Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calvin's Last Goal 11:53 - Nov 9 with 4231 viewsisitme

When did Calvin last score for us?
Calvin's Last Goal on 12:35 - Nov 9 with 4184 viewsmeeee

8th of December, Wimbledon at home last season maybe?
Calvin's Last Goal on 13:02 - Nov 9 with 4136 viewsEllDale

To be fair he hasn't a lot of game time this season. Am I right in saying that the only time he's started a game was at centre-half at Wimbledon?
And he took a great penalty at Old Trafford.
On the other hand he had should scored against Sunderland with a free header from less than ten yards out.
Calvin's Last Goal on 14:48 - Nov 9 with 4039 viewsTVOS1907

Calvin's Last Goal on 12:35 - Nov 9 by meeee

8th of December, Wimbledon at home last season maybe?

Away at Wimbledon

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Calvin's Last Goal on 00:45 - Nov 10 with 3699 viewsbocadave

According to soccerbase Calvin signed for Dale on 25/7/14. 91starts+92 as sub with the grand total of 24 lge goals. Career total since 1/9/04 178 starts +201 as sub 37 lge goals over 12 clubs including Dale. The phrase cows arse and banjo spring to mind.
Calvin's Last Goal on 06:45 - Nov 10 with 3625 viewsrichfoad32

Calvin's Last Goal on 00:45 - Nov 10 by bocadave

According to soccerbase Calvin signed for Dale on 25/7/14. 91starts+92 as sub with the grand total of 24 lge goals. Career total since 1/9/04 178 starts +201 as sub 37 lge goals over 12 clubs including Dale. The phrase cows arse and banjo spring to mind.

Many of those league clubs were fleeting loan appearances. The only teams he has spent significant periods with are ourselves, Crystal Palace and Luton. Even then he's made over three times as many appearances for us than the next highest (Palace). Keith Hill is (was) a highly respected manager and he must've seen summat in Calvin that the majority are missing. I'm sure BBM would've offloaded him by now if at all possible. I certainly don't hate him and think he's been a solid servant for the club, has there been any other player who has so polarised the fanbase?
Calvin's Last Goal on 07:30 - Nov 10 with 3593 viewsnordenblue

Calvin's Last Goal on 06:45 - Nov 10 by richfoad32

Many of those league clubs were fleeting loan appearances. The only teams he has spent significant periods with are ourselves, Crystal Palace and Luton. Even then he's made over three times as many appearances for us than the next highest (Palace). Keith Hill is (was) a highly respected manager and he must've seen summat in Calvin that the majority are missing. I'm sure BBM would've offloaded him by now if at all possible. I certainly don't hate him and think he's been a solid servant for the club, has there been any other player who has so polarised the fanbase?

Do we know BBM hasn't tried to offload him?
Calvin's Last Goal on 07:44 - Nov 10 with 3576 viewsrichfoad32

Calvin's Last Goal on 07:30 - Nov 10 by nordenblue

Do we know BBM hasn't tried to offload him?

Many comments from the 'in the knowers' on here suggested that we'd have gladly got rid over the last year or so but for one reason or another (high wages?) it hasn't happened.
Calvin's Last Goal on 08:59 - Nov 10 with 3497 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Calvin's Last Goal on 06:45 - Nov 10 by richfoad32

Nobody hates him. The vast majority of his critics, myself included, very much appreciate his effort, physicality, defensive qualities (I don’t mean this facetiously) and his commitment to the cause and club. Our criticism is not just the lack of goals it’s the general lack of effectiveness/influence in and around the opposition goal. Calvin is not just goal shy, he’s also not a creator of goals either. He’s very good at defending set pieces and winning the ball with his back to goal. Quite how his aerial dominance doesn’t translate into more Dale goals (whether scored by him or otherwise) is one of life’s great mysteries.
His admirers rightly point to the other aspects of his game which, for them, make up for his lack of goals/creativity. His critics think that goals/creativity are prerequisites to being a forward.
He’s also not a centre half.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Login to get fewer ads

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:01 - Nov 10 with 3345 viewsD_Alien

Let's not forget Calvin's first goal of 2018, in the 0-1 FA Cup victory at Doncaster that led to our games against Millwall and, of course, Spurs

How much was that goal worth, in terms not only of cash in the bank (whatever we did with it) but the kind of glory that for Dale fans is utterly priceless

It seems he's fallen out of favour with BBM and it's time for him to move on. That's fair enough, but i'll remember him for several iconic goals. The one mentioned above, the last gasp winner against Port Vale on an Easter Monday, an equalizer away at Coventry and the one at Bradford City. He should've been scoring more, obviously, but he won't be the last forward we have in that category and overall he's been a good servant of the club

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:26 - Nov 10 with 3302 viewsJames1980

The impression given is that he is a popular chap amongst his colleagues.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:34 - Nov 10 with 3277 viewsjonahwhereru

I was there for that last goal.

His path to Dale’s meant he was on the back foot with some fans before he even kick or headed a ball. As it should be the respect he garnered had to be earned. So credit to him that aside from the odd silly “stealing a wage” comment even his critics have time for the man.

Don’t see many games for myself but for sure he has transformed some games, when replacing Bunney up top in the second half in particular. A Southend supporter I know said to me “he was unplayable in that second half”. That contributed to Dale drawing 2 all from 2 down.
You can’t be great every game (look at Hendo) but I would agree we haven’t seen enough of that Calvin. Consistency in serving it up to defenders is not his strong point.

Where ever Calvin ends up when he leaves us I wish him all the best, simply because I like the bloke.
Calvin's Last Goal on 11:38 - Nov 10 with 3270 viewsJames1980

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:34 - Nov 10 by jonahwhereru

I was there for that last goal.

His path to Dale’s meant he was on the back foot with some fans before he even kick or headed a ball. As it should be the respect he garnered had to be earned. So credit to him that aside from the odd silly “stealing a wage” comment even his critics have time for the man.

Don’t see many games for myself but for sure he has transformed some games, when replacing Bunney up top in the second half in particular. A Southend supporter I know said to me “he was unplayable in that second half”. That contributed to Dale drawing 2 all from 2 down.
You can’t be great every game (look at Hendo) but I would agree we haven’t seen enough of that Calvin. Consistency in serving it up to defenders is not his strong point.

Where ever Calvin ends up when he leaves us I wish him all the best, simply because I like the bloke.

Was that the game where we scored an equaliser from a free kick?

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:53 - Nov 10 with 3244 viewsrichfoad32

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:38 - Nov 10 by James1980

Was that the game where we scored an equaliser from a free kick?

Yup, Michael Rose. 2-0 down at HT, game looked over. Calvin and Mendez-Laing on in the second half completely turned it around.
Calvin's Last Goal on 15:38 - Nov 10 with 3074 viewsJames1980

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:53 - Nov 10 by richfoad32

Yup, Michael Rose. 2-0 down at HT, game looked over. Calvin and Mendez-Laing on in the second half completely turned it around.

Yes, thank you, felt like a victory.

Calvin's Last Goal on 15:52 - Nov 10 with 3041 viewsDareToCalvin

Calvin's Last Goal on 11:53 - Nov 10 by richfoad32

Didn't Joe Bunney score the 1st, before Rose then equalised from the free kick?
Calvin's Last Goal on 16:31 - Nov 10 with 2982 viewsjonahwhereru

Calvin's Last Goal on 15:52 - Nov 10 by DareToCalvin

Didn't Joe Bunney score the 1st, before Rose then equalised from the free kick?

Yes that’s right.

Was an amazing game, as we managed to turn it into a cup tie like atmosphere in the second half. Best I have ever seen Calvin play that day, and he didn’t score.
Mind you did see him score a peach of a goal at Colchester, just the once.
Calvin's Last Goal on 19:43 - Nov 10 with 2841 viewsDareToCalvin

Remember he scored a beauty away at Port Vale when we lost 4-1 there a few years ago. Obviously my account name may make it appear like I'm biased but every club needs a target man for a Plan B which is why I think Calvin needs holding on to (I'm aware we have Wilbraham as well). Although he's always struggled with the ball at his feet, for me he's the best aerial threat I've still ever seen at Dale, winning most if not all headers and more often than not finding a blue shirt with them. His effort and character can also not be questioned.
Despite the obvious lack of goals, I think he's been a great servant for us.
Calvin's Last Goal on 07:20 - Nov 11 with 2591 viewssweetcorn

Calvin's Last Goal on 07:44 - Nov 10 by richfoad32

Many comments from the 'in the knowers' on here suggested that we'd have gladly got rid over the last year or so but for one reason or another (high wages?) it hasn't happened.

The reason is fairly simple. He’s terrible at football.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 20:48]

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Calvin's Last Goal on 09:44 - Nov 11 with 2515 viewsParkinsGimp

He has been a woeful signing, his record is appauling. I really dont see what he brings to the team at all , he rarely wins headers and if he does that ball doesnt go to a Dale player.
We should of got shot when he did his disgusting cowardly attack on the biffo. Fancy a sucker elbow when they are not looking.
Waste of a wage
Calvin's Last Goal on 15:14 - Nov 11 with 2300 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Calvin's Last Goal on 09:44 - Nov 11 by ParkinsGimp

He has been a woeful signing, his record is appauling. I really dont see what he brings to the team at all , he rarely wins headers and if he does that ball doesnt go to a Dale player.
We should of got shot when he did his disgusting cowardly attack on the biffo. Fancy a sucker elbow when they are not looking.
Waste of a wage

It’s not a case of him not winning headers, he wins plenty of headers. The issue is how can someone so good at winning headers, and be the fine physical specimen that he is, be so ineffectual in or around the opposition box. He’s baffling. It’s almost as if he thinks winning the initial header, which he inadvertently does, is job done for him. He should be straining every sinew to be getting on the end of things in the box because if he did, with his physicality, he be bloody dangerous. Instead, when the ball is in the box he’s so stationary and just watches. It’s as if he thinks ‘not my job’. Bizarre player. In games he can literally clear every corner we concede but get absolutely nowhere near every corner we take.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 15:18]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Calvin's Last Goal on 15:32 - Nov 11 with 2268 viewsnordenblue

Calvin's Last Goal on 15:14 - Nov 11 by BigDaveMyCock

It’s not a case of him not winning headers, he wins plenty of headers. The issue is how can someone so good at winning headers, and be the fine physical specimen that he is, be so ineffectual in or around the opposition box. He’s baffling. It’s almost as if he thinks winning the initial header, which he inadvertently does, is job done for him. He should be straining every sinew to be getting on the end of things in the box because if he did, with his physicality, he be bloody dangerous. Instead, when the ball is in the box he’s so stationary and just watches. It’s as if he thinks ‘not my job’. Bizarre player. In games he can literally clear every corner we concede but get absolutely nowhere near every corner we take.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 15:18]

Your last line sums him up perfectly,I like the fella and for how strong he is in the air,how the hell he doesn't cause havoc in the opposition's box is one of life's big mysteries.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024