Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus 10:39 - Mar 4 with 73891 viewselectricblue

With the spread of this illness what are the chances of games getting called postponed and the season not being completed.....

What would the financial knock on effect be to lower league clubs.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Coronavirus on 17:29 - Mar 10 with 3451 viewsEllGazzell

Coronavirus on 16:25 - Mar 10 by SandyDrum

If she got a permanent contract we'd move over here in an instant! Sadly never going to happen.

If you see a Dale top in the Flora area give me a wave.

I know what you mean!! Can't you claim asylum here?

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Coronavirus on 18:58 - Mar 10 with 3302 views442Dale

Interesting thread on twitter. Dale get a mention in the replies.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Coronavirus on 07:38 - Mar 11 with 3106 viewsDalenet

So first game on UK soil now postponed. It is going happen across the UK now isn't it? I can see this weekend being the last games of the season.
Coronavirus on 08:08 - Mar 11 with 3083 viewsDaleiLama

Coronavirus on 07:38 - Mar 11 by Dalenet

So first game on UK soil now postponed. It is going happen across the UK now isn't it? I can see this weekend being the last games of the season.

This looks more like a self-postponement due to self-isolation rather than an edict. But you may be right anyway ……….

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Coronavirus on 08:57 - Mar 11 with 3021 viewsD_Alien

I'm not so sure. Viruses have a natural way of working through a population; when the authorities talk of the "delay" phase what they mean is it's going to happen anyway but measures can be put in place to spread the peak so that it doesn't load full pressure onto health services in the early days

But there is also a theory that delay can result in more fatalities in the longer term, as a slightly lower peak lasts longer

In the end, viruses lose their virulence as populations develop a natural immunity. I guess the natural reaction is to avoid situations where there's evidence that a positively-tested person has been identified, as per the Arsenal fixture, but it could simply be a case of swings and roundabouts

It's an impossible call to make - quite literally

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Coronavirus on 09:38 - Mar 11 with 2954 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 08:57 - Mar 11 by D_Alien

I'm not so sure. Viruses have a natural way of working through a population; when the authorities talk of the "delay" phase what they mean is it's going to happen anyway but measures can be put in place to spread the peak so that it doesn't load full pressure onto health services in the early days

But there is also a theory that delay can result in more fatalities in the longer term, as a slightly lower peak lasts longer

In the end, viruses lose their virulence as populations develop a natural immunity. I guess the natural reaction is to avoid situations where there's evidence that a positively-tested person has been identified, as per the Arsenal fixture, but it could simply be a case of swings and roundabouts

It's an impossible call to make - quite literally

The problem is that by the time a person has tested positive they have been infectious for several days prior. The Chinese and now Italian response is really the way to limit the spread , we will be doing it, but too late I reckon. Now where’s my pasta and toilet roll ?

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Coronavirus on 10:12 - Mar 11 with 2906 viewspioneer

Coronavirus on 09:38 - Mar 11 by rochdaleriddler

The problem is that by the time a person has tested positive they have been infectious for several days prior. The Chinese and now Italian response is really the way to limit the spread , we will be doing it, but too late I reckon. Now where’s my pasta and toilet roll ?

Precisely.

I was in Ontario during the SARS crisis. To enter the building were I was visiting you were required to go through the underground car park and be screened every day. Any risk factors like high temperature, cough runny nose etc and you were sent home and told to stay home. It didnt matter whether you had SARS or not those symptoms were enough.

In australia todaythe chief medical officer, who is a cancer doc with no background in public health, has told folks its a mild illness and simply having flu symptoms does not warrant a test. He says you must have travelled from overseas recently or had contact with someone confirmed with the disease. Howeverthey are not releasing details of who has the virus , only numbers, so how does anyone know?

It seems like most countries are treating this as an economic problem not a health problem and policy is being driven by those considerations.

Blimey public health as we know it came to life in the 19th century when the doc stopped treating patients presenting with cholera and turned off the supply of water tothe water pump these folks were drinking from. We didnt simply tell folks not to drink the water and hope they obeyed.

Public health problems require public health policies. Instead most countries seem to have handed thinking over to clinicians whose expertise is in treating the sick not protecting the well.

It seems like few countries are learning from the experience in Wuhan and northern italy and appear to be on the road to repeating their mistakes. They may have finally got it right (they appear to have in Wuhan), but only after getting it badly wrong at first.
Coronavirus on 12:49 - Mar 11 with 2756 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 09:38 - Mar 11 by rochdaleriddler

That's a very well known feature of Covid-19, and is taken into account in decision-making at geographical level. Each country must do what it feels the evidence suggests, and at the right time. I note the German government is resisting the calls among it's (naturally) worried citizens to close it's borders, "like Austria has done". Regardless of whether the border in each country is closed, i expect the rate of contraction of the virus and the resulting rate of fatalities will be roughly similar

Got my pack-of-nine in yesterday, one of the last on the shelves

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus on 13:30 - Mar 11 with 2684 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 12:49 - Mar 11 by D_Alien

That's a very well known feature of Covid-19, and is taken into account in decision-making at geographical level. Each country must do what it feels the evidence suggests, and at the right time. I note the German government is resisting the calls among it's (naturally) worried citizens to close it's borders, "like Austria has done". Regardless of whether the border in each country is closed, i expect the rate of contraction of the virus and the resulting rate of fatalities will be roughly similar

Got my pack-of-nine in yesterday, one of the last on the shelves

Amateur, I’ve got 38!, mind I usually buy in packs of 24, so only a small increase. I already have about 20 tins of soup, from when they were 5p at the company shop

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Coronavirus on 14:15 - Mar 11 with 2619 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 13:30 - Mar 11 by rochdaleriddler

Amateur, I’ve got 38!, mind I usually buy in packs of 24, so only a small increase. I already have about 20 tins of soup, from when they were 5p at the company shop

You must have more storage space than me!

Just as an afterthought, i wonder if many regular fans will self-isolate themselves from the COA for the duration? It'd be interesting to hear from anyone (symptom & contact free) who's planning on doing so, absolutely without prejudice or criticism

Coronavirus on 14:24 - Mar 11 with 2592 viewsjudd

Coronavirus on 14:15 - Mar 11 by D_Alien

Just as an afterthought, i wonder if many regular fans will self-isolate themselves from the COA for the duration? It'd be interesting to hear from anyone (symptom & contact free) who's planning on doing so, absolutely without prejudice or criticism

I tried to stay away earlier in the season, such was the dire fayre on offer, but simply couldn't.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Coronavirus on 14:29 - Mar 11 with 2578 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 14:24 - Mar 11 by judd

I tried to stay away earlier in the season, such was the dire fayre on offer, but simply couldn't.

A bit drastic, because the pies were shite?!

(But #metoo after the Coventry game, until BBM started making the right noises)

Coronavirus on 14:52 - Mar 11 with 2544 viewsjudd

Coronavirus on 14:29 - Mar 11 by D_Alien

A bit drastic, because the pies were shite?!

(But #metoo after the Coventry game, until BBM started making the right noises)

The pies, beer and particularly the football almost the entire season. It was the 2nd half performance v Newcastle that fanned the embers and I had a feeling we would change tactics to flummox Rotherham, but otherwise it's been grim.

Coronavirus on 14:54 - Mar 11 with 2538 viewsDaleiLama

Coronavirus on 14:15 - Mar 11 by D_Alien

After the Coventry game I did consider self-flagellation. But I'm all in for the rest of the season now. If it's my time it might as well come as a result of doing something I enjoy (mostly).

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Coronavirus on 15:28 - Mar 11 with 2489 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 14:52 - Mar 11 by judd

The pies, beer and particularly the football almost the entire season. It was the 2nd half performance v Newcastle that fanned the embers and I had a feeling we would change tactics to flummox Rotherham, but otherwise it's been grim.

Ive avoided the pies as I’m on a diet, I’ve stopped sipping the ale as it’s rank, and I’m too much of a masochist to stop going for the actual football

Coronavirus on 17:59 - Mar 11 with 2394 viewstony_roch975

Coronavirus on 14:54 - Mar 11 by DaleiLama

After the Coventry game I did consider self-flagellation. But I'm all in for the rest of the season now. If it's my time it might as well come as a result of doing something I enjoy (mostly).

yep, decided on the balance of probability I've had my time so if it's coronavirus..... shook hands with all around me on Saturday and plan the same next Tuesday

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Coronavirus on 18:25 - Mar 11 with 2348 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/133203/coronavir

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Coronavirus on 19:50 - Mar 11 with 2252 viewsmingthemerciless

Coronavirus on 18:25 - Mar 11 by James1980

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/133203/coronavir

It was only a matter of time unfortunately.
Coronavirus on 20:32 - Mar 11 with 2197 viewsrochdaleriddler

Emergency legislation coming in next few days according to the health secretary

Coronavirus on 22:49 - Mar 11 with 2107 viewsKenBoon

There's more cases where I work and i'd be surprised if it stopped there, loads are having to go into isolation because they were with an affected person. You have to tell Public Health England everyone you'd been in close proximity to so they can contact them. How is that going to work when you've been to the Football. Playing it behind closed doors just pushes people into Pubs.

There's no way any football matches will be happening after next weekend. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this weekend's games were all postponed. I hope the efl and premier league take the approach of stopping the season and not the behind closed doors approach. With the Italian season being off until the start of April UEFA and the rest of Europe have to do similar. Finish the season off in the summer and delay the Euros until next Summer. RIP our pitch plans though.
Coronavirus on 23:17 - Mar 11 with 2070 viewsShun

I can’t see it myself. If they begin to play behind closed doors games I look forward to them doing the same every winter when influenza rolls around.
Coronavirus on 00:01 - Mar 12 with 2019 viewsKenBoon

Coronavirus on 23:17 - Mar 11 by Shun

I can’t see it myself. If they begin to play behind closed doors games I look forward to them doing the same every winter when influenza rolls around.

This is different because there's no vaccine and it is REALLY contagious. That UK figure of 500 is nonsense. There's probably 500 in Greater Manchester alone. It won't make most people too ill and it'd be brushed off as being under the weather but more vulnerable people (who currently get flu jabs) can get very seriously ill/die.
Coronavirus on 00:22 - Mar 12 with 1994 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 00:01 - Mar 12 by KenBoon

This is different because there's no vaccine and it is REALLY contagious. That UK figure of 500 is nonsense. There's probably 500 in Greater Manchester alone. It won't make most people too ill and it'd be brushed off as being under the weather but more vulnerable people (who currently get flu jabs) can get very seriously ill/die.

Are you thinking you're informing a healthcare professional of summat he doesn't already know?

It's fine having an opinion about what should be done, but inappropriate to post as if you have some special insight because of what's happening where you work

There are no certainties, only probabilities based on best evidence, and that's the approach being taken by government after consulting with a wide range of experts in different fields

If games are postponed, so be it, but don't be surprised if they're not - or at least not yet

Coronavirus on 08:27 - Mar 12 with 1875 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 23:17 - Mar 11 by Shun

This is 10 times more lethal than ‘normal’ flu, I reckon games will be off/behind closed doors v soon
Edit. The Times reporting that once cases top 500 all games will be behind closed doors, with season ticket holders able to watch games on tv/I follow . This could happen from today !
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 8:37]

Coronavirus on 08:40 - Mar 12 with 1848 viewsjudd

Coronavirus on 08:27 - Mar 12 by rochdaleriddler

This is 10 times more lethal than ‘normal’ flu, I reckon games will be off/behind closed doors v soon
Edit. The Times reporting that once cases top 500 all games will be behind closed doors, with season ticket holders able to watch games on tv/I follow . This could happen from today !
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 8:37]

The Times is also reporting that pubs will be banned from showing games in pubs because fans are in closer proximity to each other in a pub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024