Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager Interviews: John Coleman 09:00 - Feb 25 with 3286 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/52053/manager-interviews-john-coleman

The latest of Fitzo's excellent manager interviews looking back at John Coleman's spell in charge.

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 11:11 - Feb 25 with 3135 viewskiwidale

Another excellent read the best so far in the series. The die is cast regarding Coleman's time as manager however he displays no rancor towards the club which is commendable given the circumstances surrounding his sacking, John Coleman makes a compelling defense of his time here and I find myself giving him the benefit of any doubt it. Very interesting is his view of internet message boards in general and this one in particular it puts to bed the claim that they dont read what we post. What cant be challenged is his continued and remarkable success at Accrington Stanley allegedly on a tighter budget than ours. Was he shafted? opinion will be split on that but by his account Dunphy and the board did not back him when needed and there is no question that the elephant in the room was Hill. I wish him continued success wherever he ends up.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 11:27]

This is not the time for bickering.

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 13:58 - Feb 25 with 2901 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 11:11 - Feb 25 by kiwidale

Another excellent read the best so far in the series. The die is cast regarding Coleman's time as manager however he displays no rancor towards the club which is commendable given the circumstances surrounding his sacking, John Coleman makes a compelling defense of his time here and I find myself giving him the benefit of any doubt it. Very interesting is his view of internet message boards in general and this one in particular it puts to bed the claim that they dont read what we post. What cant be challenged is his continued and remarkable success at Accrington Stanley allegedly on a tighter budget than ours. Was he shafted? opinion will be split on that but by his account Dunphy and the board did not back him when needed and there is no question that the elephant in the room was Hill. I wish him continued success wherever he ends up.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 11:27]

Although heavily criticised at the time, out of all the interviews undertaken by Fitz he by far comes across the best.
You can tell he’s humble enough to realise his mistakes and he’s undoubtedly learned from them. He went on to win the League Two title with Accy - that’s pretty impressive.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 14:03]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 14:03 - Feb 25 with 2881 viewsScunnydale

Balls. Fat fingers voted it down by mistake.

Another fine interview. He comes out fighting, as we'd expect, and provides an interesting insight into his time at the club. The messageboard bit was hugely interesting.

It didn't work for him at the Dale and I didn't enjoy the majority of the football we played under him, but he's a very good manager at the right club and I wish him the best of luck at Accy or wherever... except against Dale, obvs.
Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:55 - Feb 25 with 2522 viewsShun

Agree with others’ comments, there’s not much to dislike about that interview and he comes across well. I never had any animosity towards him like so many did.

There are some really interesting points in that article:

-He speaks of different camps in the dressing room. I wonder who the ringleaders were.
-Also makes reference to senior figures at the club paying attention to this message board.
-The player who posted on here, surely it’s time we were told who that was now? I’m sure somebody must know, even if it means looking at the email he signed up with.
Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:58 - Feb 25 with 2511 viewsfitzochris

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:55 - Feb 25 by Shun

Agree with others’ comments, there’s not much to dislike about that interview and he comes across well. I never had any animosity towards him like so many did.

There are some really interesting points in that article:

-He speaks of different camps in the dressing room. I wonder who the ringleaders were.
-Also makes reference to senior figures at the club paying attention to this message board.
-The player who posted on here, surely it’s time we were told who that was now? I’m sure somebody must know, even if it means looking at the email he signed up with.

Sadly, data protection will prevent your last request from happening, Shun.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 22:41 - Feb 25 with 2406 viewskiwidale

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:58 - Feb 25 by fitzochris

Sadly, data protection will prevent your last request from happening, Shun.

The good book says "For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known."... somebody on here will know that's what rumours are for, not sure you can be done for a rumour it's staple diet for football forums.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 23:17]

This is not the time for bickering.

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 07:37 - Feb 26 with 2244 viewsEllDale

What a cracking good read.
I'm sure that several people on here will perhaps now see Coleman in a different light.
I suspect that if there were cliques in the dressing room then one may well have consisted of former Hillites and the other of newly recruited Scousers who Coleman had worked with before. But he was fully entitled to recruit people who he knew and trusted.
Would he have been similarly criticised if instead he had signed a load of former Stockport players?
One of the main criticisms of the tenure of Coleman and Bell was that they encouraged all sorts of "cheating" tactics eg rolling round on the floor, besieging the referee, blatant timewasting and other forms of gamesmanship.
Funnily enough (and without wanting to resort to stereotyping) these are exactly the sort of things that Fleetwood are currently accused of - witness Twitter going into meltdown last night from messages from Sunderland fans.
The connection of course is another Scouser in Joey Barton.
Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 08:19 - Feb 26 with 2213 viewsD_Alien

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 07:37 - Feb 26 by EllDale

What a cracking good read.
I'm sure that several people on here will perhaps now see Coleman in a different light.
I suspect that if there were cliques in the dressing room then one may well have consisted of former Hillites and the other of newly recruited Scousers who Coleman had worked with before. But he was fully entitled to recruit people who he knew and trusted.
Would he have been similarly criticised if instead he had signed a load of former Stockport players?
One of the main criticisms of the tenure of Coleman and Bell was that they encouraged all sorts of "cheating" tactics eg rolling round on the floor, besieging the referee, blatant timewasting and other forms of gamesmanship.
Funnily enough (and without wanting to resort to stereotyping) these are exactly the sort of things that Fleetwood are currently accused of - witness Twitter going into meltdown last night from messages from Sunderland fans.
The connection of course is another Scouser in Joey Barton.

It was very much that aspect of his management style that did for him at Dale, and if the messageboard could be transported back to those days i'm pretty sure that'd be obvious enough

He was bringing the club into disrepute - this messageboard told him that - and if the club reached the same conclusion and stopped supporting him, what the hell did he expect?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 08:59 - Feb 26 with 2163 viewsSaxonDale

Decent enough read but obviously a very slanted version of events that he gives. Would be interested to know whether his version of events lined up with Jones' for example.

'The club got what they wanted, though. They got back into League One with Hill. Perhaps they would have got there a season earlier had they kept me and Jimmy, but we’ll never know.' - I'd have been amazed if we had ended up back in League One a season earlier under Coleman.
Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 14:37 - Feb 26 with 1939 viewsfunkkk

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 08:59 - Feb 26 by SaxonDale

Decent enough read but obviously a very slanted version of events that he gives. Would be interested to know whether his version of events lined up with Jones' for example.

'The club got what they wanted, though. They got back into League One with Hill. Perhaps they would have got there a season earlier had they kept me and Jimmy, but we’ll never know.' - I'd have been amazed if we had ended up back in League One a season earlier under Coleman.

It probably wouldn't, but then, I wouldn't take his words as gospel either.
Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:13 - Feb 26 with 1738 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Pretty sure that it was widely rumoured it was Ashley Grimes who was messaging on here, nothing was ever confirmed but it makes sense.

Another cracking interview fitz, clearly it’s very much Coleman fighting his corner, as you would expect, and personally I don’t buy the Gary Jones thing at all.

Gary Jones was and is a legend and probably had more influence than Coleman had, as such was a threat and probably did not help in the dressing room divisions.

My opinion on Coleman has not changed at all, although nice to read his side of the story.

His professionalism is that of an over achieving non league manager, which makes an over achieving non league club like accy perfect.

Thanks again fitz, btw how did he come across? Did his body language and tone match his words or was there a level of resentment in how he was treated that does not come across in words?

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:40 - Feb 26 with 1692 viewsfitzochris

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:13 - Feb 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

Pretty sure that it was widely rumoured it was Ashley Grimes who was messaging on here, nothing was ever confirmed but it makes sense.

Another cracking interview fitz, clearly it’s very much Coleman fighting his corner, as you would expect, and personally I don’t buy the Gary Jones thing at all.

Gary Jones was and is a legend and probably had more influence than Coleman had, as such was a threat and probably did not help in the dressing room divisions.

My opinion on Coleman has not changed at all, although nice to read his side of the story.

His professionalism is that of an over achieving non league manager, which makes an over achieving non league club like accy perfect.

Thanks again fitz, btw how did he come across? Did his body language and tone match his words or was there a level of resentment in how he was treated that does not come across in words?

He actually came across really well. Very open and not at all nervous. Quite charismatic, actually. I I I didn’t get any resentment vibes from him at all. We got on fine but, as with all of these interviews, it is just one person’s version of events.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:46 - Feb 26 with 1679 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:13 - Feb 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

Your penultimate paragraph is exceptionally arrogant. He won the League 2 title with Accy with 93 points. There’s a strong argument that his achievements are greater than Hills were at Dale.
They finished above us last season and are currently above us this season.
Don’t get all Bury F.C (deceased) now. As they, with fook all to watch on a Saturday will tell you, history is nothing, present is everything.

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:49 - Feb 26 with 1676 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:40 - Feb 26 by fitzochris

He actually came across really well. Very open and not at all nervous. Quite charismatic, actually. I I I didn’t get any resentment vibes from him at all. We got on fine but, as with all of these interviews, it is just one person’s version of events.

Thanks. I think he is very savvy and tbh his success at accy and time served makes them a match made in heaven!

You must be getting near the Keith Hill one soon!!!

Are you thinking of interviewing flicker, who was very close to getting the managers job after Keith went?

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 22:46 - Feb 26 with 1569 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:46 - Feb 26 by BigDaveMyCock

Your penultimate paragraph is exceptionally arrogant. He won the League 2 title with Accy with 93 points. There’s a strong argument that his achievements are greater than Hills were at Dale.
They finished above us last season and are currently above us this season.
Don’t get all Bury F.C (deceased) now. As they, with fook all to watch on a Saturday will tell you, history is nothing, present is everything.

Not arrogant at all, Coleman has done an exceptional job at Accrington and like Keith here, it worked.

Personally I agree that Coleman has achieved way more than Hill did at respective clubs, way more in fairness, he just fits that club in a way hill (once) fitted here.

If you take a club from lower non league to division 1, your heart is there, forget the cash etc, Accrington is a Coleman club, it just is.

If you mistook my post as arrogant apologies.

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 10:54 - Feb 27 with 1328 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 22:46 - Feb 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

Not arrogant at all, Coleman has done an exceptional job at Accrington and like Keith here, it worked.

Personally I agree that Coleman has achieved way more than Hill did at respective clubs, way more in fairness, he just fits that club in a way hill (once) fitted here.

If you take a club from lower non league to division 1, your heart is there, forget the cash etc, Accrington is a Coleman club, it just is.

If you mistook my post as arrogant apologies.

No apologies required our kid.
Accy have been a league club for nearly 15 years. Save for a very short stint at Southport, Coleman has been a league manager for much of that time.
Why refer to them both as non-league? It’s disrespectful and comes across arrogant - which I’m sure you’re not btw.

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 20:34 - Feb 27 with 1160 viewspioneer

Manager Interviews: John Coleman on 10:54 - Feb 27 by BigDaveMyCock

No apologies required our kid.
Accy have been a league club for nearly 15 years. Save for a very short stint at Southport, Coleman has been a league manager for much of that time.
Why refer to them both as non-league? It’s disrespectful and comes across arrogant - which I’m sure you’re not btw.

He also had a short spell managing in league of ireland... might have been Sligo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024