Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possession 00:29 - Oct 15 with 4313 viewsShun

A lot has been made of how we continually dominate possession this season yet don't do enough with it. Remarkably, our win against Accrington on Saturday was only the 2nd time all season we haven't had more of the ball than our opponent.

What's even more remarkable is some of the amounts of possession we've had in here compared to our pretty poor results. The fact that in our two heaviest defeats, 3-0 at Wycombe and 6-0 at Posh, we've had our two highest possession rates of the season, 71% and 64% respectively, is absolutely staggering!

Tranmere (W 3-2) - 61%
Doncaster (D 1-1) - 57%
Shrewsbury (D 0-0) - 61%
Sunderland (L 2-1) - 62%
Blackpool (D 0-0) - 52%
Southend (W 3-0) - 60%
Peterborough (L 6-0) - 64%
Lincoln (D 1-1) - 53%
Fleetwood (L 2-1) - 47%
Wycombe (L 3-0) - 71%
Wimbledon (L 3-2) - 55%
Accrington (W 2-1) - 49%

Unsurprisingly we lead the league charts in possession and successful passes, but results show us we aren't doing enough with it. How a team can have almost three quarters of the ball and still get hammered is beyond me.

Anyway, no real observations, I'm just a lover of stats, especially bizarre ones like these.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 0:30]
Possession on 03:17 - Oct 15 with 3502 viewskiwidale

The only conclusion you can draw from them stats is gerrit forad.

This is not the time for bickering.

Possession on 06:28 - Oct 15 with 3456 viewsDaleiLama

Interesting to see heat maps for that possession. If it's all in the bottom 2/3 and the goals come from passing around across the back 4 until we make a mistake ……….

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Possession on 08:03 - Oct 15 with 3374 viewsfitzochris

Possession on 06:28 - Oct 15 by DaleiLama

Interesting to see heat maps for that possession. If it's all in the bottom 2/3 and the goals come from passing around across the back 4 until we make a mistake ……….

From my own observations, those stats back up the fact that we have good, intelligent passers of the ball and good off-the-ball movement, but we are let down when pressed into a mistake or a team hits us on the counter attack. This is chiefly down to having a patched-up side for the majority of the season to date.

The fact we basically rely on Henderson as our only clinician at the other end is why we do little with all the possession we manufacture.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Possession on 08:06 - Oct 15 with 3363 viewsisitme

On occasions when our passing has made the opening we often lack the pace to exploit it. I would definitely agree with the pressing by the opposition. Williams especially is susceptible to this, especially with his back to goal, although he is generally okay when facing play and moving the ball about.
Possession on 08:14 - Oct 15 with 3344 viewsfitzochris

Possession on 08:06 - Oct 15 by isitme

On occasions when our passing has made the opening we often lack the pace to exploit it. I would definitely agree with the pressing by the opposition. Williams especially is susceptible to this, especially with his back to goal, although he is generally okay when facing play and moving the ball about.

I agree about the lack of pace. This ties in again to an over reliance on Henderson. We need more options and preferably before January.

McShane was a positive move at the back (albeit loaning out Delaney was a mystifying one), so we need to do the same up front.

Possession on 10:16 - Oct 15 with 3232 viewsDiddyDave

Possession on 03:17 - Oct 15 by kiwidale

The only conclusion you can draw from them stats is gerrit forad.

Hi mate,check your messages.
Possession on 10:33 - Oct 15 with 3205 viewstony_roch975

Possession on 08:14 - Oct 15 by fitzochris

I agree about the lack of pace. This ties in again to an over reliance on Henderson. We need more options and preferably before January.

McShane was a positive move at the back (albeit loaning out Delaney was a mystifying one), so we need to do the same up front.

Pace is often the distinguishing quality between higher/lower league players (& their costs) so I think we have to be realistic about what our finances can buy. Agree McShane had a good start (felt better cos of our fears about the back four on Saturday?) but we'll know more after he's faced other (better) opponents - he also isn't the quickest. Finding a pacy high-scoring striker is a much tougher ask.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Possession on 10:38 - Oct 15 with 3186 viewsfitzochris

Possession on 10:33 - Oct 15 by tony_roch975

Pace is often the distinguishing quality between higher/lower league players (& their costs) so I think we have to be realistic about what our finances can buy. Agree McShane had a good start (felt better cos of our fears about the back four on Saturday?) but we'll know more after he's faced other (better) opponents - he also isn't the quickest. Finding a pacy high-scoring striker is a much tougher ask.

We have managed to acquire pace before, whether on loan, through the Academy or otherwise. It is not an unknown quantity at this level.

And nobody with a level head is suggesting we start bidding for Ivan Toney et al, but acquiring a player to take some of the strain away from Henderson shouldn’t be beyond us either.

As I’ve said many times before, there is a huge difference between spending on an unrealistic and unsustainable goal, and keeping us competitive at this level.

Login to get fewer ads

Possession on 13:41 - Oct 15 with 2983 viewsMancDale

Personally I'd much prefer us to stick with and develop our possession game. As good as it was to win on Saturday the goals were as much down to luck as anything else. We can't rely on keeper errors and long punts up field every game.

We do need more pace and willingness to run at the opposition and I'm sure BBM will be working on that. Maybe a couple more wins and the sandy lane long ball merchants will give it a rest for a few weeks.
Possession on 16:14 - Oct 15 with 2833 viewsisitme

Possession on 10:33 - Oct 15 by tony_roch975

You do get pace in the lower leagues, but often the players will lack experience, end product and/or work rate such as Sanmi Odelusi.

Tavares is fairly quick and looked decent when he came on. Maybe he could develop into a threat?
Possession on 17:12 - Oct 15 with 2759 viewsrochdaleriddler

Possession on 13:41 - Oct 15 by MancDale

Personally I'd much prefer us to stick with and develop our possession game. As good as it was to win on Saturday the goals were as much down to luck as anything else. We can't rely on keeper errors and long punts up field every game.

We do need more pace and willingness to run at the opposition and I'm sure BBM will be working on that. Maybe a couple more wins and the sandy lane long ball merchants will give it a rest for a few weeks.

Only a few old tossers shouting this, they will be dead soon, the sandy age profile is worrying

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Possession on 17:29 - Oct 15 with 2735 viewsboromat

The more of the ball we have the more likely we have a huge lapse in concentration and balls it up

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Possession on 18:06 - Oct 15 with 2685 viewsDaleiLama

Possession on 16:14 - Oct 15 by isitme

You do get pace in the lower leagues, but often the players will lack experience, end product and/or work rate such as Sanmi Odelusi.

Tavares is fairly quick and looked decent when he came on. Maybe he could develop into a threat?

Liked the look of him from the bits I've seen but still looks a bit lightweight, especially in a challenge. Early days yet though. Morley has changed his physique just over this last summer. Maybe Tavares will do similar? Interesting that MJ has gone the opposite way, but is a lot more physical this campaign. On the subject of conditioning, FRMSE was bleating on the whole game about how "Dale look worn out". Accy on the other hand seemed to be world beaters according to him. At 2-0, I honestly started wondering if I'd missed an Accy hat trick or summat?

Possession on 19:22 - Oct 15 with 2605 viewsnordenblue

Possession on 18:06 - Oct 15 by DaleiLama

Liked the look of him from the bits I've seen but still looks a bit lightweight, especially in a challenge. Early days yet though. Morley has changed his physique just over this last summer. Maybe Tavares will do similar? Interesting that MJ has gone the opposite way, but is a lot more physical this campaign. On the subject of conditioning, FRMSE was bleating on the whole game about how "Dale look worn out". Accy on the other hand seemed to be world beaters according to him. At 2-0, I honestly started wondering if I'd missed an Accy hat trick or summat?

FRMSE was also bleating on social media recently near me how the village where he lives has recently got rid of a "shite former United forward" widely known to be Fellaini, he'll gladly tell anyone that bothers to listen how Joey Barton texts him all the time,this was even before his move to Fleetwood, that's the mark of the kind of guy he is, an absolute weapon
Possession on 19:26 - Oct 15 with 2594 views442Dale

Not that he’d see any of this of course.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Possession on 19:56 - Oct 15 with 2542 viewsrochdaleriddler

Possession on 19:22 - Oct 15 by nordenblue

FRMSE was also bleating on social media recently near me how the village where he lives has recently got rid of a "shite former United forward" widely known to be Fellaini, he'll gladly tell anyone that bothers to listen how Joey Barton texts him all the time,this was even before his move to Fleetwood, that's the mark of the kind of guy he is, an absolute weapon

What is social media near you?

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Possession on 19:58 - Oct 15 with 2541 viewssoulboy

Eyres comments after the match on Saturday were not only insulting to BBM but way off the mark regarding how we looked jaded and couldn't wait for the final whistle.What an annoying pillock..
Possession on 20:01 - Oct 15 with 2536 viewsTVOS1907

Possession on 19:22 - Oct 15 by nordenblue

There's plenty of people around here who still text him information.

His comments on Radio Matey on Saturday were very unprofessional for someone currently working at a League One club.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Possession on 20:10 - Oct 15 with 2521 viewsDaleiLama

Possession on 20:01 - Oct 15 by TVOS1907

His comments on Radio Matey on Saturday were very unprofessional for someone currently working at a League One club.

Is he what they refer to as a colour commentator? His opinions all seem to the same colour to me - tinged with hessian!

Possession on 20:12 - Oct 15 with 2521 viewsJames1980

Possession on 19:58 - Oct 15 by soulboy

Eyres comments after the match on Saturday were not only insulting to BBM but way off the mark regarding how we looked jaded and couldn't wait for the final whistle.What an annoying pillock..

Doesn't still bear a grudge does he? Not that he ever did of course

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Possession on 20:46 - Oct 15 with 2468 views49thseason

Possession on 17:12 - Oct 15 by rochdaleriddler

Only a few old tossers shouting this, they will be dead soon, the sandy age profile is worrying

Pissed again?
Possession on 21:21 - Oct 15 with 2440 viewsnordenblue

Possession on 19:56 - Oct 15 by rochdaleriddler

What is social media near you?

A local village, invite only group on Facebook?
Possession on 21:30 - Oct 15 with 2433 viewsnordenblue

Possession on 20:01 - Oct 15 by TVOS1907

Make no mistake the guys a real tool,god only knows why but full of his own importance too, bless.
He's a MASSIVE star,in his own house....
Possession on 22:22 - Oct 15 with 2400 viewsTVOS1907

Possession on 21:30 - Oct 15 by nordenblue

Make no mistake the guys a real tool,god only knows why but full of his own importance too, bless.
He's a MASSIVE star,in his own house....

Because people like Wagg allow him to be.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Possession on 22:37 - Oct 15 with 2376 viewskiwidale

Possession on 17:12 - Oct 15 by rochdaleriddler

Riddler even allowing for a tongue in cheek comment that is bellendery at its finest.

This is not the time for bickering.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024