Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hornets at home today. 14:30 - Jan 12 with 5189 views442Dale

Been a lot of rain on the pitch. Could anyone going let us know what it’s like afterwards, cheers!

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hornets at home today. on 15:33 - Jan 12 with 3131 viewsToffeemanc

Will probably lead to another pitch disaster and more unnecessary costs to the football club.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Hornets at home today. on 15:41 - Jan 12 with 3110 views49thseason

Looks like plenty of standing water on the pitch by the main stand. That side always seems to be the problem , it has to be a drainage problem and its hard to understand why it never seems to get solved, irrespective of how much we spend on renovations.
Hornets at home today. on 15:43 - Jan 12 with 3101 viewsSuddenLad

It was bad yesterday towards the end of the game on the section where the linesman operates. Really slutchy and muddy around the touchline area.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Hornets at home today. on 16:16 - Jan 12 with 2989 viewsdiver

Hornets at home today. on 15:33 - Jan 12 by Toffeemanc

Will probably lead to another pitch disaster and more unnecessary costs to the football club.

Plenty of room on Denehurst Park !!
Hornets at home today. on 16:23 - Jan 12 with 2958 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Hornets at home today. on 15:41 - Jan 12 by 49thseason

Looks like plenty of standing water on the pitch by the main stand. That side always seems to be the problem , it has to be a drainage problem and its hard to understand why it never seems to get solved, irrespective of how much we spend on renovations.

That part of the pitch never gets any sunlight, so irrespective of how much we spend, short of moving the stand back a couple of yards, it will always be a problem.
Hornets at home today. on 17:32 - Jan 12 with 2791 viewsBrierls

Can’t see much but it doesn’t look too bad...

Hornets at home today. on 17:54 - Jan 12 with 2721 viewsKenBoon

I’ve never believed the rugby causes that much damage, but the damage in rugby areas was clear to see yesterday. The pitch before yesterday’s game was far worse than it was at the end of the Newcastle United game. The sand will be going down soon and we’ll see a pitch deteriorate visibly within a short few weeks. How many of those halogen lights do we have because they seem to make a big difference for other clubs that use them.
Hornets at home today. on 18:54 - Jan 12 with 2576 viewsDalenet

Hornets at home today. on 17:54 - Jan 12 by KenBoon

I’ve never believed the rugby causes that much damage, but the damage in rugby areas was clear to see yesterday. The pitch before yesterday’s game was far worse than it was at the end of the Newcastle United game. The sand will be going down soon and we’ll see a pitch deteriorate visibly within a short few weeks. How many of those halogen lights do we have because they seem to make a big difference for other clubs that use them.

I have to agree with you there Ken. The pitch for the Newcastle game was in excellent condition for this time of year and it had visibly deteriorated at kick off yesterday. Hard to believe that just one game of rugby could do that. But it was really evident and the pitch had a few bobbles yesterday for the first time. It did't look too clever on TV last night. Today was another friendly for Hornets and it can only have been made worse.

But I am a supporter of Hornets surviving and a deal was done to allow them to stay at the Crown Oil Arena so we have to prepare the pitch for it somehow. We need to find an answer because we could so easily have been down to play a Premiership club on the 25th and as with Spurs, we might have needed to rip it up. Do hornets play at home next week too?
Login to get fewer ads

Hornets at home today. on 19:22 - Jan 12 with 2503 viewsNinco

It looked bad near the main stand before the players had even set foot on the pitch. There was a lot of surface water along the touchline, but no worse than I have seen before. The playing area looked okay at the end.

It's disappointing that there are still people who are anti-Hornets and who blame Hornets for any damage to the pitch. We play around 25 football matches a season and probably 15 rugby games with cup games and friendlies, A pitch built to professional standards should be able to tolerate 40 games a season. I didn't hear anyone complain when we got the rugby league's shares in the stadium for a vastly reduced price on the condition that Hornets continue to play there. Lets also remember that this is a different Hornets company to the one that went out of business and didn't pay it's rent. From what I have seen, the current Hornets have worked well with the football club including last season when there was a lengthy period when they didn't play games at home to give the pitch a chance to be reseeded.

If there are any issues with why we are not winning as many games as we would like, we need to look at our own budgets, tactics, support etc, before just blaming Hornets all the time. No other club on a budget the size of ours could afford to run the ground without shared usage.
Hornets at home today. on 19:28 - Jan 12 with 2463 viewsisitme

I thought the hornets fixture list is always arranged so that the pitch gets a 6 week break? I believe the same happens at Wigan.

Is there any truth that major pitch works are taking place this summer which means that hornets will not be able to play at the COA from May till towards the end of July?
Hornets at home today. on 19:34 - Jan 12 with 2438 viewsNinco

Hornets at home today. on 19:28 - Jan 12 by isitme

I thought the hornets fixture list is always arranged so that the pitch gets a 6 week break? I believe the same happens at Wigan.

Is there any truth that major pitch works are taking place this summer which means that hornets will not be able to play at the COA from May till towards the end of July?

Not according to the fixture list.
Hornets at home today. on 19:35 - Jan 12 with 2431 viewsKenBoon

Hornets at home today. on 19:22 - Jan 12 by Ninco

It looked bad near the main stand before the players had even set foot on the pitch. There was a lot of surface water along the touchline, but no worse than I have seen before. The playing area looked okay at the end.

It's disappointing that there are still people who are anti-Hornets and who blame Hornets for any damage to the pitch. We play around 25 football matches a season and probably 15 rugby games with cup games and friendlies, A pitch built to professional standards should be able to tolerate 40 games a season. I didn't hear anyone complain when we got the rugby league's shares in the stadium for a vastly reduced price on the condition that Hornets continue to play there. Lets also remember that this is a different Hornets company to the one that went out of business and didn't pay it's rent. From what I have seen, the current Hornets have worked well with the football club including last season when there was a lengthy period when they didn't play games at home to give the pitch a chance to be reseeded.

If there are any issues with why we are not winning as many games as we would like, we need to look at our own budgets, tactics, support etc, before just blaming Hornets all the time. No other club on a budget the size of ours could afford to run the ground without shared usage.

I’m not anti-hornets, but unless the players were playing rugby in the warm-up then there was clear damage from Rugby. You’re right it’s not Hornet’s fault, the pitch should be able to deal with it, but it cannot and that is the Football club’s fault and their problem to fix.
Hornets at home today. on 19:35 - Jan 12 with 2432 viewsSuddenLad

I'm not sure any of tactics, support or budget have any actual effect on the playing surface. Using it certainly does, especially in poor weather.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Hornets at home today. on 19:38 - Jan 12 with 2420 viewsisitme

Hornets at home today. on 19:34 - Jan 12 by Ninco

Not according to the fixture list.

Thanks.

Unless any get 'moved'? How much lower do you expect attendances to be with hornets' relegation? Would playing at Mayfield for a few games be that much of a problem if the pitch is better for all in the longer term?
Hornets at home today. on 19:46 - Jan 12 with 2390 viewsNinco

Hornets at home today. on 19:38 - Jan 12 by isitme

Thanks.

Unless any get 'moved'? How much lower do you expect attendances to be with hornets' relegation? Would playing at Mayfield for a few games be that much of a problem if the pitch is better for all in the longer term?

To be honest, I think the attendance wont be much different. Hornets seem to have the same set of die-hard fans who would probably be there whatever division we are in. Any boost in attendance seems to happen when they play clubs who bring a decent sized away following.

I think the main issue with playing a few games at Mayfield would be income as Mayfield only has about 100 seats and i can't see people expecting to pay the same to stand up at a non-league club than they would to sit down at a league standard ground. Also, the RFL would have to agree to it and they refused Oldham Roughyeds permission to play at Whitebank which is a similar standard to Mayfield.
Hornets at home today. on 19:54 - Jan 12 with 2351 viewsMass_Debater

Hornets at home today. on 19:46 - Jan 12 by Ninco

To be honest, I think the attendance wont be much different. Hornets seem to have the same set of die-hard fans who would probably be there whatever division we are in. Any boost in attendance seems to happen when they play clubs who bring a decent sized away following.

I think the main issue with playing a few games at Mayfield would be income as Mayfield only has about 100 seats and i can't see people expecting to pay the same to stand up at a non-league club than they would to sit down at a league standard ground. Also, the RFL would have to agree to it and they refused Oldham Roughyeds permission to play at Whitebank which is a similar standard to Mayfield.

100 seats will be more than enough.
Hornets at home today. on 20:03 - Jan 12 with 2297 viewsnordenblue

What does the support have anything to do with us winning/not winning games at Spotland?

The problem isn't the amount of games won/lost it's the possible needless amount of games postponed due to playing rugby on a pitch that's then not fit to play football on.

A totally different Hornets,I take it the club started like any NEW club at the bottom tier of English rugby just over a decade ago?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 20:04]
Hornets at home today. on 20:08 - Jan 12 with 2272 viewsNinco

Hornets at home today. on 20:03 - Jan 12 by nordenblue

What does the support have anything to do with us winning/not winning games at Spotland?

The problem isn't the amount of games won/lost it's the possible needless amount of games postponed due to playing rugby on a pitch that's then not fit to play football on.

A totally different Hornets,I take it the club started like any NEW club at the bottom tier of English rugby just over a decade ago?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 20:04]

What a stupid comment. The support has everything to do with us winning games. If a club gets 10000 fans at every home game, they can obviously spend more money on players than a club getting 3000 and so stand a better chance of winning. Also, a bigger support can give more vocal encouragement to the players and a club can make more money from sponsorship with bigger attendances.

Do I really need to explain this???
Hornets at home today. on 20:10 - Jan 12 with 2268 viewsArthurDaley

Hornets at home today. on 19:46 - Jan 12 by Ninco

Cant see a boost in attendance , when New York, Ottawa and Red Star Belgrade are admitted into the league.

A large VAT Dave

Hornets at home today. on 20:18 - Jan 12 with 2240 viewsTVOS1907

Can you point out where people are 'blaming Hornets all the time"?

There's been plenty of other analysis of our games and performances this season before the egg-chasing has even started.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hornets at home today. on 20:24 - Jan 12 with 2213 viewsnordenblue

Hornets at home today. on 20:08 - Jan 12 by Ninco

What a stupid comment. The support has everything to do with us winning games. If a club gets 10000 fans at every home game, they can obviously spend more money on players than a club getting 3000 and so stand a better chance of winning. Also, a bigger support can give more vocal encouragement to the players and a club can make more money from sponsorship with bigger attendances.

Do I really need to explain this???

Seems I'm not the only one with stupid comments..

So the size of a crowd has a direct correlation to games won, I'm sure Sunderland fit right in with your wild reasoning and are walking league 1, and Man United top the premier league too obviously.

Remind us all in the last 20 years how many times we've been anywhere near getting 10k regularly through the gates
Hornets at home today. on 20:33 - Jan 12 with 2166 viewsNinco

Hornets at home today. on 20:24 - Jan 12 by nordenblue

Seems I'm not the only one with stupid comments..

So the size of a crowd has a direct correlation to games won, I'm sure Sunderland fit right in with your wild reasoning and are walking league 1, and Man United top the premier league too obviously.

Remind us all in the last 20 years how many times we've been anywhere near getting 10k regularly through the gates

FFS talk about twisting my comments. I never said that larger attendances guarantees you more wins, I said it generates more money to spend on your squad so you can buy better players. Nor did I say anywhere that we get 10000 supporters. I was using the 10000 and the 3000 as an example as you can't seem to understand the basic economics of football.
Hornets at home today. on 20:42 - Jan 12 with 2135 viewsscarrow

The majority of stadiums where the pitch is multi sport have problems especially if lower league. Newport for instance. Premier league pitches now according to 5 live are up to 60% synthetic and can cope with more use.

Spotland with two teams, poor drainage and a wet climate struggles. Is the pitch going to be worse following today's match? Unquestionably yes. No recovery time after the football, lots of rain on poor drainage etc.

Poll: Final position

Hornets at home today. on 20:45 - Jan 12 with 2122 viewsnordenblue

Hornets at home today. on 20:33 - Jan 12 by Ninco

FFS talk about twisting my comments. I never said that larger attendances guarantees you more wins, I said it generates more money to spend on your squad so you can buy better players. Nor did I say anywhere that we get 10000 supporters. I was using the 10000 and the 3000 as an example as you can't seem to understand the basic economics of football.

"The support has everything to do with us winning games" ... No it doesn't as we've already proved

"No other club on a budget the size of ours could afford to run the ground without shared usage."... I take it every other club similar or smaller to us must ground share then?

I'd stick to watching the rugby as your football ideas don't stack up
Hornets at home today. on 23:57 - Jan 12 with 1943 viewsSandyman

Ninco said: "Lets also remember that this is a different Hornets company to the one that went out of business and didn't pay it's rent."
Indeed it is, or was. The supporters owned / run organisation did pay it's way to be fair. But that is not the "company" due to run Hornets now following it's takeover.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/347519-new-era-to-commence/

Let's see how they work out. I hope our board of directors are keeping a keen eye on this - Hornets as an institution have form for not being "kosher" as Ninco correctly reminded us earlier.
As for the pitch, living in one of the rainiest towns in the land doesn't help either code, RAFC in particular.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 0:09]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024