Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gone To The Dogs 12:00 - Dec 23 with 4116 viewsdeeplishblue

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/belle-vue-h

Reported on MEN that Belle Vue dog track is to be demolished for housing. Also reports that the track is currently owned by the "Crown Oil Pension Fund"

Better not sell our ground to our sponsors otherwise we might end up with houses on it !

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Gone To The Dogs on 12:05 - Dec 23 with 4086 viewsjudd

Ace

Poll: What is it to be then?

Gone To The Dogs on 12:42 - Dec 23 with 4005 viewsboromat

Could make a good venue for a training complex

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Gone To The Dogs on 13:22 - Dec 23 with 3948 viewsrochdaleriddler

Good

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Gone To The Dogs on 18:26 - Dec 23 with 3787 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Good riddance.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Gone To The Dogs on 18:59 - Dec 23 with 3732 viewsfirgrovedale51

Gone To The Dogs on 18:26 - Dec 23 by foreverhopefulDale

Good riddance.

Another great institution gone partly because of ignorant people
Gone To The Dogs on 19:10 - Dec 23 with 3716 viewsEllDale

Sad really. Last surviving remnant of the great Belle Vue entertainment complex.
Went there to greyhounds, speedway, boxing, the circus.
Happy days.
Gone To The Dogs on 19:36 - Dec 23 with 3672 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Gone To The Dogs on 18:59 - Dec 23 by firgrovedale51

Another great institution gone partly because of ignorant people

Many of the people who went or go to greyhounds racing are ignorant, ignorant of the misery caused to thousands of the animals, killed off when no longer useful to their ungrateful owners. If they are not ignorant, they just don’t care what happens to these beautiful animals. Same with horse racing.

https://evoke.ie/2019/06/30/news/irish-news/opinion-greyhound-racing

Gone To The Dogs on 20:02 - Dec 23 with 3641 viewsfirgrovedale51

Gone To The Dogs on 19:36 - Dec 23 by foreverhopefulDale

Many of the people who went or go to greyhounds racing are ignorant, ignorant of the misery caused to thousands of the animals, killed off when no longer useful to their ungrateful owners. If they are not ignorant, they just don’t care what happens to these beautiful animals. Same with horse racing.

I dont rely on second hand informatiion I have seen for myself Ihave been to many kennels seen how these dogs are treated
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 20:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Gone To The Dogs on 20:17 - Dec 23 with 3609 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Gone To The Dogs on 20:02 - Dec 23 by firgrovedale51

I dont rely on second hand informatiion I have seen for myself Ihave been to many kennels seen how these dogs are treated

No one has ever said that all owners are bad, and all dogs are treated badly. There are clearly some brilliant owners out there, including the example you gave.

Gone To The Dogs on 20:18 - Dec 23 with 3607 viewsjonahwhereru

Wow hold on! There are plenty of good greyhound owners as well as many bad ones. I never abandoned any dog that ran in my name they each came home. A three plus year racing career and usually dead by ten means you have to manage dog ownership and only buy a dog when you know you can retire it.

Would add that the dogs are usually open farm reared. In racing kennels they are well cared for and have to pass a vet before they can run in any race. They do not all get doped up and abused. So a little perspective required here.

As for Belle Vue loved the fairground when I visited as a kid, and my great uncle took me to the dogs before he died. So I am sad to see it’s demise.
Gone To The Dogs on 20:20 - Dec 23 with 3596 viewsDale23years

Gone To The Dogs on 20:02 - Dec 23 by firgrovedale51

Stop dealing in facts

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Gone To The Dogs on 20:21 - Dec 23 with 3590 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Gone To The Dogs on 20:18 - Dec 23 by jonahwhereru

Wow hold on! There are plenty of good greyhound owners as well as many bad ones. I never abandoned any dog that ran in my name they each came home. A three plus year racing career and usually dead by ten means you have to manage dog ownership and only buy a dog when you know you can retire it.

Would add that the dogs are usually open farm reared. In racing kennels they are well cared for and have to pass a vet before they can run in any race. They do not all get doped up and abused. So a little perspective required here.

As for Belle Vue loved the fairground when I visited as a kid, and my great uncle took me to the dogs before he died. So I am sad to see it’s demise.

Yes I agree, have just acknowledged that above. Well done to you fir looking after these beautiful animals so well.

Gone To The Dogs on 20:25 - Dec 23 with 3556 viewsDaleFan7

Couldnt be any further from the truth with horse racing. I'd love to live the equivalent human life that a race horse lives. Treated like royalty and doted on everyday by those that look after them.
Gone To The Dogs on 20:44 - Dec 23 with 3535 viewsjonahwhereru

Gone To The Dogs on 20:21 - Dec 23 by foreverhopefulDale

Yes I agree, have just acknowledged that above. Well done to you fir looking after these beautiful animals so well.

Do you have retired dogs? Beautiful but bone idle. At one time I had two at home at the same time. Other than walking the only way I could exercise them was to hand slip them with the incentive needing to be a bar of Milky Way to race to. Only trouble was I had to do this about 5:30 in the morning to make sure they didn’t end up chasing down some small dog taking its morning exercise. Think they thought tennis balls were for wimps, never showed any interest in one.

Enjoyed those times.
Gone To The Dogs on 21:02 - Dec 23 with 3502 viewsEllDale

Did anyone ever go to the dogs at Hornets many years ago?
I never did but I’ve heard stories of dogs being given pints of water before a race so they couldn’t run properly!
Just after the war tens of thousands used to attend greyhound meetings but there was no legal off course betting in those days. There was even a greyhound track round Wembley.
Gone To The Dogs on 02:44 - Dec 24 with 3129 viewspioneer

Gone To The Dogs on 21:02 - Dec 23 by EllDale

Did anyone ever go to the dogs at Hornets many years ago?
I never did but I’ve heard stories of dogs being given pints of water before a race so they couldn’t run properly!
Just after the war tens of thousands used to attend greyhound meetings but there was no legal off course betting in those days. There was even a greyhound track round Wembley.

Never went, but they were still holding dog meetings in 1960s when i first went to Hornets.

The players had to run over boards crossing the dog track to get to the field.
Gone To The Dogs on 07:47 - Dec 24 with 2969 viewsEllDale

The track itself was floodlit but the pitch wasn't. I also remember the big totalisator board behind the posts at the Kingsway end.
I think the crowds had been dwindling for quite a while and the speedway track was installed in time for the 1970 season.
Gone To The Dogs on 13:10 - Dec 24 with 2695 viewsjonahwhereru

Gone To The Dogs on 07:47 - Dec 24 by EllDale

The track itself was floodlit but the pitch wasn't. I also remember the big totalisator board behind the posts at the Kingsway end.
I think the crowds had been dwindling for quite a while and the speedway track was installed in time for the 1970 season.

I had a relative race a dog at the Hornets at one time. It was a flapping track where you trained them yourself. A bloke once asked him if he would let the dog smell a whiskey before it raced. He agreed and the dog bolted up. So a couple of races later he thought he would try the same trick on the dog himself. Had a whiskey under its nose about an hour before it raced. Made no difference at all. Yes there were some shady dealings back then.
On Wembley a bitch of mine won on the TV there about 30 years ago. She had to cross the pitch to be presented with a trophy. So she took the chance to piss in the centre circle. That sadly is my claim to fame.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024