Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth 18:44 - Jan 27 with 3713 viewsjonahwhereru

Liverpool et al are taking the p-ss out of the FA when it comes to reply’s. The FA cup used to have multiple replays to achieve a result. Sensibly that changed to just one reply. But now the 4th round reply’s are interfering with the winter break, and the Liverpool aren’t happy. The cup has been around over 100 years and the winter break still requires the use of a future tense. Rip up tradition to suit yourself why don’t you. It’s a bloody disgrace.
The FA need to grow a pairs and I have some suggestions for them.
Agree a club can forgo a reply and concede the tie. Plus pay 300k compensation to their opponents.
Or tell the clubs to be lobby for the European competitions to be returned to knock out only, so players can be rested. No chance of shooting the cash cow mind.
Then Pep is not happy about the Christmas fixtures. This is British football mate! The fans respond positively to several games when many of them are of work and can attend.
I know football is all about the Premier / Europe and nothing else counts,but for those who love the game for itself rather than the riches it brings the behaviour of the few is really starting to hack me off.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 18:47]
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 18:50 - Jan 27 with 2896 viewsfunkkk

They can do what they want but I'd be mightily annoyed if I was a Liverpool fan. Don't see why they would potentially risk going out of the FA cup when they have a good chance of going for a treble. I'm a big fan of Klopp but disagree with him on this. Part of a bigger issue though and it's only a matter of time before the big boys get their way. In terms of fixture congestion I'd be quite happy to scrap all domestic competitions apart from the FA Cup.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:16 - Jan 27 with 2843 viewsrichfoad32

Just another reason that my interest in football is pretty much consigned to 'Dale these days. I've zero interest in the Premier League/Champions League, just overhyped cash cows for a few select teams to get richer. The FA Cup has already been devalued greatly, and scrapping replays will be another nail in the coffin. Maybe if Klopp had taken the first game seriously and put out a stronger team, they'd be no need for a replay? I don't want to sound like an old fart but I miss football when I was a kid.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:17 - Jan 27 with 2843 viewsmikehunt

I appreciate the clubs involved in Europe don't want a fixture pile up but the half dozen or so are ruining footie for the rest of us.
My solution to this would be to allow replays - as many as necessary BUT if any club does not want a replay so be it: It is decided on the day. Now what could be fairer than that? That way, teams who have nothing left to play for in a season, can avoid the lottery of penalties, make a few bob out of a replay and keep TV happy with another game they could possibly screen when there were no others.
Simples!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:21 - Jan 27 with 2829 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Tell Klopp & co that either they play their 1st 11 or they will be banned from next year’s competition.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:25 - Jan 27 with 2807 viewsDalenet

What's the difference between this and the side they put out yesterday. Or their approach to the League cup in December or Uniteds approach to our fixture. They supposedly have deeper squads that can play us off the park so use them. Will still give lower league clubs a day out and a chance to progress. Prize money is the same regardless of who plays. The game has changed and we can't stop it. Indeed without the money we get from the League and TV we would probably be non league now. Just a view of course
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 20:34 - Jan 27 with 2670 viewsrochdaleriddler

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:21 - Jan 27 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Tell Klopp & co that either they play their 1st 11 or they will be banned from next year’s competition.

They didn’t yesterday , and have a big enough pool of players to manage their schedule . It’s the ‘well I won’t be there I’m on a break’ attitude That stinks. I think a team should be made to play at least 5 players that played the previous league game

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 20:36 - Jan 27 with 2665 viewssweetcorn

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:21 - Jan 27 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Why lol? United did it for years without having repercussions for doing so. They fielded 8 defenders against Arsenal one round and still managed to win. You’re free to play whatever team you want, no point naming a however many man squad at the start of the season if you can’t use it as you see fit.

The part that takes the piss is klopp saying he won’t manage them, that’s just the ultimate disrespect to the competition and Shrewsbury. Pep and Klopp are moaning about replays, but the tradition has stood from a long time before they arrived in England and I’d imagine it’ll be around long after they’ve gone.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 21:33 - Jan 27 with 2568 viewsrochdaleriddler

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 20:36 - Jan 27 by sweetcorn

Why lol? United did it for years without having repercussions for doing so. They fielded 8 defenders against Arsenal one round and still managed to win. You’re free to play whatever team you want, no point naming a however many man squad at the start of the season if you can’t use it as you see fit.

The part that takes the piss is klopp saying he won’t manage them, that’s just the ultimate disrespect to the competition and Shrewsbury. Pep and Klopp are moaning about replays, but the tradition has stood from a long time before they arrived in England and I’d imagine it’ll be around long after they’ve gone.

None of Liverpool’s first team squad will play, so it’s not just a case of utilising the fringe players, this will be a team of u-23 and youth team. He obviously thought his fringe players with the fallback of Salah and Firmino would have got the job done yesterday, if he had taken yesterday a bit more seriously, this issue wouldn’t have occurred. I hope they get beaten in the replay

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 22:23 - Jan 27 with 2504 viewsShun

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:25 - Jan 27 by Dalenet

What's the difference between this and the side they put out yesterday. Or their approach to the League cup in December or Uniteds approach to our fixture. They supposedly have deeper squads that can play us off the park so use them. Will still give lower league clubs a day out and a chance to progress. Prize money is the same regardless of who plays. The game has changed and we can't stop it. Indeed without the money we get from the League and TV we would probably be non league now. Just a view of course

United put out pretty much the strongest team they could field against us. Completely different to the kids Shrewsbury drew with.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 22:34 - Jan 27 with 2490 viewsScunnydale

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 22:23 - Jan 27 by Shun

United put out pretty much the strongest team they could field against us. Completely different to the kids Shrewsbury drew with.

Or the kids that beat Everton...

I don't really care about the line-ups Prem teams put out, it's been the same for many years now. However, the attitude to this replay from Klopp is very poor, and I'm a big fan of his.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 23:01 - Jan 27 with 2456 viewssweetcorn

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 21:33 - Jan 27 by rochdaleriddler

None of Liverpool’s first team squad will play, so it’s not just a case of utilising the fringe players, this will be a team of u-23 and youth team. He obviously thought his fringe players with the fallback of Salah and Firmino would have got the job done yesterday, if he had taken yesterday a bit more seriously, this issue wouldn’t have occurred. I hope they get beaten in the replay

So about 3 changes from the side that dumped Everton out then?

The team they play is their choice, there's really no controversy there for me.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 00:25 - Jan 28 with 2400 viewsAtThePeake

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 19:17 - Jan 27 by mikehunt

I appreciate the clubs involved in Europe don't want a fixture pile up but the half dozen or so are ruining footie for the rest of us.
My solution to this would be to allow replays - as many as necessary BUT if any club does not want a replay so be it: It is decided on the day. Now what could be fairer than that? That way, teams who have nothing left to play for in a season, can avoid the lottery of penalties, make a few bob out of a replay and keep TV happy with another game they could possibly screen when there were no others.
Simples!

The clubs in Europe don't want a fixture pile-up...

But have recently voted for more games in European competitions:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-to-expand-champions-league-poses-threat-

Tangled up in blue.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 00:58 - Jan 28 with 2387 viewsdownunder

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 18:50 - Jan 27 by funkkk

They can do what they want but I'd be mightily annoyed if I was a Liverpool fan. Don't see why they would potentially risk going out of the FA cup when they have a good chance of going for a treble. I'm a big fan of Klopp but disagree with him on this. Part of a bigger issue though and it's only a matter of time before the big boys get their way. In terms of fixture congestion I'd be quite happy to scrap all domestic competitions apart from the FA Cup.

How about cutting down the European games? Let's be a bit green, cut down the travelling and air fuel. We get Sky showing European games all the time here, but I do not watch them, because there is too much of it. Go back to a "Champions only" format.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:16 - Jan 28 with 2283 viewsdingdangblue

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 22:23 - Jan 27 by Shun

Hmmm.

DeGea
Maguire
Lindelof
McTominay
James
Martial
Rashford

All didn't start v Dale, it wasn't all kids like the Liverpool team is going to be but it was far from Utds strongest X1.
As for the FA Cup debate - I don't see the problem with Liverpool playing whatever team they like, this break would have been organised months ago with Klopp and his squad probably all heading to Dubai for some warm weather training and relaxation. If I were Shrewsbury I'd love to be going to Anfield to play Liverpool's youth team! They have a great chance of winning and going to Chelsea in the next round.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 8:22]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:24 - Jan 28 with 2267 viewsJames1980

Perhaps scrapping replays would be OK if the lower league team got a larger percentage of gate receipts for cup ties and the solidarity payments were increased.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:32 - Jan 28 with 2253 viewsdingdangblue

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:24 - Jan 28 by James1980

Perhaps scrapping replays would be OK if the lower league team got a larger percentage of gate receipts for cup ties and the solidarity payments were increased.

It's not just about the money though - Shrewsbury have earned that trip to Anfield - it will great occasion for all their fans and players and as it stands they will have a great chance of getting through!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:44 - Jan 28 with 2231 viewsJames1980

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:32 - Jan 28 by dingdangblue

It's not just about the money though - Shrewsbury have earned that trip to Anfield - it will great occasion for all their fans and players and as it stands they will have a great chance of getting through!

Just thinking of a potential compromise, you are absolutely right though.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:44 - Jan 28 with 2230 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:24 - Jan 28 by James1980

I don’t see why replays should be scrapped just to suit 6 teams in European competition James. Certainly not when the big clubs are voting for more champions league games & expanding the europa league.
I agree that there are too many games (& Dale could probably do without the EFL trophy for example) but the more the FA/League cave in to the PL the more the PL will push for yet more concessions. Liverpool could play the kids in 2-3 upcoming PL games & still walk the league, don’t think they’ll want to upset sky or their big sponsors though somehow...
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 09:26 - Jan 28 with 2183 viewsAtThePeake

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 08:44 - Jan 28 by Plattyswrinklynuts

I don’t see why replays should be scrapped just to suit 6 teams in European competition James. Certainly not when the big clubs are voting for more champions league games & expanding the europa league.
I agree that there are too many games (& Dale could probably do without the EFL trophy for example) but the more the FA/League cave in to the PL the more the PL will push for yet more concessions. Liverpool could play the kids in 2-3 upcoming PL games & still walk the league, don’t think they’ll want to upset sky or their big sponsors though somehow...

Exactly. They're 16 points clear at the top of the table, the title is wrapped up, these players will have ample opportunities for rests and breaks in the Premier League in the coming weeks.

Klopp just wants to prove a point and it smacks of disrespect to both Shrewsbury and the FA Cup, a competition that most supporters still love.

Tangled up in blue.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 11:19 - Jan 28 with 2091 viewsrochdaleriddler

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 09:26 - Jan 28 by AtThePeake

Exactly. They're 16 points clear at the top of the table, the title is wrapped up, these players will have ample opportunities for rests and breaks in the Premier League in the coming weeks.

Klopp just wants to prove a point and it smacks of disrespect to both Shrewsbury and the FA Cup, a competition that most supporters still love.

I was amazed to hear that Liverpool’s youth players salary is capped at £40,000 pa, hows a young lad going to be motivated to play for such a pittance!

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 11:33 - Jan 28 with 2073 viewsParkinsGimp

Klopp has found the liVARpool attitude. He will bleat victim , but his disrespect for the FA Cup is disgusting. I dont mind teams using their squad rotation, its good for the younger ones to get experience , but for the manager to come out and say he wont be there is embarrassing and yet another black mark against a horrible club.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 11:50 - Jan 28 with 2048 viewsJames1980

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 11:19 - Jan 28 by rochdaleriddler

I was amazed to hear that Liverpool’s youth players salary is capped at £40,000 pa, hows a young lad going to be motivated to play for such a pittance!

Poor little lambs, do they know Rochdale's Kelvin Andrews (sic) is on more than double.

FTR I don't want replays scrapped was just positing an idea in the event they were.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 12:03 - Jan 28 with 2038 viewsAtThePeake

Brilliant as always from Squires: https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/jan/28/david-squires-on

Tangled up in blue.

FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 12:17 - Jan 28 with 2007 viewspioneer

Problem is broader than Liverpool. Premier League brought in a ‘winter break’ to provide a minimum period for all clubs (and their players) and told clubs not to compromise it by organising other games in this period (eg money generating international friendlies).

Its hard to believe they didnt think of the possibility of FA Cup replays, so back to the lack of governance of the game by the FA.

Clearly where FA Cup replies go ahead they infringe on this winter break for players. Not saying I agree with it. But it Klopp is I suppose in his rights to say I am required to provide my players with this football free period.
FA Cup Replay v Winter Break Froth on 12:26 - Jan 28 with 1986 viewsrod_leach

Can't say I blame him. Other European clubs play fewer games, and our top clubs have to compete with them. With regard to the league, after 30 years I can understand them not taking it for granted. Unfortunately for clubs like ours, the big money will always win out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024