Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading The Ball 09:18 - Jan 16 with 14868 viewsmingthemerciless

It's just been on the news that school children in Scotland under the age of 12 will be banned from heading the ball in training but not in actual games. Is this the start of heading the ball becoming outlawed ? What would the game look like without heading ?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 14:46]
Heading The Ball on 09:39 - Jan 16 with 4275 viewsRochdale_ger

What would be the point in taking corner kicks.
Heading The Ball on 09:42 - Jan 16 with 4263 viewsEllDale

Could always pass corners backwards playing pretty football.....
Heading The Ball on 09:55 - Jan 16 with 4223 viewsfitzochris

Heading The Ball on 09:39 - Jan 16 by Rochdale_ger

What would be the point in taking corner kicks.

It's already come in unofficially as my lad's Sunday team has already stopped it.

He's a winger with a cracking left foot and a fierce cross. He's had to completely change his game.

He also plays for Motherwell, who haven't implemented this yet, so he is constantly switching styles, which is hampering him no end.

At the end of the day, though, if heading the ball is damaging their little noggins, then stopping it is right.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Heading The Ball on 10:12 - Jan 16 with 4191 viewsjonahwhereru

40 years ago a mate of mine who was a decent player at local level was given the nickname turtlehead because his neck would disappear into his shoulders when he tried to meet a cross. He got a lot of stick back then, but it turns out he was ahead of his time. Not sure he is a good example mind because he’s still as daft as a brush.
Heading The Ball on 10:36 - Jan 16 with 4140 viewsDaleiLama

Heading The Ball on 10:12 - Jan 16 by jonahwhereru

40 years ago a mate of mine who was a decent player at local level was given the nickname turtlehead because his neck would disappear into his shoulders when he tried to meet a cross. He got a lot of stick back then, but it turns out he was ahead of his time. Not sure he is a good example mind because he’s still as daft as a brush.

……….. turtle's head was always a different kind of problem for me.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Heading The Ball on 10:42 - Jan 16 with 4132 viewsdeeplishblue

Didn't there used to be a saying...."He's a bit of an Head The Ball" similar meaning to "He's not a full shilling" ?

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Heading The Ball on 10:45 - Jan 16 with 4117 viewsYorkshire_Dale

There has been recent TV coverage of Steve Smith, player, captain and Manager of Huddersfield Town who has had demetia for 5 years and his family are attributing it to heading the ball.
Heading The Ball on 10:46 - Jan 16 with 4118 viewsmodelboydave

but if they outlaw this what next?

lots of evidence eating meat causes Cancer - get it banned.
Alcohol causes lier disease - get it banned.
Listening to music on head phones for prolonged periods causing hearing damage - get it banned.

.......its a slippery slope pop fans.

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Login to get fewer ads

Heading The Ball on 11:59 - Jan 16 with 4064 viewsdingdangblue

MJ Williams has started this already.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Heading The Ball on 12:23 - Jan 16 with 4031 viewsSuddenLad

All this is a legacy of the death of Jeff Astle, former WBA striker, whose dementia and death was deemed by an enquiry directly attributable to many years of heading the ball in a football career.

The PFA undertook to carry out research into the link between the two, but buried the results.

The Astle family have long campaigned for the safety of players to be a priority and a recent documentary highlighted the problems.

The PFA have a role to play and need to be more pro-active in making this a priority for young players.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Heading The Ball on 12:49 - Jan 16 with 3984 viewsChaffRAFC

Heading The Ball on 10:42 - Jan 16 by deeplishblue

Didn't there used to be a saying...."He's a bit of an Head The Ball" similar meaning to "He's not a full shilling" ?

I still use it!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Heading The Ball on 14:53 - Jan 16 with 3855 viewsmingthemerciless

A few of the centre halves I played with in the old days are suffering now. One got early on-set dementia and died quite young. The other two have Parkinsons pretty bad. Ok, they all could have been afflicted any way I suppose but it does makes you think. I never much liked heading the ball to be honest but it had to be done. I've seen stars heading the old wet balls direct from the goalie kicking it out of his hands
Heading The Ball on 15:02 - Jan 16 with 3834 viewsrochdaleriddler

Heading The Ball on 10:46 - Jan 16 by modelboydave

Listening to music on head phones for prolonged periods causing hearing damage - get it banned.

Adults can make their own choices, and evaluate the risks. Under 12’s can’t and their bodies are still developing . We don’t allow them to smoke and drink. It’s just common sense really

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Heading The Ball on 15:18 - Jan 16 with 3814 viewsdingdangblue

What about the millions of footballer's who head the ball but dont get dementia?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Heading The Ball on 15:40 - Jan 16 with 3782 viewsmingthemerciless

The stats say that former professional footballers are three times more likely to get dementia that ordinary blokes of a similar age.
Heading The Ball on 15:53 - Jan 16 with 3745 viewsdingdangblue

Heading The Ball on 15:40 - Jan 16 by mingthemerciless

The stats say that former professional footballers are three times more likely to get dementia that ordinary blokes of a similar age.

Although...

*while the study found the risk of dying from neurodegenerative disease was almost 3.5 times higher for footballers, fewer than 2% of the footballers in the study died from these health conditions.

*the researchers found footballers were less likely to die from some other conditions, such as heart disease, and were less likely to die before age 70.

*the study looked at footballers born before 1977, so it's not known if the same results would apply to young footballers playing now.

Heading The Ball on 17:10 - Jan 16 with 3670 viewsEllDale

I suppose modern balls don't do as much damage as the old water retaining ones.

Still, if it prevents issues later in life maybe there's a case. No pun intended.
Heading The Ball on 17:18 - Jan 16 with 3652 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 17:10 - Jan 16 by EllDale

I suppose modern balls don't do as much damage as the old water retaining ones.

Still, if it prevents issues later in life maybe there's a case. No pun intended.

There won't be that many who'll know what a "casey" is!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Heading The Ball on 17:23 - Jan 16 with 3647 viewsnordenblue

Heading The Ball on 17:18 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

There won't be that many who'll know what a "casey" is!

Weren't they pigs bladder back then,....."during the war"
Heading The Ball on 17:33 - Jan 16 with 3617 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 17:23 - Jan 16 by nordenblue

Weren't they pigs bladder back then,....."during the war"

Aye, but the pigs didn't mind!

Remember doing up the laces on one i got as a birthday present back in 1894

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Heading The Ball on 17:48 - Jan 16 with 3590 viewsTomRAFC

I think the research is a fantastic thing and any strong research needs to listened to. A lot of sports come with associated risks, some of them very serious. It's only right that people who opt to play are as fully informed as possible as to what those risks may be. That doesn't necessarily mean the rules for the sport at a professional level should change. Depending on what the evidence says there could be sense in heading being less prominent in the youth game/practised but with low density balls.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Heading The Ball on 18:30 - Jan 16 with 3550 viewsShun

One of those things already is banned for children! And the other two already come with warnings.

I’m surprised it’s taken so long, tbh. The research is clear but even still it doesn’t take a genius to work out that something travelling at high velocity and colliding with your head repeatedly over a 15-year career isn’t going to do you much good.

I can’t see it ever being banned from the professional game because it’s so inbuilt, but as TomRAFC says, it’s right that the research has been done and players are made aware of it. Banning it for children, who lack the capacity to fully understand the future ramifications of heading a ball, is absolutely the right decision. Not to mention their crania aren’t as tough!
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 18:33]
Heading The Ball on 19:47 - Jan 16 with 3485 viewskiwidale

Not to mention mrs Palmer makes you blind then it falls off... good luck with banning that.

This is not the time for bickering.

Heading The Ball on 02:24 - Jan 17 with 3383 viewsDiddyDave

What next? As has been mentioned,modern day footballs are light years away from the old caseys that Arthur Daley and myself played with for Heybrook Junior School in the late fifties. Ming knows about them,heading was indeed not very nice particularly if you headed the lace part,but really,the 2020 footballs are bloody plastic coated. The wowsers and so called "health experts" win again by the look of it. They`ll be banning players from playing in boots soon,furry slippers only please.
Heading The Ball on 02:46 - Jan 17 with 3368 viewsfrenzied

How about footy players wearing boxing type head guards?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024