Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wrexham (A) - Match Thread 11:21 - Nov 8 with 24269 viewsAtThePeake

Following on from what Ancoats_Blue posted in the 'now that the dust has settled thread', I think it would be a good idea to have a match thread for each game with pre-match, live and post-match updates. Also gives us one place to stick all of our pre-and post match content in case you miss any of it on the homepage plus a few handy links from elsewhere.

Match preview:

Match Preview: Wrexham vs Dale 7th Nov 2019 15:57
Dale look to the FA Cup to provide a distraction from their faltering league form on Sunday as they head to North Wales to take on National League outfit Wrexham. 0

Played For Both:

Played for Both: Wrexham v Dale (FA Cup) 8th Nov 2019 09:00
Our “Played for Both” feature continues with a former captain who played for both Dale and our FA Cup opponents Wrexham. 4

Racecourse Ground Guide: https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/conference/conference-premier/wrexha

Ticket news: https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/november/ticket-news-wrexhamaway_101119/

Travel news: https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/november/travelnews-wrexhamaway_100219/

Tangled up in blue.

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 20:56 - Nov 10 with 3179 viewsrochdaleriddler

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 18:56 - Nov 10 by dawlishdale

Is this an official figure, or a guess.
Apologies for not knowing....I haven't seen anything about what we earned.

What worries me is our CEO proclaiming that any money would only keep us going for two to three months... which suggests that we are skint in the extreme.

Well it may only represent a few weeks of our budget, but this is additional money, so I’m not sure why he said that

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:00 - Nov 10 with 3158 viewsrochdaleriddler

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 19:34 - Nov 10 by fitzochris

Here’s what you said: “I would love us to be the league version of Barca, Man City or Liverpool. However I am not sure we can afford it.”

My posts showed that it’s been achieved before and it had fook all to do with money.

He said we don’t have the budget to buy players who play a gazillion passes

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:02 - Nov 10 with 3145 viewsfitzochris

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:00 - Nov 10 by rochdaleriddler

He said we don’t have the budget to buy players who play a gazillion passes

Yes, we’ve clarified that and I responded that my posts were pointing out that we’ve done it before, on similar budgets. Cheers though.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:04 - Nov 10 with 3128 viewsrochdaleriddler

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:02 - Nov 10 by fitzochris

Yes, we’ve clarified that and I responded that my posts were pointing out that we’ve done it before, on similar budgets. Cheers though.

Ok grumpy

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:05 - Nov 10 with 3116 viewsfitzochris

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:04 - Nov 10 by rochdaleriddler

Ok grumpy

Not grumpy at all. Happy to call out nonsense as and when I see it and I’ll do it with a smile on my face and a spring in my step.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 21:57]

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:07 - Nov 10 with 3095 viewsspringfieldparka

To be honest this whole thing about financial armageddon baffles me somewhat .

As I understand it , we comply with the salary cap operating at our level which I think is 60% of turnover/income or whatever and this is generally accepted as a reasonable norm for a secure business .

From memory as well , and this is going back a bit , I know , there as always some kind of understanding that the club budgeted for something like a £300k loss per season in the hope that would be absorbed by cup runs , transfers etc . On that basis , and using pretty crude data admittedly , I calculate over the past 15 years we've accrued at least £5 - &.5 million from transfers , add ons , and cup runs up to and beyond the third round or involving one-off windfalls . That would more than absorb the planned deficits quoted , and cover potential increases over the timescale .

As other posters have said , there needs to be transparency and a sharing of information of risks and challenges with all stakeholders to understand adequately what I perceive to be quite strange contradictions here .
Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:08 - Nov 10 with 3094 viewsrochdaleriddler

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:05 - Nov 10 by fitzochris

Not grumpy at all. Happy to call out nonsense as and when I see it and I’ll do it with a smile on my face and a spring in my step.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 21:57]

I wasn’t saying nonsense

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:10 - Nov 10 with 3069 viewsfitzochris

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:08 - Nov 10 by rochdaleriddler

I wasn’t saying nonsense

Well, you were a bit. Your post was about something that had already been addressed in the previous. In other words, there was no need for it.

A complete sideshow to the main issues, of course.

Login to get fewer ads

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:12 - Nov 10 with 3055 viewsrochdaleriddler

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:10 - Nov 10 by fitzochris

Well, you were a bit. Your post was about something that had already been addressed in the previous. In other words, there was no need for it.

A complete sideshow to the main issues, of course.

Fine, I’ll not post for a bit. Leave it to the experts, this board is very petty at times

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:15 - Nov 10 with 3036 viewsfitzochris

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:12 - Nov 10 by rochdaleriddler

Fine, I’ll not post for a bit. Leave it to the experts, this board is very petty at times

I don’t get it? Post away about the issues at hand. You chose to leap into this thread by engaging in a two-way debate about a point that had already been addressed. You’ve taken umbrage that this has been pointed out and declared it petty.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 21:17]

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 22:25 - Nov 10 with 2837 viewsJames1980

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wrexham-afc-0-rochdale- pulsating? PULSATING really?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 23:16 - Nov 10 with 2716 views49thseason

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 17:02 - Nov 10 by nordenblue

Doolan could probably still do a better job for us,even at his age tbf....

oops edited
Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 23:34 - Nov 10 with 2679 viewsAtThePeake

Match Report:

Match Report: Wrexham 0-0 Dale 10th Nov 2019 23:30
Dale managed to avoid a potential cup upset by the skin of their teeth with a goalless draw away at Conference National outfit Wrexham. 1

Tangled up in blue.

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 23:42 - Nov 10 with 2667 views49thseason

The major problem with financing football is the cost of assembling a competitive team from a "budget", a fixed figure that is allocated to cover all circumstances, but which given injuries, lack of form etc. can quickly become either money well spent or money wasted. At the start of this season, I doubt that BBM was given a king's ransom to put his squad together and consequently ended up with a goalkeeping situation that needed unexpectedly urgent attention, making offers to players who had done OK for him in the previous seasons last few matches in the hope he might squeeze a bit more out of them and a bunch of promising kids. Clearly he couldn't cover the sort of injuries we have had so far with proven professionals and couldn't foresee that some of the contracted players were not capable of improving. I doubt he even knows what his best team is at the moment even if everyone was available.
January is crucial. A good window would see some departures of the old guard and new capable faces to give more bite and pace, unfortunately these are the players everyone wants so it's not going to be easy.
League one is such a difficult proposition, it's like the land of giants when you look at opposing teams, we play tidy football but inevitably big, physical players are too much for some of our squad to cope with over 90 minutes. There is no doubt we need some help, the arrival of McShane was timely, but unless we find some pace and some goals, its going to be a long long slog for here.
Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 23:50 - Nov 10 with 2656 viewsNigeriamark

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 23:42 - Nov 10 by 49thseason

The major problem with financing football is the cost of assembling a competitive team from a "budget", a fixed figure that is allocated to cover all circumstances, but which given injuries, lack of form etc. can quickly become either money well spent or money wasted. At the start of this season, I doubt that BBM was given a king's ransom to put his squad together and consequently ended up with a goalkeeping situation that needed unexpectedly urgent attention, making offers to players who had done OK for him in the previous seasons last few matches in the hope he might squeeze a bit more out of them and a bunch of promising kids. Clearly he couldn't cover the sort of injuries we have had so far with proven professionals and couldn't foresee that some of the contracted players were not capable of improving. I doubt he even knows what his best team is at the moment even if everyone was available.
January is crucial. A good window would see some departures of the old guard and new capable faces to give more bite and pace, unfortunately these are the players everyone wants so it's not going to be easy.
League one is such a difficult proposition, it's like the land of giants when you look at opposing teams, we play tidy football but inevitably big, physical players are too much for some of our squad to cope with over 90 minutes. There is no doubt we need some help, the arrival of McShane was timely, but unless we find some pace and some goals, its going to be a long long slog for here.

When it comes to players everyone wants i.e goalscoring forwards Sunderland payed 4 million for Will Grigg. If you add up all of our transfer fees paid since 1907 & factor in what some of the older fees would be in today's money, will we have reached half of that 1 fee in over 110 years? ( or even a quarter?)
Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 07:42 - Nov 11 with 2452 viewsEllDale

I agree with the comment about physicality.
We can play nice football but don't seem to win many second balls in midfield.
The big men that we do have like MJW don't seem to relish the nitty-gritty but would rather stroke the ball around.
I'm disappointed in Ryan. I thought that he might have been the new Peter Cavanagh.
He wasn't matchfit when he signed though and then picked up a stupid three match ban.
I'm not sure that BBM should be playing too many of our standout players at Valley Parade this week. We might as well give that particular trophy up as a bad job this season.
Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 12:40 - Nov 11 with 2183 viewsJames1980

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 21:02 - Nov 10 by fitzochris

But why couldn't we keep those teams together? I would argue it was/is we could not afford to keep key players and then found it difficult to bring in a replacements within our budget.

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 14:26 - Nov 11 with 2058 viewstony_roch975

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 19:16 - Nov 10 by fitzochris

I’m not sure of your point, full stop. Hill managed to put on both types of the football you describe with a very limited budget. It proves it’s possible. Your original point was that it needed a “gazillion” pounds. It doesn’t. It needs the right manager, willing players and a supportive infrastructure. We had that at one time. Now we don’t.

Did he - I recall some very dominant League 2 Hill teams and an equal number of more pedestrian League 1 sides. Hill's early success is over a decade ago and the financial pressures have undoubtedly increased in the interim. Therefore it may be right that Hill managed to put together some excellent passing football teams and found some real gems to recruit and that in today's financial climate that is no longer possible.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 15:07 - Nov 11 with 1974 viewsfitzochris

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 12:40 - Nov 11 by James1980

But why couldn't we keep those teams together? I would argue it was/is we could not afford to keep key players and then found it difficult to bring in a replacements within our budget.

That's the same for any team, though. The point is, he assembled a team in the first place, and he did it time after time until he seemed to have other ambitions.

In fact Hill, and Parkin before him, had a very good eye for a player who was landed on the cheap and came good under their watch - Holt, Lambert, Dagnall, Murray, Le Fondre and O'Grady are the obvious ones, but even the likes of Adam Rundle came good with the right approach.

So to say we can't play winning and attractive football because we can't afford to is over simplifying the situation.

So, again, the right manager, willing players and a supportive infrastructure. Look at those things before trotting out the cliche about money. Yes money, when applied to almost anything in life, makes things easier, but there are ways to otherwise succeed.

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 15:48 - Nov 11 with 1916 viewsJames1980

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 15:07 - Nov 11 by fitzochris

That's the same for any team, though. The point is, he assembled a team in the first place, and he did it time after time until he seemed to have other ambitions.

In fact Hill, and Parkin before him, had a very good eye for a player who was landed on the cheap and came good under their watch - Holt, Lambert, Dagnall, Murray, Le Fondre and O'Grady are the obvious ones, but even the likes of Adam Rundle came good with the right approach.

So to say we can't play winning and attractive football because we can't afford to is over simplifying the situation.

So, again, the right manager, willing players and a supportive infrastructure. Look at those things before trotting out the cliche about money. Yes money, when applied to almost anything in life, makes things easier, but there are ways to otherwise succeed.

But once the footballing fraternity see the quality of such players. Clubs like Rochdale struggle to retain them due to budget constraints.

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 15:51 - Nov 11 with 1912 viewsfitzochris

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 15:48 - Nov 11 by James1980

But once the footballing fraternity see the quality of such players. Clubs like Rochdale struggle to retain them due to budget constraints.

What are you bleating on about? That happens at every club all the way up to the top of the food chain - and even then players move to other clubs.

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 17:50 - Nov 11 with 1754 viewsDaley_Lama

2 defensive midfielders (Ryan and Morley) immediately set out our stall as negative against a team two tiers below us struggling like heck.

For the first 45 minutes Wrexham appeared to be playing for a draw. For the second they were that encouraged by our negativity, they went for the win. They had all of the decent chances and we looked exceedingly poor.

Ryan in particular was as negative a roll as you ever did see. He could turn attack into defence in a thrice and medium pace into snails pace in a heartbeat. If that what he was in the team to do then can should be with the manager.

Pyke looks seriously short of confidence - god knows why he didn't shoot in the early minutes when through
Done looked equally tentative

The subs in no way improved the team and we really missed MJ in the hole and OMR in front.

We are damned lucky to be in the hat, however a similar performance in the replay would make that irrelevant as Wrexham surely won't be as unlucky twice over.

Poll: DF in or out

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 18:09 - Nov 11 with 1716 viewsblackdogblue

Just read BBM’s review....

“In any game against a team of this calibre, depending on how well they play, it’s going to be a difficult game.

Calibre?? There currently 4th from the bottom of the conference ffs...

Be honest Brian, they were up for the magic of the cup & we were not

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 19:33 - Nov 11 with 1570 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 18:09 - Nov 11 by blackdogblue

Just read BBM’s review....

“In any game against a team of this calibre, depending on how well they play, it’s going to be a difficult game.

Calibre?? There currently 4th from the bottom of the conference ffs...

Be honest Brian, they were up for the magic of the cup & we were not

Again quoting from the BBC Reporter at the game yesterday....."Rochdale have the quality,but Wrexham have the guts"

Presume the guy was not biased in any way.
Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 20:14 - Nov 12 with 1196 viewsJames1980

Wrexham (A) - Match Thread on 15:51 - Nov 11 by fitzochris

What are you bleating on about? That happens at every club all the way up to the top of the food chain - and even then players move to other clubs.

Apologies some of what I said was borne of frustration.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024