Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most Unexpected Win 18:42 - Dec 7 with 5427 viewsmikehunt

After I heard Radio Manchester’s reporter inform us that Dale had 9 injuries for today I expected nothing less than a 5-0 drubbing. Wow! What a great win.
Off the top of my head one of our most unexpected victories was during the Real Great Escape season when we were rock bottom and well adrift but went to top of the table Barnsley and won 3-0. That was the start of that season’s escape. Had we finished in the bottom four I doubt if Rochdale would even have a team now.
Any advance on that?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Most Unexpected Win on 18:52 - Dec 7 with 4286 viewsEllDale

Good comparison that.
I remember us winning at Preston on their plastic pitch when nobody gave us a prayer. Think it was 4-2 that night.
Most Unexpected Win on 19:00 - Dec 7 with 4246 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

The 7-2 at Stockport, think they’d just set a club record for consecutive wins before we went there & mullared them...
Most Unexpected Win on 19:01 - Dec 7 with 4236 viewsBartRowou

There was a 2-1 win at Preston in 1996 (I think) which is similar to today as we were 5-1 at the bookies on both occasions.

To compare it to the other Preston one is a bit of an exaggeration as them were Armageddon days.

Besides, if we maintain this form, we can beat Burton (really poor at home) and might be top half by Christmas (technically, 12th is bottom half but that's Bury's problem).

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Most Unexpected Win on 19:03 - Dec 7 with 4218 viewsrickyprickles

The win at Burnley with nine men, early ninety’s I think
Most Unexpected Win on 19:41 - Dec 7 with 4034 viewsShun

Most Unexpected Win on 19:00 - Dec 7 by Plattyswrinklynuts

The 7-2 at Stockport, think they’d just set a club record for consecutive wins before we went there & mullared them...

They’d set a record for most consecutive clean sheets I think.
Most Unexpected Win on 19:59 - Dec 7 with 3932 viewsfinberty

Most Unexpected Win on 19:03 - Dec 7 by rickyprickles

Aye, when big Alex Jones came on as sub and targeted John Francis who had just seriously assaulted Jimmy Graham. In my memory, Alex lasted about five minutes before the inevitable straight red. Keith Welch stopped everything, as did (if memory serves) Tony Brown, the remaining centre back.

Who else saw red that day?
Most Unexpected Win on 20:19 - Dec 7 with 3821 viewskiwidale

Most Unexpected Win on 19:41 - Dec 7 by Shun

They’d set a record for most consecutive clean sheets I think.

Stockport had been on a 10 win streak with clean sheets but the game prior to ours they drew 3-3 with Hartlepool TVOS will be able to confirm.

This is not the time for bickering.

Most Unexpected Win on 20:19 - Dec 7 with 3821 viewsBromsgroveDale

Most Unexpected Win on 18:52 - Dec 7 by EllDale

Good comparison that.
I remember us winning at Preston on their plastic pitch when nobody gave us a prayer. Think it was 4-2 that night.

Preston only conceded 18 goals in the league at home that season which makes the 4 scored by Dale in this game all the more impressive.

Formerly Bournemouth Dale

Login to get fewer ads

Most Unexpected Win on 20:21 - Dec 7 with 3809 viewsTVOS1907

Most Unexpected Win on 19:59 - Dec 7 by finberty

Aye, when big Alex Jones came on as sub and targeted John Francis who had just seriously assaulted Jimmy Graham. In my memory, Alex lasted about five minutes before the inevitable straight red. Keith Welch stopped everything, as did (if memory serves) Tony Brown, the remaining centre back.

Who else saw red that day?

You're mixing up your games.

Francis was targeted in the FA Cup game in 1993. Welch played in 1990.

Burns and O'Shaughnessy were sent off in 1990, Thackeray and Jones in 1993, plus Monington for Burnley.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 20:23]

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Most Unexpected Win on 20:23 - Dec 7 with 3806 viewsBromsgroveDale

Attended this match with my late grandfather. Still probably my best memory of an away game supporting Dale. Burnley threw the proverbial kitchen sink at the Dale goal in the second half but some things are just meant to be.....

Formerly Bournemouth Dale

Most Unexpected Win on 20:32 - Dec 7 with 3763 viewsPotterDale

Referee was Terry Lunt. From that day onwards he got the inevitable moniker in our house.
Most Unexpected Win on 20:41 - Dec 7 with 3710 viewsjustanillusion

Good comparison that.

What a night and like you say unexpected win! Can still remember defender Ian Johnson scoring a goal then going on a crazy goal celebration the full length of pitch in shock at what he'd just done
Most Unexpected Win on 21:22 - Dec 7 with 3616 viewsfinberty

Most Unexpected Win on 20:21 - Dec 7 by TVOS1907

You're mixing up your games.

Francis was targeted in the FA Cup game in 1993. Welch played in 1990.

Burns and O'Shaughnessy were sent off in 1990, Thackeray and Jones in 1993, plus Monington for Burnley.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 20:23]

Thanks TVOS.
You've straightened me out on this same point not long back. Not sinking in.

In that case, who was our keeper? Was it Burnley's own David Williams, or someone else?
Most Unexpected Win on 21:52 - Dec 7 with 3530 viewsTVOS1907

Most Unexpected Win on 21:22 - Dec 7 by finberty

Thanks TVOS.
You've straightened me out on this same point not long back. Not sinking in.

In that case, who was our keeper? Was it Burnley's own David Williams, or someone else?

Martin Hodge

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Most Unexpected Win on 22:31 - Dec 7 with 3410 viewsfinberty

Most Unexpected Win on 21:52 - Dec 7 by TVOS1907

Martin Hodge

Cheers. Went to both matches but over time these became one legend. Or fantasy, since I've clearly forgotten the key details.
Most Unexpected Win on 10:41 - Dec 8 with 2992 viewsBillyRudd

Good comparison that.

I remember the Dale fans chanting "We want a plastic pitch". Think I floated on air returning home. Did Lyndon Simmonds score that night? My memory is shocking.
Most Unexpected Win on 10:55 - Dec 8 with 2958 viewsR17ALE

Most Unexpected Win on 10:41 - Dec 8 by BillyRudd

I remember the Dale fans chanting "We want a plastic pitch". Think I floated on air returning home. Did Lyndon Simmonds score that night? My memory is shocking.

I think he scored twice at the far end. I remember that night fondly.

And to the OP. They're all unexpected!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Most Unexpected Win on 11:13 - Dec 8 with 2916 viewsTVOS1907

Most Unexpected Win on 10:55 - Dec 8 by R17ALE

Ian Johnson, Lyndon Simmonds & Robbie Wakenshaw (2).

Most Unexpected Win on 14:03 - Dec 8 with 2748 viewsBillyRudd

Most Unexpected Win on 10:55 - Dec 8 by R17ALE

Thanks R17ALE and TVOS.
Privilege to have seen both Big Reg and Henderson and not detracting from their service to the cause when I ask is it to far fetched to say Simmonds service has been the greatest in terms of importance to the clubs survival and thus the pleasure we now get from our exalted position? Not asking in terms of appearances, goals scored etc, but just in terms of sheer impact on the club at a dire time.
As previously stated my memory is awful so I may be looking back with rose tinted specs!
Most Unexpected Win on 14:09 - Dec 8 with 2735 viewsTVOS1907

Most Unexpected Win on 14:03 - Dec 8 by BillyRudd

Thanks R17ALE and TVOS.
Privilege to have seen both Big Reg and Henderson and not detracting from their service to the cause when I ask is it to far fetched to say Simmonds service has been the greatest in terms of importance to the clubs survival and thus the pleasure we now get from our exalted position? Not asking in terms of appearances, goals scored etc, but just in terms of sheer impact on the club at a dire time.
As previously stated my memory is awful so I may be looking back with rose tinted specs!

I've got the Preston game on DVD, but it would take some copying and fancy editing skills to get the relevant bits of it on YouTube. I might get round to it one day.

Most Unexpected Win on 14:16 - Dec 8 with 2712 viewsBillyRudd

Most Unexpected Win on 14:09 - Dec 8 by TVOS1907

I've got the Preston game on DVD, but it would take some copying and fancy editing skills to get the relevant bits of it on YouTube. I might get round to it one day.

Be sure to flag it up TVOS if you do.
Most Unexpected Win on 14:33 - Dec 8 with 2679 viewsTVOS1907

Most Unexpected Win on 14:16 - Dec 8 by BillyRudd

Be sure to flag it up TVOS if you do.

I will.

Most Unexpected Win on 14:57 - Dec 8 with 2646 viewsCleedale

Talking of memorable matches and seeing we've just beaten Rotherham; anyone remember what I think was an evening match at Millmoor?

From memory Monington was sent off (think Hilly was the other CH) and they just attacked, attacked and attacked, but couldn't score.

Almost certain it was in 2nd half injury time that we broke away in space (obviously)! and the ball came to Graeme Atkinson out on the left (the right as he was heading towards the Dale away end). Seemed like forever as he raced goalwards but slotted it cleanly into the bottom far corner of the net.

It went wild! A Greeeeaaaat time. Not sure but guess that might have been our first ever victory against them?? If not, then at their ground; TVOS?
Most Unexpected Win on 15:15 - Dec 8 with 2609 viewsTVOS1907

Most Unexpected Win on 14:57 - Dec 8 by Cleedale

Talking of memorable matches and seeing we've just beaten Rotherham; anyone remember what I think was an evening match at Millmoor?

From memory Monington was sent off (think Hilly was the other CH) and they just attacked, attacked and attacked, but couldn't score.

Almost certain it was in 2nd half injury time that we broke away in space (obviously)! and the ball came to Graeme Atkinson out on the left (the right as he was heading towards the Dale away end). Seemed like forever as he raced goalwards but slotted it cleanly into the bottom far corner of the net.

It went wild! A Greeeeaaaat time. Not sure but guess that might have been our first ever victory against them?? If not, then at their ground; TVOS?

Close, but no cigar!!

Saturday 18th September 1999, Kick-off 3.00pm.

It was actually our 61st league game v Rotherham and the 19th time we had beaten them. Five of those wins had been at Millmoor, although the previous one was back in the 1930/31 season.

(If you can't get the video to play, it's on YouTube. Search for Rotherham Rochdale 1999)
[Post edited 8 Dec 2019 15:16]

Most Unexpected Win on 15:28 - Dec 8 with 2576 viewsCleedale

Thanks TVOS.

Never realised we'd had so many wins against them; how having a great time can fog...just about everything!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024