Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long Way for a postponement 09:50 - Oct 10 with 1885 viewsNigeriamark

FFS - Will arrive in Yokohama tomorrow for 2 nights, for the England v France Rugby World Cup game. Just heard the game is off & I cant get an early flight back or cancel my accommodation which was £300

Did a 48 hour trip when I lived in India in 1999 or 2000 for a Dale game that was called of while I was in the air

Also drove to one of the first Dale games when Wimbledon were first let into the league ( I think the season Villa won the league) , The game was called off about 9.00 am but didn’t have a care radio so got to the ground before finding out

They say things come in threes so hopefully that’s it for me, although this weekend will be a big waste on money Looks like a weekend on the lash with thousands of disgruntled French and English fans

Anyone else had similar experiences ( Go on make one up to cheer me up!!!)
[Post edited 10 Oct 2019 9:57]
Long Way for a postponement on 10:15 - Oct 10 with 1808 viewsSandyDrum

Bloody hell Mark that is some bad luck!
Hopefully you can redeem some of the weekend and make some memories out in Yokohama!

Closest I've got to a story like that is when I went on a daytrip to Paris with work, I work in the travel industry so Eurostar were offering free trips to test out their new trains.

Made it to Paris and asked if I could leave the group who were off to the Eiffel Tower for the afternoon to go and watch a French 2nd Division match, Red Star v Nimes.

Red Star play at a stadium in the North of the city so it was a fair trek on the underground and I barely made it to the stadium for kick off.
Except when I got to the stadium, there was no match and no sign of any fans.

Turns out the match had been moved to a stadium in Beauvais, 80km outside of Paris and I still to this day have absolutely no idea why.

Trudged back to Gare Du Nord to wait for the rest of the group for our return train to London.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Long Way for a postponement on 10:53 - Oct 10 with 1756 viewsfermin

If that Wimbledon game was January 1981 (and the story sounds similar apart from the Villa bit) then that would have been my first ever Dale game. As it was I had to wait another year. My first ever home game would have been in March 1985 against Stockport as I was then old enough to travel on my own and had earned a bit of money. Not sure when that was called off but I remember overhearing a steward saying how sorry he was for a fan he had met who had travelled all the way from Stockport. That was a long disappointing journey back.

Nothing to compare with a trip to Yokohama though!
Long Way for a postponement on 14:12 - Oct 10 with 1602 viewsVespaDale

Wycombe twice away in the same season, both times we had arrived at the ground to be told it's off. Then on the third attempt we got there they gave us the original program as a goodwill gesture. 1,200 miles to see a 1-1 draw, belting header from 18 yards in off the crossbar...
Long Way for a postponement on 21:03 - Oct 10 with 1429 viewsdownunder

Long Way for a postponement on 14:12 - Oct 10 by VespaDale

Wycombe twice away in the same season, both times we had arrived at the ground to be told it's off. Then on the third attempt we got there they gave us the original program as a goodwill gesture. 1,200 miles to see a 1-1 draw, belting header from 18 yards in off the crossbar...

I know how you feel.
Long Way for a postponement on 10:56 - Oct 11 with 1259 viewsRAFCBLUE

Long Way for a postponement on 14:12 - Oct 10 by VespaDale

1995?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Long Way for a postponement on 10:58 - Oct 11 with 1253 viewssoulboy

Youi gave me a lift that day to Plough Lane!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024