, or have they gone bust?
Hornets on 20:55 - Sep 20 with 8455 viewspioneer

season finished (well it was by may really)

relegated to the bowels of the rugby league
Hornets on 18:15 - Sep 21 with 8059 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Hornets on 20:55 - Sep 20 by pioneer

season finished (well it was by may really)

relegated to the bowels of the rugby league

Good!

How long before they stop paying rent again or go all bURY financially so we can get rid of them to mayfield where they belong!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Hornets on 07:28 - Sep 23 with 7789 viewsEllDale

There's a mention in one of the rugby league papers this morning but it's a negative one as the report says some players are taking Hornets to court/RFL tribunal.
They are players contracted for the 2020 season whose contracts Hornets are trying to terminate following relegation.
Apparently under league rules notice of this has to be given within one month of relegation. Hornets went down on August 4th and so had until September 5th to issue the necessary notifications.
This they failed to do due to "an administrative error".
Hornets on 07:32 - Sep 23 with 7782 viewsaleanddale

Quite sad Actually.

Sporting club in the town struggling to keep its head above water I wish them all the best.
Hornets on 18:04 - Sep 23 with 7466 viewsArthurDaley

A short answer is no, even the few Hornets fans don't seem to know what is happening.
I go on the Hornets MB and nothing is clear on there. At the moment it doesn't appear that they have any players signed up for next season. As an old Hornets supporter things are really sad. What a good team they had in the Frank Myler and Kel Coslett era.

A large VAT Dave

Hornets on 18:16 - Sep 23 with 7438 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Hornets on 18:04 - Sep 23 by ArthurDaley

A short answer is no, even the few Hornets fans don't seem to know what is happening.
I go on the Hornets MB and nothing is clear on there. At the moment it doesn't appear that they have any players signed up for next season. As an old Hornets supporter things are really sad. What a good team they had in the Frank Myler and Kel Coslett era.

Sad to see, are they now a basket case like bury,Art?

Not a Rugby fan, but do not want to see the demise of another sport in my home town.
Hornets on 19:08 - Sep 23 with 7344 viewsDalenet

Hornets on 18:16 - Sep 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

Not a Rugby fan, but do not want to see the demise of another sport in my home town.

The Financial model for Div 1 next season will potentially cripple them. They won't get any decent volume of away fans and their own fan base is barely 500. For the towns sake I hope they survive, but a merger with Mayfield can't be far away can it?
Hornets on 19:13 - Sep 23 with 7333 viewsArthurDaley

Hornets on 18:16 - Sep 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

Not quite the bURY league, YD, but a bit chaotic . Having meetings in the Flying Horse not having meetings in the Flying Horse having votes on something, arguing about the result of the vote
arguing about who should vote. Nobody really knows what is going on.
I was a long time supporter ( along with the Dale ) but haven't been for years.

A large VAT Dave

Login to get fewer ads

Hornets on 19:36 - Sep 23 with 7287 viewsCleedale

Hornets on 19:13 - Sep 23 by ArthurDaley

Not quite the bURY league, YD, but a bit chaotic . Having meetings in the Flying Horse not having meetings in the Flying Horse having votes on something, arguing about the result of the vote
arguing about who should vote. Nobody really knows what is going on.
I was a long time supporter ( along with the Dale ) but haven't been for years.

Sad really - didn't they get gates around the 2,000 mark when first at Spotland? Know there's always been probs. with the bills - hope we're not going to suffer from that end now. Remember that carry-on with 'their' scoreboard? Whatever happened to that?

Always remember those mud-bath Floodlit Rugby League encounters down at the Athletics Ground with bigg'ish gates way-back-then - seem to think they were televised live on the Beeb.
Hornets on 19:54 - Sep 23 with 7244 viewsThacks_Rabbits

I love rugby league but hornets for years have been a basket case and have ripped the football club off numerous times, if you add to that the odious people who are and have been involved in the club, using personal influence as well as profile to keep them alive.

I won’t say all I know but if someone says no it means no, if anyone wants to know the full story I will meet you in a pub in heywood next time i visit!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Hornets on 20:10 - Sep 23 with 7207 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Slightly off topic but someone mentioned the Athletic Ground.....what were the attendances like for the Stock Car events?

.......and Speedway?
Hornets on 20:21 - Sep 23 with 7181 viewsregjenkins

Hornets on 20:10 - Sep 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

Slightly off topic but someone mentioned the Athletic Ground.....what were the attendances like for the Stock Car events?

.......and Speedway?

Pretty good back in the very early 1970's. I was more into speedway at the time. Peter colins would hi-side almost every week. Good days.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Hornets on 21:06 - Sep 23 with 7074 viewssoulboy

Hornets on 20:21 - Sep 23 by regjenkins

Pretty good back in the very early 1970's. I was more into speedway at the time. Peter colins would hi-side almost every week. Good days.

I went to the speedway there several times, but never got really into it, I think it was Belle Vue reserves rather than a Rochdale team? Both sports held on a Sunday afternoon but I much preferred the chaos of the stock cars, world champion Stuart Smith and his main rival another Rochdale driver, Doug Cronshaw. Happy days circa 70/71.
Hornets on 01:18 - Sep 25 with 6709 viewsdownunder

Hornets on 19:08 - Sep 23 by Dalenet

The Financial model for Div 1 next season will potentially cripple them. They won't get any decent volume of away fans and their own fan base is barely 500. For the towns sake I hope they survive, but a merger with Mayfield can't be far away can it?

Some of the League people I know in the area have said to me that Mayfield don't want them, though I can see some sense in it.
Hornets on 07:50 - Sep 25 with 6613 viewsEllDale

The speedway team in 1970 was the Belle Vue Colts one from 1969 rebranded and renamed. The whole operation was run by Belle Vue.
Many of the riders who wore the Hornets bib in the two seasons that they were open went onto become members of the allconquering Belle Vue team of the 1970's - world champion Peter Collins, Paul Tyrer and Alan Wilkinson for example.
Because of noise restrictions the first season's matches were staged on Sunday afternoons and most were won by hefty margins which caused attendances to drop.
They weren't so much races as processions. A lot of people my age who went were just teenagers who went to get out of the house!
There were only a couple of thousand there at best.
That prompted a move to Friday nights with no improvement so the franchise moved to Ellesmere Port for the 1972 season.
Hornets on 13:00 - Sep 25 with 6449 viewshammerdale

Good to see you are so supportive of the demise of another professional team. Talking of rip off I'll just mention York postponed and dumping Hornets off to Mayfield 3dsys before the Swinton game at a great financial loss to Hornets .Of course RAFC had not compensated them in any way. I just don't get anyone who is Rochdale based wanting the club to die..it's a sad state of affairs.
Hornets on 00:08 - Sep 26 with 6306 viewsDalenet

Hornets on 13:00 - Sep 25 by hammerdale

Good to see you are so supportive of the demise of another professional team. Talking of rip off I'll just mention York postponed and dumping Hornets off to Mayfield 3dsys before the Swinton game at a great financial loss to Hornets .Of course RAFC had not compensated them in any way. I just don't get anyone who is Rochdale based wanting the club to die..it's a sad state of affairs.

But they were compensated so be careful of the libel laws
Hornets on 16:18 - Sep 27 with 6036 viewshammerdale

Hornets on 00:08 - Sep 26 by Dalenet

But they were compensated so be careful of the libel laws

What did they get
Hornets on 16:44 - Oct 2 with 5674 viewsdeeplishblue

Seems that there has been a problem with a couple of board members and a "small group of supporters"

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/130528/peter-rush-an

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Hornets on 17:40 - Oct 2 with 5557 viewsblackdogblue

Hornets on 16:44 - Oct 2 by deeplishblue

Seems that there has been a problem with a couple of board members and a "small group of supporters"

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/130528/peter-rush-an

Chris Dunohy?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Hornets on 09:40 - Oct 10 with 5018 viewsJames1980

From Discover on Google https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/130653/remaining-mem

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Hornets on 10:06 - Oct 10 with 4969 viewsDalenet

Hornets on 09:40 - Oct 10 by James1980

From Discover on Google https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/130653/remaining-mem

Not looking good. For the entire Board to resign suggests that the members are in revolt or the financial position of the club is perilous. I wonder whether this is the end for them....which would be quite sad.
Hornets on 10:41 - Oct 10 with 4917 viewsJames1980

Hornets on 10:06 - Oct 10 by Dalenet

Not looking good. For the entire Board to resign suggests that the members are in revolt or the financial position of the club is perilous. I wonder whether this is the end for them....which would be quite sad.

Yes that certainly will be sad. From a cold, business point of view how would that effect us financially?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Hornets on 11:48 - Oct 10 with 4853 viewspioneer

Hornets on 10:06 - Oct 10 by Dalenet

yes, all started when they shifted to a members based club and members saw themselves as special and a better class than regular bills who just wannted to watch the game and sod the politics. Having pissed them off they were left with about 500 hearty souls many of whom saw themselves as the saviours of rugby league in the town.

God forbid we ever lose touch with the regular folks who just want to watch footy when it suits them, but the pricing structure at Dale is heading that way.
Hornets on 12:03 - Oct 10 with 4829 viewsAussieDale

Hornets on 11:48 - Oct 10 by pioneer

yes, all started when they shifted to a members based club and members saw themselves as special and a better class than regular bills who just wannted to watch the game and sod the politics. Having pissed them off they were left with about 500 hearty souls many of whom saw themselves as the saviours of rugby league in the town.

God forbid we ever lose touch with the regular folks who just want to watch footy when it suits them, but the pricing structure at Dale is heading that way.

'The pricing structure is heading that way'. I wouldn't know living in Oz but any idea what our season ticket prices are in comparison with other clubs in both our division and the division below
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024