Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading The Ball 09:18 - Jan 16 with 15405 viewsmingthemerciless

It's just been on the news that school children in Scotland under the age of 12 will be banned from heading the ball in training but not in actual games. Is this the start of heading the ball becoming outlawed ? What would the game look like without heading ?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 14:46]
Heading The Ball on 19:48 - Jan 23 with 1654 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 19:39 - Jan 23 by kiwidale

There is more than a touch of irony in you suggesting I am Pioneers spokesman while being D_A's apologist. As to your last point, through out this thread both you and D_A have raised straw man arguments to discredit anybody that disagrees with you.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 20:12]

nordenblue is his own man, kiwi

You've made a career out of being a lick-spittle, and i'd be surprised if pioneer thanks you for it, but he should be more careful when choosing bedfellows

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Heading The Ball on 19:51 - Jan 23 with 1649 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 13:37 - Jan 23 by D_Alien

You haven't got an answer, have you?

Why? Because there isn't one

Accept you've been rumbled pioneer, demanding evidence where none can be obtained - at least not for another 50 years or so. It'll do you good, and it'll make you feel less bitter and it'll stop this nonsense which should've been stopped when i first posed the question

you carry on in your own little world of attempted keyboard intimidation...itdoesnt work with me....but if it gives you pleasure and your wrist a regular workout all is well and good.

Obviously the thought of you having to enter a library must have haunted you. Most of them are ‘dry’ but that might do you good.
Heading The Ball on 20:00 - Jan 23 with 1630 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 19:51 - Jan 23 by pioneer

you carry on in your own little world of attempted keyboard intimidation...itdoesnt work with me....but if it gives you pleasure and your wrist a regular workout all is well and good.

Obviously the thought of you having to enter a library must have haunted you. Most of them are ‘dry’ but that might do you good.

Answer the question, pioneer, or stop your bitter ramblings

Heading The Ball on 20:10 - Jan 23 with 1615 viewskiwidale

Heading The Ball on 19:48 - Jan 23 by D_Alien

nordenblue is his own man, kiwi

You've made a career out of being a lick-spittle, and i'd be surprised if pioneer thanks you for it, but he should be more careful when choosing bedfellows

DEFINITION urban dictionary.
Lick-spittle. A slimy grovelling and devious person who will do anything to get ahead in their life and career including accepting an order from the boss to lick a big green greasy lump of spit in the hope of promotion or a pat on the head.

Just another meaningless and childish insult D_A. This might explain better than I can what your problem is. The full article is in the link but for those who just want an overview.

Why do they never admit they were wrong?

The answer is related to their ego, their very sense-of-self. Some people have such a fragile ego, such brittle self-esteem, such a weak "psychological constitution," that admitting they made a mistake or that they were wrong is fundamentally too threatening for their egos to tolerate. Accepting they were wrong, absorbing that reality, would be so psychologically shattering, their defense mechanisms do something remarkable to avoid doing so – they literally distort their perception of reality to make it (reality) less threatening. Their defense mechanisms protect their fragile ego by changing the very facts in their mind, so they are no longer wrong or culpable.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/nz/blog/the-squeaky-wheel/201811/why-certain-peo
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 20:11]

This is not the time for bickering.

Heading The Ball on 20:17 - Jan 23 with 1603 viewsnordenblue

Heading The Ball on 19:39 - Jan 23 by kiwidale

There is more than a touch of irony in you suggesting I am Pioneers spokesman while being D_A's apologist. As to your last point, through out this thread both you and D_A have raised straw man arguments to discredit anybody that disagrees with you.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 20:12]

You'll find we've argued our own seperate valid points if you can manage to read back through the thread,unlike you when once your feeble attempt was put firmly to bed you then decided to try and gain some credit back jumping on pioneers points, again you've been taken apart.

There's no need for me to try and discredit you,you do an amazing job yourself, I'd pick your battles a bit better
Heading The Ball on 21:20 - Jan 23 with 1571 viewskiwidale

Heading The Ball on 20:17 - Jan 23 by nordenblue

You'll find we've argued our own seperate valid points if you can manage to read back through the thread,unlike you when once your feeble attempt was put firmly to bed you then decided to try and gain some credit back jumping on pioneers points, again you've been taken apart.

There's no need for me to try and discredit you,you do an amazing job yourself, I'd pick your battles a bit better

Sad pathetic delusional and intellectually weak in equal measures you resort to belittling me as your only recourse, Im done with you.

Heading The Ball on 21:57 - Jan 23 with 1548 viewsnordenblue

Heading The Ball on 21:20 - Jan 23 by kiwidale

Sad pathetic delusional and intellectually weak in equal measures you resort to belittling me as your only recourse, Im done with you.

"Sad pathetic delusional and intellectually weak in equal measures you resort to belittling me as your only recourse".....

Not something you'd ever do kiwi is it, resort to belittling someone as your only recourse?

Simply brilliant.
Heading The Ball on 22:21 - Jan 23 with 1529 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 20:00 - Jan 23 by D_Alien

Answer the question, pioneer, or stop your bitter ramblings

From the queen of bitter ramblings and personal insults!!!!!!

you might as well give up - I dont , and I doubt any one else on this board, believe they have to respond to your orders.

You want me to teach you science? I doubt you would understand simple arithmetic.

But keep the name calling coming . . one day the moderators of this board might realise that the tone and content of your contributions and general attitude you have towards other posters, or at least those that don't pray at your alter, is an embarrassment to this board.

I can only guess what personal and social problems you have experienced in your life to feel you have to behave in this way. You know there are people you can go to for help. But I am not one of them.
Login to get fewer ads

Heading The Ball on 23:00 - Jan 23 with 1507 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 22:21 - Jan 23 by pioneer

From the queen of bitter ramblings and personal insults!!!!!!

you might as well give up - I dont , and I doubt any one else on this board, believe they have to respond to your orders.

You want me to teach you science? I doubt you would understand simple arithmetic.

But keep the name calling coming . . one day the moderators of this board might realise that the tone and content of your contributions and general attitude you have towards other posters, or at least those that don't pray at your alter, is an embarrassment to this board.

I can only guess what personal and social problems you have experienced in your life to feel you have to behave in this way. You know there are people you can go to for help. But I am not one of them.

You could so easily have stopped this nonsense at the point where you realised you were wrong to suggest that evidence was needed directly of potential harm to children from heading footballs

I challenged you to describe how that evidence might be provided, and from that point onwards you've done nothing but squirm and attempt to discredit me

Appealing to mods to try and get off the hook is a new low, but you've resorted to it in a last-ditch attempt to save face. I couldn't care less what you think my life is about, it's got nothing to do with your inability to provide a meaningful way of backing up your opinion with research evidence

That's the reality here, pioneer. You can choose to continue with your increasingly desperate tripe, or accept you were wrong. Are you big enough to do that?

Heading The Ball on 23:54 - Jan 23 with 1476 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 23:00 - Jan 23 by D_Alien

You could so easily have stopped this nonsense at the point where you realised you were wrong to suggest that evidence was needed directly of potential harm to children from heading footballs

I challenged you to describe how that evidence might be provided, and from that point onwards you've done nothing but squirm and attempt to discredit me

Appealing to mods to try and get off the hook is a new low, but you've resorted to it in a last-ditch attempt to save face. I couldn't care less what you think my life is about, it's got nothing to do with your inability to provide a meaningful way of backing up your opinion with research evidence

That's the reality here, pioneer. You can choose to continue with your increasingly desperate tripe, or accept you were wrong. Are you big enough to do that?

I "realised" I was "wrong to suggest that evidence was needed directly of potential harm to children from heading footballs" did I? Wow you are getting into my head now - what powers you have. I suspect many on here would accept that such evidence is needed.

Even the authors of the research that is cited by the Scottish Authorities say that "the relevance of our findings in elite athletes to recreational soccer participation is not known. These observations cannot be applied directly to recreational and amateur soccer players". Did you read that far?

So if the evidence from the scottish study is irrelvant to the policy being pursued what do we do - guess?

Maybe you could approach those authors and ask them to give you a crash course in how to address policy-informing research questions. I suggest you speak to them nicely though - there are probably courses to go on that can help you with that.
Heading The Ball on 00:15 - Jan 24 with 1457 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 23:54 - Jan 23 by pioneer

I "realised" I was "wrong to suggest that evidence was needed directly of potential harm to children from heading footballs" did I? Wow you are getting into my head now - what powers you have. I suspect many on here would accept that such evidence is needed.

Even the authors of the research that is cited by the Scottish Authorities say that "the relevance of our findings in elite athletes to recreational soccer participation is not known. These observations cannot be applied directly to recreational and amateur soccer players". Did you read that far?

So if the evidence from the scottish study is irrelvant to the policy being pursued what do we do - guess?

Maybe you could approach those authors and ask them to give you a crash course in how to address policy-informing research questions. I suggest you speak to them nicely though - there are probably courses to go on that can help you with that.

I'll take that as a "no" then

Yep, much more research is needed in this field, but in the meantime, how about sensible precautions are taken with minors who haven't yet sufficient reasoning power to make their own decisions? Like the precautions we take with them when it comes to many other risk factors, such as smoking? That's the crux of it

Nothing definitive can be determined until current 12yo's reach their 50s/60s and beyond, which is why your demand for evidence now is so flawed. I'll credit you with being intelligent enough to have realised that when i pointed it out

So you see, there really was no need for all this nonsense; all it needed was for you to take that point on board. Hopefully, and finally, you might do so

Heading The Ball on 00:57 - Jan 24 with 1445 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 00:15 - Jan 24 by D_Alien

I'll take that as a "no" then

Yep, much more research is needed in this field, but in the meantime, how about sensible precautions are taken with minors who haven't yet sufficient reasoning power to make their own decisions? Like the precautions we take with them when it comes to many other risk factors, such as smoking? That's the crux of it

Nothing definitive can be determined until current 12yo's reach their 50s/60s and beyond, which is why your demand for evidence now is so flawed. I'll credit you with being intelligent enough to have realised that when i pointed it out

So you see, there really was no need for all this nonsense; all it needed was for you to take that point on board. Hopefully, and finally, you might do so

I directed you to non experimental methods which dont require you to wait 50 years. Your chose the lazy route and failed to explore that as a way producing evidence. Quite astounding since that is precisely the approach taken by the authors of the scottish study of ex professionals. If you are not prepared to accept non-experimental studies as evidence, then it follows you do not accept the findings of the current study! Which makes your case for banning kids heading footballs even more silly.

All it needed was for you to accept that you are out of your depth in conversations about scientific study design. It wouldnt surprise me, given the high profile given to their research, if they were to go on and do precisely the study that would produce the evidence needed. I expect they might be a wee bit embarrassed that their research has been misused as support for banning heading the ball among schoolchildren when they clearly stated what the research findings say, and what they dont say.

So you might want to contact them and tell them not to bother because, according to you, billy big balls of health research, it cant be done. I think they would take that as a challenge, well maybe if they could ever stop laughing.

Your comparison with children and smoking is severely flawed. We have evidence that smoking causes cancer and that the more you smoke and the earlier you start (including in childhood) the greater the risks/ the sooner you give up the greater the reduction in risks. This evidence was not produced by randomising some kids to smoke and others not! But I expect you would have told the folks who produced that evidence that the research could not be done.

I am not aware that kids have been banned from smoking - we try to influence their behaviour by making it illegal for cigarettes to be sold to them so restricting access to the product. So good evidence supports policy for protecting kids from harm of cigarettes.

We have no evidence that kids heading footballs leads to dementia - not because that cannot be researched but because the research has yet to be done. We have evidence that ex professional footballers in Scotland were more likely to suffer from dementia than matched groups of scottish males of similar age and social background. Maybe we should ban professional football in Scotland? ( I am not suggesting that so please dont come up with another of your silly personal attacks, but it is the logical extension - oh yes you lectured me on logic as well didnt you))

Lets hope the folks in Scotland, and some other groups go on to do the study about kids and dementia and then we can develop policy responses based on evidence.

I dont expect you follow any of this, nor for it to stop your continued personal attacks, but I am confident there will be other members of the board who might.

Please dont ever suggest I agree with you. I use that as a test of early onset alzheimers, whether caused by heading a football or otherwise.
Heading The Ball on 04:57 - Jan 24 with 1414 viewskiwidale

Heading The Ball on 00:57 - Jan 24 by pioneer

I directed you to non experimental methods which dont require you to wait 50 years. Your chose the lazy route and failed to explore that as a way producing evidence. Quite astounding since that is precisely the approach taken by the authors of the scottish study of ex professionals. If you are not prepared to accept non-experimental studies as evidence, then it follows you do not accept the findings of the current study! Which makes your case for banning kids heading footballs even more silly.

All it needed was for you to accept that you are out of your depth in conversations about scientific study design. It wouldnt surprise me, given the high profile given to their research, if they were to go on and do precisely the study that would produce the evidence needed. I expect they might be a wee bit embarrassed that their research has been misused as support for banning heading the ball among schoolchildren when they clearly stated what the research findings say, and what they dont say.

So you might want to contact them and tell them not to bother because, according to you, billy big balls of health research, it cant be done. I think they would take that as a challenge, well maybe if they could ever stop laughing.

Your comparison with children and smoking is severely flawed. We have evidence that smoking causes cancer and that the more you smoke and the earlier you start (including in childhood) the greater the risks/ the sooner you give up the greater the reduction in risks. This evidence was not produced by randomising some kids to smoke and others not! But I expect you would have told the folks who produced that evidence that the research could not be done.

I am not aware that kids have been banned from smoking - we try to influence their behaviour by making it illegal for cigarettes to be sold to them so restricting access to the product. So good evidence supports policy for protecting kids from harm of cigarettes.

We have no evidence that kids heading footballs leads to dementia - not because that cannot be researched but because the research has yet to be done. We have evidence that ex professional footballers in Scotland were more likely to suffer from dementia than matched groups of scottish males of similar age and social background. Maybe we should ban professional football in Scotland? ( I am not suggesting that so please dont come up with another of your silly personal attacks, but it is the logical extension - oh yes you lectured me on logic as well didnt you))

Lets hope the folks in Scotland, and some other groups go on to do the study about kids and dementia and then we can develop policy responses based on evidence.

I dont expect you follow any of this, nor for it to stop your continued personal attacks, but I am confident there will be other members of the board who might.

Please dont ever suggest I agree with you. I use that as a test of early onset alzheimers, whether caused by heading a football or otherwise.

I eagerly await D_A's response to your lengthy accurate and articulate reply although his intrinsic nature and inherent need to be right will never accept any of it.

edit to add... I have not reported anybody on this thread for abuse although there is ample evidence to support such an action.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 5:00]

Heading The Ball on 07:55 - Jan 24 with 1367 viewsD_Alien

Having tried reasoning with you, a simple acceptance would've done

Instead, more flawed logic and self-contradiction. You yourself have failed to accept the non-experimental studies which you now promote as a means to determine greater risk to youngsters. That's so obvious its laughable

Only rigorous long-term studies could determine whether there's a greater risk of dementia in later life through youngsters not having restrictions placed on heading footballs

Worse still, you've continued down the track of attempting to discredit me, which has absolutely zero effect on me but just makes your desperation ever more apparent

Of course, insults can be hurled, and i'm as guilty as anyone at times, but your continuation of them even now, whilst attempting to finally answer my question, simply undermines it

Heading The Ball on 08:37 - Jan 24 with 1342 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 07:55 - Jan 24 by D_Alien

Having tried reasoning with you, a simple acceptance would've done

Instead, more flawed logic and self-contradiction. You yourself have failed to accept the non-experimental studies which you now promote as a means to determine greater risk to youngsters. That's so obvious its laughable

Only rigorous long-term studies could determine whether there's a greater risk of dementia in later life through youngsters not having restrictions placed on heading footballs

Worse still, you've continued down the track of attempting to discredit me, which has absolutely zero effect on me but just makes your desperation ever more apparent

Of course, insults can be hurled, and i'm as guilty as anyone at times, but your continuation of them even now, whilst attempting to finally answer my question, simply undermines it

No ive not...the scottish study shows that ex scottish professional footballers were more likely to have suffered from dementia than other scottish males of the same age and social background.

Excellent study....but nothing to do with kids or heading the ball. If only long term studies could be used for health research we would know very little about most ofthe factors that affect our health, including tobbaco and asbestos.

Stick to what you know something about

There are none so blind as those who will not not see.

You clearly know nothing about health research which matches your knowledge of many other things.
Heading The Ball on 09:01 - Jan 24 with 1332 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 08:37 - Jan 24 by pioneer

No ive not...the scottish study shows that ex scottish professional footballers were more likely to have suffered from dementia than other scottish males of the same age and social background.

Excellent study....but nothing to do with kids or heading the ball. If only long term studies could be used for health research we would know very little about most ofthe factors that affect our health, including tobbaco and asbestos.

Stick to what you know something about

There are none so blind as those who will not not see.

You clearly know nothing about health research which matches your knowledge of many other things.

After a career spanning 35 years in the.NHS, which includes credits on research papers headed by senior clinicians, i beg to differ. A typical example: research carried out at ROH on the outcome of medical v surgical termination of pregnancy in terms of future requests for termination

I've had enough of this shit from you. I've tried reasoning, I've tried cajoling, but all we've seen from you is someone presenting themselves as a cod-expert on research methodology. Its amused me for a while, but the cricket's due to start when it stops raining so I've better things vying for my attention now

Edit: just got NigeriaMark's weather update, maybe not..
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 9:04]

Heading The Ball on 10:22 - Jan 24 with 1287 viewsnordenblue

Heading The Ball on 04:57 - Jan 24 by kiwidale

I eagerly await D_A's response to your lengthy accurate and articulate reply although his intrinsic nature and inherent need to be right will never accept any of it.

edit to add... I have not reported anybody on this thread for abuse although there is ample evidence to support such an action.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 5:00]

Yet another cry for the moderators if all else fails, you're big and bad enough to hand it out though I see.

Would it help to heal the pain if I perhaps bought you some ?....bless
Heading The Ball on 10:25 - Jan 24 with 1284 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 09:01 - Jan 24 by D_Alien

After a career spanning 35 years in the.NHS, which includes credits on research papers headed by senior clinicians, i beg to differ. A typical example: research carried out at ROH on the outcome of medical v surgical termination of pregnancy in terms of future requests for termination

I've had enough of this shit from you. I've tried reasoning, I've tried cajoling, but all we've seen from you is someone presenting themselves as a cod-expert on research methodology. Its amused me for a while, but the cricket's due to start when it stops raining so I've better things vying for my attention now

Edit: just got NigeriaMark's weather update, maybe not..
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 9:04]

What the hell is a ‘credit’ on a research paper...you made the tea?

Next youll be telling us you did the sewing on Christian Barnards heart transplant patients.

Anyway us numpties are all in awe of you. ThePatrick Steptoe of Crown Oil Arena....or is it the Albert Steptoe?

Enjoy the cricket...or the rain.
Heading The Ball on 12:54 - Jan 24 with 1234 viewsD_Alien

Heading The Ball on 10:25 - Jan 24 by pioneer

What the hell is a ‘credit’ on a research paper...you made the tea?

Next youll be telling us you did the sewing on Christian Barnards heart transplant patients.

Anyway us numpties are all in awe of you. ThePatrick Steptoe of Crown Oil Arena....or is it the Albert Steptoe?

Enjoy the cricket...or the rain.

https://penandthepad.com/give-credit-sources-writing-research-paper-10051592.htm

By your own posts, you are measured

[Credit: D_Alien, Jan 2020]

That's you sewn up

Heading The Ball on 17:53 - Jan 24 with 1177 viewskiwidale

Heading The Ball on 10:22 - Jan 24 by nordenblue

Yet another cry for the moderators if all else fails, you're big and bad enough to hand it out though I see.

Would it help to heal the pain if I perhaps bought you some ?....bless

I gladly accept the flowers and blessing but how on earth have you turned what I wrote "I have not reported anybody on this thread for abuse although there is ample evidence to support such an action." into "Yet another cry for the moderators. There is a game tomorrow an emphatic win will have all of us both singing in the same choir.

Heading The Ball on 17:58 - Jan 24 with 1172 viewsShun

I can’t actually believe this debate’s going on. It can be ended pretty quickly just by answering the question DA’s repeatedly posed to you - is carrying out research on children that could potentially increase their chances of developing dementia in any way ethical?

There’s a clear answer to that, which patently explains why the research hasn’t been carried out.
Heading The Ball on 18:27 - Jan 24 with 1162 viewskiwidale

Heading The Ball on 17:58 - Jan 24 by Shun

I can’t actually believe this debate’s going on. It can be ended pretty quickly just by answering the question DA’s repeatedly posed to you - is carrying out research on children that could potentially increase their chances of developing dementia in any way ethical?

There’s a clear answer to that, which patently explains why the research hasn’t been carried out.

FFS! let it go I cant believe that you are asking the same dumb question as D_A, nobody is asking for clinical tests pioneer is simply pointing out that no research has been done and there is no anecdotal evidence to support that U12's will suffer dementia by heading a football esp a modern ball, maybe you and D_A should cooperate on running trials but obviously he will have to head the team.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 18:36]

Heading The Ball on 19:37 - Jan 24 with 1123 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 17:58 - Jan 24 by Shun

I have answered it repeatedly....just as the authors of the scottish study did not subject adults to being required to ‘play professional football” non experimental methods dont subject children to being required to head the ball.

Non experimental methods use lived experiences, as opposed to non natural experimental conditions so there are NO ethical considerations.

a quick google is all it would take that would enable you to further explore your interest.
Heading The Ball on 19:41 - Jan 24 with 1121 viewspioneer

Heading The Ball on 12:54 - Jan 24 by D_Alien

https://penandthepad.com/give-credit-sources-writing-research-paper-10051592.htm

By your own posts, you are measured

[Credit: D_Alien, Jan 2020]

That's you sewn up

The implied question was what exactly were you given credit for? I am guessing you werent an author....because I am sure you would have told us.

keep sewing
Heading The Ball on 17:43 - Feb 3 with 1003 viewsrochdaleriddler

Tony Parkes, Blackburn legend diagnosed with Alzheimer’s at 70. Cant remember anything about his career, and is cared for by his daughter

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024