Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale players who made an immediate impact 18:17 - Oct 24 with 5442 viewsfinberty

The arrival of Paul McShane has seen an instant upturn in results, performances and defensive stability.

This was last seen when Hendo first arrived. How many other players have made such an impact from the very start?

Three that occurred to me were all in the 80s (I think - TVOS will advise if I'm wrong):

Centre back Paul Jones arrived on loan from Counteh, secured a weak back line and chipped in with some headed goals. Probably 1988?

Winger Andy Milner destroyed Burnley's left back on his debut at Turf Moor. Either 89 or 90.

Goalkeeper Keith Welch, brought in as a 17 year old when Redfern was injured and looked the part straightaway. Probably 87.

Any others - ones whose impact was obvious in their first games?
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 18:18]
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:21 - Oct 24 with 4438 viewsfitzochris

Paul Connor.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:23 - Oct 24 with 4417 views442Dale

Milner played as a striker initially as we used a 5-3-2. Welch is a great call.

Add Robbie Painter to the list.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:26 - Oct 24 with 4401 viewsShun

A couple who had great initial impacts before fading - Gary Dicker and Grant Holt (2nd time). Both came when our promotion/playoff challenge was stuttering and they both instilled a new sense of drive around the team and the club.
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:27 - Oct 24 with 4397 viewsHuddersdale1

For older fans: Tony Buck
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:55 - Oct 24 with 4323 viewsSuddenLad

Lyndon Simmonds
Phil Dwyer
Martin Hodge
Steve Taylor

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:55 - Oct 24 with 4317 viewsdingdangblue

Alf
Tom Heaton
Cog

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 19:47 - Oct 24 with 4215 viewsTVOS1907

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:26 - Oct 24 by Shun

A couple who had great initial impacts before fading - Gary Dicker and Grant Holt (2nd time). Both came when our promotion/playoff challenge was stuttering and they both instilled a new sense of drive around the team and the club.

Think you’re getting legged up with Dicker, Shun. He played for us in the first half of the promotion season.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 20:02 - Oct 24 with 4179 viewsMolly

Marcus Hannaman anyone?
Login to get fewer ads

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 20:13 - Oct 24 with 4158 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 20:02 - Oct 24 by Molly

Marcus Hannaman anyone?

.....and lately, Andy Lonergan?
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 20:44 - Oct 24 with 4088 viewsdingdangblue

Scott Hogan

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 22:25 - Oct 24 with 3932 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 20:44 - Oct 24 by dingdangblue

Scott Hogan

Ian Gray did fantastic for us, both on loan and permanently.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 22:30 - Oct 24 with 3920 viewspioneer

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 18:27 - Oct 24 by Huddersdale1

For older fans: Tony Buck

Indeed, and Bob Mountford as well.
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 23:08 - Oct 24 with 3871 viewsShun

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 19:47 - Oct 24 by TVOS1907

Think you’re getting legged up with Dicker, Shun. He played for us in the first half of the promotion season.

Yep, but I believe he arrived a month or two into the season when we were stuttering slightly, and his experience in midfield provided some coolness and finesse which the rest of the squad seemed to respond to.
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 23:38 - Oct 24 with 3852 viewsYadHoDale

Eugene Martinez certainly, and possibly Barry Welling in 1981.

Dave Frain and Peter Ward in approx 1987

Maybe Jason Peake (first time).

Definitely Tony Ellis.
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 23:41 - Oct 24 with 3844 viewsDale92

The batch of players Hilly brought in during his first spell. Mocquet,Etuhu,Prandergast, Muirhead, Thorpedo. All had vital moments during the birth of the ‘No Fear’ time period.

This is the One, I've waited for

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 00:14 - Oct 25 with 3815 viewscumbria_dale

Paul Simpson
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 00:26 - Oct 25 with 3809 viewsDaley_Lama

Aaron Morely

Poll: DF in or out

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 05:32 - Oct 25 with 3746 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 23:38 - Oct 24 by YadHoDale

Eugene Martinez certainly, and possibly Barry Welling in 1981.

Dave Frain and Peter Ward in approx 1987

Maybe Jason Peake (first time).

Definitely Tony Ellis.

Tony Ellis has continued to make brilliant , positive impacts on our Club due to his brilliant work in his role with the youth. Brilliant striker, now doing brilliantly in his role, along with his team.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 07:38 - Oct 25 with 3680 viewsEllDale

Chris Harker, Derek Ryder, Vinny Leech, Colin Parry, Joe Ashworth, Norman Whitehead in the summer of 1968.
Billy Rudd and Denis Butler the season before.
Promotion straightaway must be seen as an instant upturn in results?
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 08:09 - Oct 25 with 3655 viewsTVOS1907

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 23:41 - Oct 24 by Dale92

The batch of players Hilly brought in during his first spell. Mocquet,Etuhu,Prandergast, Muirhead, Thorpedo. All had vital moments during the birth of the ‘No Fear’ time period.

Mocquet was brought in by Parkin. Hill sent him back to Sunderland when his month finished.

Thorpe didn’t join us until the summer of 2007. I’m not sure his impact was anything other than steady throughout his time.

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 08:15 - Oct 25 with 3651 viewsTVOS1907

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 23:08 - Oct 24 by Shun

Yep, but I believe he arrived a month or two into the season when we were stuttering slightly, and his experience in midfield provided some coolness and finesse which the rest of the squad seemed to respond to.

He made a positive impact, but joined us in September when we had just picked up seven points in three games, so the team was already starting to show signs of what they could do.

His departure was strange though, as he left because he wants to stay down south, so he signed for Crawley.

Six months later he joined Carlisle!

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 08:24 - Oct 25 with 3640 viewsChaffRAFC

Paul Connor is the best example, came in, smashed in 10 in 14. Was never the same after that injury though.

Paul Simpson was another, great player.

Would cut a case forward for Richard Jobson as well in a similar way to McShane.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 08:36 - Oct 25 with 3628 viewsTVOS1907

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 08:24 - Oct 25 by ChaffRAFC

Paul Connor is the best example, came in, smashed in 10 in 14. Was never the same after that injury though.

Paul Simpson was another, great player.

Would cut a case forward for Richard Jobson as well in a similar way to McShane.

Good call. Also from the same season, Steve Banks.

And from 1994, Matt Dickins had a massive impact.....

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 10:16 - Oct 25 with 3533 viewstodmordendale

I believe McShane is signed only until January. If he continues in the present form, then it will be a huge loss at that time.
I really hope that we can extend his contract at least til the end of season.
He does look to be enjoying his time on the pitch and has formed an instant partnership with O’Connell.
Dale players who made an immediate impact on 13:03 - Oct 25 with 3434 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Dale players who made an immediate impact on 10:16 - Oct 25 by todmordendale

I believe McShane is signed only until January. If he continues in the present form, then it will be a huge loss at that time.
I really hope that we can extend his contract at least til the end of season.
He does look to be enjoying his time on the pitch and has formed an instant partnership with O’Connell.

There will be lots of Clubs looking at the way McShane is performing and thinking we could do with that lad.

CEO.....get cracking on a renewal,please.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024