Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham away - an Exiles view 21:37 - Dec 29 with 4615 viewssuffolkdale

As I normally read comments on here and watch highlights to gain my view of a game/players it is interesting today to read the comments having actually been to the game. My view of the players first:
Sanchez - first rate performance, good to have a keeper who will come out and collect the ball if necessary- nullified the Evans long throw merchant. Cruelly ironic the goal should come from mis communication on a cross.
Magloire - exactly as it 'said on the tin' when we signed him - young and full of promise but still learning. Did a good job first half as right back, wish he could have stayed there in the second half!
Keohane- gives everything, as soon as he goes off you realise what he contributes.
O'Connell- another who plays with his heart on his sleeve and had an excellent game particularly in the second half when he was surrounded by inexperience. See Sanchez re the cruel irony of the goal.......
McShane- QUALITY- as soon as I realised he was in the team my hopes were lifted, and a major reason to me why we were relatively comfortable in the first half. Him going off at half time changed the whole nature of the game.
Williams- never really been convinced by him and the sending off was stupid - he wasn't the only one who was frustrated but getting yourself sent off solves nothing.
Dooley- puts in a shift but often seems to be on the periphery- not the type of winger who 'skins' the full back and puts in dangerous crosses. In fact in previous games it seems like the full backs are the most dangerous crossers of the ball
Camps- almost playing too far forward in this game. Not at his best and still prone to lose the ball in dangerous situations
Rathbone- traditionally one of my favourite players but had an absolute 'mare' today. Is he fully fit?
Baah - talented youngster, worth a try given the injury situation but apart from one excellent shot in the second half, very peripheral to the action
Wilbraham- a lonely job given the present formation and didn't really look up for it. Hardly won a header all game
Gilliam - did all right overall, is defender his new position? Certainly not going to make it at this level as a forward.
Matheson - suddenly looks what he is - a youth in men's football. Constantly exposed us in the second half. Really needs a break and to 'beef' up!
Andrew- Did more in 20 minutes than Wilbraham did in 70 - oh so nearly nicked an equaliser when bravely heading just wide.
BBM - his analysis of the game was spot on, what more can he do with players he has available? The injuries are worse than I can ever remember and the weaknesses show all over the pitch. What you cannot fault however is the team's effort - clearly they are still playing for the manager and the club.
Referee - one of the worst I have seen for a long time, constantly giving fouls against us and when you are under the cosh as we were in the second half that is the last thing you need. Once Gillingham scored they time wasted- he just shrugged his shoulders and ran off, contrast that to our player bookings.The awful Mr Evans must have been delighted with the referee's 'performance'.
Overall proud to support a set of players who are giving their all but BBM must feel like the little Dutch boy and the dike. As soon as he fills one hole another two spring open. We badly need both reinforcements and a bit of luck!
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 22:22]
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 21:53 - Dec 29 with 3726 viewsNigeriamark

Good review and can't argue with much of that. However regarding the Andrew chance, he got there first, it was a pinpoint cross and because the goalie had got himself in no mans land a header anywhere on target would have gone in. Perhaps a bit harsh but I think a striker should have scored

Defence & keeper are playing out of their skins to keep us in games but an average midfield and weak forward play usually mean that if we go behind it is virtually game over

Coulldn't agree more about McShane & a pity he is injury prone. However if he wasn't he probably wouldn't be here anyway. Quality
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 21:56 - Dec 29 with 3707 viewsfitzochris

You watched a different game than me, especially if you saw a dead German composer playing for us.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 22:24 - Dec 29 with 3628 viewssuffolkdale

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 21:56 - Dec 29 by fitzochris

You watched a different game than me, especially if you saw a dead German composer playing for us.

Ah the joys of auto correct- tried three times to type Baah! Did the rest of the review equate with your view of the game?
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 22:25]
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 22:38 - Dec 29 with 3573 viewsFrites

How many away fans today? I still think you deserve a medal for going! Found your report fascinating and having now read BBM's comments he agrees with you ........
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 22:53 - Dec 29 with 3527 viewsfitzochris

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 22:24 - Dec 29 by suffolkdale

Ah the joys of auto correct- tried three times to type Baah! Did the rest of the review equate with your view of the game?
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 22:25]

Most of it, yeah. I disagree that BBM got it right, though. I also think that, despite the effort put in, a lot of players seem to be going backwards in terms of performance.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 08:13 - Dec 30 with 3286 views56years

A fascinating insight from a true supporter who is not a regular 'watcher'. As a matter of interest how many away fans were there?
I do wonder whether the club will look to 'cash in' on Hendo while he still has some monetary value in January rather than see him walk away for free in July. A head or heart decision, but in all honesty if he goes then the likelihood of League 2 increases.
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 08:32 - Dec 30 with 3259 viewsFrites

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 08:13 - Dec 30 by 56years

A fascinating insight from a true supporter who is not a regular 'watcher'. As a matter of interest how many away fans were there?
I do wonder whether the club will look to 'cash in' on Hendo while he still has some monetary value in January rather than see him walk away for free in July. A head or heart decision, but in all honesty if he goes then the likelihood of League 2 increases.

115 away fans according to the Gillingham website - 115 brave souls - well done to them!
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 08:37 - Dec 30 with 3251 viewsmacro

115 Dale fans yesterday

First half was very even in a poor game. Have to agree that the loss of McShane was crucial. Again too many players had poor performances - Camps, Rathbone, Dooley all poor especially in the second half meant that there was no attacking threat. With Accy doing so well at the moment I fear another defeat looms
Login to get fewer ads

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 09:44 - Dec 30 with 3171 viewstodmordendale

Camps, Dooley and Rathbonio are less effective because of the slow movement out of defence. This is exacerbated by playing 2 defensive midfielders who seem intent on playing backwards or sideways. By the time the ball does reach the midfield, the opposition have had loads of time to regroup and close our players down. They are not bad players but the negative tactics are not helping them. We are not ManCity orBarcelona who piss about for ages because they are skilful and adept at keeping possession.
O’Connell driving forward is sometimes the only intent ever shown; it releases our wing backs. He is such a colossus, but he cannot do everything.
Most teams we play move the ball forward quickly with good running and purpose, putting us on the back foot. I don’t often see the hoof ball tactics from opposition either.
I think our ethic has moved from “no fear” football to “complete fear”.
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:02 - Dec 30 with 3132 viewsNewbury_Dale

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 09:44 - Dec 30 by todmordendale

Camps, Dooley and Rathbonio are less effective because of the slow movement out of defence. This is exacerbated by playing 2 defensive midfielders who seem intent on playing backwards or sideways. By the time the ball does reach the midfield, the opposition have had loads of time to regroup and close our players down. They are not bad players but the negative tactics are not helping them. We are not ManCity orBarcelona who piss about for ages because they are skilful and adept at keeping possession.
O’Connell driving forward is sometimes the only intent ever shown; it releases our wing backs. He is such a colossus, but he cannot do everything.
Most teams we play move the ball forward quickly with good running and purpose, putting us on the back foot. I don’t often see the hoof ball tactics from opposition either.
I think our ethic has moved from “no fear” football to “complete fear”.

Hard to comprehend really from BBM. The tactics that got us out of the hole last season have been replaced by those which ultimately got Hill the sack.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 10:03]
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:35 - Dec 30 with 3066 viewspioneer

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 21:53 - Dec 29 by Nigeriamark

Good review and can't argue with much of that. However regarding the Andrew chance, he got there first, it was a pinpoint cross and because the goalie had got himself in no mans land a header anywhere on target would have gone in. Perhaps a bit harsh but I think a striker should have scored

Defence & keeper are playing out of their skins to keep us in games but an average midfield and weak forward play usually mean that if we go behind it is virtually game over

Coulldn't agree more about McShane & a pity he is injury prone. However if he wasn't he probably wouldn't be here anyway. Quality

Got to wonder why we didnt know he was injury prone before we signed him. Cleary not having signed for anyone else and was available for nothing well into the season should have rung some bells.

Got to wonder what sort of a medical he was put through and by whom.
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:37 - Dec 30 with 3050 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:35 - Dec 30 by pioneer

Got to wonder why we didnt know he was injury prone before we signed him. Cleary not having signed for anyone else and was available for nothing well into the season should have rung some bells.

Got to wonder what sort of a medical he was put through and by whom.

Of course we knew, but it was a chance worth taking

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:40 - Dec 30 with 3050 viewspioneer

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:37 - Dec 30 by D_Alien

Of course we knew, but it was a chance worth taking

but one no other club thought worth taking.
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:42 - Dec 30 with 3035 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:40 - Dec 30 by pioneer

Different point altogether

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 11:44 - Dec 30 with 2949 viewspioneer

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:42 - Dec 30 by D_Alien

Different point altogether

Not really....the notion that we are or have been unlucky with injuries, particularly among defenders, has been mentioned on here several times. I don’t think it’s about bad luck when you sign players who are known to be injury prone. More money (you know, that stuff we are supposed to be short of) going to players who don’t or cannot play.

Although we will never know, it would be interesting to have information on what the medical report said about him.
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 12:13 - Dec 30 with 2893 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 11:44 - Dec 30 by pioneer

Not really....the notion that we are or have been unlucky with injuries, particularly among defenders, has been mentioned on here several times. I don’t think it’s about bad luck when you sign players who are known to be injury prone. More money (you know, that stuff we are supposed to be short of) going to players who don’t or cannot play.

Although we will never know, it would be interesting to have information on what the medical report said about him.

"Got to wonder why we didnt know he was injury prone before we signed him."

That was just an unnecessary slur on Dale's scouting and medical procedures.

You can take it back if you choose, otherwise my point stands, and trying to twist it into a different point isn't working

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 13:21 - Dec 30 with 2802 viewsTVOS1907

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 12:13 - Dec 30 by D_Alien

"Got to wonder why we didnt know he was injury prone before we signed him."

That was just an unnecessary slur on Dale's scouting and medical procedures.

You can take it back if you choose, otherwise my point stands, and trying to twist it into a different point isn't working

Unfortunately some people are now taking great pleasure in our current predicament.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 13:40 - Dec 30 with 2755 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 13:21 - Dec 30 by TVOS1907

Unfortunately some people are now taking great pleasure in our current predicament.

Also, we don't know what other clubs might've offered him to play for them

When McNulty was injured, bringing in McShane on a contract (as i understand it) till January was a considered risk which has partially worked out, and was worth taking

If other clubs - given his injury history - were only prepared to pay him on appearances then joining Dale on a short-term contract was probably the best option for him
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 13:41]

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 16:34 - Dec 30 with 2619 viewsjonahwhereru

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 10:40 - Dec 30 by pioneer

I went to see us v Wimbledon. We had 1 fit centre half and had to play Calvin as an emergency centre half. BBM had a choice to make. Sign no replacement of sign the best out of contract player he could get on a short term deal. He chose the latter and was right imo.
He got us out of a whole. Bought confidence to those around him and the fans. He also scored the winner in the cup. Was the gamble worth taking, Asbsolutely.
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 17:15 - Dec 30 with 2562 viewsantmarina

As 1 of the 115 that attended. I can totally agree with the comments by suffolkdale.

I was surprised that it was MJ’s second pass that went backwards, not his first. He is a shocking player and to be fair reminds me of Steve Doyle for those with a long enough memory.

We had no forward motion in the second half and we do seem to need a tough midfielder who will get stuck in and release pressure and a striker who can make the ball stick to him. Given the injury list we have at the minute, we are still bettered placed than the last 2 seasons.

A decent January and we could be safe with maybe 2 or 3 games left...
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 19:52 - Dec 30 with 2420 viewskiwidale

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 16:34 - Dec 30 by jonahwhereru

I went to see us v Wimbledon. We had 1 fit centre half and had to play Calvin as an emergency centre half. BBM had a choice to make. Sign no replacement of sign the best out of contract player he could get on a short term deal. He chose the latter and was right imo.
He got us out of a whole. Bought confidence to those around him and the fans. He also scored the winner in the cup. Was the gamble worth taking, Asbsolutely.

Another option was to recall Delaney who would have cost us nothing. Im not saying McShane was a bad option he has done more than enough to warrant his deal. I cant understand why his injury was a result of past injuries and not just a knock which all players get from time to time. McLaughlin is another matter altogether and someone mentioned a player earlier his name escapes me who I have no knowledge of signing and has never played for us.

This is not the time for bickering.

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 20:12 - Dec 30 with 2381 viewspioneer

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 13:21 - Dec 30 by TVOS1907

Would you like to name them....otherwise its an unnecessary slur on Dale fans.

Dalian implies the club knew he was injury prone...I dont have such inside information.
It seems reasonable to question the wisdom of using what funds are available for players wages to sign injury prone players. How does that translate into me or others taking great pleasure in the current situation?
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 20:20 - Dec 30 with 2358 viewsTVOS1907

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 20:12 - Dec 30 by pioneer

Dalian implies the club knew he was injury prone...I dont have such inside information.
It seems reasonable to question the wisdom of using what funds are available for players wages to sign injury prone players. How does that translate into me or others taking great pleasure in the current situation?

Because I can read between the lines.

No idea what the "inside information" line means. The relevant information is freely available online.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 20:30]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 20:22 - Dec 30 with 2355 viewsnordenblue

Ypu wouldnt need "inside information" to know anyone's injury prone it's there for all to research if you can be bothered to look for it or join other forums and ask the right questions.
It's called taking a gamble, and a player of his calibre is WELL worth taking a bit of a gamble on as seen when he does play he's a different class, if he wasn't a risk there would have been a queue of clubs well ahead of us to sign the lad, it's like the broken toy type players if nobody ever took the gamble to try and straighten them out players like NML and Holty would never have got a chance to play in the Prem either.
Gillingham away - an Exiles view on 21:12 - Dec 30 with 2268 viewsD_Alien

McShane's recent record with injuries was discussed on here at the time he signed, which is where i got my information from

Using the "inside information" label isn't working either

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024