Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teams we have played in years gone by 12:58 - Oct 25 with 7485 viewsNewtonDale

Being drawn against Wrexham got me thinking about all of the teams (over the past 34 years that I have been a Dale fan) that we used to play in the league and some now that we rarely played.
For instance Halifax, Notts County, Yeovil, Torquay, Barnet, Hartlepool, Maidstone, Stockport, Wrexham, York, Chester, Hereford, Boston, Kidderminster, Rushden and Diamonds & Darlington are all in non-league (think Rushden may not exist anymore)
Also Oldham, Swindon, Bolton, Blackpool, Bradford, Ipswich & Portsmouth were all once top division teams.
All in all I don't think we have too much to complain about residing in the 2 lower division for all this time.
I don't think I could cope with yoyo-ing up and down the leagues and then falling into non-league!
I am very proud to be a Dale fan. We are a decently run club with a small but loyal fan base so long may it continue.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:01 - Oct 25 with 4557 viewsjudd

I enjoyed reading that.

Especially the bit about Notts County being non-league.

You have very diplomatically omitted bury.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:01 - Oct 25 with 4558 viewsEllDale

You can add Southport, Workington and Barrow to that list.
Been to all those grounds when they were in the Football League.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:11 - Oct 25 with 4530 viewsNewtonDale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:01 - Oct 25 by judd

I enjoyed reading that.

Especially the bit about Notts County being non-league.

You have very diplomatically omitted bury.

Thanks Judd
Yes I'm getting bored hearing about bury. I'm on LinkedIn with Chris Casper who is now the Sporting Director at Salford and he responded to a post on their about bury's plight written by Terry Robinson who is some Sports Administrator Consultant from guess where? bury! and the post was so gushing about how great bury were and are and how badly they have been treated etc. it was sickening to see all of the responses from people in the business fraternity sounding their support and damning the EFL without having a clue about why they are in this position
Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:18 - Oct 25 with 4519 viewsEllDale

Surely not the same Terry Robinson who was Bury chairman many moons ago?
Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:29 - Oct 25 with 4497 viewsjudd

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:18 - Oct 25 by EllDale

Surely not the same Terry Robinson who was Bury chairman many moons ago?

My thoughts too.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:30 - Oct 25 with 4488 viewsD_Alien

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:01 - Oct 25 by EllDale

You can add Southport, Workington and Barrow to that list.
Been to all those grounds when they were in the Football League.

Edit: Hartlepool mentioned!
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 13:31]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:30 - Oct 25 with 4495 viewsNewtonDale

That's him
Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:33 - Oct 25 with 4480 viewsjudd

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:30 - Oct 25 by D_Alien

Edit: Hartlepool mentioned!
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 13:31]

Is it Hartlepool or Hartlepools?

Login to get fewer ads

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:58 - Oct 25 with 4443 viewsdale1968

What about Boston Utd, Aldershot.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:59 - Oct 25 with 4440 viewsjudd

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:58 - Oct 25 by dale1968

What about Boston Utd, Aldershot.

Boston were mentioned.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:01 - Oct 25 with 4434 viewsD_Alien

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:33 - Oct 25 by judd

Is it Hartlepool or Hartlepools?

Good question. I can remember when the football results were being read out, and suddenly it'd changed. Never been the same since

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:07 - Oct 25 with 4431 viewspioneer

but what about burnley, sheffield united, bournemouth, cardiff, swansea, hull, .... who we used to meet in the league.

Teams go up and teams go down, some more than others. Yes it is good to be sustaining our league 1 status..... but that shouldnt stop us aspiring to greater heights ( and i mean aspiring, not expecting)
Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:07 - Oct 25 with 4427 viewsjudd

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:01 - Oct 25 by D_Alien

Good question. I can remember when the football results were being read out, and suddenly it'd changed. Never been the same since

We played them away on a wet Tuesday night and we were fenced in on one half of the open end.

They scored and their fans went ape, I was then hit on the head by a coin thrown from their mob.

I bent down to pick the offending 20p coin up when I heard a weedy North East accented voice "Can I have my money back mister?"

NO.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:10 - Oct 25 with 4413 viewsD_Alien

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:07 - Oct 25 by judd

We played them away on a wet Tuesday night and we were fenced in on one half of the open end.

They scored and their fans went ape, I was then hit on the head by a coin thrown from their mob.

I bent down to pick the offending 20p coin up when I heard a weedy North East accented voice "Can I have my money back mister?"

NO.

Bastard. That's the kid's dinner money gone, and a good thrashing when he got home

Too right

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:13 - Oct 25 with 4404 viewsjudd

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:10 - Oct 25 by D_Alien

Bastard. That's the kid's dinner money gone, and a good thrashing when he got home

Too right

I did say to him that had we been playing further south I could've expected to have been hit by a pound coin.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:19 - Oct 25 with 4388 viewsD_Alien

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:13 - Oct 25 by judd

I did say to him that had we been playing further south I could've expected to have been hit by a pound coin.

That's a pretty damn good insult. Even better if you'd thrown a pound coin back at him, or better still, a euro. "You'll never get to spend that"

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:26 - Oct 25 with 4376 viewsdawlishdale

Poor old Scarborough....no mention
Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:31 - Oct 25 with 4370 viewsSuddenLad

Bradford Park Avenue ??

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:36 - Oct 25 with 4361 viewsNewtonDale

I knew that I would end up missing s few off but this has led to a nice Friday afternoon reminiscing session / quiz!
Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:38 - Oct 25 with 4357 viewsBigKindo

Scarborough, Bradford Park Avenue, Gateshead, New Brighton .......
Anybody else at the away game at Scarborough when it bucketed down. All the Daleys trying to shelter under the overhanging branches of the tree that grew outside the ground. The Daley who won the half time draw and was booed off the pitch by the Yarkshire folk after receiving his winnings.Remember going there one Easter with the kids. After the obligatory fish and chips we had a walk on the beach and it snowed!
Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:48 - Oct 25 with 4336 viewsdawlishdale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:38 - Oct 25 by BigKindo

Scarborough, Bradford Park Avenue, Gateshead, New Brighton .......
Anybody else at the away game at Scarborough when it bucketed down. All the Daleys trying to shelter under the overhanging branches of the tree that grew outside the ground. The Daley who won the half time draw and was booed off the pitch by the Yarkshire folk after receiving his winnings.Remember going there one Easter with the kids. After the obligatory fish and chips we had a walk on the beach and it snowed!

Went there a few times, and it always either rained or snowed. Up there with Hartlepool(s) Grimsby and Doncaster (Belle View) as the coldest I've been at games.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:56 - Oct 25 with 4324 viewsBigKindo

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:48 - Oct 25 by dawlishdale

Went there a few times, and it always either rained or snowed. Up there with Hartlepool(s) Grimsby and Doncaster (Belle View) as the coldest I've been at games.

You obviously weren't at Gretna for the FA Cup match. That was a cold one.I cannot remember whether it was that game or one at Carlisle when driving home south along the M6 we overtook some Daleys who had an inflatable doll on the back seat. No, sorry, what I mean was that there was an inflatable doll sat on the back seat looking out of the window.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:59 - Oct 25 with 4311 viewsD_Alien

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:56 - Oct 25 by BigKindo

You obviously weren't at Gretna for the FA Cup match. That was a cold one.I cannot remember whether it was that game or one at Carlisle when driving home south along the M6 we overtook some Daleys who had an inflatable doll on the back seat. No, sorry, what I mean was that there was an inflatable doll sat on the back seat looking out of the window.

Must've been Gretna, where you can marry whoever you like...

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:01 - Oct 25 with 4309 viewsNewtonDale

Blimey, I remember going to Gretna in the Cup! Was it soon after that they left the English leagues, joined the Scottish leagues and went on a run that got them quite high up? I think they had a prolific striker that took the division top scorer each year they got promoted. Kenny something I think. I am sure someone will correct me!
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 15:02]
Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:22 - Oct 25 with 4275 viewsdawlishdale

I was there, and seem to recall it being cold but sunny, so no contest really. And there were loads of us packed closely together in the away end.

Was the blow up doll after the AWS Northern Final at Carlisle?.. that was another awful weather trip...rained all the first half with a howling wind... then , at half time, the wind stopped and the rain got worse, leaving us on the open end , soaking and frozen. Andy Thackery won the toss and chose to kick into the teeth of the gale...and we were 3-0 down by half time.

Happy days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024