Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 4 3 19:28 - Feb 9 with 1337 viewsJames1980

As Wolves are planning to play Matheson in a 343. Considering it is a free hit is it worth setting up that way on Tuesday?
O'Connell, Mcnulty, McShane
Matheson, Ryan, ? RND
Rathbone, Hendo?

? = can't decide

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

3 4 3 on 19:35 - Feb 9 with 1316 viewsTVOS1907

It isn't a free hit, James.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

3 4 3 on 19:37 - Feb 9 with 1311 viewsJames1980

3 4 3 on 19:35 - Feb 9 by TVOS1907

It isn't a free hit, James.

Sorry boss just thought it isn't a game we are expected to win.

3 4 3 on 19:43 - Feb 9 with 1296 viewsrich_dale

Free hit or not, think our full backs would suit this system anyway - not just Luke but RND and McLaughlin too. Something we could try in certain games. It would prevent having to play Morley or Williams in that strange role, dropping into the LB position to allow RND to bomb on.
3 4 3 on 19:46 - Feb 9 with 1289 viewsTVOS1907

3 4 3 on 19:37 - Feb 9 by James1980

No, probably not, James, but if we have that mindset we are beaten before we've even started.

3 4 3 on 19:50 - Feb 9 with 1277 viewsrichfoad32

We weren't expected to win at Rotherham either. We were unlucky not to get summat against Sunderland at home and they're a decent team, not infallible.
3 4 3 on 19:51 - Feb 9 with 1267 viewsJames1980

3 4 3 on 19:46 - Feb 9 by TVOS1907

No, probably not, James, but if we have that mindset we are beaten before we've even started.

I like the fact you don't agree with the free hit concept.
What do you think of playing 3 4 3?

3 4 3 on 19:56 - Feb 9 with 1248 viewsTVOS1907

3 4 3 on 19:51 - Feb 9 by James1980

I like the fact you don't agree with the free hit concept.
What do you think of playing 3 4 3?

No idea, I couldn't tell you what formation we or any other team play from one game to the next.

3 4 3 on 19:58 - Feb 9 with 1243 viewstodmordendale

It’s a bit of a narrow formation and maybe too tight for us.
I would prefer a 3-5-2 which allows the middle 5 to switch around and drop back or move forward.
Much more flexibility. I think Wolves actually play this.
Login to get fewer ads

3 4 3 on 20:34 - Feb 9 with 1146 viewsboromat

It's definitely not a free hit but I do agree wing backs would suit us. It would stop the need for Morley to go to left back to let RND go forward.

3-5-2 would be my shout especially away from home. Not sure we have the players to play with 2 in the middle.

O'Connell McNulty McShane
Luke Olly Ryan Lund RND
Hendo Alby

Difficult line up to pick at the minute Camps, Morley, Done, Smith, Dooley etc could all be in contention.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

3 4 3 on 04:42 - Feb 10 with 1003 viewsjacko_dale

Surely we should set up in the way that is best for the team, not for Matheson and Wolves' future.
3 4 3 on 05:38 - Feb 10 with 994 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Still a game we can win or at least get a valuable point.
Besides, why should we set a formation to suit either an other club or player?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

3 4 3 on 07:13 - Feb 10 with 949 viewsVivaDonaldo

You hear a lot of coaches and clubs these days talk about formations as if they're fluid throughout the game rather than this is the rigid shape we'll stick to.

We essentially already play a version of a 3-5-2 when we're in possession of the ball. As many have mentioned a Morley or Ryan drops into the centre halves to form a 3 allowing both Luke and RND to push up the pitch.

It feels as though when we're out of possession and trying to defend or win it back that we revert into flat banks of 4 in defence and midfield and sometimes an extra striker tracks back leaving just one up top to press their back line.

I personally like the way we play, looking to keep possession use the ball playing abilities of Morley, McShane and O'Connell and use the attacking nature of RND and Matheson.

Main issue with our style is that attacking chance creation versus possession feels low and we need to be extremely clinical when we get those chances.
3 4 3 on 07:26 - Feb 10 with 944 viewsEllDale

The issue that we have with our pattern of play is that if the opposition employ a vigorous high press then we can get caught in possession all too easily.
It's happened to Williams this season and to Ryan on the odd occasion.
When we played Shrewsbury the other week their best chance came when Morley was boxed in and tried a lofted pass across the box which was intercepted.
3 4 3 on 08:11 - Feb 10 with 906 viewsVivaDonaldo

3 4 3 on 07:26 - Feb 10 by EllDale

The issue that we have with our pattern of play is that if the opposition employ a vigorous high press then we can get caught in possession all too easily.
It's happened to Williams this season and to Ryan on the odd occasion.
When we played Shrewsbury the other week their best chance came when Morley was boxed in and tried a lofted pass across the box which was intercepted.

I think the opposition press is part of the plan because if they commit man to man and you can work around them, you then have the advantage in numbers as you move forward.

It's a very technical style that is difficult to achieve on our budget, but I'd rather watch this than hoof ball every week.
3 4 3 on 09:17 - Feb 10 with 821 viewsAtThePeake

3 4 3 on 19:58 - Feb 9 by todmordendale

It’s a bit of a narrow formation and maybe too tight for us.
I would prefer a 3-5-2 which allows the middle 5 to switch around and drop back or move forward.
Much more flexibility. I think Wolves actually play this.

Wolves played 3-5-2 most of last season with Jota and Jimenez as a front two. This year it's been more of a 3-4-3 with Traore and Jota either side of Jimenez.

Tangled up in blue.

3 4 3 on 09:50 - Feb 10 with 781 viewsJames1980

https://www.soccercoachingpro.com/3-4-3-formation/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024