Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus 10:39 - Mar 4 with 75505 viewselectricblue

With the spread of this illness what are the chances of games getting called postponed and the season not being completed.....

What would the financial knock on effect be to lower league clubs.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Coronavirus on 14:54 - Mar 20 with 2621 viewssandylaner

Coronavirus on 14:39 - Mar 20 by nordenblue

That's what my Mrs Is/was in, she managed a team at head office that recruited then trained franchisees to work from home in the leisure side of travel, with a different side of the business being the corporate travel. Year on year apparently its 90% down from this exact week 12 months ago.

It will pick up without a shadow of a doubt,us Brits are a hardy bunch and when everything else goes to rat shit and lifes tough,we all love to book a holiday as a release.
It's just the terminal damage its currently causing to many business/individuals on the way down,will be the main problem in the future.

Year on year i.e. Jan - March this year as opposed to Jan - March last year I'm actually a little bit up.

March v last March as a single month is a different story though, 90% down with just 1 booking
Coronavirus on 15:28 - Mar 20 with 2555 views49thseason

Looks like giving older people a flu jab may turn out to be a mistake. apparently a 36% increased risk of catching CV
https://www.disabledveterans.org/2020/03/11/flu-vaccine-increases-coronavirus-ri
Coronavirus on 15:47 - Mar 20 with 2539 viewsjonesy

Coronavirus on 14:41 - Mar 20 by BigDaveMyCock

Like a sh!t Alf Garnett.

Wow. I seem to have got you going 😁🤣
Coronavirus on 16:01 - Mar 20 with 2514 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Coronavirus on 15:47 - Mar 20 by jonesy

Wow. I seem to have got you going 😁🤣

Oh yeah I’m proper livid. I think I put my cup of coffee down with a bit more force than usual. You gammons eh?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Coronavirus on 16:01 - Mar 20 with 2507 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 15:28 - Mar 20 by 49thseason

Looks like giving older people a flu jab may turn out to be a mistake. apparently a 36% increased risk of catching CV
https://www.disabledveterans.org/2020/03/11/flu-vaccine-increases-coronavirus-ri

Hmmm... interesting. Whatever the current level of knowledge is, there's always something in nature that'll come along to confound it

The law of unintended consequences may have struck again, although follow-up studies would be needed

Since flu vaccination is targeted at the most vulnerable groups in the population, plus the NHS encourages take-up among its staff, this could not only skew the figures in terms of likelihood of different age-groups contracting the virus, but bugger the potential take-up of the flu vaccine next winter, with further untold consequences

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Coronavirus on 16:26 - Mar 20 with 2457 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 10:54 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

Talks with trade unions and employers to get it right only concluded in the early hours of this morning, but i'm expecting the worker support package to be announced later today will make the vital difference that keeps everyone's heads above water, you and your missus included

It'd bloody well better do

Many firms already sacking people, Brittania hotels being one, these firms need avoiding when this is over. I guess they will sack staff but still take govt support

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Coronavirus on 16:32 - Mar 20 with 2438 viewsjonesy

Coronavirus on 16:01 - Mar 20 by BigDaveMyCock

Oh yeah I’m proper livid. I think I put my cup of coffee down with a bit more force than usual. You gammons eh?

oooh🤣
Coronavirus on 17:38 - Mar 20 with 2361 viewsAtThePeake

Blows my mind that fully grown adults, in a time of global crisis, are using a football supporters' messageboard to try and wind up people they've never met before.

Grow up, FFS.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus on 17:50 - Mar 20 with 2343 viewsmightydale

Coronavirus on 17:38 - Mar 20 by AtThePeake

Blows my mind that fully grown adults, in a time of global crisis, are using a football supporters' messageboard to try and wind up people they've never met before.

Grow up, FFS.

Sad fcukers

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Coronavirus on 17:55 - Mar 20 with 2321 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 16:26 - Mar 20 by rochdaleriddler

Many firms already sacking people, Brittania hotels being one, these firms need avoiding when this is over. I guess they will sack staff but still take govt support

All employees on a payroll as of the 1 March will be entitled to 80% of their salary (up to £2500pm) - therefore, there is no need for any employer to make people redundant, and those already having been made redundant should be re-instated, no ifs or buts

Universal credit is being increased/extended, in addition to mortgage & rent support

I said the government had bloody well make sure they provided proper support - they've done that
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 17:57]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Coronavirus on 18:07 - Mar 20 with 2287 viewsjonesy

Don’t think there was anything wrong with my initial post Stating facts. Testing kits would e better employed on nhs employees. As for this being a football forum I think most people posting on now are discussing Coronavirus?
Coronavirus on 18:09 - Mar 20 with 2286 viewsDorislove

Coronavirus on 17:55 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

All employees on a payroll as of the 1 March will be entitled to 80% of their salary (up to £2500pm) - therefore, there is no need for any employer to make people redundant, and those already having been made redundant should be re-instated, no ifs or buts

Universal credit is being increased/extended, in addition to mortgage & rent support

I said the government had bloody well make sure they provided proper support - they've done that

Got to say didnt see that coming to be honest ,not that good a response .Just goes to show what troubled times the world is in and in 12/18 months time when the dust settles hopefully priorities will change for the better .(Maybe not but one hopes so)
Coronavirus on 18:20 - Mar 20 with 2259 viewsAtThePeake

Coronavirus on 18:07 - Mar 20 by jonesy

Don’t think there was anything wrong with my initial post Stating facts. Testing kits would e better employed on nhs employees. As for this being a football forum I think most people posting on now are discussing Coronavirus?

I have seen nothing in the news or online to suggest your original post was in any way factual. If you can prove otherwise, then fair enough, but without any evidence it reads more like an inane, unfounded ramble than it does a fact.

Discussion is fine and indeed has proven really helpful in some cases on here for a lot of messageboard users, which is great - but is this really the time or place to be revelling in trying to wind people up? I can't get my head around it.

Tangled up in blue.

Coronavirus on 18:20 - Mar 20 with 2257 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 17:55 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

I agree it is what was needed, I hope unscrupulous employers can’t take advantage of the fact the dosh is going to them and not direct to the staff

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Coronavirus on 18:27 - Mar 20 with 2225 views442Dale

Coronavirus on 18:20 - Mar 20 by AtThePeake

I have seen nothing in the news or online to suggest your original post was in any way factual. If you can prove otherwise, then fair enough, but without any evidence it reads more like an inane, unfounded ramble than it does a fact.

Discussion is fine and indeed has proven really helpful in some cases on here for a lot of messageboard users, which is great - but is this really the time or place to be revelling in trying to wind people up? I can't get my head around it.

Good post.

Been said a million times, until people stop being selfish and self-obsessed, including their need to get across their views that they know will only create further aggravation, this situation will never ever be resolved.

Have a think. Everyone.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Coronavirus on 18:33 - Mar 20 with 2220 viewsDorislove

Coronavirus on 18:20 - Mar 20 by rochdaleriddler

I agree it is what was needed, I hope unscrupulous employers can’t take advantage of the fact the dosh is going to them and not direct to the staff

There is no question this is going to happen ,problem is government is dammed if you do and damned if you dont help the workforce ,i just think the smallish monority that cheats the system (which happens day in day out ) will be outwayed by joe bloggs you and i getting a paypacket every month .Id bubble the c--ts to the authorities if i saw it ,would never have done it in the past.
Coronavirus on 19:12 - Mar 20 with 2152 viewsjonesy

Coronavirus on 18:20 - Mar 20 by AtThePeake

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8131051/Migrants-wearing-coronavirus-fa

I know it is the Daily Mail which doesn’t go down well with some people but I think downright lying is unlikely. We are particularly interested as we used to live on the coast about 10 miles from Dover. Everyone in the area knows what is happening but it is conveniently ignored by the mainstream media. If nhs staff were tested when unwell and found to not have coronovirus they could be back at work much sooner than at present. Hope this is of interest and doesn’t lead to more “discussions “.
Hope everyone keeps well. Honestly.
Coronavirus on 19:18 - Mar 20 with 2130 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 19:12 - Mar 20 by jonesy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8131051/Migrants-wearing-coronavirus-fa

I know it is the Daily Mail which doesn’t go down well with some people but I think downright lying is unlikely. We are particularly interested as we used to live on the coast about 10 miles from Dover. Everyone in the area knows what is happening but it is conveniently ignored by the mainstream media. If nhs staff were tested when unwell and found to not have coronovirus they could be back at work much sooner than at present. Hope this is of interest and doesn’t lead to more “discussions “.
Hope everyone keeps well. Honestly.

The lack of testing of nhs staff isn’t connected to the testing of refugees . We should be testing everyone, as per WHO. My wife has had a cough for two weeks, no one knows if she has had cv or not. If she was clear she could go back to caring for others

Coronavirus on 19:41 - Mar 20 with 2112 viewsNigeriamark

Coronavirus on 16:01 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

Hmmm... interesting. Whatever the current level of knowledge is, there's always something in nature that'll come along to confound it

The law of unintended consequences may have struck again, although follow-up studies would be needed

Since flu vaccination is targeted at the most vulnerable groups in the population, plus the NHS encourages take-up among its staff, this could not only skew the figures in terms of likelihood of different age-groups contracting the virus, but bugger the potential take-up of the flu vaccine next winter, with further untold consequences

there are 2 threads to the Covid-19, the original one of what is the impact of this disease on health and now the impact on economies, jobs etc which will also impact on health in a different way ( stress, suicides etc).

On the former, where DA talks about current levels of knowledge, now that we are about 3 months into this there seems to be some actual data coming out from the medical community including some interesting data from Italy which has been one of the most significantly hit countries. I was on a phone call last night for an update on what is happening there & there is also some interesting data published in the Lancet. I'll give a couple of stats from these data sources but as this is a situation that is causing some panic I just want to add that the second data is just what I jotted down from a phone call & I wasn't paying that much attention (so can only put down the stuff I actually got). As I am also someone who complains about heresy in such situations I also agree that I am now also somewhat engaging in in it and I can't give you an article, so if you want to completely ignore it then you have every right to do so. However for the other data I have added a link to the Lancet article

1. The Lancet article https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30627-9/fullt

This article is specifically looking at the implications of the most serious cases & if they have enough ICU beds etc to cope. It's a bit inconclusive but of interest is the data collected on the first 827 deaths:-

* 66.3% were 80+, 32.4% were 70 - 79, 8.4% were 60 - 69 and then it tapers off after that. The median age for men was just under 80 years old and women just over 83 ( overall average of 81)
* more than two-thirds of these patients had diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, or cancer, or were former smokers.
*80% were men and 20% women which I will explain below

I actually found this 4:1 ratio very interesting so I thought I would nosey around the China situation because I seemed to remember a similar claim earlier. If you are going to do a "true" comparison of women and men you have to compare like for like groups ( similar age, health etc). In China the groups were not really comparable because due to culture there many of the old men initially looked at had been smoking for years and had lung problems, whereas the women hadn't. I assume if you put the Chinese patients into comparable groups ( non smokers male v Female and smokers male v female) then you would not see the same phenomena. The real message is more likely to be that the coronavirus kills more long term chronic smokers than non smokers which is hardly going to come as a surprise because so do a number of other illnesses including flu.I wonder if this is the reason for the Italian data showing this 80% / 20% split in deaths? I don't know so I am only bringing this last bit up because it seems interesting (to me anyway)

2. My Call last night
I was on a call discussing Italian ( & some global date I think) which was not focused on those severe/fatal cases but on what is happening to a "normal" person who gets the virus

1. 85% of people are sick for 3-7 days with fever/throat/nose type problems
2. A further 10% have similar symptoms but it lasts up to 14 days
3.the death rate was mentioned at about 80 which ties in roughly with the 81 above
4. The death rate seems to be approx 1.2-1.3% ( I assume someone is calculating how many people have the virus but are not showing symptoms). The flu rate is somewhere around 0.8 - 0.9% ( not sure if that was last time or an average of a few years)

I think there was some other stuff but as a wasn't paying that much attention I'm not going to put any guesses on here but have asked someone to let me know if it gets published

My own take & feelings on this putting the 2 bits of data together ( which an expert would say you can't do ) is as follows:-

1. Prior to this data my concerns about the health risk of COVID - 19 with respect to other diseases was very low. With what I am reading now this has changed from low to very low. I would add at this point that this is only how I feel and if anyone else feels the opposite it's an equally valid view as it's all about different opinions of the same data

2. If I was to only look at actual data, changes in infection rates, death rates etc over the last 3 months and eliminate the newspapers/social media/point scoring etc my take would be:-

* in most of the population COVID-19 seems to actually be less contagious than flu and colds, and for those who got it, it is similar in severity to a cold rather than seasonal flu
* In the vulnerable groups ( which mirror those affected by flu) it also seems less contagious but for those who are unlucky enough to get it, seems to be more serious, & more akin to getting full blown flu

It's all about opinions of course and the data and outcomes will change and be fine tuned as more data from more countries is released ( probably already has but I couldn't be bothered to look). My biggest worry is now the fall out for all those who will be seeing jobs. businesses etc hit trouble and who's pensions, savings etc are going to be hit.
Coronavirus on 19:55 - Mar 20 with 2093 viewsjonesy

Coronavirus on 19:18 - Mar 20 by rochdaleriddler

The lack of testing of nhs staff isn’t connected to the testing of refugees . We should be testing everyone, as per WHO. My wife has had a cough for two weeks, no one knows if she has had cv or not. If she was clear she could go back to caring for others

Thought not testing nhs stafff is due to the lack or cost of test kits? True everyone should be tested. I think what you are saying about your wife is what I said?
Coronavirus (n/t) on 20:08 - Mar 20 with 2064 viewskiwidale

[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 20:14]

This is not the time for bickering.

Coronavirus on 20:13 - Mar 20 with 2042 viewskiwidale

Coronavirus on 19:41 - Mar 20 by Nigeriamark

there are 2 threads to the Covid-19, the original one of what is the impact of this disease on health and now the impact on economies, jobs etc which will also impact on health in a different way ( stress, suicides etc).

On the former, where DA talks about current levels of knowledge, now that we are about 3 months into this there seems to be some actual data coming out from the medical community including some interesting data from Italy which has been one of the most significantly hit countries. I was on a phone call last night for an update on what is happening there & there is also some interesting data published in the Lancet. I'll give a couple of stats from these data sources but as this is a situation that is causing some panic I just want to add that the second data is just what I jotted down from a phone call & I wasn't paying that much attention (so can only put down the stuff I actually got). As I am also someone who complains about heresy in such situations I also agree that I am now also somewhat engaging in in it and I can't give you an article, so if you want to completely ignore it then you have every right to do so. However for the other data I have added a link to the Lancet article

1. The Lancet article https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30627-9/fullt

This article is specifically looking at the implications of the most serious cases & if they have enough ICU beds etc to cope. It's a bit inconclusive but of interest is the data collected on the first 827 deaths:-

* 66.3% were 80+, 32.4% were 70 - 79, 8.4% were 60 - 69 and then it tapers off after that. The median age for men was just under 80 years old and women just over 83 ( overall average of 81)
* more than two-thirds of these patients had diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, or cancer, or were former smokers.
*80% were men and 20% women which I will explain below

I actually found this 4:1 ratio very interesting so I thought I would nosey around the China situation because I seemed to remember a similar claim earlier. If you are going to do a "true" comparison of women and men you have to compare like for like groups ( similar age, health etc). In China the groups were not really comparable because due to culture there many of the old men initially looked at had been smoking for years and had lung problems, whereas the women hadn't. I assume if you put the Chinese patients into comparable groups ( non smokers male v Female and smokers male v female) then you would not see the same phenomena. The real message is more likely to be that the coronavirus kills more long term chronic smokers than non smokers which is hardly going to come as a surprise because so do a number of other illnesses including flu.I wonder if this is the reason for the Italian data showing this 80% / 20% split in deaths? I don't know so I am only bringing this last bit up because it seems interesting (to me anyway)

2. My Call last night
I was on a call discussing Italian ( & some global date I think) which was not focused on those severe/fatal cases but on what is happening to a "normal" person who gets the virus

1. 85% of people are sick for 3-7 days with fever/throat/nose type problems
2. A further 10% have similar symptoms but it lasts up to 14 days
3.the death rate was mentioned at about 80 which ties in roughly with the 81 above
4. The death rate seems to be approx 1.2-1.3% ( I assume someone is calculating how many people have the virus but are not showing symptoms). The flu rate is somewhere around 0.8 - 0.9% ( not sure if that was last time or an average of a few years)

I think there was some other stuff but as a wasn't paying that much attention I'm not going to put any guesses on here but have asked someone to let me know if it gets published

My own take & feelings on this putting the 2 bits of data together ( which an expert would say you can't do ) is as follows:-

1. Prior to this data my concerns about the health risk of COVID - 19 with respect to other diseases was very low. With what I am reading now this has changed from low to very low. I would add at this point that this is only how I feel and if anyone else feels the opposite it's an equally valid view as it's all about different opinions of the same data

2. If I was to only look at actual data, changes in infection rates, death rates etc over the last 3 months and eliminate the newspapers/social media/point scoring etc my take would be:-

* in most of the population COVID-19 seems to actually be less contagious than flu and colds, and for those who got it, it is similar in severity to a cold rather than seasonal flu
* In the vulnerable groups ( which mirror those affected by flu) it also seems less contagious but for those who are unlucky enough to get it, seems to be more serious, & more akin to getting full blown flu

It's all about opinions of course and the data and outcomes will change and be fine tuned as more data from more countries is released ( probably already has but I couldn't be bothered to look). My biggest worry is now the fall out for all those who will be seeing jobs. businesses etc hit trouble and who's pensions, savings etc are going to be hit.

If I hadn't read this thread it sounds like a typical flu old people die of it every year

This is not the time for bickering.

Coronavirus on 20:51 - Mar 20 with 1995 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 19:55 - Mar 20 by jonesy

Thought not testing nhs stafff is due to the lack or cost of test kits? True everyone should be tested. I think what you are saying about your wife is what I said?

Not really , it makes sense to test people coming into the uk, if only we hadn’t just let Spanish footy fans, people from Italy and China in with no tests up till v recently

Coronavirus on 22:32 - Mar 20 with 1887 viewsnordenblue

Coronavirus on 12:36 - Mar 20 by DaleiLama

Sorry to hear that NB. Even with transferable skills, redeployment would be a miracle at the moment. Just hope her company and BoJo stand behind their promises and you aren't disadvantaged too much.

Cheers DL much appreciated,it seems her firm have jumped the gun a bit with the speed they reacted to slash the workforce, wait to see what this weeks consultation brings but the odds are massively against her,but ultimately I'm not sure in all honesty she'd want to stay at a company thats so quick to throw its staff under a bus at the first sign of dodgy waters, it sadly goes totally against all the bullshit "work family" and "core values" they spout about over all their brand.
Coronavirus on 22:38 - Mar 20 with 1884 viewsnordenblue

Coronavirus on 11:39 - Mar 20 by kel

Sorry to hear that. I was made redundant at the end of feb for the first time in my working life and I know how worrying it can be. Luckily I work in an industry where there always seems to be a job knocking about and I started a new one this week before it got proper mad. Hopefully my new place can take the hit.

Good luck to you and your family.

Cheers Kel much appreciated, it's not necessarily the financial side of things thats the immediate issue as we've always been pretty clever with our money it's the whole hassle of trying to find employment whilst 2 young kids run us ragged especially now they're both at home 7 days a week as of today, oh happy days...

Least now I've got something else to moan about since the selfish barstewards knocked the football on the head
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024