Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin 10:00 - Jan 21 with 3619 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

The latest in Fitzo's series of ex-manager interviews.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/51732/manager-interviews-steve-parkin

This post has been edited by an administrator
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 10:36 - Jan 21 with 3561 viewskiwidale

Another great read thank you for sharing it on here.

This is not the time for bickering.

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 11:52 - Jan 22 with 3133 viewsFrites

A fascinating insight - really interesting - thank you for posting it!
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 13:04 - Jan 22 with 3023 viewsboromat

I've always thought Parkin deserves more credit than he gets. Second spell and the Barnsley move really seems to have tainted some peoples view of him.

Great Interview.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 13:14 - Jan 22 with 2998 viewsborntogo

Superb insight. Thanks for sharing.
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 18:35 - Jan 22 with 2859 viewsPotterDale

A good read, as was the Graham Barrow interview. I do however disagree that this man is unfairly maligned. He may admit now he made a mistake, but that should not detract from the fact he DID leave before he completed the job, and left us on the brink, which we fell back from and endured a further 10 years of basement football (the majority of which was upon his return from the promised land). He could have been the man to take us to League 1 and have us saying "Keith who?", but he chose to jump ship and we'll never know. I for one will hold that grudge until I'm grey and old.
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 19:44 - Jan 22 with 2787 views442Dale

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 18:35 - Jan 22 by PotterDale

A good read, as was the Graham Barrow interview. I do however disagree that this man is unfairly maligned. He may admit now he made a mistake, but that should not detract from the fact he DID leave before he completed the job, and left us on the brink, which we fell back from and endured a further 10 years of basement football (the majority of which was upon his return from the promised land). He could have been the man to take us to League 1 and have us saying "Keith who?", but he chose to jump ship and we'll never know. I for one will hold that grudge until I'm grey and old.

He admitted it was a mistake to leave, fair play to him. He’s clearly a well respected person within the game and has had a reasonably successful career.

There were eight and a half years between Parkin leaving and finishing 09/10 third in L2, he was there for almost three of those years. There was half a season under Hollins and Buckley, one with Simpson and three and a half under Keith Hill.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 19:55 - Jan 22 with 2758 viewsTVOS1907

An excellent read, Chris. Thanks for posting.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 19:59 - Jan 22 with 2750 viewsfitzochris

Thanks for the positive comments. He was a good chap to interview.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 20:00 - Jan 22 with 2742 viewsTVOS1907

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 19:59 - Jan 22 by fitzochris

Thanks for the positive comments. He was a good chap to interview.

Yes, I remember speaking to him once about Gary Jones when Jones broke the appearances record.

He couldn't have been more helpful.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 20:24 - Jan 22 with 2694 viewsYadHoDale

I remember a fans forum (with D Kilpatrick, Reevsie, Steve Whitehall and Lyndon Simmonds) where Killie was complementary about him being sensible and straightforward to work with.
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 07:08 - Jan 23 with 2588 viewsPotterDale

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 19:44 - Jan 22 by 442Dale

He admitted it was a mistake to leave, fair play to him. He’s clearly a well respected person within the game and has had a reasonably successful career.

There were eight and a half years between Parkin leaving and finishing 09/10 third in L2, he was there for almost three of those years. There was half a season under Hollins and Buckley, one with Simpson and three and a half under Keith Hill.

His career seems to have been more successful as an Assistant rather than Manager. I will give him a bit of respect for one thing though. When he came back for his second spell I made my feelings toward him clear at a Q & A, and in the intermission he took the time to speak to me. He didn't convince me to change my mind about him, but he spent about half an hour being berated by me when he could have spent it having his ego massaged by other supporters. So fair play to him for that.
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 07:21 - Jan 23 with 2575 viewsfitzochris

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 07:08 - Jan 23 by PotterDale

His career seems to have been more successful as an Assistant rather than Manager. I will give him a bit of respect for one thing though. When he came back for his second spell I made my feelings toward him clear at a Q & A, and in the intermission he took the time to speak to me. He didn't convince me to change my mind about him, but he spent about half an hour being berated by me when he could have spent it having his ego massaged by other supporters. So fair play to him for that.

Berating someone for half an hour for simply taking another job is a bit harsh. Was there something else he had done to promote such ire?

I was equally annoyed when Parkin left, and more so with Hill, who misled the supporters about his intentions.

I don’t think I’d have been annoyed enough to berate either a few years after the fact, though.

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 08:12 - Jan 23 with 2544 viewsjudd

A very good read as usual, Fitzo.

I was amused to see that he thought of Platt as a goalscorer though.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 09:00 - Jan 23 with 2511 viewsfitzochris

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 08:12 - Jan 23 by judd

A very good read as usual, Fitzo.

I was amused to see that he thought of Platt as a goalscorer though.

Cheers. I think he generalised quite a lot throughout the interview. There is no mistaking, however, Platt did what Calvin Andrew should do, and he did it very, very well. He definitely has to go down as an excellent signing for us.

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 19:36 - Jan 23 with 2365 viewsPotterDale

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 07:21 - Jan 23 by fitzochris

Berating someone for half an hour for simply taking another job is a bit harsh. Was there something else he had done to promote such ire?

I was equally annoyed when Parkin left, and more so with Hill, who misled the supporters about his intentions.

I don’t think I’d have been annoyed enough to berate either a few years after the fact, though.

It was during his second tenure that this took place I should say. There were no ulterior motives for this, only what had occurred only a couple of years prior. My ire was solely down to the fact he left us so close to "glory" after we had waited so long. I suppose if we'd beaten Rushden, followed by Cheltenham my anger may not have been half as bad! That said, as previously stated I will continue to hold that grudge. Hill in my opinion was a different kettle of fish, he'd done what no manager had done for 40 years, seen it to completion, and left (I agree somewhat underhandedly) with what should of been a bit of stability, what happened after he left (other than the players that he took to Barnsley) was down to the boards decision as to his replacements.
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 06:37 - Jan 24 with 2247 viewssmaclad1

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 07:08 - Jan 23 by PotterDale

Hi Potter - the memory of that evening lives long - the early days of SMAC, a well attended event in the side room of the OMT, and your intense scrutiny of the back wall as SP spoke at the front!
Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 14:16 - Jan 24 with 2081 viewsPotterDale

Manager Interviews: Steve Parkin on 06:37 - Jan 24 by smaclad1

Hi Potter - the memory of that evening lives long - the early days of SMAC, a well attended event in the side room of the OMT, and your intense scrutiny of the back wall as SP spoke at the front!

YEP!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024